All Questions About Mika's Songs!

so i had this idea for a forum...

i don't know about you guys, but sometimes i have some questions about mika's songs (like why did he write this song..what are the real lyrics...etc), and so i think that on this forum you can post/answer questions you have about any of his music!

so basically, if you have a question, post it! and if you have an answer to a question that has been posted, then post the answer! or if you don't have a real answer but you have a link to a video or an article that talks about the question, or even just have a guess, then feel free to post that too!

i'll start off with some questions:

-why did mika write "over my shoulder"?

-why did mika write "ring ring"?

-what are the exact words to raffa's commentary at the end of "ring ring"/"relax, take it easy"? (it depends on which album you have)

♥superstar

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you'll find that pretty much every word of every song Mika has written has already been discussed (in great detail :wink2:) - just search the threads on this forum:thumb_yello:

I think it's a good idea- and maybe one which needs to be faced before the second album comes out (so we've plenty of time!)

I know it's boring for people who discussed things back in spring 07 to read the same points being made again and again. But as someone who only bought LICM in spring 08, I'd rather discuss things myself, with other new (or rejeuvenated) people, than just read an old discussion.

Perhaps some threads could be flagged as "repeats".

I've also noticed slight antagonism between people who diligently read all posts in a thread and people who don't. Perhaps other threads could be flagged for "serious readers"

Or something?

Sorry, got carried away and forgot the actual thread topic

-why did mika write "ring ring"?

♥superstar

I think that while Mika might have started by writing about a girl who pursued him, at the back of his mind he was thinking of himself stalking the people in the music industry, trying to force them to listen to him.

My own question-

Is SITM addressed to his parents (I think Cubitus said in the Beirut gig thread that he dedicated it to his dad)? If so, does he seriously expect them to answer "Are 5 kids better than one?" with "No, son, we wish we'd just had you!" Or what?

My own question-

Is SITM addressed to his parents (I think Cubitus said in the Beirut gig thread that he dedicated it to his dad)? If so, does he seriously expect them to answer "Are 5 kids better than one?" with "No, son, we wish we'd just had you!" Or what?

i don't really understand this song either. mika talks about how great his family is all the time, and so maybe this is just at a time where he was frustrated with them.

i remember hearing sometime when he was talking about SITM, he said that he didn't mean that he really sat around and thought about when he/she was going to die. he didnt really mean it like murderous thoughts.

maybe this is just at a time where he was frustrated with them.

Maybe. I'm not so sure though, he never seems to miss it off his set list, and I think it's my favourite song on the album, it always sounds so sincere. Though I think he sounds a lot younger than 23 in it, he's said in interviews that all the songs were written over a 2 year ish period, so the album put a frame round a certain time in his life.

What's your favourite?

Do you think Holy Johnny was based on a real person or combination of people. And do you think one of them is Mika himself?

Do you think Holy Johnny was based on a real person or combination of people. And do you think one of them is Mika himself?

i think i remember mika saying that he didn't write songs for people in particular.. i mean obviously any other world was based about Raffa, and stuck in the middle wasn't about his pet dog, but i don't think that he wrote it necessarely based on anyone.

"I always just write songs for the sake of writing them."

i think i remember mika saying that he didn't write songs for people in particular.. i mean obviously any other world was based about Raffa, and stuck in the middle wasn't about his pet dog, but i don't think that he wrote it necessarely based on anyone.

Well part of being good at writing stories is being able to convince people that they're true- but I'm not sure about this Holy JOhhny. He's sounds like he started talking about one thing, but got sidetracked onto something more personal. Either way, I hope the song's on the new album, though I'm picking up a sense that it isn't.

i don't really understand this song either. mika talks about how great his family is all the time, and so maybe this is just at a time where he was frustrated with them.

i remember hearing sometime when he was talking about SITM, he said that he didn't mean that he really sat around and thought about when he/she was going to die. he didnt really mean it like murderous thoughts.

I think SITM was probably written at a crossroads in his life. He may not have actully written it when he was an adult, but might have had the idea for it when he was a tenager. To me, it comes accross like the words of a teenager who thinks his family don't understand him. Kind of like the emotional growing pains many teenagers have. I think that's why it's so popular really, many people identify with it, or can remember when they felt that way themselves.

I watched a video of Holy Johnny live, and at the beginning he says "I feel sorry for my friends. They always have these nasty little songs written about them Tough sh*t!" :roftl: (or something along those lines)

But he might have been talking about a different song.

• 2 months later...
you might want to delete that post becasue its a unrelesed song and we not allowed to talk about them, out of respect for mika as that song was leasked without his permission

no it's not it's on the love today single so it is released!

Sorry, got carried away and forgot the actual thread topic

I think that while Mika might have started by writing about a girl who pursued him, at the back of his mind he was thinking of himself stalking the people in the music industry, trying to force them to listen to him.

My own question-

I tend to think that SITM was writtten at some crisis point in his life, where, on the one hand he wants to be independant, but on the other hand, he still needs his family.

I actually think Mika is a very curious mixture between someone who is very tough, career wise, who knows what he wants to achieve with his work and will do anything he has to to achieve it.

But he's also very sensitive and very family oriented. He keeps his family close to him and seems to need them, so he's isn't completely independant.

I don't know Mika personally, and have only met him once, so I could be wrong, but this is my opinion, and I think SITM, sort of, verifies that.