Ook! (The Terry Prachett thread)

chickadee

I think that is some of it. The other thing is that the Tiffany books aren't very humorous. Granny and Nanny popped up and I just found myself terribly annoyed with Granny in how she deals with Tiffany, and the laughs I look to Nanny for just weren't there.

Maybe that's because the stories are from Tiffany's perspective? Granny would seem rather cold and authoritarian to her.

Also I suppose it's hard to pitch Pratchett's sort of humour at children as it is so reliant on word play and parodies of films, plays etc. You need lots of life experience to really appreciate him.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe that's because the stories are from Tiffany's perspective? Granny would seem rather cold and authoritarian to her.

Also I suppose it's hard to pitch Pratchett's sort of humour at children as it is so reliant on word play and parodies of films, plays etc. You need lots of life experience to really appreciate him.

I dont think so to be honest, i read my first pratchett at about 6 or 7. I loved them and they started me on the road to loving the great man. I agree you take different things out of them as an adult, but there is definately a lot of humour for children in them. A lot of things that go over children's heads make adults laugh, but a lot of things go under adult's radar that children laugh at it..

I dont think so to be honest, i read my first pratchett at about 6 or 7. I loved them and they started me on the road to loving the great man. I agree you take different things out of them as an adult, but there is definately a lot of humour for children in them. A lot of things that go over children's heads make adults laugh, but a lot of things go under adult's radar that children laugh at it..

I'm not saying you can't appreciate him when you're young - just that his humour is so multi-layered (and sometimes quite subtle) that you get more out of it when you're a bit older and have wider experience.

:blink:That's not really what I want to say but my brain has stopped working.:naughty:

Hi, my name is Ela and I'm diskworldoholic:wink2:

It was my boyfriend who infected me with Terry Pratchett and the Diskworld novels. As a punisment I married him.:naughty:

I don't read all Diskworld books yet but I'm sure I will made it.:bleh: My problems are that I read the most in my mother tongue German. So it could be I know other names for the books and characters. Please be patient with me. Since 2 years I'm try to improving my English with reading books. Any books? Nooo! Mostly Diskworld novels. To read them in two language doubled the fun and the amount of the books:naughty:! And I can answer to the question concernig the translation of the jokes. It depends who translate the jokes. But honestly its better to read it in the original language. Its so much funnier. Some things are simply impossible to translate.

I love all characters of the diskworld but some a bit more than others:

Granny Weatherwax, Sam Vimes (I looove the guards), Captain Carrot and Angua, Lord Vetinari, Susan Sto Helit, DEATH, Tiffany Aching and the Nac Mac Feegles, Moist von Lipwig......to be continue.

I would like to thank Silver for sending me the link to that thread:wink2:

It was my boyfriend who infected me with Terry Pratchett and the Diskworld novels. As a punisment I married him.:naughty:

I don't read all Diskworld books yet but I'm sure I will made it.:bleh: My problems are that I read the most in my mother tongue German. So it could be I know other names for the books and characters. Please be patient with me. Since 2 years I'm try to improving my English with reading books. Any books? Nooo! Mostly Diskworld novels. To read them in two language doubled the fun and the amount of the books:naughty:! And I can answer to the question concernig the translation of the jokes. It depends who translate the jokes. But honestly its better to read it in the original language. Its so much funnier. Some things are simply impossible to translate.

Granny Weatherwax, Sam Vimes (I looove the guards), Captain Carrot and Angua, Lord Vetinari, Susan Sto Helit, DEATH, Tiffany Aching and the Nac Mac Feegles, Moist von Lipwig......to be continue.

Nice to hear from you Ela :naughty: I think Granny Weatherwax and Sam Vimes are probably my favourite characters too.

By the way, I live not very far from Uffington, which is where the White Horse in your siggie is. Have you seen it in real life?

Hahaha. That was the same for me. My boyfriend introduced me to Discworld and we've been married for 12 years now! Welcome to the thread.

Has anybody read "Nation" yet?

Nope. I've seen it in the bookstores, but that's as far as I've gotten. I've just finished reading Brisingr. Bought it for my son for his birthday last week. He finished it in two days and then I had it for the next too.:bleh:

Big interview with Terry in the Weekend magazine with the Mail on Sunday. I'll see if it's online and post a link if it is.

Cool! Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for that Silver. I guess I'm relieved to hear that it's his motor skills that are deteriorating before his mind, even though that's an awfully selfish thing of me to say. I was extremely curious to find that they reported his fanbase as being mostly women. I've always thought of Pratchett as very male humour. And apart from you lovely ladies on here, where we have an unnatural bias towards a female population because of Mika, most everyone else I know who reads Pratchett is male. And on the myspace groups I joined (which I never visit anymore), they were mostly male. Anyway, thanks for scanning it.

Thanks for that Silver. I guess I'm relieved to hear that it's his motor skills that are deteriorating before his mind, even though that's an awfully selfish thing of me to say. I was extremely curious to find that they reported his fanbase as being mostly women. I've always thought of Pratchett as very male humour. And apart from you lovely ladies on here, where we have an unnatural bias towards a female population because of Mika, most everyone else I know who reads Pratchett is male. And on the myspace groups I joined (which I never visit anymore), they were mostly male. Anyway, thanks for scanning it.

I would dispute that his fans are mostly female too :naughty: In RL I have rarely met a female fan (lots of teenage boys though).

Nice to hear from you Ela :naughty: I think Granny Weatherwax and Sam Vimes are probably my favourite characters too.

By the way, I live not very far from Uffington, which is where the White Horse in your siggie is. Have you seen it in real life?

Its very difficult to make a decision. The characters are all very unique and fantastic. But Sam Vimes and Granny Weatherwax were to special to love them not.:wub2:

Oh really? You live near the Uffington horse? Oh wow, thats wonderful. No I wasn't there before. My first trip to England was because of a Mika gig in London this year. But I would love to see it and to see more of England of course!:blush-anim-cl:

Did you know Mika quote a sentence from a discworld novel? He said in one of his blog "The possibilities are endless!" And Moist said the same nearly at the end of "Making money" as he spokes about money which could talk! I didn't notice it! It was my husband. :naughty:

Hahaha. That was the same for me. My boyfriend introduced me to Discworld and we've been married for 12 years now! Welcome to the thread.

Thank you for the warm welcome Chickadee. 12 Years! not bad:thumb_yello: It seems it was a mild punishment. Congrats!

We've been married for 10 years. What you deserves it what you get!:naughty:

I'm sorry when I answer so late or seldom. I'm not that often here on the MFC. I'm mostly to busy at work. So please be patient. I will answer but it takes time.:blush-anim-cl:

Its very difficult to make a decision. The characters are all very unique and fantastic. But Sam Vimes and Granny Weatherwax were to special to love them not.:wub2:

Oh really? You live near the Uffington horse? Oh wow, thats wonderful. No I wasn't there before. My first trip to England was because of a Mika gig in London this year. But I would love to see it and to see more of England of course!:blush-anim-cl:

Did you know Mika quote a sentence from a discworld novel? He said in one of his blog "The possibilities are endless!" And Moist said the same nearly at the end of "Making money" as he spokes about money which could talk! I didn't notice it! It was my husband. :naughty:

Oh yes you're right about that quote - I hadn't noticed either! (So your husband watches the blogs too :naughty:)

I'm sorry when I answer so late or seldom. I'm not that often here on the MFC. I'm mostly to busy at work. So please be patient. I will answer but it takes time.:blush-anim-cl:

Just post whenever you can - it's nice to hear from you.

And which gig did you go to, by the way?

Thank you for the warm welcome Chickadee. 12 Years! not bad:thumb_yello: It seems it was a mild punishment. Congrats!

We've been married for 10 years. What you deserves it what you get!:naughty:

Yes, Sam Vimes and Granny are two of my favourites as well. I guess I mostly tend to love all the strong main characters, as well as a couple of oddball others... and some of the strong secondary characters.

Gee, I hadn't noticed that. I would have thought though that it's really just a fairly common phrase, when you talk about possibilities. I'd love to know if he does read Terry Pratchett though hehe.

Don't worry about how long it takes you to answer in this thread. It's a fairly slow moving thread anyway!

• 1 month later...

Wow! Well done Sir Terry!

I gave my hubby for Christmas "Secrets of the Wee Free Men and Discworld: The Myths and Legends of Terry Pratchett's Multiverse". He's finished it and I'm now reading it. ..... Because it's not written by Terry Pratchett, it lacks his humour. Still, it's not too bad, but it's a bit like The Annotated Pratchett Files in book form. I dunno.

My sister-in-law bought for him "The Folklore of Discworld" which I looked at and decided I'd get him for his birthday (which is in a couple of days), so that was lucky. He's currently reading that one and chuckles more. I'm looking forward to reading it after him. Terry is one of the co-authors of this one.

Wow! Well done Sir Terry!

I gave my hubby for Christmas "Secrets of the Wee Free Men and Discworld: The Myths and Legends of Terry Pratchett's Multiverse". He's finished it and I'm now reading it. ..... Because it's not written by Terry Pratchett, it lacks his humour. Still, it's not too bad, but it's a bit like The Annotated Pratchett Files in book form. I dunno.

My sister-in-law bought for him "The Folklore of Discworld" which I looked at and decided I'd get him for his birthday (which is in a couple of days), so that was lucky. He's currently reading that one and chuckles more. I'm looking forward to reading it after him. Terry is one of the co-authors of this one.

Yes, there's lots of peripheral material written around the Discworld now, I really quite enjoy the Science of Discworld stuff.

Haven't read the Folklore one yet.

And have you tried out any of Nanny Ogg's recipes in your cooking thread?:naughty:

Yes, there's lots of peripheral material written around the Discworld now, I really quite enjoy the Science of Discworld stuff.

Haven't read the Folklore one yet.

And have you tried out any of Nanny Ogg's recipes in your cooking thread?:naughty:

Really? I just found that I was skipping the science chapters and reading the story chapters cos they got progressively more involved until I really couldn't follow them any more and gave up.

I've not tried out any of Nanny Ogg's recipes in my own kitchen, let alone put them in the cooking thread!:naughty:

Really? I just found that I was skipping the science chapters and reading the story chapters cos they got progressively more involved until I really couldn't follow them any more and gave up.

I've not tried out any of Nanny Ogg's recipes in my own kitchen, let alone put them in the cooking thread!:naughty:

Probably a wise decision :wink2:

I must admit a few of the chapters of the science books are at the limit of my scientific understanding, but then I like a challenge :naughty: