I am using this app. My French is not beginner's so you might struggle a bit but I tried the Dutch and managed even though I didn't know a word before. You'd just need to look up some of the grammar rules to try to make sense of some of the differences you see from one example to the next. Just the whole concept of masculine and feminine is totally bizarre for us. :aah:https://www.duolingo.com

Just so you know you will probably not have to deal with anyone who doesn't speak English or even tell them that you don't speak French. Everyone in the service industry seems to be bilingual and will usually greet you with "bonjour, hello" so if you respond in English they will speak English.

Ah, thank you. I'll check it out.

Thanks for the info. I'll still probably try & learn some of the basics. I'm sure Mika will speak some French during the gig & I don't want to have to ask my seat neighbors all the time what he means. Also with my luck I'll get the one person who speaks absolutely no english whatsoever. :aah:

Edited by kreacher

Ah, thank you. I'll check it out.

Thanks for the info. I'll still probably try & learn some of the basics. I'm sure Mika will speak some French during the gig & I don't want to have to ask my seat neighbors all the time what he means. Also with my luck I'll get the one person who speaks absolutely no english whatsoever. :aah:

I've been working on French on and off for about 30 years and I can still only understand about half of what he says so good luck. :aah:

I was also looking for a thread like this and couldn't find, so thank you for bumping it! :thumb_yello:

I've wanted to learn French for a long time now so I will definately (try :teehee:) to use this thread if i can :D would love to be able to speak and understand some if I'm going to Montreal!

I am using this app. My French is not beginner's so you might struggle a bit but I tried the Dutch and managed even though I didn't know a word before. You'd just need to look up some of the grammar rules to try to make sense of some of the differences you see from one example to the next. Just the whole concept of masculine and feminine is totally bizarre for us. :aah:https://www.duolingo.com

Just so you know you will probably not have to deal with anyone who doesn't speak English or even tell them that you don't speak French. Everyone in the service industry seems to be bilingual and will usually greet you with "bonjour, hello" so if you respond in English they will speak English.

i tried duolingo, i like it. thank you :thumb_yello: it doesn't work on my tablet, but on the comp it's working great. i already learned how to say "Je suis rouge" and "Je suis un enfant", those will definitely come in handy!

I've been working on French on and off for about 30 years and I can still only understand about half of what he says so good luck. :aah:

oh there's no hope for me then :teehee:

general question: i can't roll my "R"s at all, is that a big problem? I guess what i need to know is, for example, does "trrrres" mean 'very' but "tres" mean something totally offensive? :aah:

Edited by kreacher

Are they many differences between France French and Quebec French?

Thanks for any insights anyone can offer :thumb_yello:

Are they many differences between France French and Quebec French?

Thanks for any insights anyone can offer :thumb_yello:

Not necessarily. French people understand Quebec people, but, in Quebec, there are some expressions that French people don't says. :wink2:

I lived this experience with a Quebecker ^^

Not necessarily. French people understand Quebec people, but, in Quebec, there are some expressions that French people don't says. :wink2:

I lived this experience with a Quebecker ^^

merci!

i'm most worried about others understanding me with my horrible pronunciation :teehee:

So Emelyne412 what are we going to do first??? :mikadas: :mikadas:

On the theme what you want !

It's not a problem for me:wink2:

Mmm first, i would like to learn the daily phrases that you use every day! :blush-anim-cl:

Ok ! I give some examples

To start a discussion, everybody says : "Bonjour, comment vas-tu" -> "How are you ?" This is the basical sentence :wink2:

To say that we are well or not, we says : "Je vais bien, merci." or "Non, je ne vais pas bien" -> "I'm well", "No, i'm not well"

French people are characteristic to be always angry on all and for nothing (we have a bad image about others countries :naughty: )

The sentence who most explain this characteristic is : "Quel mauvais temps !" -> "What bad weather !" We says always this :aah:

I've not others examples for the moment ^^

Edited by Emelyne412

Ok ! I give some examples

To start a discussion, everybody says : "Bonjour, comment vas-tu" -> "How are you ?" This is the basical sentence :wink2:

To say that we are well or not, we says : "Je vais bien, merci." or "Non, je ne vais pas bien" -> "I'm well", "No, i'm not well"

French people are characteristic to be always angry on all and for nothing (we have a bad image about others countries :naughty: )

The sentence who most explain this characteristic is : "Quel mauvais temps !" -> "What bad weather !" We says always this :aah:

I've not others examples for the moment ^^

Mmm interesting!!! :wub2: To ask someone if he is well in which cases can we say instead of Comment vas-tu? , Ça va? ( our teacher said that we can say this only To our friends and not to a stranger. Is that true? Do you use it to talk To strangers?) :mikasweat:

Edited by OlgaMikafreak

Mmm interesting!!! :wub2: To ask someone if he is well in which cases can we say instead of Comment vas-tu? , Ça va? ( our teacher said that we can say this only To our friends and not to a stranger. Is that true? Do you use it to talk To strangers?) :mikasweat:

Your teacher are right. For a stranger, it's better to say sentences less personal, it is necessary to make sentences before begin one conversation in the worst case :wink2:

Your teacher are right. For a stranger, it's better to say sentences less personal, it is necessary to make sentences before begin one conversation in the worst case :wink2:

OK!!! :naughty: Any other useful phrases?:mikadas:

OK!!! :naughty: Any other useful phrases?:mikadas:

Maybe for describe someone... It can be useful ^^

"Comment vous vous appelez ?" -> "What's your name ?"

"Où habitez-vous ?" -> "Where do you live ?"

"Que faites-vous dans la vie ?" -> "What is your job in your life ?"

"Quelles sont vos passions ?" "What are your hobbies/passsions ?"

This is the more current sentences :wink2:

Maybe for describe someone... It can be useful ^^

"Comment vous vous appelez ?" -> "What's your name ?"

"Où habitez-vous ?" -> "Where do you live ?"

"Que faites-vous dans la vie ?" -> "What is your job in your life ?"

"Quelles sont vos passions ?" "What are your hobbies/passsions ?"

This is the more current sentences :wink2:

OK tnx ????

I'm having trouble knowing whether to use "que" or "qu'est-ce que" when asking a question.

For example, the online french learning lessons i'm taking just asked how to say "What would you like to drink?" so i replied "Que désirez-vous boire?" which it said was correct. Then it asked me how to say "What would you like to eat?" and i said "Que désirez-vous manger?" but it said the answer is "Qu'est-ce que vous désirez manger?"

The 2 English questions are the nearly the same, so why aren't they nearly the same in french? GAAAH WHYYY? Either "que" or "qu'est-ce que" would be correct, yes? Please, please can someone explain if there's some subtle difference I'm missing that makes one more correct than the other or something?

I'm having trouble knowing whether to use "que" or "qu'est-ce que" when asking a question.

For example, the online french learning lessons i'm taking just asked how to say "What would you like to drink?" so i replied "Que désirez-vous boire?" which it said was correct. Then it asked me how to say "What would you like to eat?" and i said "Que désirez-vous manger?" but it said the answer is "Qu'est-ce que vous désirez manger?"

The 2 English questions are the nearly the same, so why aren't they nearly the same in french? GAAAH WHYYY? Either "que" or "qu'est-ce que" would be correct, yes? Please, please can someone explain if there's some subtle difference I'm missing that makes one more correct than the other or something?

"Que" and "Qu'est-ce que" say same think, but, "qu'est-ce-que" is employed more rarely. "Que" is the fastest expression :thumb_yello: