Freddies English Teaching Course

can somebody tell me what does "though" mean?

i looked at dictionary of course but it doesn't have a meaning in turkish :boxed:

it says "the word you're looking for doesn't exist in Turkish:blink:

EDIT::doh: found it.but still doesn't make sense to me....

i can't tell the difference between sentences with "though" or without "though"

Great thread !!:biggrin2:

Can you explain me how to use either/neither ??

Ok frederick has asked me to keep up with this thread for him as hes gone :roftl:

Either means ONE or the OTHER or BOTH... meaning Either wear the Blue jeans or the RED jeans they both look good .. or how do you like mikas hair , choose between EITHER straight OR curly ... :naughty: if you like straight AND curly .. EITHER are good ....

If you like none ... you like NEITHER ... and would rather him be bald or NOT HAVE ANY those hair styles .... :roftl:

can somebody tell me what does "though" mean?

i looked at dictionary of course but it doesn't have a meaning in turkish :boxed:

it says "the word you're looking for doesn't exist in Turkish:blink:

Although can be used instead of BUT ... BUT is more direct , ALTHOUGH can be considered more polite and a more professional word... :thumb_yello:

Ok frederick has asked me to keep up with this thread for him as hes gone :roftl:

Either means ONE or the OTHER or BOTH... meaning Either wear the Blue jeans or the RED jeans they both look good .. or how do you like mikas hair , choose between EITHER straight OR curly ... :naughty: if you like straight AND curly .. EITHER are good ....

If you like none ... you like NEITHER ... and would rather him be bald or NOT HAVE ANY those hair styles .... :roftl:

Although can be used instead of BUT ... BUT is more direct , ALTHOUGH can be considered more polite and a more professional word... :thumb_yello:

one more:blush-anim-cl:

though/although

are they same:blink:

And when do you use than and when then?

When --- ... Usually used WHEN you are explaining something --- When - can also mean at that time .... When i went to the shop / at the time i went to the shop ..... when i saw mika / at the time i saw mika ....

Than -- usually present tense ... Then - past tence

example ...

PRESENT tense - I like mika more THAN freddie M .... PAST Tense - i used to like freddie M , THEN i liked mika more ...

Hello!!

This is a great idea for a thread! I couldn't help taking a peek...can I add something? I'm sorry, I can't resist, it's the English teacher in me :naughty:

THAN is normally used in comparisons:

I like Mika more than Amy Winehouse.

She can run faster than me.

THEN is to do with time:

I finished my homework, then I went to the cinema.

(Sorry I hope I'm not stepping on anyone's toes here, I couldn't resist :thumb_yello: )

When --- ... Usually used WHEN you are explaining something --- When - can also mean at that time .... When i went to the shop / at the time i went to the shop ..... when i saw mika / at the time i saw mika ....

Than -- usually present tense ... Then - past tence

example ...

PRESENT tense - I like mika more THAN freddie M .... PAST Tense - i used to like freddie M , THEN i liked mika more ...

Not when:boxed::wink2:Only then/than.

Thanks!

Feel free to ask questions about phrases or slang or general sentances that you see and we will try and help

HA, Freddie as an english teacher? that's funny. HE CAN'T EVEN SPELL!!!!!

It's "sentEnces" you numb nut! :roftl:

(lol, my english teacher for 2 years couldn't spell either, she always asked me :roftl:)

Hello!!

This is a great idea for a thread! I couldn't help taking a peek...can I add something? I'm sorry, I can't resist, it's the English teacher in me :naughty:

THAN is normally used in comparisons:

I like Mika more than Amy Winehouse.

She can run faster than me.

THEN is to do with time:

I finished my homework, then I went to the cinema.

(Sorry I hope I'm not stepping on anyone's toes here, I couldn't resist :thumb_yello: )

:roftl::roftl:

NOT AT ALL !!!

i know what they mean i just cnt explain them as well as you LOL! :naughty:

yes i think THOUGH is an abbreviation/lazy version of ALTHOUGH :thumb_yello:

For me they mean the same, in general I see that english people uses "although" at the beggining of a sentence

'Although the children were sleepy, they kept watching the movie'.

"though" can be used in the beggining, the middle or in the end of it (according to the dictionary, is a "versatile" form). It is the only choice in the phrases as though and even though.

'The weather has improved a lot, though it still doesn't feel like spring'

'Squirrels are cute.I don't like them, though'

english people, feel free to correct me :)

HA, Freddie as an english teacher? that's funny. HE CAN'T EVEN SPELL!!!!!

It's "sentEnces" you numb nut! :roftl:

(lol, my english teacher for 2 years couldn't spell either, she always asked me :roftl:)

hahahaha yeah , i was shocked too :roftl: but i actually think freddies idea of the english language was more slang words and not proper english ... :roftl: ... im gonna enjoy reading this thread :roftl:

For me they mean the same, in general I see that english people uses "although" at the beggining of a sentence

'Although the children were sleepy, they kept watching the movie'.

"though" can be used in the beggining, the middle or in the end of it (according to the dictionary, is a "versatile" form). It is the only choice in the phrases as though and even though.

'The weather has improved a lot, though it still doesn't feel like spring'

'Squirrels are cute.I don't like them, though'

english people, feel free to correct me :)

No your right ... i now realise what a lazy native speaker i am :roftl:

And when do you use than and when then?

person 1: this top costs more THAN that top over there...

person 2: well in that case, how much are you willing to spend? if you want guarenteed good quality, THEN I think you should the one that costs more.

help?

ok

when you want to express your opinion, and say something that's just your opinion and somebody else could not agree

It's "To me..." or

"For me"

I was not so sure in my post above :naughty: I really don't know the difference

person 1: this top costs more THAN that top over there...

person 2: well in that case, how much are you willing to spend? if you want guarenteed good quality, THEN I think you should the one that costs more.

help?

Ah yeah I forgot to mention that...the other use of then, meaning "in that case" or something like that...... :thumb_yello:

Thank you !!:biggrin2:

*subscribes*

:wub2::wub2:

Me too. Makes me look at the dictionary more often :wink2:

and I think that trying to look for the answers to this thread, makes you learn a lot in the end :)

No your right ... i now realise what a lazy native speaker i am :roftl:

er, that is "YOU'RE" :roftl:

for the foreigners...

"you're" is a contraction of "you are", hence the apostrophe ('). It's like the "a" has been sucked up into the little line in between the "u" and "r".

let's take Caz's example.

"You're right" = "you are right."

There is also "your", but this refers to something you posses:

e.g. "Is that your bracelet over there?"

here's another that can confuse people.

There/Their/They're

"there" refers to DISTANCE.

"Look over there!" "what's that over there?" "My cup is over there"

"their" refers to something someone has.

"that's their book" "it's their choice" "that car is theirs".

"They're" is a contraction, like "you're". The same word is missing. "They're" is short for "They are":

"they're going to the shop" "they're off on holiday" "they're getting a rabbit"

see?

wow, i should be an english teacher :roftl: :roftl: