Mika in US Star Magazine

Fmbm

WELL, for whatever it's worth, this aired on "Jimmy Kimmel Live"

Thursday evening . . . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEfudV0Z_F8&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x402061&color2=0x9461ca&border=1

+

MIKA singing soundtracks have been used in several recent films or

film trailers; . . . such as:

+

also to promo "Ugly Betty" TV Show.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cepdYK6GEFU&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b&border=1

&

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, those who fear Mika will become super popular due to a couple mentions in tabloids that take up a few inches on one page should rest assured that this won't be picked up on by the majority of the population. I know that I sometimes glance at the covers at the grocery store when I'm bored waiting to check out, and countless others don't even bother doing that. In any case, the majority don't hang their every word on what's written on those pages, and most times they probably don't even look at them.

In order to achieve success in the US, Mika has to be more than someone who peeks his head out only once in a while. Those artists who are on the tips of everyone's tongues are constantly doing publicity, touring extensively, and putting out new material that keeps more than just the hardcore few interested... horizontally integrating their image so that you can buy a billion posters and other pieces of merchandise that constantly scream the artist's name at you and everyone else. They shout, "BUY! LISTEN! BUY!" And once that ritual stops, they tend to be forgotten about (except by the major fans) until they pump out the next thing.

Perhaps Mika is happy being less known here. If it were that heartbreaking to him that the average person on the street doesn't know who he is, he'd be working super hard to continue to putting himself out there in the US. Maybe he likes being able to walk down the streets here, go to his favorite bars, etc. without being mobbed. Like someone already said, he does at the present time have his core audience who will persist in buying his records and concert tickets no matter what. And he has achieved success in other parts of the world. It seems like he's just moved on from trying to hit the mainstream in this country (or maybe he's planning his massive plan to take over US airwaves as we speak... but, we just don't know).

Thursday evening . . . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEfudV0Z_F8&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x402061&color2=0x9461ca&border=1

+

+

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cepdYK6GEFU&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b&border=1

&

Thanks for posting Alice. Loved the Grey's Anatomy one!

I don't get what's wrong with that? It'd be sad if they wrote "That's Katy Perry and some guy". And she's been around for some time, the last record is not her first, though it's the first one she released as Katy Perry.

This practicaly IS her first 'serious' record with the pop sound,as far as I know. She does have another album,but that was the record with some religious songs. Mika has released his 1st record muuuch before her "One of the Boys".

And of course he's not some guy,the point was that it was MIKA.

Here too it is all negative! And Americans are such sheep.... easily brainwashed and influenced -- they can't think for themselves :mf_rosetinted:

Hahahahahaaa :naughty:

This is not clear to me - how come that they play Katy Perry for about 27 times a day,the song in which she sings how she kissed a girl and she liked it? Isn't it sort of quasilesbian? And they DON'T want to play Mika,because he sings in the woman vocal range,and he sings how he tried to be like Grace Kelly. And then Mika has gay songs,and KP doesn't.

I don't see any logic there.:mf_rosetinted:

Well, those who fear Mika will become super popular due to a couple mentions in tabloids that take up a few inches on one page should rest assured that this won't be picked up on by the majority of the population. I know that I sometimes glance at the covers at the grocery store when I'm bored waiting to check out, and countless others don't even bother doing that. In any case, the majority don't hang their every word on what's written on those pages, and most times they probably don't even look at them.

In order to achieve success in the US, Mika has to be more than someone who peeks his head out only once in a while. Those artists who are on the tips of everyone's tongues are constantly doing publicity, touring extensively, and putting out new material that keeps more than just the hardcore few interested... horizontally integrating their image so that you can buy a billion posters and other pieces of merchandise that constantly scream the artist's name at you and everyone else. They shout, "BUY! LISTEN! BUY!" And once that ritual stops, they tend to be forgotten about (except by the major fans) until they pump out the next thing.

Perhaps Mika is happy being less known here. If it were that heartbreaking to him that the average person on the street doesn't know who he is, he'd be working super hard to continue to putting himself out there in the US. Maybe he likes being able to walk down the streets here, go to his favorite bars, etc. without being mobbed. Like someone already said, he does at the present time have his core audience who will persist in buying his records and concert tickets no matter what. And he has achieved success in other parts of the world. It seems like he's just moved on from trying to hit the mainstream in this country (or maybe he's planning his massive plan to take over US airwaves as we speak... but, we just don't know).

I agree with you *nods*

Well, as far as I'm concerned, I hope that he isn't planning anything to appeal to the american market, or the british market or the argentinian one for that matter. I don't like those kind of records, and we know there are a ton of them.

Mika made LICM exactly the way he wanted, without compromising anything as far as we know, and if that caused him not to "break" in the american market, well, I don't think he worries that much about it, unless he expected to sell a lot more of the 6,000,000 records he sold worlwide:thumb_yello:

I think Middle America* likes to be shocked, but only in ways it's been shocked before.

Katy's the good girl gone wild. Amy Winehouse is the woman driven to drink by a man who done her wrong. Mika's... kind of weird ... more difficult to place.

Yes,that is very true. I think he can't fit in the wanted stereotypes...but on the other hand,I think he is slowly becoming more popular in the US...

Here "Relax" is played on every single disco party or in the cafes,and everybody are crazy for it,they love that song,but nobody knows who sings it! And the sad thing is the people here are not even interested to find out who sings it..

Well, as far as I'm concerned, I hope that he isn't planning anything to appeal to the american market, or the british market or the argentinian one for that matter. I don't like those kind of records, and we know there are a ton of them.

Mika made LICM exactly the way he wanted, without compromising anything as far as we know, and if that caused him not to "break" in the american market, well, I don't think he worries that much about it, unless he expected to sell a lot more of the 6,000,000 records he sold worlwide:thumb_yello:

Yeah,I think so too,Mika has said multiple times that if he worried how his music would be accepted in some parts of the world just because of its 'unusuallness' and eccentricity,he wouldn't have made the record he made...but,you know,I think the dream of every singer is to succeed in US...

Thursday evening . . . .

+

+

&

ALSO--

The song over the opening credits of the film "IT HAPPENED IN VEGAS"

is "Grace Kelly" by Mika--in nearly it's entirety!

Yeah,I think so too,Mika has said multiple times that if he worried how his music would be accepted in some parts of the world just because of its 'unusuallness' and eccentricity,he wouldn't have made the record he made...but,you know,I think the dream of every singer is to succeed in US...

Like Mika said in NYC at the Terminal 5 show --

"Despite not having airplay in America, we still manage to sell out every show, so thank you."

--- right before he sang Grace Kelly :naughty:

I think Mika is just fine with his HARD CORE *always gonna be there* American fans.... he dosen't feel the need to appeal to the masses.

The masses will drop you like a hot potato but the hard core fans will be there through all the stormy weather... the thick and the thin.... the good times AND the bad.

ALSO--

The song over the opening credits of the film "IT HAPPENED IN VEGAS"

is "Grace Kelly" by Mika--in nearly it's entirety!

He has had U.S. 'exposure' --- still does not change any of the facts.

America is just not interested in MIKA. I don't think they ever will be NO matter how much exposure he gets........

Well, I know MIKA is an international success at the age of 25!

His success in the US is just a portion of the whole!

The stadium show in Paris was amazing:

I predict he will realize a "bump" in the states when

the DVD of that show is released.

Like Mika said in NYC at the Terminal 5 show --

"Despite not having airplay in America, we still manage to sell out every show, so thank you."

--- right before he sang Grace Kelly :naughty:

I think Mika is just fine with his HARD CORE *always gonna be there* American fans.... he dosen't feel the need to appeal to the masses.

The masses will drop you like a hot potato but the hard core fans will be there through all the stormy weather... the thick and the thin.... the good times AND the bad.

That's good...

Well, I know MIKA is an international success at the age of 25!

His success in the US is just a portion of the whole!

The stadium show in Paris was amazing:

I predict he will realize a "bump" in the states when

the DVD of that show is released.

THAT is just the point! Mika is a HUGE success by any standards! He is amazing and loved by millions all around the WORLD! He does not need to be mainstream America to be considered a HUGE success.

America is just not interested in MIKA. I don't think they ever will be NO matter how much exposure he gets........

Yeah,I'm afraid that's correct...

I hope you are wrong about that:

I believe MIKA's future is "blindingly bright" everywhere

and that

"cream rises to the top"--wherever . . .

and finally, that there are benefits realized from

persistence and "stick-to-it-tiveness!"

japan.jpg

THAT is just the point! Mika is a HUGE success by any standards! He is amazing and loved by millions all around the WORLD! He does not need to be mainstream America to be considered a HUGE success.

I agree,I think he doesn't even want to be mainstream in US.

I hope you are wrong about that:

I believe MIKA's future is "blindingly bright" everywhere

and that

"cream rises to the top"--wherever . . .

and finally, that there are benefits realized from

persistence and "stick-to-it-tiveness!"

I wish all the world of success for Mika as well! But, should we, he or anyone else consider him to be NOT completely successful just because he never broke into America *the way one would imagine the mainstream-ness-ess-ess of say Justin Timberlake or such?

In my opinion he is hugely successful he does not NEED mainstream America.

Not one bit

I agree,I think he doesn't even want to be mainstream in US.

MY POINT EXACTLY!!!! :punk:

He does not need them or desire them -- because in order to GET them he would have to comprimise in SOME form or fashion... and we ALL know that ain't gonna happen :mf_rosetinted:

ISN'T that one of the reasons we all love, admire and respect him so.....

MY POINT EXACTLY!!!! :punk:

He does not need them or desire them -- because in order to GET them he would have to comprimise in SOME form or fashion... and we ALL know that ain't gonna happen :mf_rosetinted:

ISN'T that one of the reasons we all love, admire and respect him so.....

Yeah,you're right:thumb_yello:

We all love him for just the way he is.

Ummm.......Mika's already gotten big in the US....everyone around here knows of him at least a little...(although I realize it's not like that everywhere; sometimes it's better, sometimes it's worse)

I can understand Holly's frustration that he isn't played on the radio and isn't blindingly huge like he is in the UK. But thanks to the tv shows and movies and Perez (Oh, thank God for Perez) he's not invisible. And people are interested, or else he wouldn't be selling out every show, and it's not just because of us hardcore fans. (Much as we like to think we have lots of power, the MFC isn't quite that good.:naughty:)

I'm personally quite pleased with the place he's at now. He's relatively known, he's gotten some recognition for his work, and just because he isn't topping the charts is no reason to be upset. Who really cares about the charts anyhow?

Last Note: As I believe someone said earlier in this thread, I think we can dispense with the "Mika's been here long before Katy and now she's giving him popularity!:furious:" kind of talk, since Katy didn't just show up, she's been around for quite a while, and this wasn't her first record. Who knows, maybe the second album will be the catalyst that pushes Mika into the charts. Then he'll be the flavor of the month for a while, and then he'll fade into the background again and we'll be back in this spot. Can't wait.:mf_rosetinted:

Ummm.......Mika's already gotten big in the US....everyone around here knows of him at least a little...(although I realize it's not like that everywhere; sometimes it's better, sometimes it's worse)

I can understand Holly's frustration that he isn't played on the radio and isn't blindingly huge like he is in the UK. But thanks to the tv shows and movies and Perez (Oh, thank God for Perez) he's not invisible. And people are interested, or else he wouldn't be selling out every show, and it's not just because of us hardcore fans. (Much as we like to think we have lots of power, the MFC isn't quite that good.:naughty:)

I'm personally quite pleased with the place he's at now. He's relatively known, he's gotten some recognition for his work, and just because he isn't topping the charts is no reason to be upset. Who really cares about the charts anyhow?

Last Note: As I believe someone said earlier in this thread, I think we can dispense with the "Mika's been here long before Katy and now she's giving him popularity!:furious:" kind of talk, since Katy didn't just show up, she's been around for quite a while, and this wasn't her first record. Who knows, maybe the second album will be the catalyst that pushes Mika into the charts. Then he'll be the flavor of the month for a while, and then he'll fade into the background again and we'll be back in this spot. Can't wait.:mf_rosetinted:

How could anyone argue with that? :wub2:

It's true who cares about the charts yadda yadda yadda

I think that is the point I was trying to make -- Mika is 'known' around here and that's that.... he's not gonna be #1 on the U.S. charts - he's not gonna be on the Highway Billboards, he not gonna be on every pen, pencil, paper, post card, t-shirt, poster, magazine in the store, he not gonna be played to death on MTV or VH1 BUT WHO CARES! He is going to continue to sell records, melt hearts.... and play to Sold Out crowds..... Isn't that ALL that matters anyways?

I can understand Holly's frustration that he isn't played on the radio and isn't blindingly huge like he is in the UK.

Who knows, maybe the second album will be the catalyst that pushes Mika into the charts. Then he'll be the flavor of the month for a while, and then he'll fade into the background again and we'll be back in this spot. Can't wait.:mf_rosetinted:

I agree about the second album. I don't see any evidence of his not wanting to break America. They seem to prefer American artists there (I know he's got an American father, and US citizenship, but Mika just doesn't come accross as American) Lots of UK artists don't make the big push needed with their first album, as the effort, as someone else has already said, is huge, and the home/"easier" markets would have had to be neglected. Amy Winehouse's first album wasn't even released in the US until after her second. The pattern seems to be home success- momentum- America.

Mind, I wouldn't say he was "huge" in the UK.

I think he's just waiting his time. He can't really do any more with his first album and this sort of publicity might help with his second- if it's out anytime soon.