Ook! (The Terry Prachett thread)

chickadee

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I watched the programme on Wednesday, and it was depressing really, although Terry was trying to out a brave face on it.

He has a rare variant of Alzheimers affecting his visual cortex. So his memory is still OK, but he has great difficulty in working out what he is seeing. This makes typing and tasks like putting on a tie very difficult for him, because his brain is not interpreting what his eyes are seeing correctly.

Apparently they initially thought he had problems with his eyesight, and it was only later that Alzheimers was diagnosed.

Part 2 is next Wednesday.

Thanks Silver. I don't really know what to say. There's a part of me that wants to see it, but I'm not sure that I'm up for being depressed like that, and I feel bad that I'm glad Terry's memory is not impaired.

Let me know what part 2 is like.

Thanks Silver. I don't really know what to say. There's a part of me that wants to see it, but I'm not sure that I'm up for being depressed like that, and I feel bad that I'm glad Terry's memory is not impaired.

Let me know what part 2 is like.

I had mixed feelings about it myself. He did get to met someone who has the same variant of Alzheimers, but who had had it for much longer, a scientist who was still completely lucid but who could no longer read or write or dress himself.

• 3 weeks later...

I completely forgot to update this after I had seen part two of the documentary.

In the second part Terry was in America, visiting a doctor who seemed to have had some success with a treatment he had found by accident. However, no serious testing seemed to have taken place - all the results were anecdotal - so Terry decided to give it a miss.

By the end of the programme he had realised that however his Alzheimers had presented itself, it would inevitably lead to his overall mental deterioration. He also realised that the problem would ultimately be his wife and daughter's problem, as by then he wouldn't know what was happening. So he was going to look for a good nursing home to end up in.

In a way it was really depressing, to know that such a brilliant mind is going to be lost. But Terry himself remained quite cheerful and determined to carry on the fight for more money for research into Alzheimers.

• 1 month later...
Oh yes you're right about that quote - I hadn't noticed either! (So your husband watches the blogs too :naughty:)

Well its very late to reply to this but I have to say my husband isn't watching the Mika's blogs freely! I'm mostly that excited that he has to listen to me when I tell him all what Mika writes or I make him watching the blogs:naughty: But my husband is very patient with me and my Mika obsession:wink2: Lucky me!

Just post whenever you can - it's nice to hear from you.

And which gig did you go to, by the way?

I went to 3 gigs: 30-10-2007 - Frankfurt/Germany, 12-11-2007 - Esch/Luxembourg and the one in London Brixton 26-02-2008. Every single gig was awesome and special! My husband was with me in Frankfurt and London. He loved it too! In Esch I was with a friend.

Whats about you? Perhaps I saw you in London and didn't know? :wink2:

Yes, Sam Vimes and Granny are two of my favourites as well. I guess I mostly tend to love all the strong main characters, as well as a couple of oddball others... and some of the strong secondary characters.

Gee, I hadn't noticed that. I would have thought though that it's really just a fairly common phrase, when you talk about possibilities. I'd love to know if he does read Terry Pratchett though hehe.

Don't worry about how long it takes you to answer in this thread. It's a fairly slow moving thread anyway!

I think it is normal to love the main characters first. You meet them again and again. You know a lot of them and their personality and their whim. Its like meeting a good old friend! Isn't it? :wink2:

Thihih, Perhaps we should suggest Mika to read Terry Pratchett instead of Edgar Allan Poe??:naughty: But honestly I think it is a common phrase and Terry and Mika used it. A coincidence! but a nice one when you love the two of them!

Thank you very much! Indeed the thread is refreshing slowly! I so love that:wub2:

I think it is normal to love the main characters first. You meet them again and again. You know a lot of them and their personality and their whim. Its like meeting a good old friend! Isn't it? :wink2:

Thihih, Perhaps we should suggest Mika to read Terry Pratchett instead of Edgar Allan Poe??:naughty: But honestly I think it is a common phrase and Terry and Mika used it. A coincidence! but a nice one when you love the two of them!

Thank you very much! Indeed the thread is refreshing slowly! I so love that:wub2:

It is actually (like meeting old friends again). I'm reminded of Winona Ryder's character in Little Women when she's talking to Professor Bhaer at one point and they're talking about Shakespeare and she says "Some books are like old friends" and I always thought "That is such a different generation because to me Shakespeare is not like an old friend but like a completely different language even though it's still English."

But when I start reading Granny Weatherwax or Sam Vimes, it is like meeting old friends again... Relaxing but at the same time stimulating. There's all that shared history which means you don't have to be on your guard, but at the same time, the wit that makes each one appealing is stimulating even if you've encountered it before.

Mind you, I make sure to leave a fairly long period of time between re-reading books so that I've forgotten some of the funny bits and will find them funny all over again.

Well, Silver and I have talked very briefly about this on Twitter but I thought this might be a good place to say....

Did you all know that Going Postal is being made into a movie?

What do you think about this? Do you have any ideas about who you would like to see cast?

Well, Silver and I have talked very briefly about this on Twitter but I thought this might be a good place to say....

Did you all know that Going Postal is being made into a movie?

What do you think about this? Do you have any ideas about who you would like to see cast?

Depends on who does the financing I guess - whether you get American stars or a more global selection.

Actually I'm finding it hard to think of anybody to play Moist. Or Vetinari.

Depends on who does the financing I guess - whether you get American stars or a more global selection.

Actually I'm finding it hard to think of anybody to play Moist. Or Vetinari.

Well, I think Jeremy Irons did an OK job of Vetinari in Colour of Magic, except he gave him a lisp. A LISP! I just didn't get that. Terry's never written him with a lisp, and I mean, Terry knows how to write lisps. It gave Vetinari an immediate and obvious "weakness" that I just don't think the man has. And considering that Terry was heavily involved with the movie (to the point that he's IN the movie), I'm surprised he let Vetinari be played that way.

Yes, Moist is tricky. He has to be someone with an "everybody" kind of face, one who blends in with the crowd, but who has some charisma when it counts.... This will need some careful thought. And right now, my brain hurts.

The other thing is, I'd like to think the cast will be mostly English, and I don't have enough knowledge of English actors, apart from the very famous ones. It would need to be somebody with enough clout to headline a movie, but with enough "lack of a particular persona in the public's mind" to take on Moist.

Now I'm really getting stuck. I think if it was about 10 or 15 years ago, and Mark Addy was slimmer and fitter (and could disguise his accent) he would have enough of that "anybody/nobody" face that would work. I really like Mark Addy:wub2:

The other thing is, I'd like to think the cast will be mostly English, and I don't have enough knowledge of English actors, apart from the very famous ones. It would need to be somebody with enough clout to headline a movie, but with enough "lack of a particular persona in the public's mind" to take on Moist.

Now I'm really getting stuck. I think if it was about 10 or 15 years ago, and Mark Addy was slimmer and fitter (and could disguise his accent) he would have enough of that "anybody/nobody" face that would work. I really like Mark Addy:wub2:

He is a great actor, I agree!

He has been in the same films as Heath Ledger:wub2: several times!:wink2:

Same here. I'm wondering if maybe we could get Sydney twinned with Bugarup or something...:naughty:

It could be quite interesting to be twinned with Genua - the food sounds good :roftl:

No it doesn't! It sounds like New Orleans, and there's too much seafood in their food. (I hate seafood:bleh:)

:roftl: Well I'm a vegetarian and wouldn't eat any of it - but Terry still makes it sound good