Starting College: Any future 2012 grads?

Hi everyone!

I went to my college orientation today, and I'm super excited. :punk:

The only bad thing I found was that some of the basic courses I couldn't take yet, because they were full: math is an example...haha which I don't mind!

I'm actually not taking a writing and rhetoric class because I tested out of it, and I had taken AP courses in english for a while. I definatley recommend taking AP courses!

So, this is my course list:mf_lustslow:

Western Humanities (pop culture)

Intro to Journalism

Intro to Fiction Writing

Clothing and society

2 of those are night classes, which kinda sucks.

I know there are a few people on here gearing up for college or even if you're just entering a new semester what's your schedule like?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm in university via correspondence, so that I can work full time and still get my BA in Communication Studies. It's a light course load, so it'll probably be 2012 or so before I graduate. :punk:

I haven't finalized my fall courses yet, but it looks like they will be:

Introductory Composition (essay writing, snoooze)

Communication in History (could be interesting)

Being Online (this one should be good - all about human interaction online, in *cough* forums and such)

Melanie, when do your classes start? Orientation in early August, they must really be on the ball! :shocked:

Oh and you know where to find my if you have any questions about your Intro to Journalism course. I took journalism as my first foray into post-secondary studies. :thumb_yello:

Hello!!

Attending University of Wisconsin Eau Claire for Nursing in the fall! Really competative so hopefully I will graduate in 2012!

I will be in:

Basic prep for chemistry

Introduction to College Writing

Drama

Intermediate Algebra

Wellness: Food for Fitness

Body, Mind, Spirit Wellness

yep. last two are required for Nursing and are supposed to be taken next semester, but they have a really strict course list for medical...and I have already taken two of the required college classes (in highschool) but even so I still have a pretty full schedual.

I'm in university via correspondence, so that I can work full time and still get my BA in Communication Studies. It's a light course load, so it'll probably be 2012 or so before I graduate. :punk:

I haven't finalized my fall courses yet, but it looks like they will be:

Introductory Composition (essay writing, snoooze)

Communication in History (could be interesting)

Being Online (this one should be good - all about human interaction online, in *cough* forums and such)

Melanie, when do your classes start? Orientation in early August, they must really be on the ball! :shocked:

Oh and you know where to find my if you have any questions about your Intro to Journalism course. I took journalism as my first foray into post-secondary studies. :thumb_yello:

Oh for sure! They were like, " So you're interested in magazine writing huh?"

I was like, " Yeah..."

Little do they know what I already have under my belt in the publications area lol

This just in: I SWITCHED ITALIAN FOR WESTERN HUMANITIES...LIKE POP CULTURE STUFF (good for mag. writing)

I wanted to take a language though :(

Oh and this is my school! I love it, it's one of the best liberal art schools in the country. We rank #1 in a few areas, especially writing. And the fiction writing department is award winning and named the best in the country before:punk:

http://www.colum.edu/Student_Life/index.php

Hello!!

Attending University of Wisconsin Eau Claire for Nursing in the fall! Really competative so hopefully I will graduate in 2012!

I will be in:

Basic prep for chemistry

Introduction to College Writing

Drama

Intermediate Algebra

Wellness: Food for Fitness

Body, Mind, Spirit Wellness

yep. last two are required for Nursing and are supposed to be taken next semester, but they have a really strict course list for medical...and I have already taken two of the required college classes (in highschool) but even so I still have a pretty full schedual.

Oh that's exciting! The wellness one intrigues me, though I could never be a nurse. I'm horrible at math! But if I really wanted to, I guess I'd have to get over it. Thank God I never had a longing to become an astronaut or anything. For me its always been the liberal arts.:wub2:

Cool! So when you're done, what sort of credential do you get? Is it a Bachelor of Science? Also, where I live there are two categories of nurse - Registered Nurse and Licensed Practical Nurse. Is it the same down there?

Oh for sure! They were like, " So you're interested in magazine writing huh?"

I was like, " Yeah..."

Little do they know what I already have under my belt in the publications area lol

This just in: I SWITCHED ITALIAN FOR WESTERN HUMANITIES...LIKE POP CULTURE STUFF (good for mag. writing)

I wanted to take a language though :(

Oh and this is my school! I love it, it's one of the best liberal art schools in the country. We rank #1 in a few areas, especially writing. And the fiction writing department is award winning and named the best in the country before:punk:

http://www.colum.edu/Student_Life/index.php

The best advice I can give you going into a journalism course is to really remember that writing is only a part of it. Coming up with story ideas, finding your contacts, interviewing them and then regurgitating their quotes into something meaningful is going to take up more of your time than the actual writing part.

Your school looks cool, you must be so excited! And hey, it's encouraging that there's a cutie on their page as soon as you click the link. :das:

I take it you got all your tuition payments sorted out?

I'll study in uni i wanted! :yay: They accept me, and i'm really happy about it couse i don't need to pay about studies couse my exam results and grades were good! Now i need to wait till the Spetember!:naughty:

I object to this thread's subject title! :thumbdown:

Because... I graduated from college in 1981! :shocked::naughty:

Seriously, Melanie -- glad orientation went well for you, and good luck

with your classes. You realize of course that journalism and fiction

writing were on my first class registration form, too! :thumb_yello:

dcdeb

Cool! So when you're done, what sort of credential do you get? Is it a Bachelor of Science? Also, where I live there are two categories of nurse - Registered Nurse and Licensed Practical Nurse. Is it the same down there?

The best advice I can give you going into a journalism course is to really remember that writing is only a part of it. Coming up with story ideas, finding your contacts, interviewing them and then regurgitating their quotes into something meaningful is going to take up more of your time than the actual writing part.

Your school looks cool, you must be so excited! And hey, it's encouraging that there's a cutie on their page as soon as you click the link.

I take it you got all your tuition payments sorted out?

Yeah, the thing about journalism that i'm not so good with is the "objective" part :naughty:

I'm a pretty emotional person, so to remain unbiased on certain issues will be hard. Just reporting the facts, and keeping my opinions out of it will be hard.

In that sense, I'm not so sure. But ultimatley this major is a backup to more creative endevours. :mf_lustslow:

And my payments are getting sorted. The tuition for the year is surprisingly less than what I thought it would be... $13,000

and I just got a scholarship for $6000 this year, so that decreases the cost to $7000 which is remarkably only about $2000 more than what I paid to attend my very expensive private school:shocked:.

I will work, have help from my parents, and do student loans if I have to. But it won't be as bad as I thought =)

I'll study in uni i wanted! They accept me, and i'm really happy about it couse i don't need to pay about studies couse my exam results and grades were good! Now i need to wait till the Spetember!

It's good that you did well on your exams! Studying really pays off. I wish I were more inclined to study more lol... but I'm so distracted most of the time...I wonder why :naughty:

I object to this thread's subject title! :thumbdown:

Because... I graduated from college in 1981!

Seriously, Melanie -- glad orientation went well for you, and good luck

with your classes. You realize of course that journalism and fiction

writing were on my first class registration form, too!

dcdeb

lol I had no idea! That is so cool:mf_lustslow: So you've done the whole "talk in a semi circle" thing and share your stories...all that?

Its the best:wub2:

Yeah, the thing about journalism that i'm not so good with is the "objective" part :naughty:

I'm a pretty emotional person, so to remain unbiased on certain issues will be hard. Just reporting the facts, and keeping my opinions out of it will be hard.

In that sense, I'm not so sure. But ultimatley this major is a backup to more creative endevours. :mf_lustslow:

It's good that you did well on your exams! Studying really pays off. I wish I were more inclined to study more lol... but I'm so distracted most of the time...I wonder why :naughty:

Its the best:wub2:

Yeah:naughty:

Btw i will graduate on 2012 too:bleh:

I have great news, well first of all I was pulled from intro to fiction writing because of my AP's and previous experience...now I'm in fiction 1.. :punk: Secondly, my one NIGHTclass which ended at 9:30 has now been switched to one that ends at 6:20! This is huge since if it had been the 9:30 time I would have had to wait around for the 11:00 pm train:and downtown chicago is not the safest at night lol So miraculously I checked for openings a few minutes ago and BAM! someone had dropped it...so i got in fast :blush-anim-cl: I'm so releived!

NOW that is 'manifesting your destiny' lol

I start the master degree of medicine in the end of September.

There are 6 or 7 courses but I don't know the translation in English :blush-anim-cl:, there's pharmacology, general medicine,...

But I'm happy it's still vacation now! :wink2:

When do you start with college?

I start the first week of september :D

I have a light load this semester, but my job will take up the rest of my time. Oh, and I'm a senior. :)

- Parameters of Early Learning

- Skills in Literacy I

- Thinking Mathematically

Congrats on being a senior! This must be very exciting, the final stretch:naughty: