Islamophobic????

foalbaby14

It's people who hold beliefs like these who are to blame for part of the "discriminative culture".

Sure, muslims were responsible for 9/11, but at the same time there are millions of muslims in the world who are peaceful and who feel disgusted by these actions.

These people are as innocent as you and I, but are discriminated against (like you are doing with the man on the plane) just because they are a certain race.

You probably didn't even know if the man was a muslim, all you knew is that he was middle eastern looking... He may have even been a different religion.

Mind you, not that even if he WAS muslim, I would agree with one being scared of him.

To me this shows how, in many places, people are not willing to accept difference. Perhaps it's because they aren't exposed to it, maybe, but I'm gtelling you, if you lived in London then you'd never be able to take the underground or a train, because there are always plenty of potential muslims around.

How can you say that you're not prejudiced, yet make a statement like the one you made? You were being prejudiced against that man, by thinking that he may have been a terrorist.

Oh, and may I remind you, the IRA terrorists were always white :thumb_yello:.

As MUCH as I understand what you are saying and totally agree - I am JUST saying that HOW CAN YOU BLAME FEAR? It is HUMAN NATURE .... I don't know about you - but I am HUMAN!

I make have been discriminating against that poor innocent man in your eyes... but, did I DO or SAY anthing negative to him? NO! I smiled at him.... he did not know what I was thinking or that I was afraid of him! And my mind is going to THINK what it wants to..... sometimes things are hard to control! I don't go around being negative or TREATING people bad - and for all it's worth NO I am NOT prejudice MEANING I am not mean to others that are different... I don't speak ill of them - SO WHAT IF MY BRAIN is in overload.... I am NOT hurting anyone!

I think you read a little too much into me... I was speaking for HOW someone could feel fear and RIGHTFULLY so!

I too have to live in this world.... and in Florida there are ALOT of Arabic people... running every gas station you go in.... I don't not stop because of it - nor will I refrain from flying because of situations like the last!

I am JUST saying HOW IN THE FREAKIN WORLD COULD you expect there to be NO FEAR? THAT makes no sense to me! Try and see it from BOTH sides!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As MUCH as I understand what you are saying and totally agree - I am JUST saying that HOW CAN YOU BLAME FEAR? It is HUMAN NATURE .... I don't know about you - but I am HUMAN!

I make have been discriminating against that poor innocent man in your eyes... but, did I DO or SAY anthing negative to him? NO! I smiled at him.... he did not know what I was thinking or that I was afraid of him! And my mind is going to THINK what it wants to..... sometimes things are hard to control! I don't go around being negative or TREATING people bad - and for all it's worth NO I am NOT prejudice MEANING I am not mean to others that are different... I don't speak ill of them - SO WHAT IF MY BRAIN is in overload.... I am NOT hurting anyone!

I think you read a little too much into me... I was speaking for HOW someone could feel fear and RIGHTFULLY so!

I too have to live in this world.... and in Florida there are ALOT of Arabic people... running every gas station you go in.... I don't not stop because of it - nor will I refrain from flying because of situations like the last!

I am JUST saying HOW IN THE FREAKIN WORLD COULD you expect there to be NO FEAR? THAT makes no sense to me! Try and see it from BOTH sides!

I am seeing it from both sides. I am not a muslim, I am a white woman, and I feel the fear that you mention, as I work in one of the "terrorist hotspots" in London, Canary Wharf, where there were plans to bomb and whatnot by some (muslim) terrorists.

Of course I understand fear, and agree that it's natural. I am scared sometimes, if I think about it.

If you didn't treat that man differently, then that is great, but the point of my post was to illustrate that this fear is what drives many "separatist" attitudes where people get discriminated.

And who knows, we never know how we come across to others, so the man on the plane may well have noticed your fear and reservation, even if you thought that you weren't treating him any differently.

Imagine for a second that you would have been sitting next to him. What would have happened then?

like...a buddhist? come on what happened WAS strictly linked to islam.

but sure you have extremist killers in the 3 biggest monotheist religions

I am talking about the man that she saw on the plane, religion unknown, who "looked arabic" according to Holly.

He could be any religion, and he has nothing to do with what happened (the terrorist attacks).

And yes, you have extremist killers in all the powerful religions at some point or another, including the Catholics, like the famous Spanish Inquisition.

BTW: Great post, riverstwilight.

Too long to quote though, lol!

I am talking about the man that she saw on the plane, religion unknown, who "looked arabic" according to Holly.

He could be any religion, and he has nothing to do with what happened (the terrorist attacks).

And yes, you have extremist killers in all the powerful religions at some point or another, including the Catholics, like the famous Spanish Inquisition.

BTW: Great post, riverstwilight.

Too long to quote though, lol!

oh okay...

about the spanish inquisition, it makes me think of something i read lately, isadora duncan wrote in her biography that after having a kid (being pregnant and give birth) you could face the spanish inquisition...wow.

quote river

"some yuppie may have been doing something suspicious and gone completely unnoticed because nobody thinks yuppies look dangerous. "

we´ll never repeat it enough, if you see a yuppie WALK THE FCK AWAY!!!those people are VERY dangerous.

thanks for the reminder :)

I am seeing it from both sides. I am not a muslim, I am a white woman, and I feel the fear that you mention, as I work in one of the "terrorist hotspots" in London, Canary Wharf, where there were plans to bomb and whatnot by some (muslim) terrorists.

Of course I understand fear, and agree that it's natural. I am scared sometimes, if I think about it.

If you didn't treat that man differently, then that is great, but the point of my post was to illustrate that this fear is what drives many "separatist" attitudes where people get discriminated.

And who knows, we never know how we come across to others, so the man on the plane may well have noticed your fear and reservation, even if you thought that you weren't treating him any differently.

Imagine for a second that you would have been sitting next to him. What would have happened then?

I get it!!! And I do try to see it from both sides too! I remember seeing HOW ALOT of people treated ALL Middle Eastern people RIGHT after 9/11 and I remember HOW it broke my heart! And THAT is when I started working on it. Because I could NOT live in fear! You have to learn to overcome things like this on your own, in your own way. I MAY be ignorant -- BUT, I am not so ignorant that I am walking blindly! My eyes are wide open, and I realize I need to make a change in my heart and mind. Even though I would never say or do anything to directly hurt or discriminate upon someone - I see that you are right.... perhaps he COULD see my uncomfortableness.... even though I thought i was hiding it well..... maybe I was trying a little too hard.

And HAD he been sitting RIGHT NEXT to me.... I dunno :no:

Maybe I would have started sweating because I was SO scared! I really can't answer that! But - i would like to say that I have come A L O N G way in the 8 months since that flight!

And NOW I see that I need to continue working on it - and try a little harder! So thanks Sariflor.... for opening my eyes even wider! :huglove:

It's terrible that people think that way...

That's a bit like us here... White people were blamed for a lot of things Aboriginal people were put through... though Kevin Rudd did apologise... it's the right step towards reconciliation...

And just because Pamela Anderson didn't realise that ugg boots were made using sheep skin doesn't mean you don't know that! :naughty:

It's kind of sad I knew that came from Mean Girls before I read the bit in brackets...

Poor kid...

It's a minority that did that, but the law abiding Muslims did nothing wrong... I feel for them, because what a few people did shouldn't affect their lives... they were in as much pain about 9/11 as the rest of America.

Exactly :lmfao:

and like, I dont picture all australians as Crocodile dundee or steve irwin :lmfao:

Why do we always want to know what people group(s) the scary people fit into, but we don't care what group(s) the awesome people fit into?

THAT is a GREAT question! I think that we are ALL guilty of that one!

I was using the general "we" not the "we" that includes me. I've already admitted to my ignorance based fear, but wanting to know which people group I should fear because some baddies somewhere blew something up is not one of them.

I already know that most people groups are already well represented in the "who did what to who" party. I'm too busy worrying about which country has the twitchiest finger on The Button to worry about who might have a bomb on the plane.

"It's always the one you least suspect," which means the next plane is being taken out by that friendly granny down the street who always bakes cookies for the church bake sale and serves meals to homeless people. Mark my words.

I was using the word WE in general terms as well :wink2:

That is SO true look at the BTK Serial killer -- he was a deacon in the church and all that jazz..... NO ONE would have EVER suspected him!

But you used the word ALL, which would have included me, had I not protested.

As far as granny taking out a plane, I was being facetious. Cuz it was funny. As all good humorists know, a joke is not funny if you have to explain it.

Yeah, if that was meant as a joke it was totally lost - because it is the truth!

That kind of stuff is in the news EVERYDAY!