Freddies English Teaching Course

One for me! :thumb_yello:

So London has what is called Cockney Slang ...

So basically the words Ryhme

Apples and pairs means stairs

So you go up the "apples and pairs" :wink2:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cockney_rhyming_slang

Ah, thanks :flowers2:

Interesting link, just had a butcher's :naughty:

It makes no sense to me at all but it's quite funny :roftl: The Brits :lmao:

:huglove:

One for me! :thumb_yello:

So London has what is called Cockney Slang ...

So basically the words Ryhme

Apples and pairs means stairs

So you go up the "apples and pairs" :wink2:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cockney_rhyming_slang

PEARS you fool!!! :roftl:

there are several other cockney rhyming slangs you can use. You can put them in sentences and confuse people :naughty:

i don't know that much, unfortunately. :no:

and yes Freddie, I shall tackle the hardcore stuff :naughty:

Oh, and it's Rhyme** :biggrin2:

Ah, thanks :flowers2:

Interesting link, just had a butcher's :naughty:

It makes no sense to me at all but it's quite funny :roftl: The Brits :lmao:

Ohhh!! Porkey Pie = Lie :thumb_yello:

like, sometimes my mum will say "stop telling porkies!" :roftl:

trouble and strife = wife :thumbdown:

dog and bone = phone...

if you call suspenders braces then what are braces lol i have wondered this for such a long time:bleh::roftl:

Suspenders = Braces.

"since i was in my braces" = "since i was in my suspenders" lol XD

A brace are those metal/plastic things that the dentist put in your mouth to straighten teeth. They are just called A BRACES, NOT BRACES, but so many english people make that mistake because they're lazy. I succumb to it sometimes lol, I admit!

And in England, suspenders are to do with female underwear...they hoist up your stockings :roftl:

What does the word Posh mean?

I last saw it on the mfc, and I was like: Whaaat? :naughty:

Posh is the opposite of common.

For example, a commoner in england would say:

commoner: oi you aite, mate? sup? yeah that's well bad. nah mate got nuffink to do wiv me. yeah i'd beat 'em well up if i woz you.

:roftl: sorry, was the first thing that came to my head LMAO!

A posh person would say:

posh: Good evening, I'm calling for Mr. Smith, is he home? Thank you. Hello Mr. Smith, I was wondering if you could help? I am currently looking for...

yadda yadda yadda.

Basically, Posh = Formal, and Common = Informal.

I have, however, done two VERY different extremes just so it's easier for you to get to grips with. People at college say I speak posh, but they're just very common, so next to them I guess I sound "posh", but in actual fact I'm just well spoken. I speak how I speak to you guys on here. My friend at college said "I speak like I'm writing a formal letter" :roftl:

LOL! I have my mistakes :naughty:

Yes of course, we are all human!:wub2:

I couldn’t resist teasing you a little because of the way you describe your self when it comes to handle the English, I recognize myself so much.

It’s the same way for me in my own language, Swedish.

Sometimes I really have to bite my tongue not to correct people and being mistaken for having a higher education than I actually have because of my way to talk.

But it’s a little funny too, don’t you think?:wink2:

We called it language police, as in police man.

It’s just the way we are, we language lovers!:naughty:

yaaaay!:yay:

i understand it this time:naughty:

Happy to help!:thumb_yello:

Yes of course, we are all human!:wub2:

I couldn’t resist teasing you a little because of the way you describe your self when it comes to handle the English, I recognize myself so much.

It’s the same way for me in my own language, Swedish.

Sometimes I really have to bite my tongue not to correct people and being mistaken for having a higher education than I actually have because of my way to talk.

But it’s a little funny too, don’t you think?:wink2:

We called it language police, as in police man.

It’s just the way we are, we language lovers!:naughty:

I never bite my tongue. LMAO! I always correct my teachers/fellow students if they're wrong. It's just in me and I can't ignore it, otherwise it plays on my mind, because it makes me feel they're going to go through life thinking the wrong thing.

Like at work experience on tuesday, the teacher wrote "medle" on the board, and i thought she was testing the students (who are 5-6 years old) to see if they'd notice the incorrect spelling, but she just carried on talking and i just COULDN'T keep quiet.

I raised my hand and said timidly "I am so sorry, but it's "d-a-l", not "d-l-e"." :roftl:

luckily she accepted the critisicm and didn't bite my head off LOL!

I never bite my tongue. LMAO! I always correct my teachers/fellow students if they're wrong. It's just in me and I can't ignore it, otherwise it plays on my mind, because it makes me feel they're going to go through life thinking the wrong thing.

Like at work experience on tuesday, the teacher wrote "medle" on the board, and i thought she was testing the students (who are 5-6 years old) to see if they'd notice the incorrect spelling, but she just carried on talking and i just COULDN'T keep quiet.

I raised my hand and said timidly "I am so sorry, but it's "d-a-l", not "d-l-e"." :roftl:

luckily she accepted the critisicm and didn't bite my head off LOL!

:roftl:

At least a teacher would have the ability to spell the right way!

Poor kids!

But isn’t the English language really hard to spell the right way?

I often hear people talk about how hard it is.

:roftl:

At least a teacher would have the ability to spell the right way!

Poor kids!

But isn’t the English language really hard to spell the right way?

I often hear people talk about how hard it is.

It can be, yes, because of the silent letters we have in some words, because some of our letters sound the same, because some of our words sound the same but it's a different spelling....that's where context matters.

for example with the silent letters, you can have:

Knight (as in "Knight in shining armour") but also have night (as in "day and night"). This also links with with words that sound the same.

Another example is where I told my friend at college that she was a fool (don't ask :roftl:) and said said "fool?" and i said "yes..." and she was like "full, as in, full up?" and i was like "what?! no!! FOOL! F-O-O-L!" and she was like "fall, as in, fall over?" and i was like "NO, JOANNE!!! FOOL! F-O-O-L!!! IT MEANS STUPIIIIIIIIID!!!" and then she was like "ohhhhh!" :roftl: :roftl:

So, fool/fall/full kinda sound alike, but if pronounced corretly you can hear the difference.

With fool, because of the double o's, you have an oooooooo sound in the middle.

with fall, even though it's an "a", it's still a kinda "o" sound (speaking from a British person, not American) but because it's short and doesn't have an oooooooo sound, it's therefore sounds shorter and slightly harsher.

with full, it sounds pretty much the same as fall, but again it depends on the context, so you should be alright on these words (unless you're my friend Joanne, that is)

Fool: "That was a stupid thing to do, I'm such a FOOL"

Fall: "There's a hole there, don't fall in it!"

Full: "I'm so full up!"

This can also link with "read" and "read". They look exactly the same but are pronounced differently. When speaking aloud it's fine, but when it's written down in a sentence, sometimes you have to read the rest of the sentence after the word, just so you know which one it is, because you can have:

Read ("Reed")

and

Read ("red").

"Reed" is the present/future tense one, "I will read that book"

"red" is used in the past tense, "I have read that book".

with "reading", it's only the "reed" sound. The "ing" at the end implies an action "I'm am reading a book"

goodness i could go on about grammar lmao!

whilst currently studying childcare, i get to do work experience at a school. I'm in the reception class at the moment (5-6 years) and sometimes it's difficult to teach them how to spell.

They have an ERP/ERR session (dunno what they stand for lol) but basically, the teacher says a word, chops it up (or vice versa) and the kids repeat.

E.g.: "Mad - M-A-D." "Cat - C-A-T"

That's how they start to learn, but sometimes it can get complicated with the C's and the K's, because it's the children's alphabet they learn the sounds, not the names, so we have to say "curly c and kicking k" as they're both pronounced as a "ker" sound.

There/They're/Their is complicated to teach at their age because they don't understand the differences (i wrote about this a few pages back).

Another complication are those "joining letters", such as "WHisp", "craSH", "blaDDer", "PHone", "THat" and those that make a sound of another letter.

I mean, "whisp"? Where did the "h" come from? Nevertheless, it's there. When teaching the the words, it gets a bit like Charades. Take "whisp" for example. Because the you have two letters that are meant to sound like one, you get two fingers to make the number two and place it on your arm, as if you're saying "two syllables" when playing charades, because this let's the children know that two letters are involved. With the other letters, you take the away the two fingers and add the other syllables the are left. So:

"Wh" (two fingers on arm) "I" (one finger/thumb) "S" (add another finger) "P" (add another finger).

Words like phone can sometimes be hard, but they won't learn about that till they go in the net year.

MEEEEEH.

It's friday morning, i'm tired, i need to get dressed. sorry if all this is majorly confusing!

First I have to say - this thread is freakin' awsome,it helped me a lot.

Now,my 'problem' :

I always make mistakes with spelling "lie" and "lay"...is "lie" when someone is not telling the truth,and "lay" when someone is...on the bed?:naughty:

Oh also,I don't know when to use the apostrophe...for example," Mika's shirt" (meaning <<that is his shirt>>) and "Mika's singing" (<<he is singing>>),so...when do I use apostophe and when not??