The Grunge Era: Nirvana!

BonjourMika1990

I didn't know until recently that 'Smells like Teen Spirit' was actually named after the deodorant.

(from Wikipedia: However, one of its biggest boosts came from the grunge band Nirvana's "Smells Like Teen Spirit," a song that was inspired by a friend of lead singer Kurt Cobain, Kathleen Hanna (lead singer of the punk band Bikini Kill at the time), spray painting "Kurt smells like Teen Spirit" on his wall (because Tobi Vail, Hanna's band mate and Kurt's then-girlfriend, wore Teen Spirit). At the time the song was released, Cobain had no idea that the brand even existed; when he did find out, he was rather upset that the song had been named after a line of deodorant.)

I liked the Strawberry one.

Ohh...I just assumed. At least that's what I always thought of when I heard the song.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ohh...I just assumed. At least that's what I always thought of when I heard the song.

I never knew that. I always thought of sweaty football players after a big game, and how they reek. Football = team spirit, which always reminded me of 'Teen Spirit'. So if you reek, you smell like teen spirit.

Whatever. I never paid gobs of attention to it.

Haha, you're much more perceptive than I am. I heard it and was like, "Oh that's the deodorant they passed out after the puberty movie in fifth grade."

I didn't go to fifth grade. I didn't get a stupid puberty movie.:sneaky2:

It's all right. The puberty movie really didn't matter because I had already started puberty before that. I seriously thought I was dying because I didn't know that "I was becoming a woman."

I like how I've completely intruded in on this thread to talk about deodorant and puberty.

The following is too much information (TMI), but I'm going to tell Kourtney anyway:

I didn't know what was happening to me, either. I thought I'd NEVER get my period. Then the night I did I had super cramps (later I was diagnosed with Endometriosis) but my mom thought I was constipated, so she gave me laxatives. So I had the runs, AND bad cramps, AND my period all in one night. Horrible.

Man, am I glad you told me that. :mf_rosetinted:

When I started mine, I started bawling and stayed in my room all day then when my mom came home I told her good-bye because I really did think I was dying. Then she started crying and it was a great mother-daughter bonding moment straight out of a Lifetime movie.

I remember when Grunge broke out and I agree, it really blew up at a point and Nirvana was hugely popular...so I certainly don't disagree with you there. I won't speak for anyone else, of course, but I'll just leave it in saying I really don't get the craze. I certainly don't see Kurt as a genius...however, I know other people might think otherwise.

I agree... I was never that into Nirvana... or grunge at all actually... I was more of a pop tart...

Though some of their songs are okay... Come As You Are is pretty good...

I was at a Take That concert when Kurt died, guess that pretty much states my opinion on Nirvana :mf_rosetinted: I didn't like them one bit, but I still know what I did when he died, cause I'm of "that" generation and they were that important :blink:

Strange how people think of where they were when someone dies...

I remember my sister saying about how a lot of girls she went to school with could remember exactly where they were when River Phoenix died...

All I know about Nirvana is that all of their hardcore fans bitch about how much "Smells like Teen Spirit" sucks.

I used to use that deodorant though.

There's a doedorant??? :lmfao:

In this case I feel heroism and genius are intertwined. People consider him a hero because they think what he did was genius.

Let's just agree to disagree because no matter how many arguments you use, I don't and never will think he's a musical genius.

The fact that you do feel that way is your choice and your opinion.

Luckily opinions differ, otherwise the world would be a boring place.

Also, I don't think Mika is a hero by any means, nor a genius.

IMO, a hero is someone who risks their life to save someone else (or something along those lines)...

And as much as I love Hanson, U2 and Mika, none of them are heros... they do some good work (esp Hanson and Bono), but I really don't think that's heroic...

The following is too much information (TMI), but I'm going to tell Kourtney anyway:

I didn't know what was happening to me, either. I thought I'd NEVER get my period. Then the night I did I had super cramps (later I was diagnosed with Endometriosis) but my mom thought I was constipated, so she gave me laxatives. So I had the runs, AND bad cramps, AND my period all in one night. Horrible.

Muwahaha.

Omg that just sounds horrid!!

When I got mine the first time I told my mum "I got my period" and she gave me tampons. :naughty:

Suicided in name of his ideals? Like Jesus? Wth? I shouldn't even comment on this. The comparision is just surreal.

What ideals? What did he bring to the world except for a few songs?

He was pissed at becoming commercial, fair enough, there were other ways to deal with that without leaving a Baby daughter behind. Great ideals.

He was just depressive and ****ed up in the head because of the cocaine he sniffed. No ideals there.

i honestly want to throw up. i cant believe how judgemental you

can be.

and you are talking about the drugs,lol, how small, it only proves that one can be totally ****ed up without taking

any.

and -kurt cobain a christic figure-, your asking *what the hell?* the hell,

in this case is something called sociology.

now this saddens me to the highest point that a thread first decicated to the love of music turned out into some hateful place where suicide and religion and **** no one knows about are being *discussed*

oh and what did he bring to this world? LOL

well to you apparently nothing, to me much more and poetry...something that obviously he would have continued to work on to, since one of his last work was a collaboration with william burroughs.

i hope i die before i become anyone like you

Yeah, I think maybe it would be best to move away from the issue of suicide and religion. I stated my stance on both topics, but others might be a bit offended.

and Pam is right in saying that this thread was intended to celebrate Kurt/nirvana/grunge/music. Though of course, I don't mind hearing others opinions.

So, I don't know what I'm saying anymore:naughty:

anyways, I LOVE NIRVANA:wub2:

Maybe it's just a USA thing?

41BqFLD6voL._SL500_AA280_PIbundle-6,TopRight,0,0_AA280_SH20_.jpg

That it is...

But I want some... It's so pretty! And there's shinies on it! :naughty:

Just so I can say I smell like teen spirit! :naughty:

I think people need to take a chill pill... relax people... talk about the music, cause it's quite obvious that you're never going to agree with each other...

Anyways, I'm gonna leave you guys to talk Nirvana...

I hate labels like genius or hero. For me KC was really like a Jesus Christ.

Am I allowed to say that?:mf_rosetinted:

Oh noes, what would Andries Knevel say about this!?

(You're not gonna get what I'm talking about but trust me, it's funny. :mf_rosetinted: )

I hate labels like genius or hero. For me KC was really like a Jesus Christ.

Am I allowed to say that?:mf_rosetinted:

Well since you and Pam posted in the atheist thread you didn't believe in catholicism... you'll agree you think Jesus Christ was overrated... since Jesus is overrated, and KC was like a Jesus Christ for you, KC is also overrated. (that's basic mathematics)

So, why did we actually start a fight? We all agree!! :bleh::bleh:

Diana, that was funny indeed :naughty:

P.S. This is irony, of course. I'll state it before someone says I am judgemental or abusive, or that I am waging a personal war , or that I'm satan in disguize, or that I have sthg against people from Lichtenstein, or that I can't actually spell Lichtenstein (this last thing would actually be the truth tho :naughty:)

Well since you and Pam posted in the atheist thread you didn't believe in catholicism... you'll agree you think Jesus Christ was overrated... since Jesus is overrated, and KC was like a Jesus Christ for you, KC is also overrated. (that's basic mathematics)

So, why did we actually start a fight? We all agree!! :bleh::bleh:

jesus existed . as a man, not as the son of god though, he wasnt divine... he was married and had children and was hanging around with whores and outcasts... so...jesus is a strong figure to my eyes...and

he is absolutely not overrated for me

oh and i dont think you were just being ironic about saying he was just a loser sniffing coke with no ideals, i do think you meant it from your heart and FTR he was more into heroin than coke but it was a very small part of his life.

jesus existed . as a man, not as the son of god though, he wasnt divine... he was married and had children and was hanging around with whores and outcasts... so...jesus is a strong figure to my eyes...and

he is absolutely not overrated for me

Too bad you didn't quote the P.S. but well;)

See we eventually agree. For me, Jesus was not the son of god, he was, and it is stated so in the Bible, the son of Man.

Call him a "prophet" or just a guy with a strong message. You wanna call Kurt that too, fair enough, I can understand that comparison then.

But just like you criticized christians for being untolerant towards atheists when you acknowledged somehow Jesus's message didnt connect with you, you have been intolerant to nirvana non-fans who thought Kurt's music was "respectable" but "overrated" and that his message didn't connect with them.

That's my whole point, it's been from the start.

Reply to your edit:

No I wasn't being ironic about Kurt being high on drugs and depressed when he suicided. It wasn't an attack tho. I have nothing against junkies, trust me, I've known too many of them not to understand where they came from. But that doesnt make them heroes, nor role models.

Too bad you didn't quote the P.S. but well;)

See we eventually agree. For me, Jesus was not the son of god, he was, and it is stated so in the Bible, the son of Man.

Call him a "prophet" or just a guy with a strong message. You wanna call Kurt that too, fair enough, I can understand that comparison then.

But just like you criticized christians for being untolerant towards atheists when you acknowledged somehow Jesus's message didnt connect with you, you have been intolerant to nirvana non-fans who thought Kurt's music was "respectable" but "overrated" and that his message didn't connect with them.

That's my whole point, it's been from the start.

i didnt criticize any christians...i feel very christian myself...and to quote Marylin Manson(no, dont laugh,lol) I feel more christian than many christians...

i want to insist on the fact that i was really talking about a christic figure in a sociological way, like i talked about the gladiator figure regarding rock pop stadium singers...

and for the edit...your post was awful, your fisrt post, and the opposite is true too, just because people take drugs it doesnt make them some ****ed up losers

No it wasn't awful.

I said you couldn't say that he suicided for his ideals just like Jesus.

Because

1) Jesus didnt commit suicide.

2) I question Kurt Cobain's ideals. I'm not trying to be mean... I'm just saying you can't really compare HIS message to the message of a Jesus, or a Ghandi, or a Luther King.

Besides, I do believe drugs pushed him to suicide, yes. Because yes, that ****s up your head and can push you to focus on the negative aspects of your life even more. Drugs are no escape, they might be for a while, but they just end up making it worse.

Rah you keep editing after I post so i have to edit myself lol.

I didn't say he was a loser.

I said he was ****ed up in the head. That's no attack in my mouth lol. I have much respect for some people who also are ****ed up in the head, trust me.