Islamophobic????

foalbaby14

I stopped watching the news in 1998 when I took my last journalism course. I was tired of being scared all the time, tired of the sick contrast between the ethics journalists are supposed to aim for and the ethics they actually follow, and sick of hearing it all countless times in one day.

Now, I only hear whatever news interests the people around me and I'm not afraid of stuff in the news. If something important pings my radar, I have more reliable sources for research than American media.

My friends give me a hard time for being uninformed. I'm not uninformed. I'm just not one of the first to know when something happens. However, when I do find out about something, I tend to be better informed about it than the people who told me about it. I just ask different questions.

Of course, I stick my head in the sand when things don't interest me or I know that more information would make me needlessly afraid of something, but everybody does that.

It's just a shame that stories I think would be funny are too true to come off as jokes. Maybe I should just write the Modest Proposal of the 21st Century (A Modest Proposal was written by Jonathan Swift in the 1700's if you'd like to look it up.)

Omg, I know! When i was little (and now) I'd refuse to let my parents turn on the news. The fact that stuff this horror-movie-esque is happening 30 minutes from my house used to scare me all of the time! Especially speed racing!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I stopped watching the news in 1998

It's just a shame that stories I think would be funny are too true to come off as jokes.

I guess it is because you stopped watching the news! All the 'funny' little stories in your head are Last Night's Headlines :naughty:

Not so funny when reality hits....

I stopped watching the news in 1998

thats probably what makes you different from hollyd...the news in the usa are the first cause of fear and violence, it has been proved that it has nothing to do with violence in the movies, rap songs or the evil MManson

I've also stopped listening to the news because it is incessant and pointless fearmongering. They are forever discussing things that have nothing to do with me and are none of my business. Everyone is convinced that there is more crime and violence in cities but I know in Toronto that is not true statistically. But people are locking up their children and forever living in fear that they are going to be abducted or victim to terror attack. It's totally irrational.

thats probably what makes you different from hollyd...the news in the usa are the first cause of fear and violence, it has been proved that it has nothing to do with violence in the movies, rap songs or the evil MManson

Probably cause they tend to take it a bit far on the news :sneaky2:

I mean SHOWING all of the blood, guts and horror over and over and over....

Sometimes the news is SO graphic ... that they even give that little warning before hand - this may be unsuitable for some viewers or small children :blink: yeah OKAY......

It's LIKE they WANT to instill fear in us? Weird! Is the news of such a nature in other parts of the world? Or is it JUST the U.S. that want to torment it's citizens?

I've also stopped listening to the news because it is incessant and pointless fearmongering. They are forever discussing things that have nothing to do with me and are none of my business.

what??? how dare they!!!!!???

yes holly, its been studied and proved, if you focus on your fear you will not pay attention to the nasty stuff going on around in your country etc. and the news are linked to....too long to xplain. but you shoulkd stop watching them.

about violence they say its different in canada, because they are not trying so hard to scare people in the news but maybe its different now.

i dont watch them either because the kilometric death stuff pisses me off.

what??? how dare they!!!!!???

:naughty: Well you know if it's entertaining I don't care if it's got nothing to do with me. But do I really need to know that some bicyclist got run over and lost a limb over 20 kms away? I don't know why anyone thinks that the public needs to be constantly kept informed of such things. If it's someone you know you'll hear about it through other avenues and you wouldn't want to find out from watching it on TV anyway.

:naughty: Well you know if it's entertaining I don't care if it's got nothing to do with me. But do I really need to know that some bicyclist got run over and lost a limb over 20 kms away? I don't know why anyone thinks that the public needs to be constantly kept informed of such things. If it's someone you know you'll hear about it through other avenues and you wouldn't want to find out from watching it on TV anyway.

yeah i know but i think its made for old people, my grandma likes it :naughty:

I stopped watching the news in 1998 when I took my last journalism course. I was tired of being scared all the time, tired of the sick contrast between the ethics journalists are supposed to aim for and the ethics they actually follow, and sick of hearing it all countless times in one day.

Now, I only hear whatever news interests the people around me and I'm not afraid of stuff in the news. If something important pings my radar, I have more reliable sources for research than American media.

My friends give me a hard time for being uninformed. I'm not uninformed. I'm just not one of the first to know when something happens. However, when I do find out about something, I tend to be better informed about it than the people who told me about it. I just ask different questions.

Of course, I stick my head in the sand when things don't interest me or I know that more information would make me needlessly afraid of something, but everybody does that.

It's just a shame that stories I think would be funny are too true to come off as jokes. Maybe I should just write the Modest Proposal of the 21st Century (A Modest Proposal was written by Jonathan Swift in the 1700's if you'd like to look it up.)

I think it's brave of you to not watch the news!

But....if there's is something really important like a big emission from a power plant...how would you know?:blink:

About the Modest Proposal, please enlighten me, I know I have read it in school but my memory is vague.:wink2:

Hey! Why's everybody packing up and rushing out of town? That's weird, all the stores are closed. Crap, I should probably call my mom or a friend and find out what's going on.

I don't live in a vaccuum. If there was a reason to evacuate or a reason to worry, law enforcement would be mobilized and it would be a bit difficult to not notice that Something Bad was happening.

Honestly, if somebody drops a bomb on my town, there isn't going to be enough time to get out of the way.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Modest_Proposal

"A Modest Proposal: For Preventing the Children of Poor People in Ireland from Being a Burden to Their Parents or Country, and for Making Them Beneficial to the Public, commonly referred to as A Modest Proposal, is a satirical essay written and published by Jonathan Swift in 1729. Swift appears to suggest in his essay that the impoverished Irish might ease their economic troubles by selling children as food for rich gentlemen and ladies."

You can read more about by clicking the link. It's one of my favorite pieces of writing, ever.

I guess you’re right.

It reminds me of in the 80th when there was a leak in Chernobyl, not so far from where I live, beeline that is, it’s quite different country.

Anyway, when news came of what had happened, toxic soil even over Sweden, it was too late do anything.

Thanks for the link, interesting!

Even if the contents of his scripts are scary, he still is one of the greatest writers we know about.

His stories have a something to say to us even after so many years.:thumb_yello: