Could it be? PART 8!! Pink Pony riders club. Insanity is welcome, sanity is not.

Mika4Life13

All the PPR had come over to our tent now. They were discussing the situation, while I was feeling a little awkward. I still didn't know them all, and even though some of them were eyeing me, apparently knowing who I was, they didn't really know me. "Actually, this Movement story does seem pretty honest to me. It's just a shame they had to go over to doing attacks themselves. Our biggest problem might be spies from both the Nation and the Confederation", I tried contributing to the discussion. People were looking at me, some nodding. Then M asked, "Do you know who we are?" I nodded. "Yeah. Nobu told me the other ... week. Before they put me unconscious to stay in that room you guys got me out of when the gas came into the house." I was rambling again, wasn't I? "How do you know about the gas?", Artsy wanted to know. A short explanation later, she said, "You know that you are one of the children?" No one in the room looked surprised. I nodded again. "Just not whose kid." "I think neither of us does yet. Basically, you're family for all of us anyway." "That's very sweet of you", I replied, starting to feel more comfortable. "I just don't want any of you to feel extra responsible for me just because I'm one of your children. I know that I'm not in the best ever shape, like you guys, but I'm a grown-up nonetheless." Overprotectiveness was exactly why I'd quitted home. It was odd to think, had I run away from home just to get ... home? "Has Nobu had someone check on your parents so far?", Soa asked. Everyone shrugged including me. "Not that I know much at all about the last few weeks", I said, "But I don't see why he wouldn't have if he was planning to do it.."

(can't do any more right now, off to school :naughty:)

"Its weird" I mentioned, idly. "I mean someone in our group or who was once in our group is your parent, but I think you may be physically a few years older than us thanks to the sleep," I said idly, before shaking my head. "However thats not the problem. Does anyone happen to remember the moon stage before we were taken?" I asked.

Some of the others shook their head, confused, until I projected the near full moon upon their short term memories, so it appeared before us. I had regained my illusion making abilities without the need to touch people, though to alter long term memories I still had to be physically touching the person.

Artsy went pale "Thats uh, one pretty big problem" she stated.

"How far can we trust these Movement people? I mean this is a pretty big secret and revealing it could possibly led to them finding out who we are," stated Nico.

"Perhaps we should make our own preparations somehow. Maybe ask for a few days to consider things, in a secure location" suggested Calvin.

"Heavily secure" added Artsy.

During this whole conversation Mickey looked confused. "Uh, what has the moon got to do with things?" she asked.

I glanced at her. "You saw Artsy and Calvin be all Wolfman and Catgirl during the time you were a hostage right?" I asked, as she nodded. "Well lets just say that they were down right cuddly and adorable then in comparision to their full moon night selves."

Mickey kind of paled a little. "Well whatever you do, I'm with you guys," she stated, though throwing worried looks Artsy's ways.

"Good, because we may need you. Even if we have spent the past few weeks learning technology and advancements, we are still super lost in this world. An d it might not be the best idea to let the Movement know we spent the last 20 years sleeping" I stated.

"We'll need someone to help us with technology, and likely backstory. You Mickey can help us learn more about this world" added Nico.

"But what about a backstory?" asked Artsy. "If we stay here among them, once we get the full moon out of the way of course, we'll need a reason for our ignorance of the times."

"Well they correctly think the Confederation was training you to be weapons, right?" asked Mickey.

"Right" answered Nico.

"Why don't you play upon that. That in order to make you guys super soldiers you were altered, shall we say" Mickey suggested.

"That they took our memories in order to train us as clean slates. It could work" I mused. "and it might be our best bet. It seems from our Confederation experience that we shouldn't trust people, even when they claim they are on the good side."

"As good a cover story as anything." agreed Artsy. "It'll cover our blanks. But first, lets see what we can do about getting some place secure for tonight. And now that you guys mentioned it, I can tell - it will be tonight."

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"Its weird" I mentioned, idly. "I mean someone in our group or who was once in our group is your parent, but I think you may be physically a few years older than us thanks to the sleep," I said idly, before shaking my head. "However thats not the problem. Does anyone happen to remember the moon stage before we were taken?" I asked.

Some of the others shook their head, confused, until I projected the near full moon upon their short term memories, so it appeared before us. I had regained my illusion making abilities without the need to touch people, though to alter long term memories I still had to be physically touching the person.

Artsy went pale "Thats uh, one pretty big problem" she stated.

"How far can we trust these Movement people? I mean this is a pretty big secret and revealing it could possibly led to them finding out who we are," stated Nico.

"Perhaps we should make our own preparations somehow. Maybe ask for a few days to consider things, in a secure location" suggested Calvin.

"Heavily secure" added Artsy.

During this whole conversation Mickey looked confused. "Uh, what has the moon got to do with things?" she asked.

I glanced at her. "You saw Artsy and Calvin be all Wolfman and Catgirl during the time you were a hostage right?" I asked, as she nodded. "Well lets just say that they were down right cuddly and adorable then in comparision to their full moon night selves."

Mickey kind of paled a little. "Well whatever you do, I'm with you guys," she stated, though throwing worried looks Artsy's ways.

"Good, because we may need you. Even if we have spent the past few weeks learning technology and advancements, we are still super lost in this world. An d it might not be the best idea to let the Movement know we spent the last 20 years sleeping" I stated.

"We'll need someone to help us with technology, and likely backstory. You Mickey can help us learn more about this world" added Nico.

"But what about a backstory?" asked Artsy. "If we stay here among them, once we get the full moon out of the way of course, we'll need a reason for our ignorance of the times."

"Well they correctly think the Confederation was training you to be weapons, right?" asked Mickey.

"Right" answered Nico.

"Why don't you play upon that. That in order to make you guys super soldiers you were altered, shall we say" Mickey suggested.

"That they took our memories in order to train us as clean slates. It could work" I mused. "and it might be our best bet. It seems from our Confederation experience that we shouldn't trust people, even when they claim they are on the good side."

"As good a cover story as anything." agreed Artsy. "It'll cover our blanks. But first, lets see what we can do about getting some place secure for tonight. And now that you guys mentioned it, I can tell - it will be tonight."

I stood up and followed Calvin, Finn, and Mika as they strode outside. We emerged out into a large clearing with a campfire in the center and more tents spread out, half hidden in the surrounding woods. Liam was warming his hands by the fire and turned to look at us as we walked up. He smiled in greeting, but none of us smiled back. Mika crossed his arms over his chest and spoke up first.

"Look, mate, we like the idea of your Movement. But we've been lied to enough. We're going to need time to think it over. Where can you take us that's safe and secure while we talk about it for a night or so?"

Liam nodded, "I understand. The tent is yours for as long-"

"No," I said forcefully, "The tent isn't adequate. We need something more solid. Preferably something that could easily withstand a hurricane without much damage."

Liam wrinkled his brow.

"Well, I'm not sure anything like that is possible," he replied, but Calvin stepped forward.

"We need a building with shatterproof glass in the windows and steel doors with deadbolt locks for all the rooms," he said, a steely tone entering his voice, "If we aren't in something along those lines, this camp and everyone in it will pay the price."

Liam frowned. "Now wait a second, fellas. You can't just demand such a steep request like that without warning and then threaten me and my camp. We outnumber you and we've got weapons. How about reconsidering the tent?"

Finn stepped forward and gave Liam a little shot of his charm. He smiled and Liam went still, momentarily stunned by the sudden attraction he was assaulted with.

"Now, we really would love to join your Movement, really we would," Finn practically purred, "But we need a night to think it over, and we must be in a sturdy building where we can feel truly safe for our thoughts to be clear enough to make a decision. Don't you know of any place we could stay tonight?"

Liam blinked, his brain process muddled with Finn's charm. Slowly, he replied, "Umm....yeah. I could call one of my contacts and see what I find. You guys should be set in just a few hours."

Finn laughed in triumph and thanked him profusely. Liam's eyes rounded and he smiled dreamily. As we walked away, Finn turned off his charm and smirked.

"Might be out of practice, but I still got the touch."

In a matter of hours, we were in a building with the specifications that Cal had asked for. Turns out Liam had a contact who specialized in home security who was only too happy to let us borrow one of his sample homes for the night. I stood in the kitchen, sipping some of Mika's delicious coffee. I had forgotten how good he was at brewing a cuppa. I smiled as I heard the heated conversation in the living room. Nico, Soa, and M were arguing over what we should do. Soa thought we should join the Movement with the same plan we'd had at Nobu's mansion: stay until we had enough information about the world to leave safely. Nico wanted to find out if we could just stay in here in the sample house until we found a place of our own on the outside. M didn't want to trust the Movement, and called Liam "shifty-looking". This of course led to Mickey making a remark about how M was just annoyed that Finn had used his charm on Liam, which caused M to retort that Mickey had only just joined the group and had no authority to make judgements, and their four voices grew louder as the debate grew more heated and more ridiculous.

Rosie and Lolly walked into the kitchen, excitedly telling me about some tv show they'd just seen on the television in one of the bedrooms. I smiled and listened to them as they told me in great detail about the futuristic inventions that were now commonplace and placed as household items on the set of the sitcom they had seen. They grabbed cups of coffee as well and went back up the bedroom to watch more shows. I turned and looked out into the empty front yard, sensing rather than hearing when Calvin walked up behind me.

"Um...I wanted to talk to you...about the...the thing that happened?" he said haltingly, and I heard him sigh in frustration. I closed my eyes, not wanting to have this discussion.

"Because...I know you don't want a relationship, I really do...but-well...it's just-"

"I know, Cal," I said, turning around to face him, "I felt it too."

He looked at me, uncertain.

"Really? Because I was thinking that we were really close before the cryo and if you wanted, we could start up again. Nothing serious, just get reacquainted." he said, rubbing the back of his neck in embarrassment. I looked at him, feeling a small-ok, big, part of me wanting to go for it, but I kept seeing the scientist's clipboard in my mind. Mating rituals...chemical induction of cycle...

I looked at a point on the wall behind him and said "I'm sorry, Cal. I can't."

He leaned in close, the beast in him sensing the beast in me had a very different opinion.

"Is this what you really want or is your mind just getting in the way?" he asked in a quieter, deeper voice. My blood rushed faster and faster from his proximity, but I clarified it for him.

"I can't trust my mind or my body. I think I could've fought you off long enough to get into the other room at Nobu's cottage, but I didn't, because I wanted you. I want you now, badly. But don't you see? We reacted to hormone shots. We're reacting to the full moon now. As long as our animal DNA is affecting us, we can't trust ourselves to be logical about this. I'm sorry, but until I know it's us and not the beasts, I'm not starting anything with you."

He tilted his head and, oddly enough, smiled. Leaning down, he placed a soft kiss on my cheek, then stepped away.

"Best find your room for the night," he whispered, "The sun will be down in twenty minutes."

*does a little dance*

OMG, I got called for a job interview yesterday and today I checked my email and there was an email with ANOTHER interview offer!

:woot_jump:

(Yes, I know they're interviews and I don't actually have a job yet, but I've got high hopes. I've never interviewed for a job without getting it. It's the face. I've got a trustworthy face.:naughty:)

*does a little dance*

OMG, I got called for a job interview yesterday and today I checked my email and there was an email with ANOTHER interview offer!

:woot_jump:

(Yes, I know they're interviews and I don't actually have a job yet, but I've got high hopes. I've never interviewed for a job without getting it. It's the face. I've got a trustworthy face.:naughty:)

:yay: That's awesome! Good luck ... or well, sounds like you don't need it :biggrin2:

I shall post :teehee:

I stood up and followed Calvin, Finn, and Mika as they strode outside. We emerged out into a large clearing with a campfire in the center and more tents spread out, half hidden in the surrounding woods. Liam was warming his hands by the fire and turned to look at us as we walked up. He smiled in greeting, but none of us smiled back. Mika crossed his arms over his chest and spoke up first.

"Look, mate, we like the idea of your Movement. But we've been lied to enough. We're going to need time to think it over. Where can you take us that's safe and secure while we talk about it for a night or so?"

Liam nodded, "I understand. The tent is yours for as long-"

"No," I said forcefully, "The tent isn't adequate. We need something more solid. Preferably something that could easily withstand a hurricane without much damage."

Liam wrinkled his brow.

"Well, I'm not sure anything like that is possible," he replied, but Calvin stepped forward.

"We need a building with shatterproof glass in the windows and steel doors with deadbolt locks for all the rooms," he said, a steely tone entering his voice, "If we aren't in something along those lines, this camp and everyone in it will pay the price."

Liam frowned. "Now wait a second, fellas. You can't just demand such a steep request like that without warning and then threaten me and my camp. We outnumber you and we've got weapons. How about reconsidering the tent?"

Finn stepped forward and gave Liam a little shot of his charm. He smiled and Liam went still, momentarily stunned by the sudden attraction he was assaulted with.

"Now, we really would love to join your Movement, really we would," Finn practically purred, "But we need a night to think it over, and we must be in a sturdy building where we can feel truly safe for our thoughts to be clear enough to make a decision. Don't you know of any place we could stay tonight?"

Liam blinked, his brain process muddled with Finn's charm. Slowly, he replied, "Umm....yeah. I could call one of my contacts and see what I find. You guys should be set in just a few hours."

Finn laughed in triumph and thanked him profusely. Liam's eyes rounded and he smiled dreamily. As we walked away, Finn turned off his charm and smirked.

"Might be out of practice, but I still got the touch."

In a matter of hours, we were in a building with the specifications that Cal had asked for. Turns out Liam had a contact who specialized in home security who was only too happy to let us borrow one of his sample homes for the night. I stood in the kitchen, sipping some of Mika's delicious coffee. I had forgotten how good he was at brewing a cuppa. I smiled as I heard the heated conversation in the living room. Nico, Soa, and M were arguing over what we should do. Soa thought we should join the Movement with the same plan we'd had at Nobu's mansion: stay until we had enough information about the world to leave safely. Nico wanted to find out if we could just stay in here in the sample house until we found a place of our own on the outside. M didn't want to trust the Movement, and called Liam "shifty-looking". This of course led to Mickey making a remark about how M was just annoyed that Finn had used his charm on Liam, which caused M to retort that Mickey had only just joined the group and had no authority to make judgements, and their four voices grew louder as the debate grew more heated and more ridiculous.

Rosie and Lolly walked into the kitchen, excitedly telling me about some tv show they'd just seen on the television in one of the bedrooms. I smiled and listened to them as they told me in great detail about the futuristic inventions that were now commonplace and placed as household items on the set of the sitcom they had seen. They grabbed cups of coffee as well and went back up the bedroom to watch more shows. I turned and looked out into the empty front yard, sensing rather than hearing when Calvin walked up behind me.

"Um...I wanted to talk to you...about the...the thing that happened?" he said haltingly, and I heard him sigh in frustration. I closed my eyes, not wanting to have this discussion.

"Because...I know you don't want a relationship, I really do...but-well...it's just-"

"I know, Cal," I said, turning around to face him, "I felt it too."

He looked at me, uncertain.

"Really? Because I was thinking that we were really close before the cryo and if you wanted, we could start up again. Nothing serious, just get reacquainted." he said, rubbing the back of his neck in embarrassment. I looked at him, feeling a small-ok, big, part of me wanting to go for it, but I kept seeing the scientist's clipboard in my mind. Mating rituals...chemical induction of cycle...

I looked at a point on the wall behind him and said "I'm sorry, Cal. I can't."

He leaned in close, the beast in him sensing the beast in me had a very different opinion.

"Is this what you really want or is your mind just getting in the way?" he asked in a quieter, deeper voice. My blood rushed faster and faster from his proximity, but I clarified it for him.

"I can't trust my mind or my body. I think I could've fought you off long enough to get into the other room at Nobu's cottage, but I didn't, because I wanted you. I want you now, badly. But don't you see? We reacted to hormone shots. We're reacting to the full moon now. As long as our animal DNA is affecting us, we can't trust ourselves to be logical about this. I'm sorry, but until I know it's us and not the beasts, I'm not starting anything with you."

He tilted his head and, oddly enough, smiled. Leaning down, he placed a soft kiss on my cheek, then stepped away.

"Best find your room for the night," he whispered, "The sun will be down in twenty minutes."

A little frustrated, I stepped out of the living room into the kitchen to get a cup of coffee, too. Arguing with others wasn't exactly my favourite discipline, and I wasn't one to deal well with attacks. Yet, I knew M was right: I had only just joined the group. Everything was still new and fascinating for me, and I had no routine at all. Artsy was in the kitchen, finishing her cuppa. She gave me a smile while I took a cup. "Don't worry about the argument. We're like a family, we argue lots, but hardly ever get really cross." I nodded. "I might be taking it too personal. Looks like I still have a lot to learn." She smiled. "I'd better get going now, the sun will be down soon." "And then the cat in you will take over?", I asked, curious. "Yeah, kinda", she replied, then turned around and walked out of the room. And there was me, standing in the kitchen with a cup of coffee in my hand, staring after her. Those superpowers in the PPR were kind of overwhelming to me. It was a huge fascination, but it also made me feel somewhat weak, without any of those superpowers, or at least none that I knew of. I wondered if they could be inherited. Deciding it was no good to brood over this, I finished off my coffee and cleaned the cup. Having put it back into the cupboard, I went to bed. Not that I expected to fall asleep soon. But while the others were watching TV and playing cards, I did doze off. Apparently, having slept for weeks didn't make you more awake. On the contrary.

The next morning, I woke with aching blade bones. Still rubbing them, I came into the kitchen, where most of the group were already having breakfast. Mika had made tea for us. Taking a cup and a plate, I sat down at the table, between Soa and M. Artsy had been right, they were acting as though they hadn't argued at all, which made me feel quite relieved. "You alright?", Soa asked, looking at me occasionally reaching over my shoulder to my blade bones. "Sure", I said, "but my shoulders are kinda aching. It feels as though I'd grown wings, but - quite visibly - no sign of anything like that." Some people giggled. "Actually, I dreamt I did." Remembering that made me hesitate. Maybe I was developing an ability to fly? The thought would have felt a lot stranger if I hadn't been around people that could alter memories, charm people so they'll do what you want from them, levitate things or turn into animals. Speaking of which ... "Where's Cal and Artsy?", I asked. "Probably still sleeping", said Becky, "a full moon night can be quite tiring if you're turning into an animal." I nodded. That made sense.

We spent the rest of the morning looking around the house, the PPR spotting a new technical tool every now and then. It was quite fun. Artsy and Cal joined us about an hour later, and so I tried my best to teach the group the few they couldn't figure out themselves, and that I actually knew. This house was equipped with high-tech, there were several things that I'd only seen in TV shows.

A little frustrated, I stepped out of the living room into the kitchen to get a cup of coffee, too. Arguing with others wasn't exactly my favourite discipline, and I wasn't one to deal well with attacks. Yet, I knew M was right: I had only just joined the group. Everything was still new and fascinating for me, and I had no routine at all. Artsy was in the kitchen, finishing her cuppa. She gave me a smile while I took a cup. "Don't worry about the argument. We're like a family, we argue lots, but hardly ever get really cross." I nodded. "I might be taking it too personal. Looks like I still have a lot to learn." She smiled. "I'd better get going now, the sun will be down soon." "And then the cat in you will take over?", I asked, curious. "Yeah, kinda", she replied, then turned around and walked out of the room. And there was me, standing in the kitchen with a cup of coffee in my hand, staring after her. Those superpowers in the PPR were kind of overwhelming to me. It was a huge fascination, but it also made me feel somewhat weak, without any of those superpowers, or at least none that I knew of. I wondered if they could be inherited. Deciding it was no good to brood over this, I finished off my coffee and cleaned the cup. Having put it back into the cupboard, I went to bed. Not that I expected to fall asleep soon. But while the others were watching TV and playing cards, I did doze off. Apparently, having slept for weeks didn't make you more awake. On the contrary.

The next morning, I woke with aching blade bones. Still rubbing them, I came into the kitchen, where most of the group were already having breakfast. Mika had made tea for us. Taking a cup and a plate, I sat down at the table, between Soa and M. Artsy had been right, they were acting as though they hadn't argued at all, which made me feel quite relieved. "You alright?", Soa asked, looking at me occasionally reaching over my shoulder to my blade bones. "Sure", I said, "but my shoulders are kinda aching. It feels as though I'd grown wings, but - quite visibly - no sign of anything like that." Some people giggled. "Actually, I dreamt I did." Remembering that made me hesitate. Maybe I was developing an ability to fly? The thought would have felt a lot stranger if I hadn't been around people that could alter memories, charm people so they'll do what you want from them, levitate things or turn into animals. Speaking of which ... "Where's Cal and Artsy?", I asked. "Probably still sleeping", said Becky, "a full moon night can be quite tiring if you're turning into an animal." I nodded. That made sense.

We spent the rest of the morning looking around the house, the PPR spotting a new technical tool every now and then. It was quite fun. Artsy and Cal joined us about an hour later, and so I tried my best to teach the group the few they couldn't figure out themselves, and that I actually knew. This house was equipped with high-tech, there were several things that I'd only seen in TV shows.

I stared at the massive touch screen tv's that lined the east wall with curiosity. Mickey came beside me and admired them as well. I put on my best fake smile and she smiled back.

"So amazing, right?" she grinned, eyeing my curiosity "Is Finn into tech stuff?"

I shrugged.

"I don't really remember."

She nodded, I noticed her beautiful brown hair that reminded me of Finn. I shrugged that thought off.

"How long have you been....married?"

I wondered why she was asking me so many questions, she was probably just trying to befriend me.

"Uh... too be honest, I don't think we ever got married."

She widened her eyes and I turned my attention to Artsy.

"Guys, we're having a meeting in the kitchen in 5 minutes, OK?" She said loudly. I ran off to find Finn, and Mickey headed into the kitchen.

As we all met in the kitchen, Nico sat at the head of the table and began talking.

"I think we should just run away." She said simply. I eyed her checking if she was kidding or not and she looked nothing but serious.

"I don't trust anything, anyone, except for us. If we all just got out of her and ran, what would be the harm?"

I looked at Finn, and he looked back, not sure what to say.

"We'll pack our bags, leave by morning, head to Peru where it's safe, and hide out there, everything will be fine!" she ensured.

Everyone was quiet, thinking about it.

Sorry I haven't been around for a few days - we've been setting up for a little monster called Harvey. He's whinging at me at the moment because my mum is moving his newspaper :naughty: He's a border collie puppy by the way. I'll post pictures if you like :biggrin2: I've caught up, and I may post later =)

By the way, I didn;t say hi to you, Mickey. Welcome!

As for whose child you'll be, the strange dreams link into my power (of pulling people from their dreams into mine), so that could be an idea :original:

:yay: That's awesome! Good luck ... or well, sounds like you don't need it :biggrin2:

Thanks!

I always need it. I'm applying for positions that I'm not entirely sure I'm qualified or able to do. Luckily it's not anything that people's lives depend on.:bleh:

No new posts? :sad:

Sorry, it's been a busy week. Lots of projects, job applications, interviews, academic counselling, and class registration is next week.

But I'll post today!

Sorry I haven't been around for a few days - we've been setting up for a little monster called Harvey. He's whinging at me at the moment because my mum is moving his newspaper :naughty: He's a border collie puppy by the way. I'll post pictures if you like :biggrin2: I've caught up, and I may post later =)

By the way, I didn;t say hi to you, Mickey. Welcome!

As for whose child you'll be, the strange dreams link into my power (of pulling people from their dreams into mine), so that could be an idea :original:

Oh, please post pics, Becks! I love to see new puppehs.:mf_lustslow:

I stared at the massive touch screen tv's that lined the east wall with curiosity. Mickey came beside me and admired them as well. I put on my best fake smile and she smiled back.

"So amazing, right?" she grinned, eyeing my curiosity "Is Finn into tech stuff?"

I shrugged.

"I don't really remember."

She nodded, I noticed her beautiful brown hair that reminded me of Finn. I shrugged that thought off.

"How long have you been....married?"

I wondered why she was asking me so many questions, she was probably just trying to befriend me.

"Uh... too be honest, I don't think we ever got married."

She widened her eyes and I turned my attention to Artsy.

"Guys, we're having a meeting in the kitchen in 5 minutes, OK?" She said loudly. I ran off to find Finn, and Mickey headed into the kitchen.

As we all met in the kitchen, Nico sat at the head of the table and began talking.

"I think we should just run away." She said simply. I eyed her checking if she was kidding or not and she looked nothing but serious.

"I don't trust anything, anyone, except for us. If we all just got out of her and ran, what would be the harm?"

I looked at Finn, and he looked back, not sure what to say.

"We'll pack our bags, leave by morning, head to Peru where it's safe, and hide out there, everything will be fine!" she ensured.

Everyone was quiet, thinking about it.

I looked at everyone in the kitchen. Leave? Head out to the world unknown? Not that we hadn't been to Peru before. But really go out on our own? I was scared. Not for myself, but for the others. Calvin and I could only do so much, especially with such a large group, and the members of the Movement had taken us out pretty easily. I couldn't protect them, not fully. That bothered me a lot. But we couldn't stay here, and we couldn't stay as pawns in the war, not even on the side of the Movement. We needed to go somewhere completely neutral, where no one would bother us, and we could finish training. Then, once we were back in fighting shape, we could start to look up our old contacts again, set up our network. Word would inevitably get out that the PPRs were still alive, and when it did, we would need our friends in high places available again for when things got sticky.

"How will we afford plane tickets to Peru?" I asked, "And how will we get passports and clothing? We can't go into an airport with these jumpsuits. We'll look like some sort of cult."

Mickey looked up.

"Hold that thought," she said, standing and walking out of the kitchen. She soon returned, holding a sheet of paper. I glanced at the paper, then did a double take. What I had taken for a sheet of paper was actually a sheet of some kind of metal. Mickey placed it on the table, then tapped the center of it with her finger. It immediately lit up and became a touch-screen computer. We stared in awe as she brought up the internet.

"You had bank accounts before the cryo, right?" she asked, her hands maneuvering the screen with fluid precision. I nodded.

"My parents were con artists. They left me a fortune, but we lived mostly off the interest and the money we made from public appearances and missions. But it was kept in a secret account in a bank in Zurich that Kevin hacked into. Not even the bank knows about it." I answered. Mickey smiled.

"Good. Then it should still be there."

We watched her sliding her fingers across the screen for a few more minutes, stopping to type every few seconds or so.

"Ah!" she exclaimed, stopping suddenly, "Here it is."

I stared at her. There was only one person I'd ever seen who was better at manipulating computers, and he had been dead for 23 years.

"How did you do that?" I asked her, an impossible suspicion forming in my head, but before she could answer, Becky gasped.

"Is that the total amount in euros?" she asked, her eyes widening. I looked down at the screen. Wow. Over the two decades we'd been out of commission, without being spent at all, my parents' fortune had become...well, more fortune-y. Even with our expensive tastes in clothing, weapons, travelling, and general excuses for spending money, we would never have to worry about funds. I had always thought of the account as endless money, courtesy of my parents. Now it really was endless. There was absolutely no way we could ever spend it all.

Mickey opened another window on the browser and looked up passports, identification, birth certificates, everything we would need for a life on the outside. Again, I got a sense of deja vu watching her typing away on the computer. I took M aside and nudged her.

"Does she remind you of anyone?" I asked. M nodded, her eyes narrowing on Mickey's hair.

"But what I'm thinking is silly," she said, "Impossible!"

"My ideas are impossible too," I replied, "But it doesn't change the fact that figuring out her parents is going to be more interesting than I thought."

"Ok, it looks like we can get everything we need." Soa said, "Peru, anyone?"