Cooking with Chickadee - The Recipes Thread

Christine

:naughty: i remember i was sooo hungry when i made it. and i was thinking it has to be the most yummy thing i've ever made. now i think the bruschetti are :bleh:

offtopic: i love tony bourdain too. :thumb_yello: (at the begging i couldn't stand him, but i liked his show and then i started to believe he's goodlooking too :bleh:)

It's not completely off topic... he's a chef after all!

I had no idea who he was at first because we on't get his show... then artsyfartsy17 said that Adam Clayton reminded her of him and she sent me a pic of him... I'd post it, but it's not exactly appropriate to be posting on a forum! :naughty::das:

I think it might have to do with the fact that they both have grey hair... He's very good looking!

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not completely off topic... he's a chef after all!

I had no idea who he was at first because we on't get his show... then artsyfartsy17 said that Adam Clayton reminded her of him and she sent me a pic of him... I'd post it, but it's not exactly appropriate to be posting on a forum! :naughty::das:

I think it might have to do with the fact that they both have grey hair... He's very good looking!

:naughty: it makes me angry when i see him eating so much and he still looks good. though i heard he has cholesterol problems :thumbdown:

adam clayton? well... not the least resemblance for me... but i've never been good at comparing people :roftl:

you should search on youtube the show when he went to lebanon. it made me cry :sad:

P.S.: could you send me that pic on a PM? :drool:

P.P.S.: I DIDN'T FORGET ABOUT THE BRUSCHETTI i just had a lazy day

Vegan or vegetarian? And are you after main courses or baked goodies or what? My chocolate fudge cake recipe on the first page is vegan (no egg, no milk) and tastes scrummy!

Um vegetarian. I'm looking for things I can make for dinner:wink2:

These are vegetarian, but not vegan. They sound completely strange, but they taste very good!

Cheesy Oatburgers

125g (4oz) Cheddar cheese, grated

1/4 green sweet pepper, finely chopped

1 tomato, finely chopped

1 small onion, finely chopped

110g (3 1/2 oz) rolled oats

2 eggs, lightly beaten

45g (1 1/2oz) flour

oil for shallow frying

Combine cheese, green pepper, tomato, onion, oats, eggs and flour in a medium bowl. Mix well. Divide mixture into 6 portions and shape into patties. (Personally, I find this makes them way too big. I usually make 10-12 patties, just so they fit in the bread rolls better.)

Heat the oil in a large frying pan. Add the patties, pressing them down with a fish slice to flatten. Cook for 3 minutes on each side until golden. (I like them looking quite golden and crisp, so I cook mine for a bit longer. I guess it just depends on your frypan and where the hot spots are, as some will cook quicker than others.)

Serve each oatburger on a wholemeal roll with salad. (They don't have to be served in a burger. Like any other patty, you can do what you like with it. If you'd prefer to serve it on a plate with steamed veges and mashed potato or with salad and a pasta side dish or whatever, it's up to you.)

One of the benefits of these for me is that I don't have to turn the oven on, which is a blessing in summer.

I have good recipe for home made chocolate cupcakes:naughty:

1 1/2 cup of flour

1 cup of sugar

1 tea spoon of baking soda

1 tea spoon of salt

1/3 cup of coca powder

1/2 cup of vegetable oil

1 cup of water

1 teaspoon of vinager

Then you preheat the oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit and leave them in for 25 minutes, and then you can decorate them as you please:naughty:

Another vegetarian but not vegan recipe.

Bean lasagne

1 x 439g (14oz) can butterbeans drained

2 tblspn oil (I don't use this much oil myself, I think it's overkill)

2 onions, chopped

2 cloves garlic, crushed

1 x 397g (14oz) can chopped tomatoes

1 x 439g (14oz) can red kidney beans, drained

1 tspn Tabasco sauce or to taste

1 tspn dried oregano

(I add 1 grated carrot and 1 grated zucchini and 1 tspn dried basil to this part of the recipe although it's not in the original recipe)

250g (8oz) frozen chopped spinach

2 eggs, lightly beaten

(I add 250g natural yogurt and 100-200g feta to this part of the recipe although it's not in the original recipe)

9-12 no-need-to-precook lasagne sheets

125g (4oz) mature Cheddar cheese

2 tblspn grated Parmesan cheese

Preheat oven to 170 degrees C (325 degress F/Gas mark 3). Puree butterbeans in a blender or food processor, adding a little of the can juices if necessary.

Heat oil in a large saucepan. Add onions and garlic and cook for 5 minutes over low heat until softened. Stir in tomatoes, butterbean puree, red kidney beans, Tabasco and oregano (and grated carrot, grated zucchini and basil if you decide to add them). Bring to boil, lower heat and simmer, uncovered, for 10-15 mins until sauce has reduced and thickened. Set aside.

Cook spinach on the hob or in the microwave, following the package instructions. Drain excess liquid. Cool slightly, stir in eggs (and yogurt and feta if you want to add them) and set aside.

Lay a third of the lasagne sheets over the base of a large baking dish. Spread with one third of the bean sauce then add half the spinach mixture. Repeat layers, then top with remaining lasagne sheets and the rest of the bean sauce.

Sprinkle the cheddar and parmesan cheeses on top of the sauce. Bake for 45 minutes or until golden brown and heated through. Allow to stand at room temperature for 10 minutes before cutting.

Serves 6.

The reason I added the extra vegetables was partly to simply give it a few more vegies, partly for flavour and partly cos my son was really objecting to all the spinach! The reason I added the yogurt and feta was partly for flavour (I have a passion for spinach and ricotta or spinach and feta in things:blush-anim-cl:) and partly to add some extra creaminess and moisture, cos otherwise it seemed quite a dry lasagne.

We had a friend over one evening for dinner, years ago now, who was an avowed carnivore. Trouble was, he was dating a vegetarian. I can't remember if we told him before or after dinner that this was a vegetarian lasagne, but he loved it and took the recipe so he could make it for his girlfriend. I won't say it was the lasagne that did the trick but they've been married for about 6 years now.:wub2:

I have good recipe for home made chocolate cupcakes:naughty:

1 1/2 cup of flour

1 cup of sugar

1 tea spoon of baking soda

1 tea spoon of salt

1/3 cup of coca powder

1/2 cup of vegetable oil

1 cup of water

1 teaspoon of vinager

Then you preheat the oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit and leave them in for 25 minutes, and then you can decorate them as you please:naughty:

Hey, that recipe looks very similar to my chocolate fudge cake recipe. One of the good things is, you just chuck everything in the bowl and stir. No creaming of butter and sugar etc etc. I've often thought about trying to make it as cupcakes instead of the ring tin that it's usually made in, but hadn't got off my butt to try it. Thanks!

Hey, that recipe looks very similar to my chocolate fudge cake recipe. One of the good things is, you just chuck everything in the bowl and stir. No creaming of butter and sugar etc etc. I've often thought about trying to make it as cupcakes instead of the ring tin that it's usually made in, but hadn't got off my butt to try it. Thanks!

Really?! haha thats funny, you should try it and when they are done put white vanilla icing on it with a cherry on top:naughty::wink2:

Vegetable Pilaf with Almonds

2 tspn olive oil

1 onion, chopped

1 clove garlic, crushed

30g flaked almonds (I use whole ones myself)

315g (10oz) long grain brown rice

1 stick celery, chopped

125g (4oz) green beans, chopped

125g (4oz) courgettes, chopped (otherwise known as zucchini)

125g (4oz) broccoli florets

1 small green pepper, chopped

30g (1oz) currants

2 tspn grated orange rind

juice of 1 orange

600ml (1pt) boiling water

1 bay leaf

1 tblspn soy sauce

Heat oil in a large saucepan, cook onion for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add garlic, almonds and rice and cook for 2 minutes, stirring.

Add vegetables, currants, orange rind, juice, boiling water and bay leaf. Bring to the boil, then cover, reduce heat and simmer for 30mins or until rice is cooked. Add soy sauce and cook covered for a further 5 minutes. Remove bay leaf before serving.

Serves 4.

My family don't think this has enough flavour. I like it though. I suppose if you thought it was too bland you could always add some vegetable stock with the boiling water or something.... I think this is where people fiddle with recipes to suit their own tastes.:thumb_yello:

well these bruschetti are actually more like mini-pizzas:naughty:

so here it is: for the 2 slices in the picture below you will need:

2 slices of bread

2 small tomatoes

one green pepper

one onion

cheese (i'm a cheese, onion & parsley addict so you'll find loads of these in my recipes) - mozarella, blue cheese, cheddar, and so on

2 slices of salami/ham

olive oil

parsley

a bit of butter

you butter the bread a bit to become more tasty when it's toasted.

then you slice the onion, the tomatoes, the pepper and mix them altogether with a touch of olive oil.

you spread them on the slices of bread and add the cheese. if you use mozarella then make sure that's on top because it melts nicely. :naughty:

put the salami/ham and place the slices on the grill for about 10 minutes.

when it's ready sprinkle some parsley and it's ready to eat.

ENJOY IT :wink2:

i just ate these two and i want more :bleh:

IMG_0183.jpg

well these bruschetti are actually more like mini-pizzas:naughty:

so here it is: for the 2 slices in the picture below you will need:

2 slices of bread

2 small tomatoes

one green pepper

one onion

cheese (i'm a cheese, onion & parsley addict so you'll find loads of these in my recipes) - mozarella, blue cheese, cheddar, and so on

2 slices of salami/ham

olive oil

parsley

a bit of butter

you butter the bread a bit to become more tasty when it's toasted.

then you slice the onion, the tomatoes, the pepper and mix them altogether with a touch of olive oil.

you spread them on the slices of bread and add the cheese. if you use mozarella then make sure that's on top because it melts nicely. :naughty:

put the salami/ham and place the slices on the grill for about 10 minutes.

when it's ready sprinkle some parsley and it's ready to eat.

ENJOY IT :wink2:

i just ate these two and i want more :bleh:

IMG_0183.jpg

If I hadn't just had some toast, I'm sure you would have just made me ravenous. I'm rather partial to pizza and pizza-topping-flavoured things... hehe.

If I hadn't just had some toast, I'm sure you would have just made me ravenous. I'm rather partial to pizza and pizza-topping-flavoured things... hehe.

:naughty: i just had another one made with loads of blue cheese :drool:

I love this cake. It's dense and moist and tastes divine. Lemon curd is also called lemon butter, but if you called the cake "lemon butter cake" everyone would think it was a lemon flavoured butter cake, and that's not what it is.

Lemon Curd Cake

1 1/2 cups flour

3 tspns baking powder

1/2 cup custard powder

1 cup sugar

1/2 cup lemon curd (lemon butter)

3/4 cup milk

3 eggs

150g soft butter

Icing sugar

Sift flour, baking powder and custard powder into a mixer bowl. Add sugar, lemon curd, milk, eggs and butter. Beat on medium speed for 7 minutes. Pour into a baking paper-lined 20cm cake tin. Bake at 180 degrees C for 50 to 60 mins or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Serve dusted with sifted icing sugar and lemon curd sauce.

Lemon Curd Sauce

1/4 cup lemon curd

1/2 cup natural unsweetened yoghurt

1/2 cup whipped cream

Mix lemon curd, yoghurt and cream together.

I've never bothered to make the sauce, even when I've made it as a dessert cake. It's just gorgeous by itself. It makes a great cake to sell at cake stalls, if you need to be doing that.

• 2 weeks later...
Hello gals! I was thinking to come on to this thread to see if someone could recommend a great punch recipe. Fruit punch. To go in a punch bowl. Non-alcoholic preferably. :blush-anim-cl:

I can, but it won't help you much, cos one of the main ingredients is only available here in Australia (as far as I'm aware).

You don't get Golden Circle products in Canada, do you?

I can, but it won't help you much, cos one of the main ingredients is only available here in Australia (as far as I'm aware).

You don't get Golden Circle products in Canada, do you?

My computer sucks (keeps freezing up and I'm always needing to refresh it by hitting ctrl + F5).

What's the ingredient similar too?

Just in case you can....

My Dad's Punch recipe

1 can (850ml) Golden Circle Sunshine Punch

1.25L lemonade

1.25L dry ginger ale

1.25L red creaming soda

1.25L orange-flavoured soft drink

Put Sunshine Punch into punch bowl and add the lemonade and dry ginger ale. The red creaming soda and orange-flavoured soft drink are very sweet so add a bit of each until it tastes right to you. (I like my punch sweet, so I'd add the whole lot, but others don't. Half the fun of making punch is continuous sampling to make sure it tastes just right!:naughty:)

Nobody in our family really likes floating bits of fruit in their punch, so I don't add tinned fruit salad or frozen fruit pieces, but I know other people do.