Hidden or more subtle themes/Chords and melodies in MIKA's music

i'm also a HUGE fan of overr my shoulder. i worked it out on the piano (its harder than it sounds!) me and my brothers confuse everyone downtown walking along going

coooooooooolllllllldddddddddd,,, dryyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy, druuuuuuunkkkkkkkkk

i love it when people discuss mikas music and artwork!! sorry girls 100000000000000^9 raised to the power of 10billion better times than the mikagasmic thread

whaaat?

no offense please..

i was just stating a fact that they have a better voice than us, i adore them:wub2:

see I don't get why that should be offensive..I mean..if someone calls me white..thats what I am. why should black be offensive..sorry going off on a rant. I knew how you guys meant it, but it sounds like a gospel choir, which is typically filled with powerhouse african American women and men. :thumb_yello:

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by elanorelle

Tavner's The Lord's Prayer is quite new (2005) I think, an English Composer that has tight harmonies like those. Chatman, a Canadian Composer from Vancouver has been using these tight harmonies in a piece called Remember. I can send you MP3's of these if you want. They are so beaufitul...I have a feeling MIKA in about 30 years will one of Histories most influencial composers. I have never been so sure about something in my life.

I love John Tavener's music - I went to a concert once where he gave the audience a long lecture on how we should all be more spiritual in our daily lives (it was a bit dull after a fab concert - I hope Mika never tries it)- he looked like an Old Testament Prophet with long white hair! I've sung quite a few choral works by him. I also like Arvo Part whose music has a similar spiritual feel.

I certainly think Mika is talented and will have a long career, but I think it could go in almost any direction - I can see him writing an opera/musical type thing, but I don't think it will resemble anything on the market today!

I always find Mika's piano playing in "Over My Shoulder" reminds me of Satie.

ooh wow you're so right! I used to play his Gymnopedie....oops, I can't remember which one... no. 3 or 4.....the really famous one..but yeah it sounds like it!!

Hello Silver

You're spot on :clap:- I hadn't thought of Satie but now you mention it, there is a very strong similarity.

it does! gymnopedies (if that is the right spelling) the 3/4 beat, the subtleness

1. A special theme in Any Other World played by String Orchestra (on the LICM CD)-I have transcribed the notes to sheet music!

2. the Boy soprano melody at the Any Other World part of the LICM medley

at Parc Des Princes- also transcribed this too!!

3. The Ending on Happy Ending is a homage to Pachabel's Cannon (the really fast part)

4.The beginning of Happy Ending uses similar chords as Pachabel's cannon. Try playing along!

these are pure genius. Something I have not heard as beautiful or simple since Mozart.

have any of you found any special gems that really surprise you or excite you in his music?

it was so much fun doing this! I cried when I got the themes to all work together!

Suzanne - you're truly beautiful :wub2:

I am so frightened just now that I've been listening to Relax and Any Other World, so as to get my breath, often helps with sense of proportion, singing in wordless harmony to Any Other World in particular.

But it hasn't quite worked yet because I have to find the answer quickly to start a project that's very urgent, but I won't tell you about it, because there isn't time..

I need to know how to get permission to use Any Other World as the soundtrack for a slide show, or can someone ask for me, have to work, have to work

its the layers of meaning, the way their tectonic plates slip together

supporting understanding

cushioning shock

im the biggest fan of E,satie ever...are you thinking about something in particular? or just satie in general?

It was Gymnopedie no 3.

For a song more obviously based on Satie, you should listen to "Nightporter" by Japan.

It was Gymnopedie no 3.

For a song more obviously based on Satie, you should listen to "Nightporter" by Japan.

wow, lol , thanks for that, thats so satiesque... do you know if dsylvian clearly said he was influenced by him?

for GIII...i dont know, i know what you mean but...

all i know for sure is that the beginning of *im falling* is serial,lol

• 4 months later...