Emerald

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It is!

Nanou explained it well.

For those interested, there are some books like Quebec French for dummies:thumb_yello:

OMG!! such a thing exhists?

I must purchase quickly!!! lmaooo

Merci pour l'information!

How does Mika speak French, especially at gigs? I mean, does he speak like we're his friends or is he formal?

And what about on signs & packages & stuff? i'm so worried i'll accidentally buy something terrible thinking it's something else... like a cookie with raisins in it :puke:

LMAOOOO! your idea of terrible is hilarious.

Yeah as Cathou said, most stuff is bilingual. Its the same anywhere in canada because we are a bilingual country, if I were stuck only able to shop in french I would probably be fine, reading french is much easier when you've grown up with it your whole life, lmao.

• 2 weeks later...

gracias.gif

:aah: this is totally me! i keep accidentally throwing random spanish into my french.

Most food labels are bilingual:wink2: at restaurants, you can either get an English menu or it's bilingual.

Mika's not very formal when he speaks at gigs...

OMG!! such a thing exhists?

I must purchase quickly!!! lmaooo

LMAOOOO! your idea of terrible is hilarious.

Yeah as Cathou said, most stuff is bilingual. Its the same anywhere in canada because we are a bilingual country, if I were stuck only able to shop in french I would probably be fine, reading french is much easier when you've grown up with it your whole life, lmao.

Thanks for all the explanations :thumb_yello: You've helped ease my worries.

Raisin cookies are reason i don't trust people :sneaky2:

I've killed the thread T_T no one wishes to learn french any longer T_T

I'm still hard at work on my lessons, et toi? I'm usuing this site i can access with my library card called "Mango languages" & i'm just un peu over half way through the Français unit.

I've been having a bit of trouble with understanding some of the pronunciations tho. The french guy-speaker sometimes runs together words that i don't think should be run together. For example "Ici c'est le salon" says it should be pronounced like "Eesee say leuh salo(n)" but he's saying it more like "Eesee sayl salon". I've noticed him doing this a few other times too, while the lady french-speaker does not. Is it some kind of regional accent difference or what?

Also, forming questions using question words is hard!

Edited by kreacher

Yeah you've surpassed my capacity of french lmaoooo. I would say it is probably just his accent lmaooo. Just like lots of places in the world Quebec has its differences by region. Cathou would probably be able to help you here >.> I fear she may have forgotten us <.<. I would say pronounce it as you feel confortable and most french speaking people will understand the basic's of what you are saying. Also remember that there is a big difference between Quebec french and France french >.> so for all you know you could be saying it all perfectly >.> lmaoooo.

I've been having a bit of trouble with understanding some of the pronunciations tho. The french guy-speaker sometimes runs together words that i don't think should be run together. For example "Ici c'est le salon" says it should be pronounced like "Eesee say leuh salo(n)" but he's saying it more like "Eesee sayl salon". I've noticed him doing this a few other times too, while the lady french-speaker does not. Is it some kind of regional accent difference or what?

I think maybe it's just the quick speech of native speakers where that happens. Like je ne sais pas becomes je'n sais pas. You drop a syllable with "ne" and it just becomes an extra consonant at the end of "je".

I guess you could compare it to English where we would say "I dunno" instead of "I don't know".

In any case if you stick with enunciating it in full like the lady in your tapes you'll have no problems being understood.

Also, forming questions using question words is hard!

Yeah I am useless at that. Or forming sentences at all really. :naughty:

I think maybe it's just the quick speech of native speakers where that happens. Like je ne sais pas becomes je'n sais pas. You drop a syllable with "ne" and it just becomes an extra consonant at the end of "je".

I guess you could compare it to English where we would say "I dunno" instead of "I don't know".

In any case if you stick with enunciating it in full like the lady in your tapes you'll have no problems being understood.

Yes I confirm what Christine says, it's just that when speaking casually we are missing a lot of sounds that should be pronounced when you're speaking formally. It's even worse than the example given because 'Je ne sais pas' is usually transformed into some kind of 'jsais pas' :blush-anim-cl:

So I agree that if you learn it in full (which is the correct formal way), you are sure to be understood. Informality comes with time in the native speaking countries :wink2:

BTW, I'd be happy to help anybody who's having any other question about all this.

Hello bonjour!!

How are you? So, I had a request from Monie, about creating a thread to teach French:wink2:

If some of you have questions, want to learn French or improve their French, Emilie's here for you!!:naughty:

Who wants to be in my class? :bleh:

French class:

Teachers:punk::

#1 Emerald

#19 cath85

#21 Miss_lollipop54

#24 Niki27

#27 BICHE

#29 Fricadelle

#30 englishrose

#31 FOUCHONNERET

Students:

#2 Monie

#3 Naughty Girl

#4 England

#5 musicfreak

#6 Ana1202

#7 neeve272

#8 Fmbm

#9 Wendi

#10 LA fashionista

#11 phunkygal

#12 sky

#13 Paulinalovemika

#14 Roxy♥Mika♥

#15 mika-fan1001

#16 Soaring Simpson

#17 Shaza!

#18 rauschendes_bächlein

#20 themetalmunchkin

#22 rabdash

#23 Ruth

#25 GraceKelly96

#26 Romis

#28 Nohism

#32 freestyle

#33 xBillyBrownx

#34 alexandra94

#35 mikaluvr316

Hi there, I just found this thread, I'd love to be in your class if it's still active :) I am a total beginner though I know a few words: Merci, oui, non, tres bien, bonjour, Je m'appelle Kat, froid,...I can't think of anymore but there might be a couple more bouncing around in my brain somewhere.

Yeah you've surpassed my capacity of french lmaoooo. I would say it is probably just his accent lmaooo. Just like lots of places in the world Quebec has its differences by region. Cathou would probably be able to help you here >.> I fear she may have forgotten us <.<. I would say pronounce it as you feel confortable and most french speaking people will understand the basic's of what you are saying. Also remember that there is a big difference between Quebec french and France french >.> so for all you know you could be saying it all perfectly >.> lmaoooo.

xD perfectly? i doubt that :teehee:

Yeah I am useless at that. Or forming sentences at all really. :naughty:

Yes I confirm what Christine says, it's just that when speaking casually we are missing a lot of sounds that should be pronounced when you're speaking formally. It's even worse than the example given because 'Je ne sais pas' is usually transformed into some kind of 'jsais pas' :blush-anim-cl:

So I agree that if you learn it in full (which is the correct formal way), you are sure to be understood. Informality comes with time in the native speaking countries :wink2:

BTW, I'd be happy to help anybody who's having any other question about all this.

Thanks for the info Christine & Camille!

I'm worried about understanding others. "Please speak more slowly" and "Please repeat that" were 2 of the first phrases i taught myself

Hi there, I just found this thread, I'd love to be in your class if it's still active :) I am a total beginner though I know a few words: Merci, oui, non, tres bien, bonjour, Je m'appelle Kat, froid,...I can't think of anymore but there might be a couple more bouncing around in my brain somewhere.

I don't think she's around mfc anymore, but others have taken over answering questions thankfully

Edited by kreacher

Bienvenue! Je m'apelle Sandy, comment ca va?

(EHHHHH this is about as good as I get but I figure the more we use it in general speak the easier it will be to remember >.>)

see.....I bet all my french teachers were doing that...they never sounded like they were saying what I was saying >.>

OH!! HELP IS AWESOME!! I HAVE A QUESTION MADAM!!!

When I was in school I was taught

"Comment t'appelles tu?" but when I look it up online it says "Comment tu t'appelles?" have I been wrong my whole life? T_T

"Comment t'appelles tu?" but when I look it up online it says "Comment tu t'appelles?" have I been wrong my whole life? T_T

Once again it's a question of formal vs informal. What you learn in school is generally not what is spoken in the streets or houses in France. Sorry to announce it to you so abruptly :blush-anim-cl:

Both versions would be understood and correct though.

LMAOOO!!! thats ok abrupt can sometimes be good >.< I will stick to the way I learned it lmaoooooo just sounds wrong any other way lmaoooo. Oh yes you live in France O_O so cooooollllll...I live in Canada so im pretty sure our teachers told us that we would learn Quebec French because we would be more likely to use that >.>.

What are some common phrases you think are handy to know?

Bienvenue! Je m'apelle Sandy, comment ca va?

(EHHHHH this is about as good as I get but I figure the more we use it in general speak the easier it will be to remember >.>)

Bonjour je m'apelle Katherine :) or Kat. Je ne parles pas francais tres bien (and writing is even worse) I wish we had a skype type of conversation class a couple times a week, that would be awesome!

Anyone interested in leading a group skype session? just for us to try to use the bits of french we have or have learned in general conversation.

Anyone? :) pretty please?

• 3 weeks later...
Bonjour je m'apelle Katherine :) or Kat. Je ne parles pas francais tres bien (and writing is even worse) I wish we had a skype type of conversation class a couple times a week, that would be awesome!

Anyone interested in leading a group skype session? just for us to try to use the bits of french we have or have learned in general conversation.

Anyone? :) pretty please?

Sorry I havnt gotten back to you till now I think that would be pretty fun but seeing as neither of us are native singers it would probably be the blind leading the blind hmmmmm I wonder if anyone else would be up for it T_T.

• 4 weeks later...
We would say "M'enverrez-vous des cartes postales si vous avez le temps?" futur simple+si+présent de l'indicatif which is less formal OR "Si vous aviez le temps, m'enverriez-vous des cartes postales?" Si+imparfait+conditionnel présent. The last one seems to fit your exercice.

To sum up, to express a hypothesis or the conditional, we can use:

*Si+ présent + futur.

* si + imparfait + conditionnel présent.

*Si + plus-que -parfait + conditionnel passé .

Thks for you explication.

http://www.french-linguistics.co.uk/grammar/le_or_la_in_french.shtml and me too .

• 2 months later...