Freddies English Teaching Course

I have this huge issue....

I don't know when to use the infinitive and when the ...ing one

I just try to guess, maybe it's time for me to move on from random choices...

Just bumped here absolutely randomly!

I don't speak english and i have not time to learn because i'm an old goat!

Anyway last year i subscribed to an english online course, very cheap, and there were some grammar summary. I did not study anything but at least i remember the titles of the lessons!

Et voilà:

-ING OR TO

When two verbs come together in a sentence, the second verb will take either the TO or the –ING form.

NOTE: Some verbs may be followed by the infinitive without TO. In this exercise we shall see the infinitive with TO.

WHEN DO WE USE –ING?

- After prepositions and adverbs.

Examples: Competition is about winning. After seeing her boyfriend.

- After the following verbs: FINISH, FANCY, DELAY, ADVISE, PRACTISE, CONSIDER, AVOID, SUGGEST, ADMIT, IMAGINE, RISK, MISS, POSTPONE, ENJOY, MIND, TOLERATE, DENY, RESIST, APPRECIATE, CAN’THELP, CAN’T STAND, DISCUSS, DISLIKE, INVOLVE, MENTION, LOOK FORWARD TO

Example: I finish working at 6. I fancy playing a game of tennis.

WHEN DO WE USE THE INFINITIVE FORM TO?

After the following verbs: EXPECT, WANT, NEED, LEARN, HOPE, AGREE, DECIDE, FORGET, OFFER, FAIL, PLAN, ATTEMPT, MANAGE, THREATEN, ARRANGE, REFUSE, DESERVE, AFFORD, APPEAR, ASK, BE PLEASED, CHOOSE, HAPPEN, INTEND, PREPARE, PRETEND, SEEM, TEND, WISH, WOULD LIKE

Example: I want to go to school. I expected to see Mary at the party.

NOTE: the word TO is the particle that accompanies the infinitive and is NOT a preposition!!

USE –ING or TO

After the following verbs you can use either the –ING form or the infinitive TO form without change in meaning: CONTINUE, START, HATE, BEGIN, LOVE

Example: I started working here last year. I started to work here last year.

TO or -ING WITH DIFFERENT MEANINGS

After the following verbs you can use either the –ING form or the infinitive TO form. However, the sentences will have different meanings:

1. STOP

- When we want to say that we are no longer doing an activity we use -ING. Example: I stopped smoking two years ago.

- When we stop an activity to start another one we use TO. Example: I stopped to fill the car with petrol.

2. REMEMBER

- To express a recollection or a memory of something we use -ING. Example: I remember visiting my grandparents when I was a child.

- To express the importance of not forgetting to do something we use TO. Example: I remembered to send that e-mail.

3. TRY

- To say that we have done something as an experiment we use -ING. Example: I tried painting the room a different colour.

- To say that we made an effort to do something but were not successful, we use TO. Example: I tried to call Mary but there was no answer.

4. LIKE

- To say that we enjoy an activity we use -ING. Example: I like going to football games.

- To say that we believe something is necessary we use TO. Example: I like to keep my kitchen clean.

Copyrigth by that english course...

Wow, Allegra -- I embarrassed to say that I wouldn't have been able to give Sylvie such a comprehensive explanation as that! :eek:

I would have just said, "Use whatever sounds best in the sentence." :naughty:

Wow, Allegra -- I embarrassed to say that I wouldn't have been able to give Sylvie such a comprehensive explanation as that! :eek:

I would have just said, "Use whatever sounds best in the sentence." :naughty:

Dear Deb, sincerely my "philosophy" about foreign languages is: "use whatever sounds understandable to others, even if it is wrong!" :fisch:

This lesson (written obviously not by me) it is just to be boaster (i searched this word on dictionary) with Elwendin :punk:

This lesson (written obviously not by me) it is just to be boaster (i searched this word on dictionary) with Elwendin

I just looked for it on my dictionary as well.

We rock.

So, what should I do now?

Should I get those verbs tattooed on my forearms?

For the moment I'm having them uploaded on my google drive.

I thought it was about some grammar rule, instead it's all about what kind of verb you are picking up.

Edited by Elwendin

Homework - it's always singular :wink2:

S h t

I swear I thought "This one looks like help, advice, I shouldn't add an S"

What about this?

To have lived with many dogs, to have worked with thousands of them, also taught to me how to relax.

or

Having lived with many dogs, having worked with thousands of them, also taught to me how to relax.

I used to go for the ING form but then I've been told I exaggerated with it, so now I always pick the infinitive one...

Edited by Elwendin

Et voilà:

-ING OR TO

When two verbs come together in a sentence, the second verb will take either the TO or the –ING form.

NOTE: Some verbs may be followed by the infinitive without TO. In this exercise we shall see the infinitive with TO.

WHEN DO WE USE –ING?

- After prepositions and adverbs.

Examples: Competition is about winning. After seeing her boyfriend.

- After the following verbs: FINISH, FANCY, DELAY, ADVISE, PRACTISE, CONSIDER, AVOID, SUGGEST, ADMIT, IMAGINE, RISK, MISS, POSTPONE, ENJOY, MIND, TOLERATE, DENY, RESIST, APPRECIATE, CAN’THELP, CAN’T STAND, DISCUSS, DISLIKE, INVOLVE, MENTION, LOOK FORWARD TO

Example: I finish working at 6. I fancy playing a game of tennis.

WHEN DO WE USE THE INFINITIVE FORM TO?

After the following verbs: EXPECT, WANT, NEED, LEARN, HOPE, AGREE, DECIDE, FORGET, OFFER, FAIL, PLAN, ATTEMPT, MANAGE, THREATEN, ARRANGE, REFUSE, DESERVE, AFFORD, APPEAR, ASK, BE PLEASED, CHOOSE, HAPPEN, INTEND, PREPARE, PRETEND, SEEM, TEND, WISH, WOULD LIKE

Example: I want to go to school. I expected to see Mary at the party.

NOTE: the word TO is the particle that accompanies the infinitive and is NOT a preposition!!

USE –ING or TO

After the following verbs you can use either the –ING form or the infinitive TO form without change in meaning: CONTINUE, START, HATE, BEGIN, LOVE

Example: I started working here last year. I started to work here last year.

TO or -ING WITH DIFFERENT MEANINGS

After the following verbs you can use either the –ING form or the infinitive TO form. However, the sentences will have different meanings:

1. STOP

- When we want to say that we are no longer doing an activity we use -ING. Example: I stopped smoking two years ago.

- When we stop an activity to start another one we use TO. Example: I stopped to fill the car with petrol.

2. REMEMBER

- To express a recollection or a memory of something we use -ING. Example: I remember visiting my grandparents when I was a child.

- To express the importance of not forgetting to do something we use TO. Example: I remembered to send that e-mail.

3. TRY

- To say that we have done something as an experiment we use -ING. Example: I tried painting the room a different colour.

- To say that we made an effort to do something but were not successful, we use TO. Example: I tried to call Mary but there was no answer.

4. LIKE

- To say that we enjoy an activity we use -ING. Example: I like going to football games.

- To say that we believe something is necessary we use TO. Example: I like to keep my kitchen clean.

Copyrigth by that english course...

OMG :insane: And people say English is an easy language :mf_rosetinted:

S h t

I swear I thought "This one looks like help, advice, I shouldn't add an S"

What about this?

To have lived with many dogs, to have worked with thousands of them, also taught to me how to relax.

or

Having lived with many dogs, having worked with thousands of them, also taught to me how to relax.

I used to go for the ING form but then I've been told I exaggerated with it, so now I always pick the infinitive one...

The second one is correct, though you don't need the "to" before "me" - taught me to relax

An other question:

an other VS another.... ?

When I use an other my Word tells me off....

I would say that another is usually correct. I think there are rare situations where you could use an other, but I can't think of one at the moment :naughty:

I would say that another is usually correct. I think there are rare situations where you could use an other, but I can't think of one at the moment :naughty:

I can't think of when you would use "an other" either. :dunno:

I can't think of when you would use "an other" either. :dunno:

I think I'm remembering usages from Old English (not from personal experience, you understand :naughty:) before the two words merged.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys.

It's me. Again.

Why everybody did something but I and she? (me and her?)

"I and she" sounds terrible, but I cannot trust my instinct and I saw both versions on the internet.

Which one is correct?

And then: only VS just. The big question.

Hi guys.

It's me. Again.

"I and she" sounds terrible, but I cannot trust my instinct and I saw both versions on the internet.

Which one is correct?

It should be "me and her", because those are the pronouns you use when you are referring to the object(s) of a sentence. If you can't decide which to use, try using just one pronoun at a time. E.g.

Why did everybody do something but she?" isn't right, and neither is Why did everybody do something but I?"

But Why did everybody do something but her?" is right, and so is Why did everybody do something but me?"

So the correct sentence would be "Why did everybody do something but me and her?"

To answer your other question, I'm not sure of the rules regarding "only" and "just", but I think they're often interchangeable. I could only tell you which to use when given context. :dunno:

It should be "me and her", because those are the pronouns you use when you are referring to the object(s) of a sentence. If you can't decide which to use, try using just one pronoun at a time. E.g.

Why did everybody do something but she?" isn't right, and neither is Why did everybody do something but I?"

But Why did everybody do something but her?" is right, and so is Why did everybody do something but me?"

So the correct sentence would be "Why did everybody do something but me and her?"

To answer your other question, I'm not sure of the rules regarding "only" and "just", but I think they're often interchangeable. I could only tell you which to use when given context. :dunno:

I'm not sure about the only vs. just either, particularly out of context, but if what I've learned was correct, wouldn't it be more of

Why did everybody do something but she and I? :aah:

I'm not sure about the only vs. just either' date=' particularly out of context, but if what I've learned was correct, wouldn't it be more of

[i']Why did everybody do something but she and I?[/i] :aah:

There is often a misconception with regards to pronoun usage amongst native speakers. Children are often told that they must refer to the other person before themselves, and always refer to themselves with the pronoun "I". It's for this reason that "she and I" might sound better than "me and her" to even a native speaker. However, I think this is incorrect.

But I could be wrong. :dunno:

By the way, I love your siggy. :teehee:

There is often a misconception with regards to pronoun usage amongst native speakers. Children are often told that they must refer to the other person before themselves, and always refer to themselves with the pronoun "I". It's for this reason that "she and I" might sound better than "me and her" to even a native speaker. However, I think this is incorrect.

But I could be wrong. :dunno:

By the way, I love your siggy. :teehee:

I'm about 99% certain that the bit about referring to another person before yourself is actually grammatically correct, though, rather than a simple misconception. This is what I learned in school from a young age, and indeed is something that is still being told to us even in high school. And the last I checked, it's also the correct way according to the American Heritage Guide to Contemporary Usage and Style :wink2: Thanks! :naughty:

Edit: Also, I've just asked my mom, and she says it would also be better to find a way to use "we" or "us" instead of "she and I" because changing that sentence structure would probably sound a lot more natural. Obviously you don't need to get that far into it, though.

Edited by StarryEyed<3

I'm about 99% certain that the bit about referring to another person before yourself is actually grammatically correct' date=' though, rather than a simple misconception. This is what I learned in school from a young age, and indeed is something that is still being told to us even in high school. And the last I checked, it's also the correct way according to the [i']American Heritage Guide to Contemporary Usage and Style[/i] :wink2: Thanks! :naughty:

Edit: Also, I've just asked my mom, and she says it would also be better to find a way to use "we" or "us" instead of "she and I" because changing that sentence structure would probably sound a lot more natural. Obviously you don't need to get that far into it, though.

Ooh, if a grammar book tells you that then it's definitely correct. Thanks for pointing that out. I thought the order of pronouns could be decided by the person using them.

Although there is a possibility there are different rules for British English, since that book seems to be referring to American English. :dunno: Thanks for letting me know.

I think your mum has the right idea - it would simplify matters. :aah:

Who knew our language was so confusing? :mf_rosetinted:

Ooh, if a grammar book tells you that then it's definitely correct. Thanks for pointing that out. I thought the order of pronouns could be decided by the person using them.

Although there is a possibility there are different rules for British English, since that book seems to be referring to American English. :dunno: Thanks for letting me know.

I think your mum has the right idea - it would simplify matters. :aah:

Who knew our language was so confusing? :mf_rosetinted:

I would imagine it's the same for British English, but I couldn't know for sure since I've never actually been outside of the US. :aah: Yeah, I think being a native speaker you speak so intuitively that you only realize how weird things are when you're trying to explain them. :naughty:

I would imagine it's the same for British English' date=' but I couldn't know for sure since I've never actually been outside of the US. :aah: Yeah, I think being a native speaker you speak so intuitively that you only realize how weird things are when you're trying to explain them. :naughty:[/quote']

Exactly. I think we only succeeded in confusing Elwendin even more. :blink:

Hi guys.

It's me. Again.

Which one is correct?

The whole sentence sounds horrible :naughty:. If you forget about the other person - her - you can see it's correct to say me not I. I think in real life you would probably say the other person's name rather than "her". :dunno:

And only vs just - it really depends on the context. Both words can be used to mean "merely", but there are cases where one would be correct and the other wouldn't.

The whole sentence sounds horrible :naughty:.

I agree :aah:

The question was of course about a subtitles job we were desperately trying to finish yesterday night, I can't even remember how we decided to fix it, probably we just went for me and her, even though us would have been probably the best choice, I can see it now. My mind was blurred like I had a hangover, we finished like at 1.00 am.

But I posted here the question cause it was really an issue I've been on for some weeks as I saw some similar sentences involving I and he, so I wanted to know.

And only vs just - it really depends on the context. Both words can be used to mean "merely", but there are cases where one would be correct and the other wouldn't.

Ok. I'll drop just and only forever and go for merely. :biggrin2:

I've been told a rule back at school but I can't remember it.