Mikasounds Blog Suggestions: Mika Please Read

Blue Sky

Dear Mika

Your own MFC mods helped you get the comments up and running on your MIKASOUNDS blog through their amazing hacker skills. (Christine mainly:wub2:)

Now as we can see you are having a little problem with the floodgates.

So please drop in here to see what hints we can provide for your blog.

NOTE TO CHATTERERS...go somewhere else...this thread is trying to STEM the flow of nonsense, not increase it.

First hint.

Mika read here:

Fighting Comments spam (from the wordpress help page)

http://codex.wordpress.org/Working_with_WordPress#Fighting_Comment_Spam

You see, your site says you are moderating comments.

But now there are too many to truly read and approve. And we are seeing online poker spam, Come to [insert country name] spam, and all the real gems of comments from fans get lost in the crap.

So this thread is our attempt to help you. :wub2:

Please use your skilled fans. They don't mind... really.:wink2:

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A little bit of work now could spare you heartache later Mika!!

Second hint

Again from wordpress:

http://codex.wordpress.org/Comment_Moderation

You can control which comments get held for moderation on your Discussion Options page, which is located under OptionsDiscussion.

If you would like every comment to be held for moderation, check the An administrator must approve the comment (regardless of any matches below) option, listed under Before a comment appears.

If you would like to send suspicious comments to the moderation queue, while letting innocent comments through, you will need to specify a set of rules for determining which comments are suspicious. These rules are specified in on the OptionsDiscussion > Comment Moderation.

The first option is to hold comments for moderation if they contain an unusually large number of hyperlinks. Most normal comments contain at most one or two links while spam comments often have a large number.

Look at your own comments and set this to a value that makes sense for your audience. (Note: In version 1.5.2, and possibly others, if you do not put a number in the comment moderation links box, in other words, if this box is completely blank, all anonymous comments (and possibly others) are sent to the Manage Comments SubPanel for moderation, even if the Discussion Options Subpanel has no restrictions set.)

The second option is to specify a set of moderation keys which, if present in any part of the comment, will cause it to be held for moderation. These keys are specified one per line in the large text area, which is blank by default. Moderation keys can include Spam Words, swear words, IP addresses, and Regular Expressions.

When you add a new moderation key, it's a good idea to test its validity by checking previous comments. Simply use the link entitled Check past comments against moderation list, which is located underneath the text box containing moderation keys. This asks WordPress to check previous comments and tell you which ones would be flagged for moderation under your new set of keys.

The box marked Comment blacklist works in exactly the same way as the comment moderation box, except that comments that match these words will be deleted immediately and without notification. So be careful! Genuine comments could be deleted without you ever knowing they were there.

on the link blue sky provided, i found that there is a built-in anti-spam tool, that makes things easier than moderating yourself. you have to watch it too a bit, as it's learning from the comments you declare as spam or as no spam - but it's a lot less work than moderating all the comments. ... it's called akismet and can be activated in the plugins panel.

in addition, a lot of other plugins can be downloaded in the wordpress plugin directory ... like, there is another anti-spam-tool that sounds good and easy to use ... and i also wouldn't mind the feature, which enables to preview comments before sending them. :wink2:

another thing about the site, i think it'd be great to have a general link back to the first page, and maybe somewhere a text-link-list of ALL the blogs (instead of to just the first 20, like it is now), so it would be easier to read old blogs.

And FWIW I think there should be an option to go back and delete your own comments if you want to. Does wordpress allow that?

This thread is never gonna stay up on the first page, so Mika will never see how much we want to help him. :boxed:

And FWIW I think there should be an option to go back and delete your own comments if you want to. Does wordpress allow that?

This thread is never gonna stay up on the first page, so Mika will never see how much we want to help him. :boxed:

Yeah BS I agree it needs an edit/delete options if possible. My grammar always needs recifying and I don't see the mistakes straight away! lol

xxx

Yeah BS I agree it needs an edit/delete options if possible. My grammar always needs recifying and I don't see the mistakes straight away! lol

xxx

I agree too! It'd be great to get a chance to fix some spelling mistakes. :throw::naughty:

xxx

I agree too! It'd be great to get a chance to fix some spelling mistakes. :throw::naughty:

Yeah, I've seen I've made horrible spelling mistakes haha:bleh:

So? News of the meeting FD??

You mods already have a heap of work...sure you want THIS much extra work??

It's actually quite easy. It doesn't have all the accompanying brain breaking drama of MFC. :naughty:

We'll let you know when he hear more. In the meantime the comments seem to be looking a bit better. Hopefully most people are over the novelty of having a place just to grab his attention with random nonsense instead of discussing his blogs.