Ahh!! I am feeling so overwhelmed!!

Ankmet20

So, I severely broke my ankle a few weeks ago and I can't put any weight on it, so that was fine for a while, but now I am heading off to college for my freshman year in a wheelchair, and it seems they don't really know how to handle it!!

I am only 18 and freaking out because I have never been on my own, and I am terrified and having panic attacks instead of being excited abouft college. I emailed them about transportation because freshman don't get cars on campus and its been all "well...we don't know if we can take you there..." and I think I will be in a bus with other kids who aren't injured. but...my leg doesn't bend certain ways and I will be in the way...oh lord...

and I am still pretty slow on crutches! Plus, what i have to freakin crawl up stairs to get anywhere fast, and what if there is a big hop from the ground to the van?! And showering and going to the bathroom even with crutches will be hard..oh I am so scared. I am getting so down in the dumps about this. and then in an email the transportation people said they hadn't had a student in a wheel chair for years that they had to cart around. I feel like such a burden. My twin will be there with me but it seems as of late I am the last thing she wants to deal with...:tears: I have no one to talk to about this so I decided to post it here..because I am pushing tears everynight now. I tried talking to my advisor, and I thought my mom had emailed her about my injury but she hadn't and the advisor gave me a bit of a lecture on "your an adult now, do not have your mom do stuff for you." sigh.

:tears: :tears:

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

*struts in* I is heeerrre.

Aw. Kris, I cant say I knwo how you feel, cuz I dont, and I cant assure you that everything will be fine because I am so clueless and know nothing about college. But all I can say is that I am the same way every school year, i cry myself to sleep the last week of summer because I am so nervous and it ends up being fine. So just stay positive is all I can say.

*struts in* I is heeerrre.

Aw. Kris, I cant say I knwo how you feel, cuz I dont, and I cant assure you that everything will be fine because I am so clueless and know nothing about colledge. But all I can say is that I am the same way every school year, i cry myself to sleep the last week of summer because I am so nervous and it ends up being fine. So just stay positive is all I can say.

thanks for your honesty and kindess :huglove:

I hope once we actually get rolling everything will work out...:boxed:

ahh.jpg

:wink2:Don't worry!!! Look this is just a test to show how tough you are, show everyone and most importantly yourself that you can make it through this. Look at thing on the bright side and stop saying you're a burden!!!! nonsense!!!! everyone needs help once in while!!!!

:wink2:Don't worry!!! Look this is just a test to show how tough you are' date=' show everyone and most importantly yourself that you can make it through this. Look at thing on the bright side and stop saying you're a burden!!!! nonsense!!!! everyone needs help once in while!!!![/color']

aww thanks, see thats what my mom keeps telling me, because I seem to have a pride issue of being independent...like trying to get doors open while going through them and holding them open without help...it doesn't work. but I get so humilated.

Haha, how is your ankle feeling though by the way?

it actually feels somewhat okay, besides the giant wounds from the surgery, which sting, it feels good. I got a new pink and black striped cast today and it felt so gross when it wasn't in the cast, so incredibly weak. and I couldn't curl my toes.

hi there!

i don't know exactly what you are going through, but i can tell you about my experience with someone who had to be in a wheelchair and then crutches.

when my son was 16, he broke his femur playing football. he was lucky and didn't need pins in his leg, but he had to be in a cast for 6 1/2 weeks. his cast was from the hip to his toe. his leg did not bend. he was in the hospital for a few days.

this happened in june, so he had to go to school to write his exams in a wheelchair & on heavy medication for the pain (deritive of morphene).

we took him to school by car, but a few times he had to take the bus. people on the bus helped him up & put the wheelchair on the bus for him. the travelling was not easy, but he managed. he took the entire seat for his leg, he had no choice. but he was very surprised to see how many people were willing to help him. even strangers. :wink2:

he could not use a regular desk at school, so he wrote his exams in his wheelchair and had a piece of wood to use as a table.

by the time summer started, he was on crutches (3weeks about). he got good quite fast on crutches. his leg lost so much muscles, that we had to take him 3 times to change his cast. he went for intense physiotherapy to rebuild his muscles.

but he had one goal, which was to play football again. and he did!

he broke his femur June 10 & he was on the football field september 28

starting center for his team. he had the approval of his doctor and physiotherapist. it happened 2 years ago & believe me, we still remember everything he went through. and by the way, he still plays football. :wink2:

i know it isn't exactly the same thing as you are going through, but believe me when i tell you that people will help you. don't be afraid to ask either!!!!

there is nothing wrong with asking people to open a door for you. strangers pushed my son's chair around at his school. i also understand that if you are away from home, it is a little scary. but you can do it!!! can your mom talk to your twin and ask her to help you out a bit too?

chin up! there is a pot of gold at the end of your rainbow :blush-anim-cl:

big motherly hug to you xxxx

aww thanks, see thats what my mom keeps telling me, because I seem to have a pride issue of being independent...like trying to get doors open while going through them and holding them open without help...it doesn't work. but I get so humilated.

it actually feels somewhat okay, besides the giant wounds from the surgery, which sting, it feels good. I got a new pink and black striped cast today and it felt so gross when it wasn't in the cast, so incredibly weak. and I couldn't curl my toes.

I had a cast on my arm/finger and it felt the same way, but at least you are out of that gross smelling cast and in a new one! casts smell horrible after awhile.

Hi Ankmet20

You have my sympathy - it is difficult enough going to college whout the extra pressure of having to cope with a broken ankle.The problem at the moment is you have too much time to think and worry, and that can be very stressful.

I'm sure you will cope, and you will find that people are very kind and helpful when they see what you are trying to deal with. I broke my arm in May - not a big deal, except I was on holiday on my own at the time and 150 miles from the nearest friend/relative. I had lots of help from first aiders in a local shop, taxi drivers (to and from the hospital) and the breakdown truck man who had to ferry me and my car back home.

Try to stay calm and positive - remember you will get better in time.

XX N