Fire in Toronto

zoots14

So was anyone in the area of the big explosion in Toronto today? It shook both my brother's and my parents houses, and they're not even that close to where it happened. Apparently it sounded louder than thunder even from far away.

I'm a few kilometres away, but people have said they heard or felt it from as far as 10km away so I'm sure I would have heard it if I was awake. I slept right through. It was at 4am, so I'm sure I just assumed it was thunder (given the daily thunderstorms we've had!) or else I really can sleep through anything, as I'd always suspected!

Videos:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20080810.wexplosionraw0810/VideoStory/National/home?pid=RTGAM.20080810.wexplosions0810

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6ar-ndyVc4

Article:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20080810.wexplosions0810/BNStory/National/home

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe one firefighter lost his life, and one employee from the propane company is missing (and I doubt he'll be found, given the size of the fire).

The city seems to have done a good job taking care of the people in the area... they evacuated a 1.5 km area.

There are a lot of houses and storefronts that had the windows blown open though, and those that are really close to the area don't have their power back on yet, so the police are concerned about looting going on tonight. Part of it is near a not-so-great neighbourhood. (Although I really don't think this is going to happen... there's going to be a police presence, and even in it's worst spots Toronto really isn't that bad. People generally behave themselves.)

I haven't heard of anyone else being hurt though.... just a few people who hurt themselves as they were trying to leave the area quickly.

I believe one firefighter lost his life, and one employee from the propane company is missing (and I doubt he'll be found, given the size of the fire).

The city seems to have done a good job taking care of the people in the area... they evacuated a 1.5 km area.

There are a lot of houses and storefronts that had the windows blown open though, and those that are really close to the area don't have their power back on yet, so the police are concerned about looting going on tonight. Part of it is near a not-so-great neighbourhood. (Although I really don't think this is going to happen... there's going to be a police presence, and even in it's worst spots Toronto really isn't that bad. People generally behave themselves.)

I haven't heard of anyone else being hurt though.... just a few people who hurt themselves as they were trying to leave the area quickly.

:sad: That's horrible! Was it near the 400? Because, we probably passed it on our way home. We went up younge street, (12 starbucks? That's rediculous :lmfao:) and... then off the 400 i think. Or...no, we used the 400 to get there. Nevermind, I'm confused. LOL.

:shocked:this is so awful! i'm sorry for the man who lost his life:tears:

I'm glad no one else got hurt though:thumb_yello: I've been watching the Olypmics all day so i had no idea of all this!

:sad: That's horrible! Was it near the 400? Because, we probably passed it on our way home. We went up younge street, (12 starbucks? That's rediculous :lmfao:) and... then off the 400 i think. Or...no, we used the 400 to get there. Nevermind, I'm confused. LOL.

You're funny. :naughty: It was near the 401, but you would have seen it from the 400 if you were there at that time. It was at 4am so you probably went home before it happened.

They said you could see it as far north as Aurora, and as far south as Niagara on the Lake.

Crazy, eh?

You're funny. :naughty: It was near the 401, but you would have seen it from the 400 if you were there at that time. It was at 4am so you probably went home before it happened.

They said you could see it as far north as Aurora, and as far south as Niagara on the Lake.

Crazy, eh?

Whoa, you could probably see it from where I live then :eek:

Are you being sarcastic?:lmfao: Oh okay, yeah, I was eavesdropping on my dad's conversation and just heard something involving a 4 so i just guessed.