Starting a Mika Fan Club in the Real World

superstar

A friend who recieved about her 1 millionth Mika lecture/drool from me recently suggested starting a Mika Fan Club outside of MFC.

I think it would be amazing to be able to talk about Mika with other fans outside of MFC, face to face, that live in my city.

She said that when she was little (1980's-ish) she was president of a fan club for a band. She got sent free stuff/posters/records!!

I was wondering if anyone has experience with starting a fan club and making it 'official' (as in getting free stuff). She told me to look on Mika's website, but there is nothing on it about a fan club.

Has anyone started one of these before? How did you advertise? When did you meet activities etc etc??

:thumb_yello:

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For you to start up a branch of the "official fanclub," there first of all has to be an official fanclub.

Which is... us. Except not really, because even though we're now officially "owned" by Mika, nothing else has been done yet.

Mika and management haven't yet been able to get themselves organized enough to get anything off the ground.

So while you may be able to get Mika fans together in your city, good luck getting any free stuff. :naughty: Mika keeps saying he's working on making us into an actual fanclub, but even if he gets his people working on it right away tomorrow, I'd say we have to wait several months before we see anything realized.

Btw, the "free stuff" isn't entirely free. Artists do send free merchandise to fanclubs, but that's in return for running promotions and stirring up publicity. Otherwise, stuff is paid for by membership dues.

I mentioned starting up a "branch" of an existing official fanclub as opposed to being the president of the entire thing because I doubt you want to actually be the president of the official Mika Fan Club. First off, you likely can't, unless you intend to somehow take over MFC. But also, it is pretty much a lot of work. Here are some basic guidelines if you're curious though:

http://www.ehow.com/how_3348_start-fan-club.html

http://members.aol.com/lknafc/nafc/startfc.htm

I don't know how old you are but I don't think you want to bother with setting up a separate bank account and contacting the IRS about the fanclub tax status and so forth.

--Jack

For you to start up a branch of the "official fanclub," there first of all has to be an official fanclub.

Which is... us. Except not really, because even though we're now officially "owned" by Mika, nothing else has been done yet.

Mika and management haven't yet been able to get themselves organized enough to get anything off the ground.

So while you may be able to get Mika fans together in your city, good luck getting any free stuff. :naughty: Mika keeps saying he's working on making us into an actual fanclub, but even if he gets his people working on it right away tomorrow, I'd say we have to wait several months before we see anything realized.

Btw, the "free stuff" isn't entirely free. Artists do send free merchandise to fanclubs, but that's in return for running promotions and stirring up publicity. Otherwise, stuff is paid for by membership dues.

I mentioned starting up a "branch" of an existing official fanclub as opposed to being the president of the entire thing because I doubt you want to actually be the president of the official Mika Fan Club. First off, you likely can't, unless you intend to somehow take over MFC. But also, it is pretty much a lot of work. Here are some basic guidelines if you're curious though:

http://www.ehow.com/how_3348_start-fan-club.html

http://members.aol.com/lknafc/nafc/startfc.htm

I don't know how old you are but I don't think you want to bother with setting up a separate bank account and contacting the IRS about the fanclub tax status and so forth.

--Jack

THANK YOU!!

Yes, of course I don't want to take over the MFC! :roftl:

I might just start one at my school, and wait for Mika to see when we can expand or something.

Thanks!!

A friend who recieved about her 1 millionth Mika lecture/drool from me recently suggested starting a Mika Fan Club outside of MFC.

I think it would be amazing to be able to talk about Mika with other fans outside of MFC, face to face, that live in my city.

She said that when she was little (1980's-ish) she was president of a fan club for a band. She got sent free stuff/posters/records!!

I was wondering if anyone has experience with starting a fan club and making it 'official' (as in getting free stuff). She told me to look on Mika's website, but there is nothing on it about a fan club.

Has anyone started one of these before? How did you advertise? When did you meet activities etc etc??

:thumb_yello:

You know, I never even wrote a fan letter when I was teenager... back

when dinosaurs roamed the Earth... maybe they didn't have such things as

fan clubs back then? :naughty:

But seriously, I had my favorite singers and bands, but it never even

occurred to me to join a fan club. Mostly because I didn't want to have

to pay for it -- and most of them seemed to require some money, at

least... I wouldn't know how to begin to go about starting up one!

Ouch. Hit a sore spot there, Jack! :annoyed_h4h:

I would hang around and see what Mika does in the near future:thumb_yello:

*siiiiigh* I've been waiting... and waiting... and waiting... :wink2:

But with reading this, it made me think, if ever I *was* going to join

a fan club, it would be now and it would be Mika's!

And what would I like to get for joining it? I would like free stuff --

I'm a little too old to appreciate

a poster, but free music would be cool... what else would we want

to get from a real Mika Fan Club? :blink:

Hey, it's Friday night, I've got nowhere to go, nothing to do, I'm

just daydreaming... :drinks_wine:

dcdeb

Thanks everyone!

Yes, it makes sense to wait until Mika's career as a musician matures a bit to wait until starting a fan club. But I might consider beginning one at my school.

And there's been some confusion about the 'official' bit. I don't think it meant what i wanted it to mean...It sounded different in my head, but now that it's on the page i see that it doesn't mean the same thing as i thought it would.

And of course, when it's a good time to start a fan club, i sure hope a personal hand-written letter from Mika will be included! :naughty:

Love, superstar