Julian Beever - Chalk Artist

Kelzy

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I adore his work. Mind boggling and amazing. He is extremely talented.

The first time someone sent me a chalk drawing of his (in an e-mail i think)

It took a minute to figure out exactly what was going on.

Really extraordinary stuff.

I adore his work. Mind boggling and amazing. He is extremely talented.

The first time someone sent me a chalk drawing of his (in an e-mail i think)

It took a minute to figure out exactly what was going on.

Really extraordinary stuff.

Me too. A few years ago I got one of those emails and I wouldn't believe it was a chalk drawing. I thought it was good photoshopping skills :roftl:

Me too. A few years ago I got one of those emails and I wouldn't believe it was a chalk drawing. I thought it was good photoshopping skills :roftl:

It's insane, i though photoshop first also=P

Did you also see the ones of his drawings from different angles?they look really strange and distorted!

image051.jpg

I see some faces I recognise on here, Stephan Grapelli on the violin, Larry Adler on the harmonica, Louis Arstrong on the far right on the trumpet. Is that Ella Fitzgerald and Sarah Vaughn in the centre?

It's insane, i though photoshop first also=P

Did you also see the ones of his drawings from different angles?they look really strange and distorted!

There's a couple of wrong angle pics floating around. There's one I posted of Marilyn Monroe (Or a lookalike) in the pool. The leg is about 15 foot long :roftl:

image051.jpg

I see some faces I recognise on here, Stephan Grapelli on the violin, Larry Adler on the harmonica, Louis Arstrong on the far right on the trumpet. Is that Ella Fitzgerald and Sarah Vaughn in the centre?

I think you are right :thumb_yello:

Louis Armstrong had an amazing voice.

There's a couple of wrong angle pics floating around. There's one I posted of Marilyn Monroe (Or a lookalike) in the pool. The leg is about 15 foot long :roftl:

I think you are right :thumb_yello:

Louis Armstrong had an amazing voice.

Oh yes, i see those now. I think i have a few others somewhere, if i find them i'll post them=]

Oh yes, i see those now. I think i have a few others somewhere, if i find them i'll post them=]

Great!! Thanks! I've been googling for pics obviously, but I'm starting to get to a point I think I've already posted them here. I have to keep checking!! :lol3:

There is some stuff on Youtube. slideshows, etc.

Julian Beever is working on a new piece of art this week in Rotterdam, in "de Koopgoot". It will be revealed on saturday. I'm definately going to see it!

http://www.rtvrijnmond.nl/Homepage/Nieuws?view=%2FNews%2FDefault%2F2008%2Faugustus%2FPavement%20Picasso%20toont%20kunsten%20in%20Koopgoot

http://www.nuvideo.nl/home/video/show/16691

kelzy!

thanks...you are filling my mika gap today!:naughty:

have you posted a link in mika's blog too? i'm sure he'll be 'amazed'!:wink2:

and

fancy he'll draw some mika's stage in the future...the paris one maybe:wub2:

in italy we have minor chalk painters, and we call them 'madonnari' cause they were born mainly to draw religious scenes/madonna portraits on the pavement.

Wow...

Thanks for sharing Kelzy!

And violet sky commenting that his work gets washed away by rain!:boxed:

I was thinking all this time there was something he could spray over the drawing to keep it preserved...what a shame!

Kelzy - I'm glad you posted the picture of what the drawing looks like from the opposite side of the correct perspective. It gives one an even better appreciation of how painstakingly difficult it must be. It's hard enough to draw something to look exactly as one sees it, but to have to draw to make it seem likelife from one angle requires a lot of talent.

Julian Beever is working on a new piece of art this week in Rotterdam, in "de Koopgoot". It will be revealed on saturday. I'm definately going to see it!

http://www.rtvrijnmond.nl/Homepage/Nieuws?view=%2FNews%2FDefault%2F2008%2Faugustus%2FPavement%20Picasso%20toont%20kunsten%20in%20Koopgoot

http://www.nuvideo.nl/home/video/show/16691

I'd love to see that. Have a great time! Come back and tell us everything.

These are fantastic! His work is truly amazing!

Hey! It is!

kelzy!

thanks...you are filling my mika gap today!

Robi! I'm helping you not be bored :naughty:

have you posted a link in mika's blog too? i'm sure he'll be 'amazed'!

I haven't posted a link. I've decided Mika is working his way up on what's been happening since 2006 :roftl:

and

fancy he'll draw some mika's stage in the future...the paris one maybe

Well, Julian does do murals as well. Could happen! :wink2:

in italy we have minor chalk painters, and we call them 'madonnari' cause they were born mainly to draw religious scenes/madonna portraits on the pavement.

We don't have many here that I know of, but I love that word "madonnari"

Wow...

Thanks for sharing Kelzy!

And violet sky commenting that his work gets washed away by rain!:boxed:

I was thinking all this time there was something he could spray over the drawing to keep it preserved...what a shame!

Kelzy - I'm glad you posted the picture of what the drawing looks like from the opposite side of the correct perspective. It gives one an even better appreciation of how painstakingly difficult it must be. It's hard enough to draw something to look exactly as one sees it, but to have to draw to make it seem likelife from one angle requires a lot of talent.

Suzy!!! :wub2:

I didn't realise how much effort he puts into it until I saw the opposite view as well. Really clever man. :punk:

Kelzy! You're my buddy.

hugging_kittens.jpg

That's so cute! :wub2: I'm the black cat.

I know, because I have a pic of you I took later that day:naughty:

funny-pictures-happy-drunk-orange-c.jpg

We had fun that day.. :wub2:

Ah!! Why didn't I come in here earlier!

I saw this on the newspaper a few days ago, but forgot his name.

Thank you so much for this thread. :flowers2:

I love everything about this mans work!:wub2:

Hey! No Probs.

What was written in the paper about him?

(more JB pictures coming in a sec.... )

I'm pretty sure I haven't posted any of these ones.

image063.jpg

And here is the same drawing from the wrong angle: image060.jpg

image059.jpg

I have posted a photo of this one on the first page, but here's the finished product:

image058.jpg

image062.jpg

Julian at work. It's nice to see the area is blocked off and sheltered from rain.

julianatwork.jpg

I promised to tell about the drawing from Rotterdam.

*jumps up and down with excitement, never been to a gig and now writing a report on MFC* :bleh:

I went to see it today. At first I was a bit disappointed, because a sort of tent was still covering the drawing. The colours in the drawing are rather dark and therefore I couldn't see it in full lighting. But of course very reasonable, because of the rapidly changing weather conditions this week.

Looking at it from different places it's nothing but a flat drawing, but when you're on the right spot it sure is a 3-dimensional view.

julianbeever03.jpg

julianbeever01.jpg

julianbeever02.jpg

The drawing apparantly is sponsored by a large Dutch insurance company. Their tv-commercials are always showing a situation in which things go wrong and they all end with the slogan "Even Apeldoorn bellen" (call Apeldoorn = a city).

If you're interested, you can see one of their commercials here (most of them are pretty funny)

http://www.centraalbeheer.nl/cbi/cb/corporate/fun/commercial.jsp?commercial=cipier&bw=dsl&stopAtEnd=true&linkAtEnd=/cbi/cb/acties/cipier/cipiergame.jsp&linkTarget=_self

I promised to tell about the drawing from Rotterdam.

*jumps up and down with excitement, never been to a gig and now writing a report on MFC* :bleh:

:roftl: Congratulations on your first report!

I went to see it today. At first I was a bit disappointed, because a sort of tent was still covering the drawing. The colours in the drawing are rather dark and therefore I couldn't see it in full lighting. But of course very reasonable, because of the rapidly changing weather conditions this week.

Looking at it from different places it's nothing but a flat drawing, but when you're on the right spot it sure is a 3-dimensional view.

julianbeever03.jpg

julianbeever01.jpg

julianbeever02.jpg

OMG! That's so cool! Thank you for taking photos!

It looks like it was pretty big too.

Was Julian still there?

The drawing apparantly is sponsored by a large Dutch insurance company. Their tv-commercials are always showing a situation in which things go wrong and they all end with the slogan "Even Apeldoorn bellen" (call Apeldoorn = a city).

If you're interested, you can see one of their commercials here (most of them are pretty funny)

http://www.centraalbeheer.nl/cbi/cb/corporate/fun/commercial.jsp?commercial=cipier&bw=dsl&stopAtEnd=true&linkAtEnd=/cbi/cb/acties/cipier/cipiergame.jsp&linkTarget=_self

That Ad :roftl: Love it!!

:roftl: Congratulations on your first report!

OMG! That's so cool! Thank you for taking photos!

It looks like it was pretty big too.

Was Julian still there?

That Ad :roftl: Love it!!

I'm bad at guessing measurements, but I guess it is about 8 metres long.

And no, Julian wasn't there anymore. They had a photograph of him with the drawing though, and his chalks were still there :naughty:

I'm bad at guessing measurements, but I guess it is about 8 metres long.

And no, Julian wasn't there anymore. They had a photograph of him with the drawing though, and his chalks were still there :naughty:

I saw his chalks in the photo.. I'd be tempted to steal them as a memento :naughty:

I saw this on tv today and was like "WTF THAT'S ROTTERDAM!!"

I want to go there!

Well, why don't you go there???!!!!! :roftl: I would!

I saw this on tv today and was like "WTF THAT'S ROTTERDAM!!"

I want to go there!

I saw his chalks in the photo.. I'd be tempted to steal them as a memento :naughty:

I was thinking the same thing. Too bad there was a big security guy at 3 metres. :naughty: