1983 - The Year Mika Was Born

Suzy

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually owned a "Fame" shirt and secretly hoped that I would one day go to a school of performing arts too - where everyone would instantaneoulsy break into a perfect song and dance routine in the cafeteria. :naughty:

you mean that really didn't happen.... it was just for the tv show? :shocked:

1983! The year I left university and moved down to London to start a "proper" job.

I had £200 to start me off in my new life. I shared a very small flat with a friend of a friend who I hadn't met before (who hated me for 6 months before deciding I might not be the antichrist after all - we ended up good friends and are still in touch). My share of the rent was £20 per week.

And for my first weekend in London, I was taken to the Notting Hill Carnival :yay:

I had just turned 15 when Mika was born and remember all the music vividly. It was only a few weeks after my first front row experience at a Rick Springfield concert which ignited a passion that persists to this day.

That year I was listening to Michael Jackson, Prince, Eurythmics, Thomas Dolby, Stray Cats, Culture Club, Def Leppard, The Police, Billy Idol, Duran Duran.

I was madly in love with an English drummer who said I looked like Annie Lennox. :roftl:

I also had a crush on a boy who looked identical to Carlo Imperato who played Danny on Fame.

Did I mention I was boy crazy? :naughty:

in 1983 i was already living in montreal with hubby-to-be & i had just got a job in the equipment control department for an international steamship company.

i listened to michael jackson, madonna, prince, supertramp & i loveddddd john mellencamp... :wub2:

oh and i had my first pet... a cat named sassy :blush-anim-cl:

i was 11. I started playing cello, started going to Music School.

I was in Grade 6 and I got diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis.

It was the First year I have ever been to the Orpheum theatre in VAncouver. The second time was to see MIKA at the Orpheum ( 1983 is special, no?).

I had a crush on so many boys then...my menstrual cycle began that year too.

I was a early bloomer so all the boys picked on me. I was already at max height then , 5'8"! We lived on a 450 acre farm over looking the mountain.

in a tiny shack. I performed in my first Opera as pit orchestra cellist, we performed Benjamin Britten's Noahs Flood. my parents were going through a divorce. I got bitten by a Dog and almost lost my leg. I did my first computer programming too! and the first time I used the internet ( yes had special access to the internet in 1983...

quite the adventure for being 11!!

LOL, my eldest sister was one years old that year. My middle sister was born August 16th 1984 so.....she wasn't even conceived then LOL, and I was born 23rd July 1989. So I was still an eggy weggy!

Which means that when I was born, Mika was 5, but turning 6 the next month.

Bless :wub2:

The most popular boy name in 1983 was....

*drum roll* .....

.... MICHAEL.

Surprise. I'd would have changed it to "Mika" too if I knew millions of other baby boys were cramping my style.:naughty:

LOL, that's why my kids are gonna have uncommon/foreign names :naughty:

When I was born (1989) "Victoria" was very popular. My parents couldnt decide whether to call me Caroline or Victoria, so they had a vote. Caroline won, obv, and THANK GOD. I like having an uncommon name. I feel as though I'm more unique this way LOL

Erno Rubik was granted U.S. Patent 4,378,116 on March 29, 1983, for his toy:

rubix-cube.jpg

That came out way before 1983. I remember solving it and my Grade 7 teacher thought it was a trick. Must have been 1980/81.

:thumb_yello: hello Christine - did you enjoy it? I must admit I didn't really want to go, but I'm glad I did.

I actually stumbled upon it by accident. I was at Kensington Palace on the first anniversary of Princess Diana's death and ended up in the middle of things when we left the park.

Toronto has a similar festival called Caribana which is a lot of fun too.

Did I mention I was boy crazy? :naughty:

I wasn't really into boys yet. I was a tomboy. Although I did get my first training bra and I was a head taller than a lot of my friends - I hardly grew much more after that (that includes the training bra). :naughty:

However, I can boast about having the best long jump distance at the track and field meet that year.

I was into friendship beads and "Scratch & Sniff" sticker collecting.

100_1452.jpgsniffstickers.jpg

I wasn't really into boys yet. I was a tomboy. Although I did get my first training bra and I was a head taller than a lot of my friends - I hardly grew much more after that (that includes the training bra). :naughty:

However, I can boast about having the best long jump distance at the track and field meet that year.

TRAINING BRA LMAO! Sorry, but it reminds me of this comedian Lee Evans...

"training bras, I don't get them! I mean, how do you train them? What happens if you don't use a training bra? Are they wild? Can you imagin walking down the street and seeing a woman running along going "HELP ME THEY'RE WIIIILLLLLD!!!" ??????"

LMFAOOOOOOOOO :roftl: *is trying to find youtube link*

So, in celebration of Mika's birthday, I started to think what I may have been up to in the year he first entered the world....:naughty:

I was 11 that year - so probably riding my bike and hanging out with neighbourhood kids until it got dark, then watching an episode of Fame (my favourite tv show at the time).

1983 was the year Michael Jackson's hits like "Beat It" and "Billy Jean" hit number one on the Billboard Music Charts.

The Eurythmics released "Sweet Dreams" - how appropriate. :naughty:

What do you remember? Ha - some of you weren't even a figment of your parents' imaginations. :bleh:

Oh, I was a figment :sneaky2::roftl:

TRAINING BRA LMAO! Sorry, but it reminds me of this comedian Lee Evans...

"training bras, I don't get them! I mean, how do you train them? What happens if you don't use a training bra? Are they wild? Can you imagin walking down the street and seeing a woman running along going "HELP ME THEY'RE WIIIILLLLLD!!!" ??????"

LMFAOOOOOOOOO :roftl: *is trying to find youtube link*

:roftl: :roftl:

I never thought of it that way! LOL! Prehaps it meant to "train" my emotional psyche to accept the fact that this meant one day , they might be used for somethin'... i dunno... "wild" I guess. Ya know...like...

...breastfeeding... :naughty:

Well, my brother was born four days after Mika, and my mom never even imagined my existence because I was still 8 years, 4 months, and 16 days away. lol I do know that my brother had a strawberry shortcake doll. (He denies it though.):naughty: That could have been a few years later though.... idk

:roftl: :roftl:

I never thought of it that way! LOL! Prehaps it meant to "train" my emotional psyche to accept the fact that this meant one day , they might be used for somethin'... i dunno... "wild" I guess. Ya know...like...

...breastfeeding... :naughty:

oh yeah, breastfeeding is WEEEELLL wild bruv!

chavvy guy: Yo yo yo homie it's sat night yeah *chavvy hand gestures* we're gon go sell sum drugs yeah? dan th' highstreet yeah bruv, it's gon be wiiickeeeed, ev'ryone getin' high and all that sh*t! It's gon be wiiiilllld! What you doin that's wiiiiild bruv?

you: Breastfeeding.

That year I was listening to Michael Jackson, Prince, Eurythmics, Thomas Dolby, Stray Cats, Culture Club, Def Leppard, The Police, Billy Idol, Duran Duran.

I was madly in love with an English drummer who said I looked like Annie Lennox. :roftl:

Ooh, nice taste in music:punk:

He said you looked like Annie? I have to see a picture! :roftl:

Oh my godddd!!! Friendship beads!!!! My shoes were full of them in 1983. Remember how you also had to fold your jeans to get them as skinny as possible and tuck them into your big slouchy socks? Or was it still stirrup pants in 1983? It's all running together.

Let's see... I would have been 9, and had a poster of Michael Jackson on the wall. I was going to marry him, btw. I said goodnight to him and kissed the poster every single night. (Kids, there was a time when MJ was human-looking, and even cute.) It quickly gave way to Chachi though, and then the Karati Kid... that was later though I think.

I believe that was also the year that my mom rented a projector from the library for my birthday party, and we watched Duffy Moon.

Oh! I think I probably also had a Cabbage Patch Kid at that point. Vintage! Old school cabbage patch! The originals. Back in the day where you had to queue to buy them and then they'd be sold out before you got to the front of the line.