Andy's close-ups in recent videos

Marie-Thérèse / Marie-Andrée

Marie-Thérèse / Marie-Andrée

Andy’s close-ups have become very close indeed and we can see hairs up Mika’s nose ? New idea for a birthday present then : a hair clipper. Kidding ! Mika has lately developed a rather unfortunate tendency to shave his chest before a gig –hopefully not wax… Let’s not give him further ideas about how to get rid of pilosity.

Seriously, Mika is not blind and, being such a control freak, he most certainly watches and edits all videos before they are released on his blog, so he knows perfectly well what he looks like in them.

I rather think that the message he is thus sending his fans is as follows :

Press and fashion photographers, jet setters and the crowds at my concerts get to see the glamorous me : wearing smart clothes, sporting gorgeously done hair and sometimes a stylish three-day stubble.

But you guys get to see the real, unsophisticated me : unshaven, wearing an old tee-shirt, with my hair all over my head, jumping happily on a moving bed in oversized Bermuda shorts and looking for all the world like a big-nosed, friendly and slightly crazy animal out of a Tex Avery cartoon. After all we have been together for so long and you have been so faithful and loyal to me that you are almost family now.

Actually I believe we should be touched and honoured that he trusts us enough to show himself with his metaphorical pants down, that he knows that he doesn’t have to look attractive because, no matter what, we are genuinely fond of him. All the same Andy might step back a wee little bit before filming…

So long,

M.-Th.

PS Help : can anybody tell me how to re-register ? I am beginning to feel like a twelve-year old ! I am a big girl, now, I'd love to be able to post threads without using my Mummy's space...

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Seriously, Mika is not blind and, being such a control freak, he most certainly watches and edits all videos before they are released on his blog, so he knows perfectly well what he looks like in them....

Actually I believe we should be touched and honoured that he trusts us enough to show himself with his metaphorical pants down, that he knows that he doesn’t have to look attractive because, no matter what, we are genuinely fond of him. All the same Andy might step back a wee little bit before filming…

I was thinking the same thing - that in these videos we get to see sleepy, cranky, un-showered Mika wearing just a t-shirt. Frankly, I love it, and I'm glad he doesn't feel the need to only show the most "polished" videos.

I wonder if Andy's doing all the filming, though - I think that in some of those, Mika's got a point-and-shoot camera with video function, and he's just recording himself. :naughty:

PS Help : can anybody tell me how to re-register ? I am beginning to feel like a twelve-year old ! I am a big girl, now, I'd love to be able to post threads without using my Mummy's space...

You want to make a new account, separate from this one?

If you click "log out" in the upper right part of your screen, it will log you out; on the screen it takes you to, there should be a button to sign up, which you can do as long as you use a different email address. :thumb_yello:

I was thinking the same thing - that in these videos we get to see sleepy, cranky, un-showered Mika wearing just a t-shirt. Frankly, I love it, and I'm glad he doesn't feel the need to only show the most "polished" videos.

I wonder if Andy's doing all the filming, though - I think that in some of those, Mika's got a point-and-shoot camera with video function, and he's just recording himself. :naughty:

You want to make a new account, separate from this one?

If you click "log out" in the upper right part of your screen, it will log you out; on the screen it takes you to, there should be a button to sign up, which you can do as long as you use a different email address. :thumb_yello:

Thank you for your help. But it seems to be a little more complicated as my mother doesn't have an e-mail address and I gave mine when she registered so when I try to register (or when I tried to retrieve my registration and asked to be sent a new password as I had forgotten mine) they refuse because another fanclub member gave them the same address. So you see I have really screwed things up big time.

M.-Th.

Thank you for your help. But it seems to be a little more complicated as my mother doesn't have an e-mail address and I gave mine when she registered so when I try to register (or when I tried to retrieve my registration and asked to be sent a new password as I had forgotten mine) they refuse because another fanclub member gave them the same address. So you see I have really screwed things up big time.

M.-Th.

You'll have to set up another email address, M-Th. Easy enough to do

and free -- just use a web-based email program like gmail or yahoo.

Go to gmail.com and it should walk you through the steps to set up an

account. Then use that account to re-register here.

If you need more help, PM one of the moderators, like me or lollipop_monkey.

:)

dcdeb

I don't think Andy is doing the up-nose shots. Those are self-inflicted. :naughty:

I also prefer the unpolished and whiney Mika. Far more appealing than the granny curls and the marketing spin.

Even if it wasn't appealing, he is what he is. I'd rather see the reality than some public relations persona and image.

I don't think Andy is doing the up-nose shots. Those are self-inflicted. :naughty:

I also prefer the unpolished and whiney Mika. Far more appealing than the granny curls and the marketing spin.

Even if it wasn't appealing, he is what he is. I'd rather see the reality than some public relations persona and image.

Hear Hear !! :punk:

Am I the only one here that isn't buying the "spontaneous" style. I'm not for a minute doubting Mika's sincerity- neither in the rehearsed or unrehearsed style blogs- but neither do I doubt that he's carefully considering the effect everything he puts online

Where apart from among your family (or close friends) do you feel comfortable enough not to look your best ?

Everywhere, I don't give a shizzle what people think and I always feel pretty comfortable with myself:blink:

Am I the only one here that isn't buying the "spontaneous" style. I'm not for a minute doubting Mika's sincerity- neither in the rehearsed or unrehearsed style blogs- but neither do I doubt that he's carefully considering the effect everything he puts online

Are you the only, only lonely fan who is not naive ?

But what would be the point in showing himself at a disadvantage ? Make us find him endearing ? I don’t buy that.

It may be a typical woman’s reaction but I would never show myself without make up, wearing crumpled clothes, acting like a petulant 3-year-old who demands to sit at the front, I would not film myself in a way that brings out my nose, just to make people find me endearing –which they might not. And I don’t believe that Mika who even though he is not a woman, is, as you say, very image-conscious, would do that either.

But what would be the point in showing himself at a disadvantage ? Make us find him endearing ? I don’t buy that.

It may be a typical woman’s reaction but I would never show myself without make up, wearing crumpled clothes, acting like a petulant 3-year-old who demands to sit at the front, I would not film myself in a way that brings out my nose, just to make people find me endearing –which they might not. And I don’t believe that Mika who even though he is not a woman, is, as you say, very image-conscious, would do that either.

PS to my message to Soaring Simpson. I wasn't inferring that Mika should be wearing make-up ! As a matter of fact I hardly wear any make up (allergic to the stuff), that part was purely symbolic...

wow, really? lol, i must be in a minority group.

Now, I always go to work with makeup on, and I do like looking my best (or at least, better) but if I'm taking a day off I don't slap anything on my face lol XD (maybe mascara and eyeliner, but no foundation/bronzer/blusher). I give my skin a break. I don't have a problem with people seeing what I really look like because, really, I'm human like everyone else.

And I definitely have my lay-about clothes :naughty: who doesn't? I may go downtown in them just to buy a newspaper or whatever, but wouldn't wear them further a-field. If I'm going out looking like the worst thing ever to have graced the planet I have to do it in a place I'm comfortable in lol. xD

What I'm saying is, is that I don't have a problem with you always wanting to look your best, but I personally think it's nice to take a break from that, show the real you. We're not perfect, so embrace your flaws! Everyone has them! :biggrin2:

That's also my impression. I can't believe he'd put his unedited, uncensored material out there for the world to see, just as it is, unreflected. Still his evaluation of how any of his actions or spleens or passions might come across does not necessarily correspond with ours. Those few vlogs are already showing facets of him, he'd never display so naturally during any of his superofficial on site appearances, and I'm not so sure if he's aware of that. I'd reckon it's not the case. But as Christine said, he is what he is. And as many of us have embraced his public self a long time ago already without much hesitation, seeing those until now unrevealed bits and pieces of his more private side is probably not such an unhealthy thing. Not that we hadn't known before that he's not a Saint :naughty:

As YOU say- Mika would not show himself at a disadvantage... he's very image conscious...

So would he really bung vids of himself onto the internet without considering their effect? I'd be surprised. And the overwhelming response has been that he's adorable (possibly he didn't anticipate the "overexcited 3 year old" comments when he danced half naked on a bed). And I'm not meaning it as a criticism- I'm not doubting his sincerity, just crediting his intelligence

I think he does carefully consider it. We already got a good dose of whiney Mika in the DVD and obviously more thought went into that than any relatively off-the-cuff interviews where he couldn't control the editing.

But just because he considers it doesn't mean that his judgement about how he appears is sound. He does sometimes miss the mark in anticipating how fans are going to react to his actions.

In any case these blogs are definitely showing a side of him that is not evident when he does his usual PR campaigns for radio, TV, etc. I don't think he particularly acts like that when he's dealing with fans either. It's more something he has hinted at in interviews, rather than actually demonstrated.

Personally, I've given up on asking him to back it up with the camera. The first 3 or 4, I commented on him being too close, but I guess they had already filmed them, and weren't too bothered about changing how they were doing it.

MT, I likened him to a Pokemon character in the Syrian border vid, but yes, a Tex Avery character would be more on the money:naughty:.

If we are analyising this, as we seem to be doing, during the Dead Sea video, the whiney explanation, with the intense stare at camera in the middle of it, seems a bit contrived. Not the most natural narritive he has done, not sure what he thought he was doing with that.:blink:

Otherwise, I think he is just doing what he would do normally, just not sure with some of it that he should have filmed it for general consumption, if he doesn't want people to know what he's really like.

I'm thinking that he possibly just really doesn't give a hoot what people think of him...OR maybe this is done with a purpose.

It could be that he's sick and tired of all the "ooh I love you Mika, marry me, let's make cute babies together, I think you're my soulmate, etc" type comments that he gets, and this is his way to tell people "hey, I am NOT really that sweet/perfect/eligible/whatever"

I mean, it would be silly to think that Mr. Control Freak has had no thoughgs whatsoever in how he comes across in these videos, especially after how carefully he crafts his public image (interviews, etc).

Or it could also be that he's radically decided to drop the whole PR thing and only present himself in a natural way from now on?

Whatever it is, I am with Christine and others there: I much prefer the REAL Mika, than the over polished one (in every way) that we are fed in some interviews.

Normality, grubiness, grumpiness, whining.......bring it on! I prefer not to see an image that one has to idolise , but to know why he's not perfect, to see that he is a child, and a spoilt one for that, and that we love him despite all these things.

I'd rather have that, than this impossible image of "holy Mika" that has been kind of crafted to a certain degree.

I hope that this also brings with it a move towards more casual clothes for the next tour, like what he's been doing this summer. He looks SO much better IMO in just normal casual clothes, and not in that designer or super formal gear...

Mika, do you hear me? Less is more. Simple is beautiful.

Drop the designer shirts and jackets, the hair curlers, and just go au naturel, you have the face and body to pull it off so just go for it.

I hope that this also brings with it a move towards more casual clothes for the next tour, like what he's been doing this summer. He looks SO much better IMO in just normal casual clothes, and not in that designer or super formal gear...

Drop the designer shirts and jackets, the hair curlers, and just go au naturel, you have the face and body to pull it off so just go for it.

i hope he's not doing that, i like him in designer clothes on stage.

i'm just busy with my design for mika , i don't want all my work to be for nothing:roftl:.

when mika is on stage he's different than the mika off stage and i like that.

and i believe he likes his designer clothes if he didn't he wouldn't wear it because he's not the person who would do what another person wants

same here :bleh:

But what would be the point in showing himself at a disadvantage ? Make us find him endearing ?

I think it's several things.

1. Once you take the plunge into online sharing, you lose your initial inhibitions and the relative anonymity of your audience begins to feel almost falsely "safe."

By "anonymity" I don't mean that we don't know who he is--of course we do. And sure, he gets our feedback. But he doesn't really have to deal with us in everyday life or up close, so he's kind of tossing these videos into the void. This is the same reason why people put up all sorts of compromising pictures on myspace and facebook--somewhere in the back of their minds, they "know" they might end up being seen by someone they don't want to see them, but after they've put up a few "proper" pictures and nothing happened... you begin to relax, to think "no big deal."

2. He may not consider it "showing himself at a disadvantage" as you do. He has his vanities, but he's not some super self-conscious girl freaking out about every pimple or unwaxed eyebrows or leg stubble. (Or nose hair.) He's a self-confident young man with a stable enough self-image. He may have his hang ups about some parts of his body, but they're not what we may think, and anyway, he's not the type to deal with that by hiding. He really doesn't think it's a big deal if we see his nosehair or ratty t-shirt or whatever. He wouldn't care about anyone seeing that.

For instance, I have lots of hang-ups about my own body/looks. Really, tons and tons of various insecurities. I won't leave the house without make-up either. However, even though I'm very critical of it, I'm pretty casual about people seeing my body. I don't care who sees me in my underwear, for instance. Even if it's an entire store of people. (As Suzy and Christine can attest. :naughty:)

3. Anyway, Mika's so glammed up at his shows not because he doesn't feel comfortable in anything less, but because he feels it's part of the "performance" he wants to put on.

4. In fact, because of how he dresses at his shows, maybe he expressly wants to reduce our expectations, and make sure we don't think he's always like that. Again, not because he feels particularly close to us, but because the show is just a show. And he's fine with being himself for 80% of his life (after all, he does go out in public in just a t-shirt on all his non-MIKA days, it's not like he won't leave the house without shiny pants and a suit jacket), so why pretend he's always as glammed up as he is for the other 20% of it?

5. He's seen how just about anything and everything he does will be considered "OMG sexy amazing!" by the MFC. He may just be pretty confident by this point that he could grow out braids from his nose hair and we'd think it was an innovating and daring style choice. And he's right, isn't he? When he's dressed up we go "woah, I love his outfit!" When he's unshaven, hairy and sloppily-dressed, we go "OMG, that's the real Mika, I love that! He's so sexy unshaven!" Given that kind of feedback, why would he be self-conscious?

I can promise you though, if you actually started a thread saying how you really didn't like the up-the-nose shots and wished he represented himself in a more flattering manner, and lots of people agreed with you, you'd see the up-nose-shots stop right away. I'd bet on it.

--Jack

Yep, i think you are right here, To me it seems that all those tour vblogs were filmed by Andy, and the rest more private ones are filmed by Mika or maybe one of his sisters or mum.

I really agree with this!

And while we’re at it….play us some acoustic gigs too, please…..!:roftl:

See Mika we want you all “naturel!”:naughty:

3. Anyway, Mika's so glammed up at his shows not because he doesn't feel comfortable in anything less, but because he feels it's part of the "performance" he wants to put on.

--Jack

I think you have a point here!

The bigger the show is the more of the theatrical dressing!:thumb_yello:

It's a well known actor/theatre thing, you're stepping in to a role.