Ook! (The Terry Prachett thread)

chickadee

well i couldn't find Going Postal here because they aren't translated yet ( a biig mistake) ..... but i really like the new char :P kinda strange name but i like him ... especially the gold suit :D and the next thing im goin to do is to order Going Postal

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well i couldn't find Going Postal here because they aren't translated yet ( a biig mistake) ..... but i really like the new char :P kinda strange name but i like him ... especially the gold suit :D and the next thing im goin to do is to order Going Postal

Going Postal is where you first get to meet Moist. I think he is developing into a very interesting character.

How did you start reading Discworld books - especially if you can't get a translated version?

nope i mean that in Bulgaria only the last two 'Going Postal' and 'Making Money' aren't translated ... otherwise it would be a nightmare for me to read all the discworld books when i was seven for example ... well now it's not a big problem but =)

:wink2: but i started reading terry pratchet long ago ... a friend of mine told me bout him and so it started...

nope i mean that in Bulgaria only the last two 'Going Postal' and 'Making Money' aren't translated ... otherwise it would be a nightmare for me to read all the discworld books when i was seven for example ... well now it's not a big problem but =)

:wink2: but i started reading terry pratchet long ago ... a friend of mine told me bout him and so it started...

I often wonder how they manage to translate the jokes into other languages.

Your English is very good btw - I don't think I know any Bulgarian.:naughty:

I often wonder how they manage to translate the jokes into other languages.

Your English is very good btw - I don't think I know any Bulgarian.:naughty:

that's a shame :P and the jokes .. well there's usually a explanation at the bottom of the page =) kinda of teasing but ... and sometimes they don't bother to explain it :naughty:

Yeah, I saw Nation listed on that other site I linked to on the other page when I was looking at cover art. It does look interesting...

Aleander, I notice the Catherine Tate reference in your user title. Are you a Doctor Who fan as well?

On the subject of the jokes in Terry Pratchett, that's one of the things i love about the Discworld series. I find that there's no way that I get all the jokes the first time around. That's what makes re-reading the books so much fun. I find more and more jokes as I go. And then, when I go to look at The Annotated Pratchett Files, I find I still didn't get all of the jokes, even after several times re-reading. Or all of the cultural (and pop-cultural), political, and artistic references either.

And sometimes I get a joke, but maybe not in it's entirety. For instance, in Guards, Guards... All the scenes with the secret societies (The Elucidated Brethren of the Ebon Night, The Illuminated Brethren of Ee or whatever they're actually called) I find funny. I wonder if I would find them even more funny if I actually knew more about secret societies like the Masonic Lodge etc. Just a thought. Or if the stereotype that is prevalent in the general knowledge of most people is actually the thing that makes them particularly funny. I wonder if non-Australians were laughing as hard as hubby and I over parts of The Last Continent. Dunno.

TERRY PRATCHETT I love that guy! actually I am reading one of his books right now! I love "Carpe Jugullum" and Igor is my fav character!.... hahahah there is ofc Granny and Vimes... and Maladict (vampire addicted to coffe xD) ahhahaha love his humour....great guy...:heart:

TERRY PRATCHETT I love that guy! actually I am reading one of his books right now! I love "Carpe Jugullum" and Igor is my fav character!.... hahahah there is ofc Granny and Vimes... and Maladict (vampire addicted to coffe xD) ahhahaha love his humour....great guy...:heart:

I think maybe Granny Weatherwax is my ultimate favourite character, though Vimes runs her pretty close. And Igor was one of those incidental characters who ended up with quite a big role (or should that be Igors)?

• 3 weeks later...
So CD - have you read "Wintersmith" yet?

No. Still haven't. Don't have the cash to buy it atm and owe a fine at the library that I can't afford to pay right now, so no borrowing from them. Hubby got another bookcase on the weekend from one of his workmates, so we have more space for books and I've finally unpacked all the discworld ones. Yay!

No. Still haven't. Don't have the cash to buy it atm and owe a fine at the library that I can't afford to pay right now, so no borrowing from them. Hubby got another bookcase on the weekend from one of his workmates, so we have more space for books and I've finally unpacked all the discworld ones. Yay!

:shocked:A library fine? Pity you can't pay our librarians with peanuts or yellow food items (don't want to upset Dances - she still hasn't got over the cake thing).

:shocked:A library fine? Pity you can't pay our librarians with peanuts or yellow food items (don't want to upset Dances - she still hasn't got over the cake thing).

It was earlier in the year when we moved house. One of the books that my son borrowed got seperated from the rest and put into a box and we didn't know which one. We found it eventually and have returned it, but I haven't paid the fine yet.

It was earlier in the year when we moved house. One of the books that my son borrowed got seperated from the rest and put into a box and we didn't know which one. We found it eventually and have returned it, but I haven't paid the fine yet.

Pity you couldn't have sneaked into L-space and put it back the day after you borrowed it :das:

Pity you couldn't have sneaked into L-space and put it back the day after you borrowed it :das:

:lol3::lmfao:

yeah, except for all the terrible things I've heard about L-space.

That reminds me of one of my favourite quotes from "Guards! Guards!"

"The relevant equation is this: Knowledge = power = energy = matter = mass; a good bookshop is just a genteel Black Hole that knows how to read."

One of these days that's going in my siggy.

:lol3::lmfao:

yeah, except for all the terrible things I've heard about L-space.

That reminds me of one of my favourite quotes from "Guards! Guards!"

"The relevant equation is this: Knowledge = power = energy = matter = mass; a good bookshop is just a genteel Black Hole that knows how to read."

One of these days that's going in my siggy.

I have so many favourite quotes I wouldn't know where to start :roftl:

I have so many favourite quotes I wouldn't know where to start :roftl:

You can either start with the first one that springs to mind or work through the books in chronological order or go in themes ie Rincewind, Death, Witches etc etc. I don't mind:bleh:

You can either start with the first one that springs to mind or work through the books in chronological order or go in themes ie Rincewind, Death, Witches etc etc. I don't mind:bleh:

:roftl:

"I ain't been vampired. You've been Weatherwaxed"

and I've even found myself saying "I can't be having with this":shocked:

:roftl:

"I ain't been vampired. You've been Weatherwaxed"

and I've even found myself saying "I can't be having with this":shocked:

Yes, yes, yes! Granny is my absolute favourite character. Although I fear that I'm really Perdita, I always wanted to be Granny.

"I aten't dead" - not a spoken quote obviously, but i still love it.

Yes, yes, yes! Granny is my absolute favourite character. Although I fear that I'm really Perdita, I always wanted to be Granny.

"I aten't dead" - not a spoken quote obviously, but i still love it.

Granny is definitely my favourite, but I don't think I could aspire to be her - I could probably just about manage Magrat standard.

But I think both she and Vetinari benefit from the fact that though what they do in the books makes them seem very wise and powerful, Terry Pratchett writes them that way.:naughty:

My parents have so many books of him. :naughty: I tried to read one but I just didn't understand it. My English isn't good enough, I guess. :mf_rosetinted:

Btw, all the walls of the living room are packed with bookshelfs. You even can't see the walls. :naughty: That was off-topic.

He is very funny, but I guess it would be hard to read his work in English if you didn't know it well. But there may be translated versions available.

And your living room sounds like my sort of place :naughty:

He is very funny, but I guess it would be hard to read his work in English if you didn't know it well. But there may be translated versions available.

And your living room sounds like my sort of place :naughty:

Sounds like my sort of place too. The only reason our lounge room walls are not packed with bookshelves is cos we've scattered the bookcases around the house:naughty:

I forgot to tell you... DH was reading this site the other day where it said Terry Pratchett took a few books to really get to grips with Discworld and that the best place to start therefore was with Mort and not with Colour of Magic. The second best place to start was Guards! Guards!.

Thoughts anyone?

I forgot to tell you... DH was reading this site the other day where it said Terry Pratchett took a few books to really get to grips with Discworld and that the best place to start therefore was with Mort and not with Colour of Magic. The second best place to start was Guards! Guards!.

Thoughts anyone?

I would definitely agree with Guards! Guards!, but I have to say that Mort isn't one of my favourites - I think I have only read it twice (considering most of the the others I have read over and over:naughty:) But Mort? Hmmm.

Wyrd Sisters maybe.