Hidden or more subtle themes/Chords and melodies in MIKA's music

1. A special theme in Any Other World played by String Orchestra (on the LICM CD)-I have transcribed the notes to sheet music!

2. the Boy soprano melody at the Any Other World part of the LICM medley

at Parc Des Princes- also transcribed this too!!

3. The Ending on Happy Ending is a homage to Pachabel's Cannon (the really fast part)

4.The beginning of Happy Ending uses similar chords as Pachabel's cannon. Try playing along!

these are pure genius. Something I have not heard as beautiful or simple since Mozart.

have any of you found any special gems that really surprise you or excite you in his music?

it was so much fun doing this! I cried when I got the themes to all work together!

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1. A special theme in Any Other World played by String Orchestra (on the LICM CD)-I have transcribed the notes to sheet music!

3. The Ending on Happy Ending is a homage to Pachabel's Cannon (the really fast part)

4.The beginning of Happy Ending uses similar chords as Pachabel's cannon. Try playing along!

these are pure genius. Something I have not heard as beautiful or simple since Mozart.

have any of you found any special gems that really surprise you or excite you in his music?

it was so much fun doing this! I cried when I got the themes to all work together!

Well he is a musical genius!:wink2:

I’m not as familiar with music and musical theories or even writing notes as you are but just listening to his recordings and singing is telling me that there’s so much more than the obvious pop sound.

How he lets the piano mirror the tunes of “is there anybody home”

The very special sound in his singing in HMDYLM, not only the high notes, there is something more to it!

And let’s not forget about his poetical skills!

Okay I’ll stop now, too much of an amateur to even try to describe….:blush-anim-cl:

But Eleanor, it’s really amazing isn’t it?!:wub2:

I’m not as familiar with music and musical theories or even writing notes as you are but just listening to his recordings and singing is telling me that there’s so much more than the obvious pop sound.

The very special sound in his singing in HMDYLM, not only the high notes, there is something more to it!

Okay I’ll stop now, too much of an amateur to even try to describe….:blush-anim-cl:

his poetry , subtleness, play on words , and yes HMDLYM is very special to me indeed. I thought that after year something might fade but it hasn't. I am really enjoying taking his music apart! its like a treat!!!!!

That's what I thought too!:wink2:

As I have just read 'Pachabel' and reference to it in Mika's work, I remembered this one:

Enjoy! :wink2:

:thumb_yello:

That's why I have always loved being a soprano in the chorus, we get all the great melodies!:naughty:

As I have just read 'Pachabel' and reference to it in Mika's work, I remembered this one:

Enjoy! :wink2:

OMG OMG

I AM A CELLIST TOO! AND I almost fell l asleep while playing and yes I was smaller than it! THIS VIDEO IS MY LIFE~!

ah memories!

Violet! thankyou!

They played a bit of Happy Endings (instrumental version) on The X Factor last night. Happy Endings Instrumental gets played quite a bit as incidental music. It's such a masterpiece!

Hello All.

Elanorelle - this is a fascinating idea for a thread.

I loved "Over my Shoulder" when I first heard it. I loved the vocal harmonies - particularly when two notes are sung a tone apart, creating a feeling of tension, which is then released into a more orthodox chord. (It happens on the word "Cold" as in "cold, drunk" and "cold dry" when the second voice joins in a tone higher than the first) It is the kind of thing that happens in a lot of contemporary choral music and reminded me of a little-known choral work by Gorecki called "Euntes Ibant et Flebant" which my choir sang once. The piece relies on 3 notes - the first, second and third notes of the scale sung together in 12 part harmony, in various odd scrunchy combinations, until suddenly ending up with some nice comforting major chords.

Gorecki is better known for his 3rd Symphony, known as the “Symphony of Sorrowful Songs" - so I was very surprised when I read (somewhere on the MFC) that Mika had planned an EP of "6 sorrowful songs."

Is this just coincidence? Is Mika a Gorecki fan, or am I just imagining things? I suspect the latter but it’s fun to speculate!

Hello All.

Elanorelle - this is a fascinating idea for a thread.

I loved "Over my Shoulder" when I first heard it. I loved the vocal harmonies - particularly when two notes are sung a tone apart, creating a feeling of tension, which is then released into a more orthodox chord. (It happens on the word "Cold" as in "cold, drunk" and "cold dry" when the second voice joins in a tone higher than the first) It is the kind of thing that happens in a lot of contemporary choral music and reminded me of a little-known choral work by Gorecki called "Euntes Ibant et Flebant" which my choir sang once. The piece relies on 3 notes - the first, second and third notes of the scale sung together in 12 part harmony, in various odd scrunchy combinations, until suddenly ending up with some nice comforting major chords.

Gorecki is better known for his 3rd Symphony, known as the “Symphony of Sorrowful Songs" - so I was very surprised when I read (somewhere on the MFC) that Mika had planned an EP of "6 sorrowful songs."

Is this just coincidence? Is Mika a Gorecki fan, or am I just imagining things? I suspect the latter but it’s fun to speculate!

oh I love that tight harmony! you notice it too! yes the tone apart. that effect has dissonance but in the schematics of the piece it moves ...not like a suspension chord, but certainly tension. interesting way of moving the next interval...Rutter uses some of these tight harmonies more as part of extended chords like 7ths and 9ths etc...but to stuck out like that it is so gorgeous! and not sung at the same time exactly but like one quarter note away so the waves of the notes act even more strongly. I compose like this too at times. Its so spooky that he is my musical equal and felt so alone for years and in 2008 he was on this planet. Need to find out what was happening in my life in 1983 on August 18th,,not quite sure really.

Tavner's The Lord's Prayer is quite new (2005) I think, an English Composer that has tight harmonies like those. Chatman, a Canadian Composer from Vancouver has been using these tight harmonies in a piece called Remember. I can send you MP3's of these if you want. They are so beaufitul...I have a feeling MIKA in about 30 years will one of Histories most influencial composers. I have never been so sure about something in my life.

I am getting so excited by extracting his music Its the music where he has written .Not really the music where he has teamed with someone else, but his own. He seems so ahead of his time..He is an old soul...He really reminds me of Mozart in so many ways. composes light stuff but really very deep and emotional...off to figure out some of his melodies and why they seem to affect me,,,,something in my Psyche from over 20 years ago I think.

Suzanne ..so glad of the info you gave me! will check out Gorecki! thanks so much!!

i love the chord change in Over My Shoulder..

i play that song all the time!

the solo piano part? Its so stark and yet very beautiful. Its very introspective.

This song kind of reminds me of an Eastern European kind of waltz.

The countertenor 's melody is so beautiful and that gorgeous underlying arpeggiation by the piano/cello.

the solo piano part? Its so stark and yet very beautiful. Its very introspective.

This song kind of reminds me of an Eastern European kind of waltz.

The countertenor 's melody is so beautiful and that gorgeous underlying arpeggiation by the piano/cello.

i know. theres little parts in each of his songs that i always notice..i pick diff. pieces of sound from each song.

Oooh, yes, Pachabel fits perfectly at the beginning of Happy Ending. What are there- 15 notes in between? I could be way off, just guessing. I wish I could still play the violin...sounds so much better on that =/

Mika's music is genius in my eyes. It always sounds so epic in a medley.

You often don't realize how incredible it is until you pull it apart a bit, then when you hear it all together, you're listening to each distinct part and it sounds incredibly amazing.

i'm also a HUGE fan of overr my shoulder. i worked it out on the piano (its harder than it sounds!) me and my brothers confuse everyone downtown walking along going

coooooooooolllllllldddddddddd,,, dryyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy, druuuuuuunkkkkkkkkk

i love it when people discuss mikas music and artwork!! sorry girls 100000000000000^9 raised to the power of 10billion better times than the mikagasmic thread

i'm also a HUGE fan of overr my shoulder. i worked it out on the piano (its harder than it sounds!) me and my brothers confuse everyone downtown walking along going

coooooooooolllllllldddddddddd,,, dryyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy, druuuuuuunkkkkkkkkk

i love it when people discuss mikas music and artwork!! sorry girls 100000000000000^9 raised to the power of 10billion better times than the mikagasmic thread

hey now, :sneaky2: I am a big part of that thread too, I enjoy all aspects of Mika :naughty:

oh wow I LOVE this thread!! those little hidden things are soo amazing..well not hidden but the ones you have to listen for. I looove the ending swell on Happy ending. the orchestra..so amazing.

i was thinking about this today!

the ending of happy ending is amazing:wub2:

not only orchestra but also vocals!!!

i like it when a woman (probably a black one:naughty:) goes very high and almost screams at the very end like ".......pretEeEeEeEeEending.......EeEeEeEending" :wub2:

sometimes i just skip the first 2 minutes of the song to get there quick:blush-anim-cl:

ooooh carefull there dilek- do not offend....

but i agree with you "blacks" WANT A BETTER WORD!! WE ARE alll the saaammmmeeee

they always seem to be incredible preachers and.or singers...

sowwy ankmet.... mikagasmic isn't allllll bad

see I don't get why that should be offensive..I mean..if someone calls me white..thats what I am. why should black be offensive..sorry going off on a rant. I knew how you guys meant it, but it sounds like a gospel choir, which is typically filled with powerhouse african American women and men. :thumb_yello:

depends on your age :das:

Suzanne, you seem to be a bit of a genius........I've a question/challenge :naughty: Any chance you've transcribed the music for Rain?? I really love this!!!