Cooking with Chickadee - The Recipes Thread

Christine

IMG_8920-1.jpg

well here we go. my pseudo-thai/chinese rice. (it looks thai/chinese but no asian ingredients, except for the rice of course...)

you need:

1 mug of long rice

1 onion

some prawns (up to everyone... used few of them because i'm not a fan of sea-food. you can skip them if you don't like them)

some mushrooms

cheese (i use soft cheese like camembert or just highly processed cheese)

celery

parsley

sweet peppers

you put the rice to boil, ( i like it when it's still a bit hard...but most of the people hate it this way) in the meantime in a frying pan you put the prawns. (no oil) after they got brownish (not too brownish then they're burnt, it takes about a minute really) you put them on a plate. then you put some oil and add the onion and the sliced mushrooms. you leave them until they're ready.

when the rice is ready you pour the water away and put the rice in the frying pan along with the mushrooms, prawns and cheese. (watch out because if there's too much cheese it will all stick together and the final result would be something yucky) mix it for a minute and it's done!

so it's almost ready. next thing you need to is put it on a plate and decorate it with the celery, sweet peppers and parsley.

BON APPETITE! :biggrin2: I hope you'll like it.

coming soon: the most delicious bruschetti ever made :naughty:

i didn't take a picture of them yet. so i'll make some tomorrow and post them here

p.s.: sorry for the huge image...photobucket just won't make it any smaller :aah:

That looks interesting... I don't like prawns either, but I also don't like mushrooms. Any suggestions for what would work as a substitute? I also like the rice slightly nutty still. My husband tells me that it's not cooked properly:bleh: well, actually that's with brown rice. With white I've finally worked out how to do it just right:biggrin2:

Oh, btw, the photo is not too big. My photo's are at least twice that size (but that's cos I haven't resized them:naughty:)

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mmmmmmm.... yummy!

:naughty: i remember i was sooo hungry when i made it. and i was thinking it has to be the most yummy thing i've ever made. now i think the bruschetti are :bleh:

offtopic: i love tony bourdain too. :thumb_yello: (at the begging i couldn't stand him, but i liked his show and then i started to believe he's goodlooking too :bleh:)

That looks interesting... I don't like prawns either, but I also don't like mushrooms. Any suggestions for what would work as a substitute? I also like the rice slightly nutty still. My husband tells me that it's not cooked properly:bleh: well, actually that's with brown rice. With white I've finally worked out how to do it just right:biggrin2:

Oh, btw, the photo is not too big. My photo's are at least twice that size (but that's cos I haven't resized them:naughty:)

uhmm you could try with some ham instead of mushrooms... but i think some corn would be nice too. :)

*thinking of something else to replace*

my mum always tells me it's not cooked too...i know the feeling:naughty:

uhmm you could try with some ham instead of mushrooms... but i think some corn would be nice too. :)

*thinking of something else to replace*

my mum always tells me it's not cooked too...i know the feeling:naughty:

don't like ham either... but corn:thumb_yello: Actually, with the celery, the sweet peppers and the corn it starts to remind me of my rice salad.

don't like ham either... but corn:thumb_yello: Actually, with the celery, the sweet peppers and the corn it starts to remind me of my rice salad.

sometimes i make the rice with corn, carrots, curry and in the end i throw in a scrambled egg. it sounds yucky..(for me) but i like it.

Aiii!! This thread makes me hungry!!!

*pretends to leave* :naughty:

i just hope my internet won't be down again :naughty:

:licks_lips: YUMMY EVERYONE !!!! :licks_lips:

I DO have some recipes to post ..... & shall .... tho' no photos .... :no: ... hehe ... just will have to leave them up to imagination , or .... make 'em !:wink2:

yippieee :) don't worry about photos.

i'm gonna put the pics of the foods that look nice only :roftl:

ok so now i'm gonna be the unserious not-keeping her word girl, but i just realised i have no proper bread for my bruschetti and i got no time to go and buy, 'cause i have to catch a train shortly.

so i'm begging for excuses and i'll post them when i get back on monday.

:blush-anim-cl:

ok so now i'm gonna be the unserious not-keeping her word girl, but i just realised i have no proper bread for my bruschetti and i got no time to go and buy, 'cause i have to catch a train shortly.

so i'm begging for excuses and i'll post them when i get back on monday.

:blush-anim-cl:

There's no rush. Have fun.:bye:

can we put recipes for like clay/other slime related things in here? because whe i am cooking i usually come up with some gross hings, so i stick to making clay and silly putty.

Ummm, I guess? That's not really the point of this thread, it is about cooking food, but if you don't know where else to post it, why not stick it in here?

I was thinking about openning an exaact same thread a few days ago!! :naughty: I thought "I can not be the only one who loves to cook in the MFC, I gotta open a thread about it" And since this fan club is world wide, we can actually learn cooking from other places from the people over there!!

I'm in love with this thread! :wub2:

Great thread!

You don't happen to have the recipe for something called Chocolate silk pie, I have tasted it and it was so delicious!:punk:

Lots and lots of chocolate and a crust made from Digestive biscuits, I think?:bleh:

The girl who made it came from Alabama in the US.

I have a recipe for a Chocolate Silk Pie that my friend gave me. It is really rich,chocolately and silky. But I can't guarantee it is like the Alabama one. (They really know how to cook in the South) :thumb_yello:

The recipe has a graham cracker crust (you can use a cookie crust or a regular cooled pie crust too) and optional whipped cream topping. It makes me hungry just thinking about it.

Here is the recipe:

Chocolate Silk Pie

Crust: Graham Cracker

Ingredients: 1 ½ cups graham crackers (around 15)

6 Tablespoons of butter (melted)

Directions: Heat oven to 350 F

Break graham crackers into smaller pieces

Place in reseal-able plastic bag

Roll with rolling pin to make crumbs

Melt butter

Put crumbs into dish, add butter, work butter into crumbs with spoon

Put into pie pan, and press with flat-bottomed glass to compress and

Make even around bottom and sides

Bake crust in oven for 8-10 minutes

Take out and cool

Pie:

Ingredients: 1 cup butter, softened

1 ½ cup white, granulated sugar

3 Tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder

3 ounces unsweetened baking chocolate

4 large eggs

2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract

Directions:

Melt chocolate (in a dish over hot water)

Cream butter with mixer until creamy

Add sugar to butter and beat (mix) until it is fluffy (3-5 minutes)

Add cocoa and mix for 1 minute more.

Add melted chocolate and mix until well blended

Add eggs one at a time, beating each one completely into the mixture

Add vanilla and mix thoroughly

Put into pie crust, use a spatula to spread evenly, if needed

Refrigerate for one or more hours before serving

Whipped Topping: (optional)

Ingredients: 1 cup heavy whipping cream

¼ cup confectionery’s powdered sugar

1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Directions: Whip cream with mixer until it is light and fluffy

Add sugar and vanilla and mix thoroughly, but don’t over beat

Use large spoon or spatula to gently spread over pie (or serve as a separate

topping) Decorate with chocolate shavings, if desired.

I have a recipe for a Chocolate Silk Pie that my friend gave me. It is really rich,chocolately and silky. But I can't guarantee it is like the Alabama one. (They really know how to cook in the South) :thumb_yello:

The recipe has a graham cracker crust (you can use a cookie crust or a regular cooled pie crust too) and optional whipped cream topping. It makes me hungry just thinking about it.

Here is the recipe:

Chocolate Silk Pie

Melt butter

Take out and cool

Pie:

4 large eggs

Directions:

God that sounds rich! Is it very sweet? I imagine that you would need the cream just to cut the flavour of the pie!

I have a question though... What are Graham crackers? I'm sure I've asked someon before and not gotten an answer I could really relate to... I keep thinking "Are they like Digestive biscuits?" and the tricky thing there is that I don't actually know what digestive biscuits are, but whenever I hear about them they remind me of a biscuit we have called Granita.

*goes to have a little look see*

Edit: Just done some investigating... It sounds like I could substitute Granita's for Graham crackers as they are one of the classic biscuits used in cheesecake bases here in Australia.

Ginger/Apple Log

1 packet of gingernut biscuits

1 small tin pie apple

Roughly ?1/2 cup of orange juice (optional)

Whipping cream

Icing sugar (confectioner's sugar)

This recipe requires some forward planning as it has to sit in the fridge overnight to let the biscuit soften. If you have only a few hours, use the orange juice as it will help the biscuit soften quicker.

Mash the pie apple so it's less lumpy, but not so much that it's runny like puree. Take a biscuit, spread the back of it with some apple. Take another biscuit and sandwich it onto the back of the first biscuit. (If you are using the short-on-time/juice option, dunk the face of the second biscuit into the orange juice before sticking it onto the back of the first biscuit.) Spread the back of this biscuit with apple. It's easier to start with the first five or so biscuits in your hands and then to lay them down on to whatever plate you will be serving the log on. Keep applying apple and biscuit to build up your log until you run out of either biscuit or space on your serving plate. (I've never run out of apple before running out of the other two:wink2:) Once your log is assembled, cover it with whipped cream into which some icing sugar has been sifted (just suit your own taste as to how much you like in there). Cover the log all over (ie top, sides and ends) and then put into the refrigerator overnight. Don't worry if the cream doesn't look such a pristine white the next day, it's just a little colour leaching into it from the biscuits. To serve, cut on the diagonal, as this shows off the striped effect of the biscuits and apple the best.

This recipe is yummy, easy (no actual cooking, just assembling) and looks good. :thumb_yello:

God that sounds rich! Is it very sweet? I imagine that you would need the cream just to cut the flavour of the pie!

I have a question though... What are Graham crackers? I'm sure I've asked someon before and not gotten an answer I could really relate to... I keep thinking "Are they like Digestive biscuits?" and the tricky thing there is that I don't actually know what digestive biscuits are, but whenever I hear about them they remind me of a biscuit we have called Granita.

*goes to have a little look see*

Edit: Just done some investigating... It sounds like I could substitute Granita's for Graham crackers as they are one of the classic biscuits used in cheesecake bases here in Australia.

It is rather rich, and yet it is so silky and fluffy that it melts in your mouth and it is like eating air or something. It is hard for me to describe. I really like it with the whipped cream.....then it is perfect!!

Okay, I had to go investigate graham crackers too and this is so funny I had to share: (from Wiki) "Though called a cracker, it is sweet rather than salty and so bears some resemblance to what Americans call a cookie and the British call a biscuit. The true graham cracker is made with graham flour, which is unsifted and coarsely ground wheat flour.

It was originally conceived of as a health food as part of the Graham Diet, a regimen to suppress what he considered unhealthy carnal urges" :shocked: Wow, might be a good thing for some of the MFC :naughty:

I think you are right about the Granitas, especially since graham crackers are used for cheesecake bases here. Oh, and here is a picture of the Graham Cracker: 180px-GrahamCrackers-001.jpg

Ginger/Apple Log

1 packet of gingernut biscuits

1 small tin pie apple

Roughly ?1/2 cup of orange juice (optional)

Whipping cream

Icing sugar (confectioner's sugar)

This recipe requires some forward planning as it has to sit in the fridge overnight to let the biscuit soften. If you have only a few hours, use the orange juice as it will help the biscuit soften quicker.

Mash the pie apple so it's less lumpy, but not so much that it's runny like puree. Take a biscuit, spread the back of it with some apple. Take another biscuit and sandwich it onto the back of the first biscuit. (If you are using the short-on-time/juice option, dunk the face of the second biscuit into the orange juice before sticking it onto the back of the first biscuit.) Spread the back of this biscuit with apple. It's easier to start with the first five or so biscuits in your hands and then to lay them down on to whatever plate you will be serving the log on. Keep applying apple and biscuit to build up your log until you run out of either biscuit or space on your serving plate. (I've never run out of apple before running out of the other two:wink2:) Once your log is assembled, cover it with whipped cream into which some icing sugar has been sifted (just suit your own taste as to how much you like in there). Cover the log all over (ie top, sides and ends) and then put into the refrigerator overnight. Don't worry if the cream doesn't look such a pristine white the next day, it's just a little colour leaching into it from the biscuits. To serve, cut on the diagonal, as this shows off the striped effect of the biscuits and apple the best.

This recipe is yummy, easy (no actual cooking, just assembling) and looks good. :thumb_yello:

Yum CD ! My mum used to make something similar called Chocolate Ripple Cake ! Same principle, only using Chocolate Ripple biscuits , no apple or juice & the layering is with the sweetened whipped cream aswell as the coating !

Oh .... & ruxi , next time you pop by here, can you tell me where you got the photo in your siggy from ?? Or a link ? I'd like a copy of the original !! :naughty:

i don't remember where i got the original picture from... i thought i got it from here:roftl: or maybe from the other forum.

i can send it to you so you won't have to look for it :wink2:

Here is the recipe:

Chocolate Silk Pie

Melt butter

Take out and cool

Pie:

4 large eggs

Directions:

Oh, thank you so much!

It really looks like the recipe I'm looking for, with the wipped cream and all!:wub2:

Sorry about the confusion about the digestive bisquits, but it's meant to be the same kind of crust you use with cheesecake.:thumb_yello: