The Mika Songs Syndrome

Most of his song when I hear them for the first time, I don't like them, but after 2 or 3 times I absolutely love them and I have to listen to them all the time (as if I'm addicted :blush-anim-cl:)

But I try not to listen too much because then 'the magic' of the song dissappears and it doesn't sound 'fresh' anymore.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to listen to the CD everynight (and I mean every night) all the way through before I went to sleep, for about a month lol....now I just listen to it everytime I am in my car. :naughty:

I love hearing all the little details of the songs that I may have skipped over at one point or another.

I used to listen to the CD everynight (and I mean every night) all the way through before I went to sleep, for about a month lol....now I just listen to it everytime I am in my car. :naughty:

I love hearing all the little details of the songs that I may have skipped over at one point or another.

Yeah! I do that too! Take "Relax" for eg, there are so many little things you can hear lol. I love doing that: you listen to a song and you concentrate on the voice, then you listen to it a second time a concentrate on the guitar, then on the drum, etc etc.:)

that hasn't really happen to me mainly because when i first saw mika perfoming grace kelly on top of the pops i was like who is he where is he from i was mesmerised by him i did not really pay attention to the song at first, then i relise he was singing a song about one of my idols grace kelly, then i research him on youtube and listened to relax i was diffineatly taking in and ever since i have being addicted to his songs i fell in love with his music ever since.

• 10 months later...

hmmm...i really didn't like Any Other World at first...I didn't like the orchestral part that was fast because it ruined the slow sweetness of the song, but now i love it:bleh:

I still need Lonely Alcoholic to grow on me....I like the lyrics but the tune is just...hmmm....

I didn't like "Lady Jane" at first but now I'm in love with the whole story and melody :wub2:

The story is :shocked::tears::shocked: But I love it. I can imagine Lady Jane in my mind. It inspires me. But I have to admit that the first time I read the lyrics, I didn't get it all.... haha

I think there are two types of song: ones that grab you instantly (or don't), and ones that take many listens to 'get'.

Most of Mika's songs are, for me, examples of the former; instantly likeable and memorable :wub2:. The ones I have loved from the very first hearing (which is most) I still love, and never tire of; the ones I wasn't too keen on at first, I am still not too keen on. They may grow on me a bit, they may even play in my head constantly :naughty: but are never going to be my favourites.

I contrast this with the songs of my other great musical passion, Radiohead. Their songs/albums sometimes take weeks for me to 'get'. But when I do, it's like something switching on in my head and it's amazing :wub2:. I haven't ever had that experience with Mika though..yet. Never say never!

This is why I love both Mika and Radiohead..they are so different, and satisfy me musically in very different ways. Thank God music is so diverse, it'd be so boring if everything affected us in the same way wouldn't it?

I think there are two types of song: ones that grab you instantly (or don't), and ones that take many listens to 'get'.

Most of Mika's songs are, for me, examples of the former; instantly likeable and memorable :wub2:. The ones I have loved from the very first hearing (which is most) I still love, and never tire of; the ones I wasn't too keen on at first, I am still not too keen on. They may grow on me a bit, they may even play in my head constantly :naughty: but are never going to be my favourites.

I contrast this with the songs of my other great musical passion, Radiohead. Their songs/albums sometimes take weeks for me to 'get'. But when I do, it's like something switching on in my head and it's amazing :wub2:. I haven't ever had that experience with Mika though..yet. Never say never!

This is why I love both Mika and Radiohead..they are so different, and satisfy me musically in very different ways. Thank God music is so diverse, it'd be so boring if everything affected us in the same way wouldn't it?

Sure!!:thumb_yello:

The songs that I instantly loved I still really love now too! And the ones I needed time to like, well, know I still really love them!! :D

I think the Mika song I like the less is still Erase...

Sure!!:thumb_yello:

The songs that I instantly loved I still really love now too! And the ones I needed time to like, well, know I still really love them!! :D

I agree :naughty: Not his best work!!!! :teehee:

haha, interesting that i'm not the only one. :naughty: when i first heard "love today", i didn't like it, cause he sings in his falsetto voice the whole song. now this song is one of my favourites. and several other songs i didn't like that much in the beginning, for example relax, i like now because i love what mika did with them for the live version, and i can feel the energy of the live songs every time i hear the normal versions now.

there are others though that i liked right away - grace kelly, stuck in the middle, lady jane and good gone girl, for example.

and two that i'm still not too keen on, although i've listened to them very often - over my shoulder and blue eyes. maybe blue eyes will take some more time, i've not known it that long yet... but over my shoulder is just too melancholic for my taste. :bleh:

I didn't like "Lady Jane" at first but now I'm in love with the whole story and melody :wub2:

Yes the first time I heard Lady Jane I thought, I'm not sure about this one. I think it was because it is SO unusual! There isn't another song like it! So then I listened again and liked it much better. A couple of more times listening to it, and I LOVED IT. Lonely Alcoholic I didn't like at first. I like that one better now, but it is my least favourite of the four EP songs. the other three songs I love equally as much. I can't pick a favourite out of them

can't agree with that... i love it! :wub2:

but seems like i have a strange taste anyway, liking lady jane right away, when most of you didn't. :naughty:

I agree :naughty: Not his best work!!!! :teehee:

Well, he cannot ALWAYS be perfect:naughty:

haha, interesting that i'm not the only one. :naughty: when i first heard "love today", i didn't like it, cause he sings in his falsetto voice the whole song. now this song is one of my favourites. and several other songs i didn't like that much in the beginning, for example relax, i like now because i love what mika did with them for the live version, and i can feel the energy of the live songs every time i hear the normal versions now.

there are others though that i liked right away - grace kelly, stuck in the middle, lady jane and good gone girl, for example.

and two that i'm still not too keen on, although i've listened to them very often - over my shoulder and blue eyes. maybe blue eyes will take some more time, i've not known it that long yet... but over my shoulder is just too melancholic for my taste. :bleh:

Hi hi this is strange, cause I fell in love with Love Today at the very first listen ^^.

It was hard with Over My Shoulder, but now I really like it :original:

And I love Blue Eyes!!!:wub2:

can't agree with that... i love it! :wub2:

but seems like i have a strange taste anyway, liking lady jane right away, when most of you didn't. :naughty:

Well, it's not that I don't like it. I like it. But I it's the one I like the less. Hem. haha It's good to have strange tastes!! :D

I LOVED Lady Jane and Love Today from the start! Lady Jane and Toy Boy are my faves of the new ones, and Rain. I didn't really like Rain when I heard it on the Parc Des Princes Paris DVD, but I started liking it when I realised that it wasn't about rain really... :biggrin2: And started loving it when I heard a snippet of the recorded version on one of Mika's video blogs. Now, after hearing it live, I love it even more!

My Interpretation has always been a bit boring to me, as well as Erase and Your Sympathy. They are a bit Robbie Williams, and I think one Robbie is enough. I still like them though, only a bit less than the others. Mika is a rare artist, because I've never found one bad song that he has written. :wub2:

And I think that he's even better live than on record. It's the other way around for most musicians in my opinion. :biggrin2:

I LOVED Lady Jane and Love Today from the start! Lady Jane and Toy Boy are my faves of the new ones, and Rain. I didn't really like Rain when I heard it on the Parc Des Princes Paris DVD, but I started liking it when I realised that it wasn't about rain really... :biggrin2: And started loving it when I heard a snippet of the recorded version on one of Mika's video blogs. Now, after hearing it live, I love it even more!

My Interpretation has always been a bit boring to me, as well as Erase and Your Sympathy. They are a bit Robbie Williams, and I think one Robbie is enough. I still like them though, only a bit less than the others. Mika is a rare artist, because I've never found one bad song that he has written. :wub2:

And I think that he's even better live than on record. It's the other way around for most musicians in my opinion. :biggrin2:

I don't really like Your Sympathy either :teehee:

Yeah, he's so good live!! It's like another singer on the record. I like both. But live:mf_lustslow:

When I 1st heard "Erase " it made me hit myself :roftl:but the 2nd time I listened to it I fell in love with it !

"Your Sympathy" makes me go to bed not that it would be a bad thing

When I 1st heard "Erase " it made me hit myself :roftl:but the 2nd time I listened to it I fell in love with it !

"Your Sympathy" makes me go to bed not that it would be a bad thing

*Grabs iPod and listens to 'Your Sympathy'* :naughty:

When I first got the album, I didn't really like My Interpretation, Any Other World and Happy Ending. I listened them a few more times and fell in love :)

I also love Ring Ring, I hope there are a few songs like it on the new album :P

The acoustic version of "Relax" gives me goosebumps, big time. I find that version breathtaking and really touching.

Oh me too :tears: You should have seen me in Milan when he started singing it. A was a fountain. Not a human being:roftl:

A human water fountain? :naughty:

The acoustic version of "Relax" gives me goosebumps, big time. I find that version breathtaking and really touching.

A human water fountain? :naughty:

The acoustic Relax is sensational!!

Yep, a human water fountain, exactly!!!:roftl: