• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bad hair days all around (is that Bono on the right?)

The_Kooks_OvaHere_Popscene__w500.jpg

OH MY GOD THATS PATRICK DEMPSEY IN THE BACKGROUND!!! :stretcher:!

(or rather: "And mine is soooooooo... ")

DSCN5512.JPG

"THE KOOKS - Le batteur Paul Garred" :blink:

85..JPG

Yes, I does indeed screw up the page :pinkbow:

2808168031_eec547e0c8_o.jpg

Edited by Petra

Luke Pritchard of the Kooks playing live :smth:

the-kooks-luke-pritchard-live.jpg

:doh: indeed

kooks12.JPG

We might really all have to go to Brighton and see the Third Man to see Max in another shirt I guess.

kooks_3.gif

Beautiful youth :tears:

200904012318_kooks3.jpg

OMG, that so is Patrick Dempsey :stretcher:

DSCN5493.JPG

kooks3.jpg

from: http://www.thetripwire.com/features/2006/11/08/usa-or-bust-15-minutes-with-the-kooks/

USA Or Bust: 15 Minutes With The Kooks

kooks_feature.jpg

“San Francisco is actually what I envisioned L.A. to be like.” Kooks drummer Paul Garred is sitting across

from me with bright eyes and a relaxed stature, describing his first impressions of the city’s skyline and atmosphere to me. His

fingers tap a soft beat on the metallic-finished circular table that separates us, and I can’t help but smile. Garred has the

posture of a college kid on spring break, certainly not someone who’s feeling the pressure of being on a tour that is supposed

to break their imported sound into America. It’s a slightly big goal, but he takes it all in stride.

The band from Brighton, UK, is in town as part of their introductory tour to the States. For this band to play the London Astoria,

roughly the size of the Warfield, and then pop into Popscene for a 475-capacity gig is astounding. When I walked up to the

venue a bit before 8 p.m., I briefly count 200 kids in line, adorned in hipster and dance club attire, shivering slightly in the

late October breeze. When I leave for something to eat an hour later, the crowd will encompass more than 350 and stretch

down the alley where Popscene is located and around the block with hopeful concert goers smoking and careful under-agers

drinking. Apparently, the kids in SF know what’s up.

kooks_feature1.jpg

Inside, Garred describes one of the few chill days the guys were able to enjoy since being on tour from

the beginning of the year - a quiet day relaxing in the San Francisco Indian summer weather, which then turned into “a game

of ’spot the English guy by the pool’…you just saw all this white and pasty,” he laughs as his band members start milling in

for soundcheck. “But it was quite nice to relax for a little.”

Looking at the band’s itinerary whilst in the States, it’s no wonder Garred and company’s day poolside was savored - three

days before, the band geared up for their first North American tour date in New York at the Bowery Ballroom and have been

on the move ever since. The day after Popscene, the Kooks make the cross country trek again and head back to NY to finish

their five - yes, five - date tour at Brooklyn’s Northsix. The Bowery show and the night before at Spaceland in Los Angeles

gave the Kooks some well-received publicity about their performance, and Garred confesses that he was unsure of how it

would all play out in the end.

“Either [they] jump up and down and know all the words, or they listen and nod and you never know what the audience is

thinking,” he says. “I mean, we could get off stage and be like ‘Yeah, we rocked!’ and the audience could give us a look like,

‘No way you didn’t,’ and vice versa.”

“The Bowery was one foot in the door for us, L.A. was another foot. We’re testing the water and leaving a foundation for us

to come back hopefully (he crosses his fingers in gesture).”

Quite possibly, San Francisco was wiling to welcome the Kooks through the doors as well as even hug them and provide some

beer. The sold-out show at Popscene involved much of the crowd dancing and taking pictures, as well as clapping along and

singing lyrics. No one was hurt, and no one was pushed; it was so, so refreshing to see the band have such a pleasant

effect on its fans. The 150 people stuck outside were hating, I’m sure.

kooks_feature2.jpg

Watching the Kooks feels a lot like a first crush. :wub2: They seem new and different, intriguing and

mysterious, and after a while you begin to realize that they carry their own sound and focus, and you appreciate them

more as a result. Their set, mostly pulled from their debut, Inside/Out, which was released in North America at the beginning

of the month, included “Eddie’s Gun,” “Ooh La,” and “You Don’t Love Me,” each sounding stronger than the next. Cue the guitar.

Cue the classic Britpop flair with a dash of youth and vibrancy, and then you get lead singer Luke Pritchard nailing his vocal

arrangements one right after the other. The combination is winning and nearly foolproof.

The North American tour the Kooks first scheduled had to be cancelled due to Pritchard’s battle with laryngitis, but his

time off to revitalize his voice paid off. It showed tremendously at Popscene. The high point came as the band did a

cover of Mason Jennings’ “California” near the end of their set, seemingly in tribute to the soil they were currently on:

“California, I hope that it wakes you/From all of the darkness/That I couldn’t break through/’Cause I’m gonna miss you/I’m gonna miss you.”

The melodic sadness and yet optimistic tune seemed a fitting way for the band to end their introductory phase to Northern California.

They have to go, yes, but next time promises to be even better.

Edited by Petra

LOUBY LOU TOURING LIMITED

Private company

Number of shareholders: 3

CONTACT INFORMATION

Location LONDON, United Kingdom

STATUS & ACCOUNT INFORMATION

Legal form: Private limited company

INDUSTRY / ACTIVITIES

NACE Rev. 2 Core code :

9329 - Other amusement and recreation activities

US SIC Core code :

792 - Theatrical producers (except motion picture), bands orchestras, and entertainers

NAICS 2007 Core code :

7111 - Performing Arts Companies

(Very very VERY random. Sorry.)

DSCN5496.jpg

DSCN5510.jpg

After the 128 post of these pics is when I notice that they (at least Luke and Hugh) are wearing 'alpargatas' :naughty:

spanish shoes haha, those things are so comfortable and nice, I used to have a wide variety of those when I was little...the last time I had a pair was around 4 years ago or so.

I want new ones, yes, I'm going to ask my grandmother to bring me a pair :biggrin2:

After the 128 post of these pics is when I notice that they (at least Luke and Hugh) are wearing 'alpargatas' :naughty:

spanish shoes haha, those things are so comfortable and nice, I used to have a wide variety of those when I was little...the last time I had a pair was around 4 years ago or so.

I want new ones, yes, I'm going to ask my grandmother to bring me a pair :biggrin2:

Ah! So that's what they are called! I know these; you hardly get them here (usually just in summer)!

3507695381_1d5c190312_o.jpg

3508506062_748a9a7d57_o.jpg

3508506294_d622c6efeb_o.jpg

3507695499_dd136184bd_o.jpg

3279893653_890b9b55ae_o.jpg

3056905202_17bedb5557_o.jpg

3056909308_c10562933f_o.jpg

:lmfao:

3001409367_4f56b09f65_o.jpg

2989736027_3e3390dd3f_o.jpg

2990584928_1df21df50c_o.jpg

Luke's hair is really amazing. I don't necessarily mean that it LOOKS amazing here; I'm just trying to say that the whole concept of his hair is amazing.

3035262305_95775ea2f7_o.jpg