Demos circulating on the Internet

Marie-Thérèse, courtesy of Marie-Andrée

Dear MFC members,

We definitely do not want to irritate Mika... but I am not sure they should be more than mildly annoying as on stage and even in studio he transcend each song to such an extent that they have little to do with the bootleg recordings we may have heard on the Internet.

Have you noticed how, in the same way, he appropriates the songs he borrows from other artists so that after listening to his rendering of them one tends to forget who wrote and performed them in the first place ? Flattering as it may be to see a talented singer use your material that must be aggravating !

I very much enjoyed "Just can't get enough" during the summer tour and wanted to watch Depeche Mode perform it... disappointing.

I found Eurythmics version of Sweet dreams absolutely brilliant... now, it sounds banal.

I suppose it is all right for bands who still enjoy some fame but imagine that one day he sings on stage a song written by a shooting star, a one-song-man or -woman, they're bound to feel murderous... come to think of it, he might well consider having more than one bodyguard to protect him !

As for me, I confess I am unable to regret having found and downloaded on the Internet, a few months back, "Tell me once again", even though I have lost the lyrics (when Mika sings, whether in English or in French,I find it difficult to catch every word). Sorry, Mr Penniman, we fans are impossible, but would you, in the same circumstances, have resisted 'stealing' a new song by... Harry Nilsson, for instance ? Tough.

So long,

M.-Th.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a little confused.

The songs he covers are 80s songs, and to my knowlege he doesn't sing any recent songs by new artists on stage.

He has done covers like that on Jo Whileys Live Lounge, but all the artists she has on do. And some of them are as good as the original.

Case in point, the other day, the drum and bass group Pendulum were on and they did a fantastic version of Coldplays, Violet Hill.

But it didn't diminish the original version, it kind of enhanced it.

But Mika isn't going to build his career on using covers at shows. He only sang the ones he picked, to pad the show out, as he didn't have enough material.

I think he doesn't want to push Rain and HMDYLM too much yet, as they'll be in the full set for the next album, and it's kind of fun to have a sing along with him, of songs from his childhood, that a lot of us remember.

I can't say I have heard him sing a song on stage by a new artist, and I can't see him starting as he has his own material he can use.

I'm very confused.

You're upset about Mika doing cover versions of songs because you think it will make people forget about the original artists?

I disagree with you on that, in fact, I think him covering songs of bands from the 80s will make people (re)discover these bands.

Young people who may not have heard of the Eurythmics or Harry Nilsson will check them out now because they heard Mika doing one of their songs.

I'm very confused.

You're upset about Mika doing cover versions of songs because you think it will make people forget about the original artists?

I disagree with you on that, in fact, I think him covering songs of bands from the 80s will make people (re)discover these bands.

Young people who may not have heard of the Eurythmics or Harry Nilsson will check them out now because they heard Mika doing one of their songs.

I didn't really think that MA was being serious when she said that she was upset, or that it wasn't good that he does that (I took it like a bit of irony) but I totally agree with your post.

Sure, me being an 80's teenager I knew and liked Depeche Mode, Eurythmics, etc, but I'm sure that his covers have made many discover great artists, and that can only be a good thing:thumb_yello:.

TELL ME ONCE AGAIN has never been covered by MIKA it's a song by Daniel Powter and the "New Mika song" label on youtube was just a big SHAM

I wonder how many times I will have to say this :naughty:

Many:roftl:

TELL ME ONCE AGAIN has never been covered by MIKA it's a song by Daniel Powter and the "New Mika song" label on youtube was just a big SHAM

I wonder how many times I will have to say this :naughty:

About as many times as I say, "He doesn't take me seriously":floor::floor::floor:

Thanks God we're both very patient then :roftl::roftl:

ABSOLUTELY!:wink2:

I'm not entirely sure what M-T is worried about exactly, it sounds like she is saying Mika is covering songs by new artists, as well as the 80s ones. But I can't say I've heard him do any:blink:.

ABSOLUTELY!:wink2:

I'm not entirely sure what M-T is worried about exactly, it sounds like she is saying Mika is covering songs by new artists, as well as the 80s ones. But I can't say I've heard him do any:blink:.

Well The View are a recent band, aren't they?

Anyway, I don't really see the point. I think he needs the agreement of the artists before using their material, doesnt he?

Besides, I entirely disagree about Depeche Mode's and Eurythmics' originals being less good than Mika's covers. They're different, period.

I'm very confused.

I wasn't 'upset' and of course I don't one moment believe that Mika is in any bodily danger (got to recognize humour when you meet it and, why not, practice it a bit, sweetheart !)... but I have always been struck by Mika's complete artistic appropriation of other songwriters cum singers material. If it helps younger music lovers discover artists, good for them, but after comparing those artists' and Mika's rendering of the songs I don't think they will feel like buying the formers' albums.

Talking about official recordings I totally agree with Akim in thinking that listening to demos don't stop us from buying them, on the contrary it makes us want to hear the songs again in a different version and buy the CD when it is released.

Needless to say I wouldn't dream of not following Mika's request (he is one scary genius... kidding, he is a lovely person) so that I am not going to share Tell me once again with you all.

I can't help thinking, though, that you can't have caviare on both sides of your toast (very messy, black stains all over your clothes...) : you can't love some big record companies in the back and sign juicy contracts with others who, thanks to the Internet, have realized that you have got the Midas touch and want to get some gold too and, on the other hand, complain about the Web drawbacks, like the circulation of unreleased songs (and incidentally they don't go there on their sweet little feet so there must be some leakage from people in the companies). I am personally hugely grateful to the Internet for helping Mika be known and recognized by millions of people, thus allowing him to make the record he wanted to make with complete artistic freedom... I think that is priceless and worth putting up with other annoying aspects of the Web.

That was a long thread but I feel strongly about what I have just written.

Your comments would be most welcome.

Well firsly why do we have to be sarcastic to people :boxed:

Im unsure to be honest , he hasnt go that much material so he need to do something to pad his live gigs , I dont really like it of I had to go in any direction , I think he has enough talent to do all of his own material.

As for demos well they are out there and he has requested we dont chat about them , so its respected

Covering a song does bring a whole new generation into an artist or band so isnt always a bad thing , its also very common to do so.

Needless to say I wouldn't dream of not following Mika's request (he is one scary genius... kidding, he is a lovely person) so that I am not going to share Tell me once again with you all.

And allow me to say once again, as Niki already did earlier

in this thread, that Tell Me Once Again is NOT

MIKA -- it's a Daniel Powter song called "Lie to Me".

Whoever posted it on youtube saying

it was Mika was trying to fool you. The video for the song is on Daniel

Powter's official site:

http://www.danielpowter.com/

dcdeb

I don't think it does any harm at all to cover songs. He only seems to use songs which are years old anyway, and any publicity for a song is good for the person who wrote it. The only problem for other artists is, they could not cover MIKA. I doubt their vocal cords could handle it if they tried to sing GK or LT

he isn't the only person on earth that does covers.

Like whatsthatbandcalled that did a cover of that michael jackson song

or american idolists, should they be scrutinized?

It's not just mika, and he isn't stealing them, they are obviosuly copyrighted, and he's giving the distributors of the song their proper kudos before performing them.

Powter's official site:

dcdeb

:roftl::roftl: thank you deb

Powter's official site:

dcdeb

Marie-Thérèse, courtesy of Marie-Andrée

I had obviously missed Niki's thread. The magic of the Internet has operated again : I had never heard this singer before and the song is really good (melody, arrangement & voice).

Thanks a load for the information.

Mika4Life13, I was not , in any way, criticizing Mika for singing other artists' songs. I don't remember using the word "stealing" ? To me, Mika's appropriation of the songs he uses on stage is purely artistic, how could it be different, no one can suspect him of singing a song in front of an audience of ... 50 000 people, for instance, and not giving the writers their due ! We have to use a common language to communicate and English is the obvious choice, I am sorry if you meet difficulties in understanding what is written in the various threads.

Marilyn Mastin, you are right, I was referring to Mika's talent and personality, not his vocal range, but that would make it difficult for other artists to return the compliment !

So long,

M.-Th.

Well firsly why do we have to be sarcastic to people :boxed:

Im unsure to be honest , he hasnt go that much material so he need to do something to pad his live gigs , I dont really like it of I had to go in any direction , I think he has enough talent to do all of his own material.

As for demos well they are out there and he has requested we dont chat about them , so its respected

Covering a song does bring a whole new generation into an artist or band so isnt always a bad thing , its also very common to do so.

I can't believe that Mika is in such dire need of songs to put on stage. He must have hundreds of them in his drawers : one of the songs that circulate on the Internet, Instant martyr, was, according to him, written when he was 7 or 8 and he often says that he never stops writing.

I rather believe that using other artists' stuff is a kind of tribute to them and that, being a music lover, he likes to bow to other songwriters' talent by covering their songs. It is rather sweet and healthily unselfconscious of him.

So long,

M.-Th.

I'll just say something... do not take it bad but once again Mika asked these demos would not be leaked on the forum. You cannot say you respect his desire whilst posting the titles of these songs and where to find them... :fisch:

I'll just say something... do not take it bad but once again Mika asked these demos would not be leaked on the forum. You cannot say you respect his desire whilst posting the titles of these songs and where to find them... :fisch:

Good one:naughty:

Trying to assert that Mika shouldn't be angry about his demos being released because he does covers of other artist's songs is like saying that I shouldn't be mad when my brother reads my private diary because I also have a public blog.

Covering a song that has already been released is something that happens publicly. The song is already known to at least part of the public. The song is being performed in public. My public blog is full of thoughts I am happy to share with the public because I have crafted my words with that end in mind.

A demo is a private thing (shared with a select team if shared at all.) It's like a manuscript of a book or a roughdraft of a poem, a painting that isn't finished. It's a work in progress that isn't ready for public release. Lyrics may need to be re-worked. Melody may need to be refined. It may never be released to the public because it's something private.

Mika has every right to be angry that something that was being worked on privately got released to the public before it was finished. Even before I knew that he asked the fan club not to discuss the demoes, I avoided listening to them when I stumbled upon them because listening to them would have felt like going through his underwear drawer or reading his diary.

To put it another way, it's a privilege when an artist invites someone into a workshop to see how that artist works. It's a violation of the artist's privacy when someone breaks into a workshop to see what the artist is working on. Once the artist has released a work to the public, it is pretty much fair game for tributes, covers, satire, parody, criticism, and praise. The person who gets to decide if and when a thing is released publicly is the person who created it. It's a violation when someone else takes something created by someone else without permission and releases it to the public.

Just because Mika does covers of songs that have already been released to the public does mean that he has forfeited his right to work on his songs in private.

Very well put RT, couldn't have said it better myself.

Well The View are a recent band, aren't they?

Anyway, I don't really see the point. I think he needs the agreement of the artists before using their material, doesnt he?

Besides, I entirely disagree about Depeche Mode's and Eurythmics' originals being less good than Mika's covers. They're different, period.

It is your constitutional right to disagree with other people's opinion and I entirely respect yours. So much so that I watched again these artists videos of the two songs... still not there.

The middle of the Paris / Werchter / Amsterdam axis... what a golden spot !

Were your at Werchter ? It was the second gig I went to, after London, the last concert of the winter tour, which was excellent, and before the Parc des Princes, then Beirut.

That night the band were completely insane, in a friendly and lovely way. True to say, Belgian audiences are awsome. I have often wondered since if the musicians were not a little high on stage fright just before the Parc des Princes huge challenge ? Whatever the reason I'll always feel privileged to have been there...

So long,

M.-Th.

Hi guys,

apologies in advance if this is deemed silly or trivial but all i can think of when reading this thread is of

Weird Al Yankovich's take on Michael Jackson's 'Beat It'............ 'Eat it'.

Please listen/watch this version for a little diversion, it really makes me crease up!:roftl:

Look out for the line .......................

'Have some more spam, it doesn't matter if it's fresh or canned'............

classic line really ................

Just in case you are not familiar with the original ...... it's here!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uqxo1SKB0z8

Thanks!

and BTW i love Mika's versions of nearly everything including his fab version of Jackson 5 on LICM :wink2:

He has a good knack for choosing fab songs to cover.

Depeche Mode is a master stroke!