The Beijing Olympics!

nico_collard

• Replies 432
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They did a little back story on the boy, at least when they showed the clips of the ceremony, and they said he was trapped under his school and got free and went back to help get his classmates out even though it wasn't safe. Then when asked why he did what he did, he said, "I'm the hall monitor, it's my job." I actually kinda teared up when they said that.

:tears: I know! he was too cute!:huglove:

:tears: omgosh! i can't believed i missed that part.....awww he'll make a wonderful hero:wub2:

yea he will:blush-anim-cl:

and then did you hear the story of the flag holder for the USA? he came from sudan and escaped his death..and got adopted into america? I felt so proud for him! he looked like he was having the time of his life! :wub2:

and then did you hear the story of the flag holder for the USA? he came from sudan and escaped his death..and got adopted into america? I felt so proud for him! he looked like he was having the time of his life! :wub2:

I didn't see that. I think it's so neat when people like that get such great opportunities. They deserve it and you can tell it means the world to them.

I didn't see that. I think it's so neat when people like that get such great opportunities. They deserve it and you can tell it means the world to them.

I know it was so nice he just seemed like one of those people who was happy with whatever he has and this truely made him happy! I could tell!! :biggrin2:

thats awesome!! do you think the political protests about the olympics are stupid or nessesary?

hmm I don't know...but I think that people should stop all the wars and stop fighting and stop violence for the olympics! its really supposed to be the world as one..all together in peace :wink2:....but I don't know..

thats awesome!! do you think the political protests about the olympics are stupid or nessesary?

I don't know...I'm iffy about them, if you believe in a cause then you should stand up for it. However, I'm not sure the Olympics is the right place for it.

Like in 1980, when USA led a boycott against Russia because Russia was in Afghanistan. Now, who's in Afghanistan....USA. It's seems a little hypocritical after the fact.

Then again, I liked at the 1968 Olympics when Tommie Smith and John Carlos gave Black Power salutes when they got 1st and 3rd in the 200m. I thought it was very brave of them especially during that time, and they took a lot of criticism for it, were booed afterward and even received death threats after they were forced by the Olympic Committee to go home. Even the guy who got second, who was from Australia, took a lot of criticism from his own country for supporting the two men. He was even rejected from the next Olympic team despite the fact he was still one of the best runners. However, it was something they needed to do and now, people think it's heroic. I suppose there's a right time to make statements and there's a wrong time, and it depends on how you do it.

I feel bad for the athletes in some cases when politics get involved because they've worked their butts off to get there and then find out they their country is boycotting the Olympics or that relations between other athletes at the games will be strained because of politics. I always thougt the whole point of the Olympics is for everyone to put their differences asides and have athletes from all over the world to compete against each other.

I don't know...I'm iffy about them, if you believe in a cause then you should stand up for it. However, I'm not sure the Olympics is the right place for it.

Like in 1980, when USA led a boycott against Russia because Russia was in Afghanistan. Now, who's in Afghanistan....USA. It's seems a little hypocritical after the fact.

Then again, I liked at the 1968 Olympics when Tommie Smith and John Carlos gave Black Power salutes when they got 1st and 3rd in the 200m. I thought it was very brave of them especially during that time, and they took a lot of criticism for it, were booed afterward and even received death threats after they were forced by the Olympic Committee to go home. Even the guy who got second, who was from Australia, took a lot of criticism from his own country for supporting the two men. He was even rejected from the next Olympic team despite the fact he was still one of the best runners. However, it was something they needed to do and now, people think it's heroic. I suppose there's a right time to make statements and there's a wrong time, and it depends on how you do it.

I feel bad for the athletes in some cases when politics get involved because they've worked their butts off to get there and then find out they their country is boycotting the Olympics or that relations between other athletes at the games will be strained because of politics. I always thougt the whole point of the Olympics is for everyone to put their differences asides and have athletes from all over the world to compete against each other.

wow I didn't know that..thats incredibly amazing, I think

I really think you can look up to people like that who can stand up for what they believe in, even if the rest of the world doesn't want to listen..for me I think thats really powerfull ;)

but its kind of sad to think back about that..I mean they were given 'death threats' :sad:

they are brave! thats great! :biggrin2:

wow I didn't know that..thats incredibly amazing, I think

I really think you can look up to people like that who can stand up for what they believe in, even if the rest of the world doesn't want to listen..for me I think thats really powerfull ;)

but its kind of sad to think back about that..I mean they were given 'death threats' :sad:

they are brave! thats great! :biggrin2:

They both actually received the Arthur Ashe Courage Award at the ESPY's this year. Too bad it was forty years later that they were finally recognized for their courage in doing it.

If you look you can see that all three are wearing the same badge on their jackets. That's the main reason Peter Norman, the third guy, was criticized.

BlackPowerSalute.jpg

They both actually received the Arthur Ashe Courage Award at the ESPY's this year. Too bad it was forty years later that they were finally recognized for their courage in doing it.

If you look you can see that all three are wearing the same badge on their jackets. That's the main reason Peter Norman, the third guy, was criticized.

BlackPowerSalute.jpg

ohh well at least they did get recognized finally, I guess.. :wink2:

Yaaaaaaaaay!!! We have a gold!!!

Gracias Samu!

And Phelps is on a final!!! (I didnt get to watch everything from today, so maybe he did more..........)

I saw that!

Congrats Spain! :punk:

Haha, do they even have singers at the Olympics? I guess maybe at the Opening Ceremony but Mika's obviously not Chinese...

I missed it because I was working. My dad watched it and said it was awesome, which is a pretty big compliment since he's not into that sorta stuff - he normally never watches the Opening Ceremony.

I saw some parts replayed today and from what I saw, it was really cool. They were also talking about how important it was for China since they're under so much scrutiny. I'm glad it went off well and thought it was neat that Yao Ming came out with that little boy that survived the earthquake.

Yeah, they had singers at the Sydney Olympics... they often do something relating to the next host city during the closing ceremony... perfect example - In Atlanta (1996), they had kangaroos riding bycycles as part of the representation of Sydney, which held the Olympics in 2000.... Here's a drawing of what they had:

kangaroo%20on%20bicycle%201998%20atlanta.jpg

Can I just say... WTF?!

My opinion on it is that politics should be left out of the olympics...

What really pissed me off with protests and all was that was that people in other countries were protesting about China's treatment of Tibet, which I think people need to be aware of... but it seemed to me that peopleonly cared when the Olympics were going to mbe in China...

If people feel so strongly about something, they should be trying to do something about it, not just when there's a big event happening...

Yeah, they had singers at the Sydney Olympics... they often do something relating to the next host city during the closing ceremony... perfect example - In Atlanta (1996), they had kangaroos riding bycycles as part of the representation of Sydney, which held the Olympics in 2000.... Here's a drawing of what they had:

kangaroo%20on%20bicycle%201998%20atlanta.jpg

Can I just say... WTF?!

Well, I'm glad you posted a picture 'cause at first I thought you meant like REAL kangaroos riding bicycles, I thinking, "Whaa?" :doh:

Least you guys didn't have Izzy the Whatcamacallit as a mascot or whatever he was.

Oh, and I would like to say congratulations to the USA for their gold medal... and also for Michael Phelps breaking the world record...

But also, GO AUSSIE!!! Stephanis Rice kicked arse in the 400m Individual Medley! And broke the world record to!

That's what happens when you have pretty coloured nails! :naughty: (and too bad I can't find a pic of them! :sad:)

Oh, and congrats to The Netherlands for winning gold in the relay! And to Oz for winning the bronze! (USA won silver for those who don't know!)

Oh, and I would like to say congratulations to the USA for their gold medal... and also for Michael Phelps breaking the world record...

But also, GO AUSSIE!!! Stephanis Rice kicked arse in the 400m Individual Medley! And broke the world record to!

That's what happens when you have pretty coloured nails! :naughty: (and too bad I can't find a pic of them! :sad:)

Oh, and congrats to The Netherlands for winning gold in the relay! And to Oz for winning the bronze! (USA won silver for those who don't know!)

hahah! im still behind atm! lol

Phelps Won! And Beat The World Record!!!

Well I'm glad you didn't see my post from the other page. Haha, one of the perks of being in the Eastern time zone is that we generally see things before you guys. Did you see George Bush in the crowd waving a flag like an idiot? Then there were some technical difficulties while they played the national anthem for Michael.

Well I'm glad you didn't see my post from the other page. Haha, one of the perks of being in the Eastern time zone is that we generally see things before you guys. Did you see George Bush in the crowd waving a flag like an idiot? Then there were some technical difficulties while they played the national anthem for Michael.

haha ya i bothered not to read those and to be suprised. lol

nope i didnt c, lol

I liked her lime green earrings.

(USA won silver for those who don't know!)

Yeah and they looked mad too.

I also saw that USA swept fencing. The girl who got gold went to college around here so it was all over the local news. So was Michael Phelps except the newscaster called him 'Michelle Phelps'. I don't think she noticed she messed up his name but the sports guy looked at her weird. :naughty:

Oh crap... I can't remember!

We had Syd, Olly and Millie (Sydney, Olympics and Millenium)...

Syd was a platypus, Olly was a kookaburra and Millie was an echidna...

The mascot for the paralympics was a frill neck lizard called Lizzie

Here's Lizzie:

Img214340632.jpg

And here's Olly, Millie and Syd:

image4.jpg

Izzy was the mascot in Atlanta...

Here's some of the mascots for the Summer Olympics...

http://www.mapsofworld.com/olympic-trivia/olympic-mascot.html

Izzy was the mascot in Atlanta...

I still have a little stuffed animal version of Izzy. My mom went a little Olympic crazy in 1996 and bought a bunch of Olympic themed stuff for my brothers and me. I guess it had to do with the fact that my uncle had a girl that he coached go to the Olympics.

Good old Dubya :naughty:

I heard the race on the radio...

I liked her lime green earrings.

I also saw that USA swept fencing. The girl who got gold went to college around here so it was all over the local news. So was Michael Phelps except the newscaster called him 'Michelle Phelps'. I don't think she noticed she messed up his name but the sports guy looked at her weird. :naughty:

She's a trendsetter, our Steph!

:lmfao: Nice one newsreader!

That's cool that the US won fencing... we're looking pretty good to take the team equestrian event...

And I'm not liking our chances of beating the US in basketball... we might pull off a minor miracle and do it, but it's unlikely...