Ah, thanks :flowers2:

Interesting link, just had a butcher's :naughty:

It makes no sense to me at all but it's quite funny :roftl: The Brits :lmao:

:huglove:

:lmfao: It's always evolving too.

Pete Tong is a DJ, but a popular bit of rhyming slang in recent years was

"It's all gone Pete Tong"

as in, "it's all gone wrong" or "all gone badly wrong"

I never bite my tongue. LMAO! I always correct my teachers/fellow students if they're wrong. It's just in me and I can't ignore it, otherwise it plays on my mind, because it makes me feel they're going to go through life thinking the wrong thing.

Like at work experience on tuesday, the teacher wrote "medle" on the board, and i thought she was testing the students (who are 5-6 years old) to see if they'd notice the incorrect spelling, but she just carried on talking and i just COULDN'T keep quiet.

I raised my hand and said timidly "I am so sorry, but it's "d-a-l", not "d-l-e"." :roftl:

luckily she accepted the critisicm and didn't bite my head off LOL!

Sorry, should MQ :blush-anim-cl:

However, just wanted to make the comment, that I find this story horrifying!

I mean, if our teachers are teaching the kids to spell wrongly, what hope is there? :doh:

And finally a multi quote!

"Chav" refers to the chav subculture that's going on in the UK:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chav

the first 1 means "nice" or "cool"... it's really slang and it can mean hundreds of different things, so it's kind of hard to explain, but in the examples you gave it means "dress nicely".... (I think it's a british thing, so correct me if I'm wrong....)

lollipop_monkey is right here, in fact it's the complete opposite of nice or cool, in most people's eyes (except the chav's themselves :naughty:) it's anything but nice or cool!

(or maybe mercurygirl is a chav? Mercurygirl? :naughty:)

Cheek as in cheeky: rude.

So it basically means: That's very rude

That's right, but I believe this was said by sparkly1 and accompanied by lots of smilies, so on that occasion, she was just joking! :wink2:

I feel very ashamed, being an ex-Brit and all, asking this, but what does 'pikey' mean? As in, to pikey? My English friend used it and I had no idea what she was on about :boxed:

I'm not a Brit, but I thought I'd post some good ol' Wikipedia info. :naughty:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pikey

Whenever I hear "pikey" used, for some reason it always reminds me of a Top Gear episode where James says "bloody pikeys".... :blink: That was extremely random. LOL :naughty:

:roftl::naughty:

Another question:

"eesh the cheek of it"

What does it mean?

Cheek as in cheeky: rude.

So it basically means: That's very rude

That's right, but I believe this was said by sparkly1 and accompanied by lots of smilies, so on that occasion, she was just joking! :wink2:

Yes it was, and from the “spiritual meaning” from the whole post it was clear to me that she made some kind of joke (thank god for smileys!) but as the curious George I am I wanted to have a full explanation.

Thank you both!:wub2:

Isn’t this a text book example on how easy we can misunderstand each other in this place?:wink2:

Whenever I hear "pikey" used, for some reason it always reminds me of a Top Gear episode where James says "bloody pikeys".... :blink: That was extremely random. LOL :naughty:

:roftl:

And it reminds me of the movie 'Snatch'!

:roftl: Brad Pitt's best character ever!!

I'm not a Brit, but I thought I'd post some good ol' Wikipedia info. :naughty:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pikey

And what a hoo hah there was about that too! The PC brigade were out in force! I think it was even on the news.....

Posh is the opposite of common.

For example, a commoner in england would say:

commoner: oi you aite, mate? sup? yeah that's well bad. nah mate got nuffink to do wiv me. yeah i'd beat 'em well up if i woz you.

:roftl: sorry, was the first thing that came to my head LMAO!

A posh person would say:

posh: Good evening, I'm calling for Mr. Smith, is he home? Thank you. Hello Mr. Smith, I was wondering if you could help? I am currently looking for...

yadda yadda yadda.

Basically, Posh = Formal, and Common = Informal.

I have, however, done two VERY different extremes just so it's easier for you to get to grips with. People at college say I speak posh, but they're just very common, so next to them I guess I sound "posh", but in actual fact I'm just well spoken. I speak how I speak to you guys on here. My friend at college said "I speak like I'm writing a formal letter" :roftl:

Aaah. Cool! :naughty:

Thank you for your help!

"commoner: oi you aite, mate? sup? yeah that's well bad. nah mate got nuffink to do wiv me. yeah i'd beat 'em well up if i woz you"

Haha, that was funny. :roftl:

I always talk like that, that "common" way, during English class.

A teacher got angry to me when I said: "Heeee mate! Let's go to the pub, and grab a beer, ya bloody ****aah!" [Haha, I guess ther will be stars standing here]

Cause I didn't knew what I said, a class mate said to me: Hee Barbara, say this to the teacher that's funny. And I was like: hmmn, ok! I think it should be funny than? :naughty:

After that I was kicked out of class.

Aaah. Cool! :naughty:

Thank you for your help!

"commoner: oi you aite, mate? sup? yeah that's well bad. nah mate got nuffink to do wiv me. yeah i'd beat 'em well up if i woz you"

Haha, that was funny. :roftl:

I always talk like that, that "common" way, during English class.

A teacher got angry to me when I said: "Heeee mate! Let's go to the pub, and grab a beer, ya bloody ****aah!" [Haha, I guess ther will be stars standing here]

Cause I didn't knew what I said, a class mate said to me: Hee Barbara, say this to the teacher that's funny. And I was like: hmmn, ok! I think it should be funny than? :naughty:

After that I was kicked out of class.

Never trust a friend who says that. :naughty:

Sounds like "to me" is: 'the way I see it' or 'the way I think'

and "For me" , about me being thru that, like I'm doing that action and I feel about it that way :bleh:

people you do a great job here:thumb_yello:

Yes I couldn't have said it better myself! "To me" is generally about what you think, whereas "for me" is more about how you feel :thumb_yello: :thumb_yello:

MMMMMM unsure

In what context have you heard this?

I'm not telling....:pbjt:

Seriously Freddie, this cute little question of yours made me so happy! :wub2:

If you don’t know the meaning of certain word, imagine my situation!!!!:naughty:

I love the way you write though, Allegra!

so i wrote in english and you understood something???

i'm happy now

:pbjt:

If you don’t know the meaning of certain word, imagine my situation!!!!:naughty:

:roftl: crazy teacher and crazy students :roftl::roftl: