Freddies English Teaching Course

ok

when you want to express your opinion, and say something that's just your opinion and somebody else could not agree

It's "To me..." or

"For me"

I was not so sure in my post above :naughty: I really don't know the difference

Hola!

Yes, i think your post about though/although was right!

To me or For me...that's a tricky question... You could just say "in my opinion" but if you don't want to use that, it totally depends on the context.

To me he's just a a singer, not an entertainer.

For me it was a difficult experience.

See what I mean? I hope this hasn't confused you more...

only one page of lessons and then immediatly freddie (:wub2:) needs help :roftl:

we are too much *

* is it correct?

THANK YOU TO THE ASSISTANTS :mf_lustslow:

Immediately :thumb_yello:

lol, looks like I'll be the human spellchecker :roftl:

only one page of lessons and then immediatly freddie (:wub2:) needs help :roftl:

we are too much *

* is it correct?

Yes, it's correct in this case... "We are too much for him" (Freddie :naughty: )

But if you were in a group, and you were all trying to go into a small room (this is a ridiculous example, I'm sorry), you'd have to say "There are too many of us"

er, that is "YOU'RE" :roftl:

for the foreigners...

"you're" is a contraction of "you are", hence the apostrophe ('). It's like the "a" has been sucked up into the little line in between the "u" and "r".

let's take Caz's example.

"You're right" = "you are right."

There is also "your", but this refers to something you posses:

e.g. "Is that your bracelet over there?"

here's another that can confuse people.

There/Their/They're

"there" refers to DISTANCE.

"Look over there!" "what's that over there?" "My cup is over there"

"their" refers to something someone has.

"that's their book" "it's their choice" "that car is theirs".

"They're" is a contraction, like "you're". The same word is missing. "They're" is short for "They are":

"they're going to the shop" "they're off on holiday" "they're getting a rabbit"

see?

wow, i should be an english teacher :roftl: :roftl:

:lmfao:

I cant believe i was actually trusted :doh::roftl::

Immediately

i understood immediately, thanks

Yes, it's correct in this case... "We are too much for him" (Freddie)

But if you were in a group, and you were all trying to go into a small room (this is a ridiculous example, I'm sorry), you'd have to say "There are too many of us"

thanks... so... if in Madrid all of us want to entry in a little restaurant we can say: "there are to many of us in the restaurant, freddie, go away and eat little butterflies" :wink2:

Jibe .. well thats to have a humourous dig at somebody ... ., example .. mika should really stop cancelling tours ... its not nasty or hurtful , its just a jibe ...

Definate ... thats means for certain ... we will see Mika live for definate! .. example

Crassly ... well to be crass is to be rude and overt ..... , you are sooo crass!

Thanks Freddie!:thumb_yello:

Ok frederick has asked me to keep up with this thread for him as hes gone :roftl:

What a mission!:naughty:

But you’re doing well!

I was just waiting for this thread to more or less explode; we are a lot of people with English as a second language!:thumb_yello:

Thank you for that !! :biggrin2:

At first I thought people was writting it wrong. But then, when I saw a lot of people writting it that way I thought it was the same.

no problem!

and it's "writing" :wink2:

i don't usually correct people on forums/msn/myspace, because let's face it, it's quite informal, but since we are learning/teaching english, I will hunt all mistakes down :furious::wink2:

i understood immediately, thanks

thanks... so... if in Madrid all of us want to entry in a little restaurant we can say: "there are to many of us in the restaurant, freddie, go away and eat little butterflies" :wink2:

:lmfao: .... Butterflies ? :roftl: dont little boys eat slugs , and snails and puppy dogs tails .... ? Butterflies is a new one LOL :naughty:

English ryhme people :wink2::roftl:

Thanks Freddie!:thumb_yello:

What a mission!:naughty:

But you’re doing well!I was just waiting for this thread to more or less explode; we are a lot of people with English as a second language!:thumb_yello:

Thanks ! :wub2: But Personally i think i should just go crawl back under my rock :roftl::roftl::roftl:

:lmao: :lmao: yes, we would hahahaha...

(too many)

Does Freddie like butterflies then? hahaha

we are too much *

* is it correct?

Allegra, have you got ”words” on your computer?

If so, you can install a spelling program in English, it doesn’t help you much with the grammatical problems but you get a lot of help with the spelling!:wink2:

It’s not perfect though, like CazGirl!:naughty::wub2:

no problem!

and it's "writing" :wink2:

i don't usually correct people on forums/msn/myspace, because let's face it, it's quite informal, but since we are learning/teaching english, I will hunt all mistakes down :furious::wink2:

:roftl:Thanks again.

I correct my friends all the time.:naughty:. People speak so bad over here !!

Allegra, have you got ”words” on your computer?

If so, you can install a spelling program in English, it doesn’t help you much with the grammatical problems but you get a lot of help with the spelling!:wink2:

It’s not perfect though, like CazGirl!:naughty::wub2:

LOL! I have my mistakes :naughty:

i just might need to take part in this thread even though i have lived in america all my life lol!:roftl::roftl::roftl::roftl:MY GRAMMAR SUCKS!:naughty::naughty:

ah, but you're different! you're american, so you have different spelling :naughty:

For me they mean the same, in general I see that english people uses "although" at the beggining of a sentence

'Although the children were sleepy, they kept watching the movie'.

"though" can be used in the beggining, the middle or in the end of it (according to the dictionary, is a "versatile" form). It is the only choice in the phrases as though and even though.

'The weather has improved a lot, though it still doesn't feel like spring'

'Squirrels are cute.I don't like them, though'

english people, feel free to correct me :)

thank you Romis for the sentences:thumb_yello:

now it makes more sense:naughty:

This thread is great idea, I'll be back with questions for sure:thumb_yello:

Great thread Fred!:punk:

So please tell me when i need to put 'a' and 'the' when i write some words.. :boxed:

I never know that neither! (it is neither in this situation, right?) There is nothing similar to articles in Serbian language, so it's harder to understand their purpose, and I never know which one to use. Whenever I had articles in my English tests in school, that was complete nightmare to me.

I never know that neither! (it is neither in this situation, right?) There is nothing similar to articles in Serbian language, so it's harder to understand their purpose, and I never know which one to use. Whenever I had articles in my English tests in school, that was complete nightmare to me.

Okay, either/neither:

Either Mom or Dad will buy me the book. [This means that one or the other will buy the book.]

If it’s negative, you’d say:

Neither Mom nor Dad will buy me the book. [This means that you won’t be getting the book from your parents!]

BUT, if you are speaking about the people separately, it goes like this:

Mom will buy me the book. Dad will too. [This means that you are getting two books!] You don’t use either or neither when both are positive.

If there’s a negative, it goes like this:

(a) Mom won’t buy me the book. Dad won’t either.

OR:

(b) Mom won’t buy me the book. Neither will Dad.

Do you see the difference?

In the part about Dad, the use of either or neither depends on whether the verb is positive or negative.

If the verb is negative, as in (a) [won’t], you use either.

If the verb is positive, as in (b) [will], you use neither.

As you can see, in the above situation, word order is affected too: either comes after the verb and neither comes before it.

So, when you said “I never know neither”, it was wrong, because the word “never” negates the verb. So you should say “I never know either”.

:thumb_yello:

Does this make sense?

Okay, either/neither:

Either Mom or Dad will buy me the book. [This means that one or the other will buy the book.]

If it’s negative, you’d say:

Neither Mom nor Dad will buy me the book. [This means that you won’t be getting the book from your parents!]

BUT, if you are speaking about the people separately, it goes like this:

Mom will buy me the book. Dad will too. [This means that you are getting two books!] You don’t use either or neither when both are positive.

If there’s a negative, it goes like this:

(a) Mom won’t buy me the book. Dad won’t either.

OR:

(b) Mom won’t buy me the book. Neither will Dad.

Do you see the difference?

In the part about Dad, the use of either or neither depends on whether the verb is positive or negative.

If the verb is negative, as in (a) [won’t], you use either.

If the verb is positive, as in (b) [will], you use neither.

As you can see, in the above situation, word order is affected too: either comes after the verb and neither comes before it.

So, when you said “I never know neither”, it was wrong, because the word “never” negates the verb. So you should say “I never know either”.

:thumb_yello:

Does this make sense?

Thanks:thumb_yello: Now, I remember, I was learning about that in school, but I completely forgot, and I think I'm making that mistake all the time because in Serbian, in situation like that, we do use double negations. Thanks, I hope I'll remember this next time I use it...