Any atheists ?

Pam Travers

• 5 weeks later...
  • Replies 538
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't believe in god ... I never have really ... the last two weeks haven't really changed my view at all :( My Mum was only 65 ... it wasn't her time yet ... we had tons of plans and places we wanted to go ... are you telling me there is a god somewhere who decided it was her time ... I won't swear ... but ....

imho there isn't any "hand of God" behind what happens to us..we only habe to accept what we cannot change & try to make our living as good as possible..guess it's just better to be careful what we believe in.. it's demonstrated positive thinking helps living peacefully.. with body mind & spirit in the better state, which is also the natural one I guess. What I don't really like about some religions stuff is the sacrifice/martyrdom concept..

I was just reading..

In 1971, astronaut Edgar Mitchell was the sixth person to walk on the moon. Since then he has cultivated an interest in matters that hard-core fundamentalist materialists like to call "the paranormal."

He once asked Buddhist lama Norbu Chen to attempt a psychic healing of his mother, who was legally blind. Norbu's magic worked. Mom's sight returned, and she was ecstatic.

A few days later, however, she made a discovery that horrified her: Norbu wasn't a Christian like she was. "My mother believed that if such healing didn't come from a Christian," says Mitchell, "then it must come from Satan, and she didn't want to be healed by Satan."

She soon had a dramatic relapse, completely losing the gift Norbu had bestowed. (Source: Kindred Spirit magazine, Summer 1997)

Edited by greta
I'm not really "here" xD gotta work on my caotic distractive mind xD

I haven't been to church in ages .Does it mean I'm a atheist ?

no, you're an achurched :teehee:

what a waste of buildings. :mf_rosetinted:

I wish all the churches would be confiscated & given for free to those in need. Or make some museums / luxury resorts out of them.

there you go with the money, no need to take euros from silly italians that forgot to donate to others in the fiscal declaration :aah:

I haven't been to church in ages .Does it mean I'm a atheist ?

It means you are lazy :bleh:

Seriously - do you believe in a higher power of any kind? that's the decider - not going to church or not :thumb_yello:

This might help you :thumb_yello:

http://www.humanism.org.uk/humanism/humanism-today/non-religious-beliefs

Edited by Naectegale

I don't believe in god ... I never have really ... the last two weeks haven't really changed my view at all :( My Mum was only 65 ... it wasn't her time yet ... we had tons of plans and places we wanted to go ... are you telling me there is a god somewhere who decided it was her time ... I won't swear ... but ....

:huglove:

Humanists believe that we can live on in other people's memories of us, in the work we have done while alive, or in our children. Your mum will live on in your memory and those of your brothers and of her friends :huglove:

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

I think Atheism is a sort of religion too. I'd rather say I simply don't believe in any God but in the good and in the bad within every human being

• 11 months later...

I am one who stumbled upon this thread.

As to the poster directly above me, who probably won't see this: I don't follow the logic of atheism being a religion. That's like saying not collecting stamps is a hobby, to me.

I don't follow any specific beliefs out there, beyond the lack of belief in a higher power. That's all. Like the previous poster, I believe we all have good and bad within us, it's up to us to decide which we will choose. But unlike a number of the atheists I've seen online in various fora, I don't mock people for their religious beliefs. It's up to each of us to make that decision for ourselves. My daughters were all raised without a formalized religion, mainly because I saw the ultraconservative shift religion was taking here in the United States, and wanted no part of it. I let them discover those things that resonated within them, and find what they felt was right. So now I have two agnostics and one Lutheran-leaning-turned atheist in the family - and I love them all equally.