FIMO/Sculpey/etc...anyone?

Mary

I don't work with Sculpey myself, but I do know of stampers who use it to make their own unique embellishments for their cards and other stamped art. They get the shape of the piece they want, then press a stamp into it to get the impression they want (bold line stamps work best). I don't know whether they colour the pieces before or after they bake them, but I know some of them rub metallic rub-on (which is like the texture of cream rouge) onto the pieces to highlight the image and then mount them onto their card. I don't know whether or not you have to seal the piece before you mount it, and I also don't know if you have to do anything like smear a little vaseline on the Sculpey to help the stamp release after you've pressed it in. It's a whole branch of stamping on it's own!

Yep! 15-20 min, with temperature 150ºC and it's done!

There are some concerns, though.

Once the clay is being "baked", it releases some vapors that are toxic. Of course it doesn't kill you, but still, it's better to let the oven open for 1-2 hours after baking the objects, before using it to cook.

And some tips, for example, I always cover the pieces with that aluminum foil paper, so that the beads or whatever I'm making don't get literally "toasted". First time I made beads with clay, they got black on one side...LOL :naughty:

I know that some people use a separate little toaster oven that they keep just for their Sculpey. They don't cost very much.

I also remember some of them talking about how they coloured their Sculpey with powdered metallic pigments like Pearl-Ex. I'm presuming you just manipulate it through the Sculpey like you work powdered food colouring through royal icing. But this conversation was about five years ago, so I'm really not sure. Does this sound right? I suppose the other way you could do it would be to paint it after it was baked? Using gum arabic with the pearl-ex.

Hmmmm. You've got me thinking now. I might have to go do a little searching...

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 1 month later...

I know that some people use a separate little toaster oven that they keep just for their Sculpey. They don't cost very much.

I never thought of that! It's such a good idea!

My newest creation

THE CUPCAKE KEYCHAIN :naughty::mf_rosetinted:

DSC00929.jpg

:wink2:

WOW! I love that keychain, it's so awesome! Very cute :thumb_yello:

No problemo:wink2: It's seriously so cool :)

It looks so professional- I could see it for sale in a store (I would but one if I saw it). :thumb_yello:

You should think about selling your stuff :naughty:

That was one of the nicest things someone has said about my stuff. Thanks a lot! :wub2:

I'm thinking of selling some things, but I'm still trying to see the best way to do it. :wink2:

• 2 weeks later...

I used to make stuff out of fimo but i can't anymore I can't find a store here in hull that has it:thumbdown: i hope I can find somewhere that has it I'd love to make some lollipop charms

cool keychain & owl!!

btw I can't see the pics on the first page :thumbdown:

Edited by DarkLight

I was thinking about the cupcake keychain today. (:naughty:).

And I was thinking...I need to get me some of this clay stuff.

Oooh, you really should get some! :thumb_yello:

*thinks of the Awesome MFC Clay-Jewellery Factory*.........again! :naughty:

I used to make stuff out of fimo but i can't anymore I can't find a store here in hull that has it:thumbdown: i hope I can find somewhere that has it I'd love to make some lollipop charms

cool keychain & owl!!

btw I can't see the pics on the first page :thumbdown:

Thanks. :wink2: Here I find it a bit difficult to get, too. Don't know why, I used to get it very easily. :blink:

The pics that used to be on the first page are these:

post-35-142983678996_thumb.jpg

post-35-142983678998_thumb.jpg

post-35-142983678999_thumb.jpg

post-35-1429836790_thumb.jpg

post-35-142983679001_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mary

Oooh, you really should get some! :thumb_yello:

*thinks of the Awesome MFC Clay-Jewellery Factory*.........again! :naughty:

Thanks. :wink2: Here I find it a bit difficult to get, too. Don't know why, I used to get it very easily. :blink:

The pics that used to be on the first page are these:

ohh i LOVE the lollipop & bracelet that's exactly what I wanna make a lollipop & turn it into a charm!!!

ohh i LOVE the lollipop & bracelet that's exactly what I wanna make a lollipop & turn it into a charm!!!

Funny, I'm working on a lollipop keychain (or cell phone charm, I'm not sure yet).

When it's finished, I'll post a pic. :wink2:

Funny, I'm working on a lollipop keychain (or cell phone charm, I'm not sure yet).

Cool! I can't wait! If it's anything like the cupcake keychain and the other stuff you made, it's going to uber awesome! :thumb_yello:

cool:thumb_yello: i can't wait to see it:punk: i bet it'll be great just like the other stuff you've made:punk:

• 3 weeks later...
I saw this link in the Mika Clothing Link thread.

And, Mary, this necklace reminded me of the cupcake keychain you made. And this necklace as well.

I just noticed that it looks as if they're made out of Fimo. What a coincidence. :aah::bleh::lol3:

OMG your read my mind!!! :roftl:

I was just checking that website and drooling over those things! So cute!!! I wish I could make such perfect charms! Love them!! They sure seem to be made of FIMO or any other kind of clay. :mf_lustslow:

I'm glad they reminded you of my stuff! :blush-anim-cl: I'll take that as a huge compliement!

I need to have that website in my favourites, to check for new inspiration from time to time! :naughty: Really amazing stuff!

OMG your read my mind!!!

I was just checking that website and drooling over those things! So cute!!! I wish I could make such perfect charms! Love them!! They sure seem to be made of FIMO or any other kind of clay.

I'm glad they reminded you of my stuff! I'll take that as a huge compliement!

I need to have that website in my favourites, to check for new inspiration from time to time! Really amazing stuff!

That's right, I read your mind. :hypo:

I know, some cute stuff on there! You could totally make things like that (you alreday have!). :wink2::thumb_yello:

You're very welcome. :wink2:Yes, a compliment for sure! :thumb_yello:

Good idea. :naughty: You'll make some really cute things, I'm sure. :punk:

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

BUMP!

:naughty:

My latest "adventure" - rings!

I actually made 3 (all different) but I forgot to take pics of the first two :blush-anim-cl:

Here's the last one I made, a birthday present to a friend of mine:

post-35-142983680459_thumb.jpg

BUMP!

I actually made 3 (all different) but I forgot to take pics of the first two :blush-anim-cl:

Muita xiro, boss!:thumb_yello:

Parece o Rato Mickey, com as orelhas...:naughty:

Tens um jeitao!:thumb_yello:

Mostra mais...

BUMP!

Oh cool! That is so cuuuute! :thumb_yello: