1983 - The Year Mika Was Born

Suzy

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, I was the only one that wasn't an ooops...

I think I might have been an Oops. I mean, my eldest sister is 7 years older than me and my middle sister is 5 years older so there's quite an age gap, plus my dad had a vasectomy after I was born. LOL. Not saying I am, but that's the impression I got. I'm not offended though lol, I mean look at me - I'M ALIVE! :biggrin2:

Other things that happened in 1983:

# War by U2 was released

:yay:

(I didn't get really into U2 until 1987 and Joshua Tree though)

# The game show "GO!" premieres on NBC. (This means absolutely nothing to me, except it happened on my b'day!)

That's okay, I've never heard of it either :naughty:

# The De Lorean Motor Company ceases production (I seriously want a De Lorean! Blame Back To The Future!)

A friend of mine owns a DeLorean! Yes, he is trapped in a 1985 time warp. :naughty:

5 years later, she had made up with her family and had become a housewife instead of an actress, but her life was "pleasantly interrupted once more" as she puts it, by the event of my birth.:biggrin2:

Ah, the benefits of youth. Everything turns out right in the end. :thumb_yello:

OK, this should be entertaining... :wink2:

The first weekend of August 1983, my HUSBAND and I (yes, I was already married then) moved into our first house together. We had just returned

from our first trip to Europe the previous month. So I imagine around

18 August 1983 I was knee-deep in unpacking boxes and painting and

fixing up the new abode, which was in the suburbs of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.

I was driving a blue Pontiac Sunbird (which I called Sunny).

My favorite music at the time was mostly what they were calling

"New Wave" -- I was listening to everything from Duran Duran,

Culture Club, Eurythmics, Depeche Mode, New Order, Bronski Beat, The Cure,

to Paul Young, Howard Jones, Human League, and was just starting

to hear about this new singer named Madonna.

And I was working as a technical writer at a bank.

I had no idea where I would be 25 years from that point... I probably

thought I'd be dead! I never expected to live past the year 2000! :naughty:

dcdeb

:punk: great music!!

I love the stories about what were doing when certain event was happening.

Once my dad gave to me a "Day I Was Born Newspaper".. There was nothing relevant :boxed:

I think I might have been an Oops. I mean, my eldest sister is 7 years older than me and my middle sister is 5 years older so there's quite an age gap, plus my dad had a vasectomy after I was born. LOL. Not saying I am, but that's the impression I got. I'm not offended though lol, I mean look at me - I'M ALIVE! :biggrin2:

Phooey! My brother was born in 1942 and me in 1962- do the math!

Mom raised one kid through war and rationing and another in the swinging 60s

Sariflor- how could I forget VIDEO. I got one with my first paycheck (ish) VHS thank heaven. How could we allow it to happen again with HDVD and Blu-ray?

And someone said MTV. I didn't actually get that till 2001. (I saw it for the first time in Texas 1984)

And how come no-one's mentioned Bruce Sprinsteen? My ears were still full of The River in 1983 though it came out in 1982.

I was frightened of U2 until quite recently (they were so politically confident) though I saw them right down the bottom of the bill while at uni. The coolest person on the planet was still Elvis Costello.

Well another REAL oldling here....:wink2:

I might need to write an essay!

I can remember 1983 very well. I was the Student Club Chairman for my College at Uni. (The position was affectionately known that year as "Chairslag". I still have the T shirt.:naughty: )

Living in College dominates all my memories of 1983...what a year it was.

I was a rower, and there was a campaign to keep the "slags" (women) from using the mens rowing shell. (We eventually won the right to use it in later years, and went on to win the University regatta.)

My boyfriend at the time was a school teacher and the men's rowing coach (he was the whole reason I actually started rowing) and on the very day of Mika's birth, in my box of old diaries, I can see it was a pretty non-descript day...I drove my BF to the airport for him to go on a school trip to Noumea. I was on second term holidays.

In 1983 I finished my Political Science degree and my thesis about the Life Be In It campaign... about 2 months after it was actually due. Nobody ever got as many extensions as I did. The ads were Aussie classics at the time

That year Suzi Quatro played at our College Ball. She was a "has been" even then:naughty:. We joked about liking her in Primary school!!

One of the big songs of the year in College was Elton John's "I'm still standing"...people used to sing it at the drunken end of numerous parties...

The vid is priceless ...almost mika-esque...it will have you in fits...

Other songs we listened to that year and adopted as our own were

The Stones: If you start me up (from 1981 actually)

INXS: Don't Change (1982)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMrL_4NyQr0

Moving Pictures: What about me (1982) (Aussie group)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zawR7VYNdNg

and ironically Sweet Dreams by the Eurythmics!!

Talking Heads : Burning down the house (I preferred Road to Nowhere 1985)

Dexy's Midnight Runners: Come on Eileen

Ultravox: Vienna (from 1980)

UB40: Red red wine

Duran Duran

Frankie goes to Hollywood: Two Tribes

Skyhooks: You just like me coz I'm good in bed (another Aussie classic)

Madonna's first album came out a couple of weeks before Mika was born!

This is "Holiday" (my god the hair!!):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkHW7Sy1ZV0

Risky Business (Tom Cruise in his underwear) also came out in '83...which contributed to Raybans popularity....

Had enough??

I've had a nice reminisce, thanks Suzy!!:naughty:

# The Ash Wednesday fires in South Australia and Victoria - the worst fire in Australia's history

Oh yes, I stood up in the tower of my college, and could see the red dust and smoke covering the whole of Melbourne that day!

One more: Australia won the Americas Cup (sailing) and the boxing kangaroo flag was everywhere...as well as the Men at Work song, Down Under. (First win in 132 years...Bob Hawke was PM at that time and declared the day a public holiday)

OK bed for me!!

<cut>

...as well as the Men at Work song, Down Under.

I have an Auntie Eileen and she HATES that song.:naughty:

Stuff I know about 1983 from the Popmaster quiz on Radio 2:

Some top hits:

Club Tropicana-Wham!

and that Men At Work song Blue Sky mentioned.

Other stuff:

Breakfast TV started in February '83

France won the Eurovision song contest.

The UK no.1. single on August 18th was KC and The Sunshine Band-"Give It Up"

My parents hadn't even met then:bleh:

24th October 1994 is me.:bleh:

I have an Auntie Eileen and she HATES that song.:naughty:

Stuff I know about 1983 from the Popmaster quiz on Radio 2:

Some top hits:

Club Tropicana-Wham!

and that Men At Work song Blue Sky mentioned.

Other stuff:

Breakfast TV started in February '83

France won the Eurovision song contest.

The UK no.1. single on August 18th was KC and The Sunshine Band-"Give It Up"

My parents hadn't even met then:bleh:

24th October 1994 is me.:bleh:

I know this is way off-topic, but where's that quote in your siggy from? Is it from an actual episode of Dr. Who, because I've never seen it and would love to.:mf_lustslow:

In 1983, I was 8 years old until I turned 9 in November. At the beginning of the year, I was finishing 3rd grade and looking forward to learning multiplication and long division when the summer was over.

That summer, there were art classes for children at the community center, so I learned to make pottery, make a fabric lined basket, and paint flowers onto wood.

My family situation got unspeakably weird. Something unspeakably bad happened. I blamed myself for it though there is really no way I could have prevented it. My life was never the same.

I started 4th grade, moved to a new town, transferred schools twice, and began to write poetry and stories while drawing an endless series of bizaare monsters. My mom threw away my drawings, so I stopped drawing. I found out I wouldn't get to learn long division until 5th grade, so I got frustrated with math and stopped doing my homework. Nothing in the world could stop me from writing.

1983 was a very long year for me.

Oh my life. I wish I could hug you, really.

I can't believe your mother threw your drawings away. Please start drawing again, I'm sure they're fab!

I turned 3 in November that year so I don't remember much... I was still living in Montreal (moved to the suburbs in 1985.)

Celine Dion was already popular here with this song : http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=yM7VibC_tpc

My mom says I was in love with Boy George (even had posters in my rooms:wink2:) and it's that year that my fav song was release: Kharma Chameleon.

And I probably already owned my red hair Cabbage Patch Kid!

I turned 3 in November that year so I don't remember much... I was still living in Montreal (moved to the suburbs in 1985.)

Celine Dion was already popular here with this song : http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=yM7VibC_tpc

My mom says I was in love with Boy George (even had posters in my rooms:wink2:) and it's that year that my fav song was release: Kharma Chameleon.

And I probably already owned my red hair Cabbage Patch Kid!

i liked her dancing much better back then... oh wait... she didn't move on that video.. that's why!!! :roftl::roftl:

I was very busy in 1983...

baby.jpg

Great thread Suzy!!

Lots of memories in here.

I turned 6 in 1983 and I was in Grade Prep at school (which is after kindergarten and before Grade 1 ). I would've been playing with cabbage patch dolls, wearing leg warmers and riding motorbikes.

On august the 18th in 1983 I already existed :mf_rosetinted:

BUT I was still in the belly of my mummy

I was born 66 days after MIKA

An I looked like this a little while later:

l_0b2ab96e1ffad12b195fd09560ff316e.png

Righto... Meeks was born on the 18th of August... I was 2 months, 5 days off being born!

My birthday is the 23rd of October for those who have a little trouble counting... and Starrats is born on the exact same day too!

Other things that happened in 1983:

# War by U2 was released

# Wearing seatbelts became mandatory in the United Kingdom! :naughty:

# The Ash Wednesday fires in South Australia and Victoria - the worst fire in Australia's history

# The U.S Embassy is bombed in Beirut, killing 63 people.

# Sally Ride becomes the first American woman in space, on the Space Shuttle Challenger.

# The Nintendo Entertainment System goes on sale in Japan

# Australia wins America's Cup.

# Microsoft Word is first released.

# The game show "GO!" premieres on NBC. (This means absolutely nothing to me, except it happened on my b'day!)

# Pope John Paul II visits his would-be assassin Mehmet Ali Ağca in prison to forgive him

# Michael Jackson's world famous music video for "Thriller" is broadcast for the first time. (2 December)

# Flashdance and Return of the Jedi are box-office hits.

# McDonald's introduces the McNugget (Happy Brithday McNuggets!)

# The De Lorean Motor Company ceases production (I seriously want a De Lorean! Blame Back To The Future!)

# Superman 3 was released (possibly not a good thing... it's not great, but it's got Christopher Reeve in it )

The year Mika was born, I was giving birth to my own baby! He's called Steve and he teaches Breakdancing at a dancing school. He was born in June, 2 months before Mika.

Phooey! My brother was born in 1942 and me in 1962- do the math!

Mom raised one kid through war and rationing and another in the swinging 60s

Sariflor- how could I forget VIDEO. I got one with my first paycheck (ish) VHS thank heaven. How could we allow it to happen again with HDVD and Blu-ray?

Well another REAL oldling here....

I might need to write an essay!

I can remember 1983 very well. I was the Student Club Chairman for my College at Uni. (The position was affectionately known that year as "Chairslag". I still have the T shirt. )

Living in College dominates all my memories of 1983...what a year it was.

I was a rower, and there was a campaign to keep the "slags" (women) from using the mens rowing shell. (We eventually won the right to use it in later years, and went on to win the University regatta.)

My boyfriend at the time was a school teacher and the men's rowing coach (he was the whole reason I actually started rowing) and on the very day of Mika's birth, in my box of old diaries, I can see it was a pretty non-descript day...I drove my BF to the airport for him to go on a school trip to Noumea. I was on second term holidays.

In 1983 I finished my Political Science degree and my thesis about the Life Be In It campaign... about 2 months after it was actually due. Nobody ever got as many extensions as I did. The ads were Aussie classics at the time

That year Suzi Quatro played at our College Ball. She was a "has been" even then:naughty:. We joked about liking her in Primary school!!

One of the big songs of the year in College was Elton John's "I'm still standing"...people used to sing it at the drunken end of numerous parties...

The vid is priceless ...almost mika-esque...it will have you in fits...

UB40: Red red wine

I've had a nice reminisce, thanks Suzy!!:naughty:

Loved those songs!

In 1983, I was 8 years old until I turned 9 in November. At the beginning of the year, I was finishing 3rd grade and looking forward to learning multiplication and long division when the summer was over.

My mom says I was in love with Boy George (even had posters in my rooms) and it's that year that my fav song was release: Kharma Chameleon.

Wow - cute baby pics in this thread too...It's pretty amazing to read about everyone's memories of the year and the history lessons (Tegan:naughty:) your passing on to all the Younglings are pretty neat too.

A friend of mine owns a DeLorean! Yes, he is trapped in a 1985 time warp. :naughty:

I soooo want a De Lorean!

They're soooo cool! :naughty:

Wow - cute baby pics in this thread too...It's pretty amazing to read about everyone's memories of the year and the history lessons (Tegan:naughty:) your passing on to all the Younglings are pretty neat too.

No probs Suzy... doing my part to edumacate the younglings!

i don't remember anything of it but according to this pic i went to the zoo with my parents around that timeScannen0003.jpg

sorry for the bad quality but the pic is 25 years old :naughty:

i'm the little one i was almost 2 years old then and still blonde:naughty:

I have such good, clear memories of 1983...I was 14, and it was the year I first felt like a real teenager..going to discos, getting crushes (but no boyfriend :naughty:), discovering my real musical preferences, experimenting with fashion..aah happy days!!

1983 was a really hot summer here in England..that was when we used to have summers, before global warming :blink:

I have some funny photos of me somewhere in full 80s regalia but unfortunately (or maybe fortunately!) my scanner isn't working :fisch: