Any atheists ?

Pam Travers

• Replies 538
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been all my life.

lol, you say it so solemnly (or whatever you spell it)

its okay you know, its not a cross to bear,lol

you are not baptised?

P.S. do you think it could be we are just two? i know greta is, of course, so maybe three...

maybe we could write poems or songs, wat you think

i start ok, you will add stuff if you feel inspired, ok?

godless

ageless

H O L Y

so, to you its just what it is. so, are you saying, if to you it is a belief in nothing, then to you its nothing.

so you believe in nothing.

well, you're back to square one.

you might want to redefine yourself.

to me its the definition i put as a link, what they say on wikipedia is what i think, there is nothing more to say, i dont believe in those gods that men made through history for geo-political reasons, thats all...but if you are here to cause a fuss or to despise my religious view....well, please leave.

and...im clearly defined, thanks.

heey, i'm not trying to cause a fuss and i DO want to be fair and DO NOT want to start a fight. i just want to discuss peoples religious veiws and i think when they post a link to wikipedia and say THATS what i believe, instead of putting it in their own words, is rather sad.

another thing i want to say: i dont despise anyone. i dont know you and i'm not going to hate you for what you believe, ok? :-)

if you say you're clearly defined, thats ok, i'll respect that.

heey, i'm not trying to cause a fuss and i DO want to be fair and DO NOT want to start a fight. i just want to discuss peoples religious veiws and i think when they post a link to wikipedia and say THATS what i believe, instead of putting it in their own words, is rather sad.

another thing i want to say: i dont despise anyone. i dont know you and i'm not going to hate you for what you believe, ok? :-)

if you say you're clearly defined, thats ok, i'll respect that.

may i ask, in you're opinion, how do you think the world came into existence?

oh then i hope i ve been more personal by telling you that i didnt believe in those gods men made through history for geo-political reasons.

for the creation of the world, of course you can ask me : the wolrd came to existence by the process of thermonuclear reactions, cells colliding, bang!

thats what i think.

Dear racinghorse83,

You started off by asking what atheists believe in general. When you could not discern the beliefs of the author of this thread in order to show how those beliefs might be confused or wrong, you requested to know about the person's personal thoughts about religion. When that did not go the way you planned, you posted a link to a site that attempts to prove the veracity of fundamentalist claims about God (and does so with poor logic and an even worse understanding of simple biology, physics, statistics, and logic.)

This is the standard script used by all evangelical Christians who hope to "lead people to Christ" by convincing them that their understanding of the world is lacking/flawed/wrong.

There is a thread where you may speak with your Christian peers about your Christian beliefs. Please do not come into a thread where someone is looking for peers of their own (whatever their beliefs or lack thereof) and attempt to convert that person/those people. It is intrusive and rude no matter how compassionate your intentions.

Respectfully,

riverstwilight

P.S. The only personal belief I have shown in the writing of this message is a conviction that the tactics of evangelical fundamentalist Christians are intrusive no matter how well intentioned they are. My knowledge of science, math, and logic is academic. My faith, or lack thereof, is not something I care to discuss publicly.

:bow: :bow: Yes exactly 100%

I read your whole link (but zoned out in the sins-whatever paragraph). For the most part, this is a stupid argument, and the person who wrote it doesn't at all understand biology, etc, like rivers said. One thing - yes, sure, we can't know there is no God. But we know evolution is correct, so I'd rather just listen to logic and science and not some stories with no proof what-so-ever. To your question - an athiest doesn't believe there is some greater being that has control over the universe. Or that's what I think anyway.

I usually say I'm agnostic, but basically I'm atheist. Ie, I prefer to say "agnostic" since I do believe we can't know whether there is a God or not, but I don't believe in any personified God of the Judeo-Christian-Muslim kind. So, despite the fact that I might allow for the theoretical existence of some kind of "God," since I don't practice any active belief in such a being, have seen no positive proof to indicate this being's existence, and don't subscribe to any religious doctrines, that makes me very little different from atheist, in practical terms.

The link provided by racinghorse is, um, really stupid, because if theists can get away with asking "if X is made, there must be a maker," then they should also have to answer how God came into being. If God Just Did, well then, the universe Just Did. At least the universe doesn't have any pretensions of consciously determining all existence.

--Jack

agree 100% with jack. but i'm not sure what i am. i mean i've been baptised but i don't pray and i've made a written note at my school so i'm not into the religion classes, mostly because people come up with weird and creepy ideas, that sometimes made me wonder if THEY have a god. my dad chose to deny the existence of any superior creator force- as in God, and my mum is pretty religious.

i don't know if there's a god and to be honest i don't think much about it. i just think that darwin's theory is more believable. (people tend to say that i stick to simpe logical explanations because i don't want to admit that there are things we don't understand but we should believe them.)

anyway...i sometimes go to churches with my mum.. but i usually admire the architecture and paintings and i don't get spiritual about it.

i've always wondered whether being an orthodox made me think like this... because i believe it's such a restrictive and yes sometimes humiliating religion (but that's just my point of view).

and i should stop now because usually i make people angry when i talk about my beliefs.

in the end... i consider myself and atheist..like 80% :naughty:

well this post turned out to be longer that i'd expect it to be.

I'm still baptized, but I sent a letter to the church I was compelled to receive what I didn't choose to cancel it. At least for the non trascurable civil effects it brings to be recognized as an Italian Catholic.

They didn't respond to my request...ok, I'll contact the Privacy Authority

I can't read your links (:naughty:) but I don't understand (unless it affets you in some physical way to be labelled Catholic).

I was baptised, or christened, or something (well, someone put water on my head when I was a baby), buuut ... to me it was just someone putting water on my head - what do I care? :bleh:

I usually say I'm agnostic, but basically I'm atheist. Ie, I prefer to say "agnostic" since I do believe we can't know whether there is a God or not, but I don't believe in any personified God of the Judeo-Christian-Muslim kind. So, despite the fact that I might allow for the theoretical existence of some kind of "God," since I don't practice any active belief in such a being, have seen no positive proof to indicate this being's existence, and don't subscribe to any religious doctrines, that makes me very little different from atheist, in practical terms.

:blink: The names confuse me a bit, but honestly I don't really care which I am :naughty:

The link provided by racinghorse is, um, really stupid, because if theists can get away with asking "if X is made, there must be a maker," then they should also have to answer how God came into being. If God Just Did, well then, the universe Just Did. At least the universe doesn't have any pretensions of consciously determining all existence.

Yeah exactly :naughty:

I am.

IMO life would be much more easier if there were no gods, and if people didn't do (mostly bad) things in god's name.

I do understand that some people need something, or someone to believe in, maybe this makes their lives easier and more bearable. I don't know.

But I personally prefer science and its explanations of how the world was created, etc...

So, I'm not the biggest fan of religions in general, but what I really despise are their institutions. Like catholic church, for example.

its okay you know, its not a cross to bear,lol

you are not baptised?

No, not baptised. My parents were never religious and I don't think their parents ever took them to church either. One of my grandmothers was atheist as well.

godless

ageless

H O L Y

Beautiful! :thumb_yello:

i think when they post a link to wikipedia and say THATS what i believe, instead of putting it in their own words, is rather sad.

Atheism is, by definition, a lack of belief in a deity. That's it. There's no more or less to it so I don't know why you think it's "sad" to point to Wikipedia. Anyone whose beliefs run beyond a simple lack of belief wouldn't call themselves an atheist.

I don't believe anything when it comes to religions or gods. In talking to theists I realize this is a hard concept for them to grasp although I've never been able to quite figure out why.

I'm sure you don't believe in Roman gods, so just imagine applying those lack of beliefs to the Judeo-Christian god and every other imaginable god and you've got atheism.

I actually dont know what i am ... i think im a little in between both , because no matter what the truth is about god/or a lack of , there is always 2 sides to the coin , in my personal opinion of what came first -- the chicken or the Egg. So im open to interpretation , which will be based on my own knowledge and personal experiences in my life. Personally i see that any type of religion is either based on facts OR wanting to believe , and its all down to opinions based on experiences or theoretical knowledge within a persons life.

No i dont think its fair for people come in a thread and try to change someones opinion/religion based on thier own , for example , were always saying everyone is entitled to thier own opinion on this fanclub when relating to mika , well its the same with religion. However , i dont think people MEANT to do that as an intention , and its a shame different religions/beliefs cant come together and listen to each others own interpretation without being sent to different threads like when people chat about mika. I personally believe in total open mindedness and peoples opinions , maybe if this was done more in the world there wouldnt be so many holy wars.

The Chicken and the egg theory can make me SOMEWHAT atheist , because its something noone and myself will ever know and all religions are in that same boat, whether that be chrisian , roman catholic , atheist whatever. However there is another side to me that DOES believe that there is SOMETHING greater (i dont know what and neither will anyone) but based on personal experiences in my life that have been spiritual , i do believe to a certain extent. For some people it can be classed as a therapy to believe that there is something "better" out there , especially for people who may have had a hard time in life, but that to me doesnt mean peoples opinions should be changed no matter what side of the coin. So maybe i am Half atheist , because all religion to me is just an 'opinion' as there are no facts. But its also nice to believe and it can be considered somewhat a comfort , whereas some people may be comfortable not believing ... i dunno , im just going to live my life believing in what 'I' find to be true , ill soon find out in 50 or so years time whether worms will JUST eat me in the ground OR if i theres a part of my energy that will live on :) ... im an inbetween-y , actually what the heck am i ?? :roftl: Meh lifes to short anyway , im just gonna live it while im here :naughty::thumb_yello:

That was just my opinion by the way , i respect everyones beliefs :thumb_yello:

I am an agnostic

i am not quite sure about anything~:mf_rosetinted:

If I had to label myself, which I don't usually, I guess this would be

true for me, too. I'm not convinced 100 percent

either way that there is or is not one god.

My faith, or lack thereof, is not something I care to discuss publicly.

This is generally true for me as well. Discussions about religion and politics

usually end in tears, in my experience...

But I don't think Pam started this thread to be a discussion about religion

as much as she was looking for like-minded MFCers, as a sort of counterpoint

to the Christians thread...

dcdeb

Oh, cool, a thread for me!:)

Well, both my parents are baptised (but they're not practising Christians), but they decided not to baptise me and my brother because they thought we had the right to choose. I'm very thankful for that.

Nearly all my friends are believers, and I don't care, it's their opinion. But I had many problems with a girl once, cause she wanted me to believe and we had rows and stuff... So as long as no one tries to change my believes, I'm ok with them ^^.

Once, a friend asked me: "How can you cope? You don't believe in anything, so, what do you do when you're afraid, or alone, or have problems?". And I said that I believed in love and friendship and that I believed in myself and had trust in my family and friends. They help me when something's wrong.

I hope I won't hurt anyone by telling that story... Sorry if I do.

So, I was having lunch with a girl (she's not really a friend, but anyway) and we started talking about religion. And I knew it would end up in an argument. I tried not to say too many things, but the girl was one of the "I-want-you-to-believe-" kind, so it was pointless... She asked "What's your purpose in life? When you'll be dead, there will be nothing, that's what you think...?". Because for her, after death, there's eternal life. So her purpose in life is to have eternal life (erm, sounds awkward...). And I couldn't help myself and said that I didn't want to live for the eternity and that I was enjoying my life even though I don't know why I'm here and why all the other human beings are here. I want a family, I want to travel, I want to be with my friends and then, die. Eternal life?? How boring...

As for the "how the world came to live", well, I try not to think to much about it, cause after all, no one will ever know and as someone said before, life's short... We'd better live it. I think, but it's my opinion, again, sorry if I hurt someone, I think it's a bit easy to say "God created the world". For me, it's an answer one found to be reassured and just to have an answer. I don't have any answer (well, the big bang thing...), but I can live with that.:)

Finally, I wanted to say that the link that has been posted, the coke and banana thing, is completely stupid and immature... Again, it's my opinion.

Sorry guys for this long essay, but I like writing and I kinda like sharing my opinion about stuff like that...