1983 - The Year Mika Was Born

Suzy

So, in celebration of Mika's birthday, I started to think what I may have been up to in the year he first entered the world....:naughty:

I was 11 that year - so probably riding my bike and hanging out with neighbourhood kids until it got dark, then watching an episode of Fame (my favourite tv show at the time).

1983 was the year Michael Jackson's hits like "Beat It" and "Billy Jean" hit number one on the Billboard Music Charts.

The Eurythmics released "Sweet Dreams" - how appropriate. :naughty:

What do you remember? Ha - some of you weren't even a figment of your parents' imaginations. :bleh:

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I got a degree in Agricultural Engineering and a job that took me down the sewers of Darlington.

I'm impressed you can remember songs- or did you look them up?

Well...I had a little help from Wikipedia:bleh:. But I did own the "Thriller" album and I do remember Annie Lennox used to scare me. :blink:

Back then I was still in the making...the finished product came out 8 years later:roftl:

Gosh. I'm sure glad I didn't have to work that hard to make my kids. :blink:

I was born 10 years, 8 mouths and 22 days later .

So . . . My mother was 19, my father was 21, they were daiting . They would marry 5 years later (19 Septembre 1988) and my brother would born 6 years later (15 October 1989) . Finally 11 years later me (10 May 1994). :bleh:

What do you remember? Ha - some of you weren't even a figment of your parents' imaginations. :bleh:

OK, this should be entertaining... :wink2:

The first weekend of August 1983, my HUSBAND and I (yes, I was already married then) moved into our first house together. We had just returned

from our first trip to Europe the previous month. So I imagine around

18 August 1983 I was knee-deep in unpacking boxes and painting and

fixing up the new abode, which was in the suburbs of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.

I was driving a blue Pontiac Sunbird (which I called Sunny).

My favorite music at the time was mostly what they were calling

"New Wave" -- I was listening to everything from Duran Duran,

Culture Club, Eurythmics, Depeche Mode, New Order, Bronski Beat, The Cure,

to Paul Young, Howard Jones, Human League, and was just starting

to hear about this new singer named Madonna.

And I was working as a technical writer at a bank.

I had no idea where I would be 25 years from that point... I probably

thought I'd be dead! I never expected to live past the year 2000! :naughty:

dcdeb

Thank goodness, dcdeb came to post something she remembered - I was starting to think I was the only one who existed this evening among all the Younglings.

Queenie - I loved Flashdance .... at the time. :naughty:

Funny :roftl: And highlights our age, ahem!

I was 12, and had just moved back to Spain to live in Barcelona after spending 7 years around the world (Netherlands, then Argentina and then again NL in a different city).

So 83 was just after we moved back "home".....I remember the furore that videos had caused, and we used to have a big VIDEO 2000 thingie that one could flip the cassettes in...Those were the days of the big Beta versus VHS war that VHS would win hands down.

I also remember Michael Jackson and Eurythmics, and especially this Mexican singer that I was properly OBSESSED with called Luis Miguel. :roftl:

Fame was a major favourite, I was obsessed with the actress Lori something, the one that was also in the movie Footloose, and in love with Dani (was that his name? the italian kid).

Eurovision was a personal highlight of the year, so was this TV show called St Elsewhere, and all the Police Academy movies which cracked me up. Does anyone remember Tackleberry?????

HAHAHA

Sweet memories.

In August I would have been on school holiday, most likely going to the beach.

The most popular boy name in 1983 was....

*drum roll* .....

.... MICHAEL.

Surprise. I'd would have changed it to "Mika" too if I knew millions of other baby boys were cramping my style.:naughty:

Fame was a major favourite, I was obsessed with the actress Lori something, the one that was also in the movie Footloose, and in love with Dani (was that his name? the italian kid).

I actually owned a "Fame" shirt and secretly hoped that I would one day go to a school of performing arts too - where everyone would instantaneoulsy break into a perfect song and dance routine in the cafeteria. :naughty:

Erno Rubik was granted U.S. Patent 4,378,116 on March 29, 1983, for his toy:

rubix-cube.jpg

Oooh the Rubik cube!! The must have accessory! Mine had a good nummber of loose bits from taking it apart so many times, as I could never finish the last side :roftl:

I also tried removing the stickers but that was very noticeable :naughty:

I actually owned a "Fame" shirt and secretly hoped that I would one day go to a school of performing arts too - where everyone would instantaneoulsy break into a perfect song and dance routine in the cafeteria. :naughty:

oooh :shocked::roftl: Sweetness :roftl: