Mfc Convention

kath

For some reason I thought that the theme park would be in an obscure part of the country. OK then, the travel sounds convenient enough. How about accommodation, are there cheap options in the area?

As Kath mentioned earlier, there is a hotel there and there are guest houses around AT as well, so plenty of accomodation.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello, just got in after spending all day sorting car problems..I also have man flu..it must be man flu because everyone says that is far worse than woman flu and believe me, this is bad!:shocked::naughty: SO....I have a fair bit to look at before I can offer any more info but will be back on later :thumb_yello:

I would want to go

i would want to go

Buuuuuuuuuuut

not sure for the timing, the place and my lack of money...

:blink:

Me too, me too!!!! But not sure at all, must get on with my "normal" life, I don't think my boyfriend would be too happy about me going away again on a Mika related trip, he's been far too understanding so far...

I would want to go

i would want to go

Buuuuuuuuuuut

not sure for the timing, the place and my lack of money...

:blink:

Same here...argh...that would be so much fun! :thumb_yello:

Been to Alton Towers before some years ago - it was amazing! Even the theme park itself would be worth getting there :das::bleh:

So have there already been dates mentioned??

Me too, me too!!!! But not sure at all, must get on with my "normal" life, I don't think my boyfriend would be too happy about me going away again on a Mika related trip, he's been far too understanding so far...

Remember it was your decision and i think it´s a wise one. And it´s normal your bf wouldn´t be happy. Thanks God i don´t have any commitments..but i don´t have money! :roftl:

Same here...argh...that would be so much fun! :thumb_yello:

Been to Alton Towers before some years ago - it was amazing! Even the theme park itself would be worth getting there :das::bleh:

So have there already been dates mentioned??

Theme Park? sounds funny!

OK, have just updated the first post but will post it here too:

UPDATE

Thank you to everyone that has posted expressing views on dates, venues, costs, age etc.

I think that we are basically looking at two different scenarios here A) a day out at a theme park and B) a Mika convention.

The original idea was to hold a covention, a 'meeting' where we could get together, watch Mika videos, do a few Mika related activies and generally just enjoy spending time together. We looked at Alton Towers as a possible venue as it is in a central position in the UK, it is a fun place and they have conference facilities. However, it has become clear from the comments posted that if people are going to Alton Towers they want to go on the rides. Therefore, people are not going to be happy to pay more than double the usual entrance rate to spend the day inside and not really get much opportunity to go on the rides. The other way around this is to just do a 'group booking' which would mean we could get reduced enterance fee (£22 each) and just spend the day there. Given that many peole would need to spend the night locally we could then 'meet up' in the evening and spend the evening together at the hotel. This would be fun....and would appeal to some people but it would not be a convention.

A proper 'convention' when our main focus was Mika is maybe something that we need to wait a little while for. We can then book a facility...off peak and therefore cheaper, and dedicate the whole weekend to Mika. I don't think at this stage that we have enough 'material' for that which is why we suggested a one day event.

SO.....all in favour of a day out at Alton Towers, probably in the summer, July or August? Staying at a local hotel (we may be able to get a good deal) please make yourselves known. Please PM me so that I don't miss anyone and I will start a list.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed with their opinions...and I am sure that a little further down the line we will hold a great convection, hopefully, the first of many!

In the early 90's I went through abit of a Michael Jackson phase.

Went to two of his conventions in London. They were run by the King Of Pop Unofficial Fan Magazine that I used to buy.

I really enjoyed them.

Obv he was never there, but he'd record us a personal message, provide some rare footage for us to watch. Also he used to record stuff just for us as well. It was held at Hammersmith Palais (Unfortunately it's closed now I think).

They had a huge video screen running all day so you could watch loads of vids, competitions, raffles.

You could buy merchandise esp provided for the day (I used to spend a small fortune on some of the stuff I bought up there).

But it was so nice just to meet fellow fans and enjoy the day. Would love to go to a Mika Convention absolutely.

:biggrin2:

Kath, in your original message it said

Entrance to the event would be approx £50 which includes Car parking, Use of the theme park facilities, use of the marquee and entrance to all the activities that we will have planned for the day.

and I think it is this we took to mean the rides. I for one am quite happy to forego the rides if this would bring the costs down.

In the early 90's I went through abit of a Michael Jackson phase.

Went to two of his conventions in London. They were run by the King Of Pop Unofficial Fan Magazine that I used to buy.

I really enjoyed them.

Obv he was never there, but he'd record us a personal message, provide some rare footage for us to watch. Also he used to record stuff just for us as well. It was held at Hammersmith Palais (Unfortunately it's closed now I think).

They had a huge video screen running all day so you could watch loads of vids, competitions, raffles.

You could buy merchandise esp provided for the day (I used to spend a small fortune on some of the stuff I bought up there).

But it was so nice just to meet fellow fans and enjoy the day. Would love to go to a Mika Convention absolutely.

:biggrin2:

Yep...........you are absolutly right, this is definately the sort of event that we would like to run......but possibly not just yet :thumb_yello:

Kath, in your original message it said

Entrance to the event would be approx £50 which includes Car parking, Use of the theme park facilities, use of the marquee and entrance to all the activities that we will have planned for the day.

and I think it is this we took to mean the rides. I for one am quite happy to forego the rides if this would bring the costs down.

Yes, you are right.........but I think it is the realisation that the queues for these rides are SOOOO long that the two things really aren't going to fit togther.:shocked: I have accompanied my chuildren to two conventions at Alton Towers.....but basically the morning and afternoon were decicated to the rides with just a lunch provided with a meeting straight after the lunch. But to do that one has to pay for the conferencing facility and that is what bumps the price up :thumbdown:

I think Freddie is very keen to have a day out at Alton Towers. I am less keen as I already have a lot of Mika related trips and expense this summer. I would personally rather wait a little longer and then we can arrange a proper convention similar to the one that Laurel describes above. However, if there are sufficent people interested in the trip to Alton Towers I would imagine I can be pursaded...I love spending time with Mfcers!!:thumb_yello:

right....let me get this straight -

the price is going to be lowered to £22 if we just hire the conference centre - or are we hiring the rides?

im just wondering......but i still probably wont be allowed to go as i am only 15 and my parents wont let me go even though i do live in sussex...:(

great idea anyway - i hope to hear mountains about it....unless i can do a bit of persuading....:wink2:

right....let me get this straight -

the price is going to be lowered to £22 if we just hire the conference centre - or are we hiring the rides?

im just wondering......but i still probably wont be allowed to go as i am only 15 and my parents wont let me go even though i do live in sussex...:(

great idea anyway - i hope to hear mountains about it....unless i can do a bit of persuading....:wink2:

If we can book as a group which would be over ten people the price would be £22 each which would just be normal entrance to the park for the day :thumb_yello:

You should all come to Yorkshire

Well, we have Flamingo Land...... plus, it has a zoo! Beat that Alton Towers! :punk::naughty:

I hope we can sort something out, i really want to meet all of you :bleh:

It always pours wih rain when I go to Flamingo land!:thumbdown::naughty:

Oh right - that will be ok then....but i still dont think i would be able to go....:(

sorry.....:(

I think, over the years we will get to meet, more and more of us...it will just take time..especially for the younger members.

I think its already been mentioned somewhere about the queues in alton towers peak season (summer holidays)...But then again we are MFC'ers surely we should be used to the queues by now :naughty:

I havent pmed you yet Kath but i will definately be coming.....

Id also like to add i have a hand full of vouchers entitling people to a kind of buy one get one ticket free id have to check up until what date they will be valid though and get back to you on that because if people are wanting to go into the rides and were not in the group booking the price of ticket entry would be £34 % 2 hmmmm

maths.....

£17 i think :boxed:

What a terrific idea! :punk: Would love to attend, but not likely to be able to (unless i win big in the lotto before then):naughty: *thinks must remember to buy 6/49 tickets tomorrow*

Unfortunately this is when the global aspect of MFC makes it difficult for those who are spread far and away...but I still love the idea of a convention. Shari :wub2: must have some thoughts as she does the Queen convention regularly I think.

I wonder - does Canada do any sort of a social get-together for MFC'ers? Or the north-eastern states/south-eastern/central provinces? A secret gig?:fisch: peut-etre? hehehe

You'd prob have to ask the Canadian MFC reps about that... they might be thinking about a get together...

When Mika (eventually) comes to Oz we'd love to have you at one of our get-togethers. And who knows, if there are a few people coming we might make it into something bigger. It's still a long way away so we have time yet to see how these kind of things pan out.

Oh yes... we'll certainly be having lots of get togethers... especially involving those who won't be able to come on the dream tour..

OK Bexxy, I have added you to my list..I haven't done an offical one yet but to be honest, it is only three people so far :shocked: Yes, the vouchers are good but usually only last one season.

Weealx has some good suggestions as well. Maybe he can

PM or email them to you!! :thumb_yello:

Hi Wendi. Yes, he has...but his suggestions were more to do with a convention rather than a day out. I am all in favour of the convention idea...it is very definatly my prefrred option...but it isn't really the way this thread has gone. I think there is interest in a convention..but to hold a full weekend one I think we need to wait a little longer. I also think we will probably need to look at an 'off season' booking.....like the Queen one, this year it is this coming weekend...because that way it is possible to get places at cheap prices :thumb_yello: However, with the suggestions that have come in and the contacts, we definatly have material to work with :thumb_yello:

OK Bexxy, I have added you to my list..I haven't done an offical one yet but to be honest, it is only three people so far :shocked: Yes, the vouchers are good but usually only last one season.

:bleh: I'd like to go too, it depends on what my parents can arrange. I'm sure they'll be fine. Maybe i can take my cousin along with me or something then they'd be better about it.

:bleh: I'd like to go too, it depends on what my parents can arrange. I'm sure they'll be fine. Maybe i can take my cousin along with me or something then they'd be better about it.

Ok Will add you...I will put the list on the front page now :thumb_yello: