Do you put genders to numbers/letters/days of the week?

musicfreak

Monday = Girl

Tuesday = Boy

Wednesday = Boy

Thursday = Boy

Friday = Boy

Saturday = Girl

Sunday = Girl

January = Girl

February = Boy

March = Girl

April = ? (not strong for me to feel a specific gender)

May = Girl

June = Boy

July = Boy

August = Girl

September = Girl

October = Boy

November = Boy

December = Boy

This next one about animals is the strangest because we all know animals come in both genders. :blink:

Dogs = Boy

Cats = Girl

Horses = Boy

Cows = Boy

Pigs = Boy

Swans = Girl

Birds = Girl

Ducks = Girl

Bears = Boy

Lions = Boy

Elephants = Girl

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Last one (sorry) :naughty:

Red = girl

Orange = girl

Yellow = girl

Green = boy

Blue = boy

Purple = boy

Brown = boy

Black = boy

White = girl or boy

Pink = girl

cars = boy

houses = girl

trees = girl

flowers = girl

grass = boy

pencils = boy

pens = girl

I think I'll stop now. :boxed:

0 = boy

1 = boy

2 = girl

3 = girl

4 = boy

5 = tomboy

6 = girl

7 = boy

8 = girl for sure!

9 = girl

10 = boy

You have the same ones as meeee!!!

I started doing this when I was about 6 when I learnt to read music.. I did it with music notes and then when my music tutor asked why I explained how it makes perfect sense since thats what we do with numbers.... she had no idea what I was going on about.

I talked about this in psychology with my tutor and he explained that the numbers I thought were feminine all seemed to be the curvy numbers (i.e 8, 6, 3 etc) and the ones with straight lines were more masculine (1,4,7 etc)

I do the colours of the week thing too. Monday Yellow, tuesday, llight blue, Wednesday fushia, Thursday lime green, Friday dark green, Saturday orange, sunday red.

You have the same ones as meeee!!!

I talked about this in psychology with my tutor and he explained that the numbers I thought were feminine all seemed to be the curvy numbers (i.e 8, 6, 3 etc) and the ones with straight lines were more masculine (1,4,7 etc)

Of course! That makes a lot of sense. Neat -o. :thumb_yello:

this is awesome! actually, I found a synesthesia forum a looong time ago... when I read this amazing book about it (it's called "A Mango Shaped Space" by... *looks at bookshelf* Wendy Mass). It's a great read... really insightful about this stuff but not too heavy... just really cool basically.

my numbers and color and gender matching is rather hazy but the idea is still fun...

0-boy

1-boy

2-woman (yes, there are older numbers, too :bleh:)

3-girl

4-boy

5-girl (like a bratty, mean-girl type girl)

6-girl

7-boy

8-boy

9-girl/woman (like a 20-something woman...whereas 2 is more of a mature, classic 40yr old haha, I sound crazy)

10-boy

the alphabet (as far as what color each letter is)is something I haven't really thought of... but some stand-out ones are:

A- sun-shiny yellow

F-orange

J-royal purple

M-red

T-brown

V-jade green

eh those are random letters haha

I love this topic though :thumb_yello:

Yay !!

1. Male

2. Female

3. Male

4.Female

5. Male

6. Female

7. Male

8. Male

9. Male

10. Male

Most of them are males for me.

I agree with most of those.

Ooh, flowers!

I put gender to colors alot.

Red is a boy.

Orange is a girl.

Yellow's a girl.

Green's a boy.

Blue is a boy.

Purple is a boy.

Oh all the same for me except red is a girl:bleh:

sometimes, and sometimes i make up little stories about the numbers (like multiplication, they get married, and sometimes they get angry at eachother, ok, now i'm just sounding insane :naughty:)

:naughty:

:shocked:I do sorta the same thing! like C D really hate eachother but most letters/numbers are friends....like XYZ they all get along but exclude W from their group.....:roftl: wow glad to know there are other people along side me!

which is the girliest?

i think 9 is the girliest.

and 1 is the boy-est. :naughty:

I think 9 is a tomboyish....but i would say 2 is like a really girly young girl...ummm does that make sense:naughty:

A-girl

B-girl

These two are really good friends

C-boy

D-boy

They fight a lot

E-boy

F-boy

G-boy

H-boy

I-boy

both best friends

J-boy

K-boy

L-girl

M-boy

N-boy

O-boy

P-girl (she's a really negative person though)

Q-girl

R-girl

S-girl

T-boy

U-boy

they both get along really well

V-boy

W-boy

X-boy

Y-boy

Z-girl

all have loads of fun together

I'm so excited to know i'm not alone:naughty:

this is awesome! actually, I found a synesthesia forum a looong time ago... when I read this amazing book about it (it's called "A Mango Shaped Space" by... *looks at bookshelf* Wendy Mass). It's a great read... really insightful about this stuff but not too heavy... just really cool basically.

my numbers and color and gender matching is rather hazy but the idea is still fun...

0-boy

1-boy

2-woman (yes, there are older numbers, too :bleh:)

3-girl

4-boy

5-girl (like a bratty, mean-girl type girl)

6-girl

7-boy

8-boy

9-girl/woman (like a 20-something woman...whereas 2 is more of a mature, classic 40yr old haha, I sound crazy)

10-boy

You have the same as jennie and I! Wow...and your descriptions about their ages - it's spot on with my thoughts too. :blink:

Yeah it is pretty interesting. I guess it comes down to semantics and stuff... Jut trying to visualise and put some kind of meaning or story to everything to make it easier to use

We did a little test in psychology once at college where our tutor read out a list of random objects and we had to put them into either masculine and feminine but that was usually just stereotypical things like dolls = girls, cars = boys etc. We then did the same thing with colours to figure out whether its the same process in our heads as when we did the objects one.

The corrolation between which colours were more masculine and which were more feminine were pretty strong actually...even between shades.

sorry if that didn't make much sense (which I dont think it did) it's 3am and my brain is a but mushy :)

Yeah it is pretty interesting. I guess it comes down to semantics and stuff... Jut trying to visualise and put some kind of meaning or story to everything to make it easier to use

We did a little test in psychology once at college where our tutor read out a list of random objects and we had to put them into either masculine and feminine but that was usually just stereotypical things like dolls = girls, cars = boys etc. We then did the same thing with colours to figure out whether its the same process in our heads as when we did the objects one.

The corrolation between which colours were more masculine and which were more feminine were pretty strong actually...even between shades.

sorry if that didn't make much sense (which I dont think it did) it's 3am and my brain is a but mushy :)

That's really interesting. I would love to study it, in people's minds.

How do y'all determine if a large number, i.e.: 2,306,395 is male or female?

For me, it's determined by the first number.

yea, me too, but sometimes I dont' think of it as one number, it's more like just a set of numbers chillin out at the same party:roftl:

got this off Wiki...

Synesthesia is also sometimes reported by individuals under the influence of psychedelic drugs, after a stroke, during a temporal lobe epilepsy seizure

:boxed:

yea, me too, but sometimes I dont' think of it as one number, it's more like just a set of numbers chillin out at the same party:roftl:

got this off Wiki...

Synesthesia is also sometimes reported by individuals under the influence of psychedelic drugs, after a stroke, during a temporal lobe epilepsy seizure

Chillin' at a party -LOL. I think of it as the leader of the pack that's following - or a parent and all the kids holding hands in a line following.

I don't remember ever having psychedelic drugs. Damn. I must have had a lot of fun too. :blink: Maybe I forgot I took those drugs because shortly after, I had a stroke or seizure. :boxed:

got this off Wiki...

that's MFC for you....:wink2:

Chillin' at a party -LOL. I think of it as the leader of the pack that's following - or a parent and all the kids holding hands in a line following.

I don't remember ever having psychedelic drugs. Damn. I must have had a lot of fun too. :blink: Maybe I forgot I took those drugs because shortly after, I had a stroke or seizure. :boxed:

hey, yea, except for me 2 is a younger person, so I guess she can't really be leading if she is so young.....hmmm

:lmfao::lmao: Damn, why did you have to miss all that fun? dumb seizure.

I love Synesthesia.

Back when I planned on majoring in Psych, I did a bunch of research on different conditions, and I thought Synesthesia was amazing. I was reading a book at the time about a serial killer who one of the victims thought suffered from it. That was a few years ago, though.

I'm sort of glad I'm growing out of it, though. It's hard to explain to most people, and it's more of a hassel then it's worth.

WOW, interesting thread! I don't remember learning about this in my Psych classes. I just remember that anthropomorphism is the tendency to attribute human characteristics to inanimate objects. It has never even occured to me to assign gender to numbers or days of the week!

I wonder if it has something to do with what your first language is, or what languages you grew up with, since some languages assign gender to numbers or inanimate objects. Maybe it sparks something in a child's imagination.

On a side note, if you are interested in unusual psychology/neurology stories, this is a really good book: "The Man Who Mistook His Wife For a Hat" by Oliver Sacks. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Man_Who_Mistook_His_Wife_for_a_Hat

I wonder if it has something to do with what your first language is, or what languages you grew up with, since some languages assign gender to numbers or inanimate objects.

Whoaaa, good point!

I don't think we really do that in English, do we?

Maybe like... referring to ships as girls. "She's unsinkable!" etc.?

the alphabet (as far as what color each letter is)is something I haven't really thought of... but some stand-out ones are:

A- sun-shiny yellow

F-orange

J-royal purple

M-red

T-brown

V-jade green

eh those are random letters haha

I love this topic though :thumb_yello:

Isn’t there anyone else who has colours for the numbers and letters?

And colours for names?

I’m really going to try to find that book, thanks for the tip!:thumb_yello:

Absolutely wonderful!:thumb_yello::naughty::wub2:

Oh I love this thread, to me this whole thing is just a proof of peoples creative minds!:wub2:

which is the girliest?

i think 9 is the girliest.

and 1 is the boy-est. :naughty:

6 is the girliest !!:bleh:.

The last number is the important for me.:bleh:.

I wonder if it has something to do with what your first language is, or what languages you grew up with, since some languages assign gender to numbers or inanimate objects. Maybe it sparks something in a child's imagination.

My native language is spanish, and we put gender to inanimate objects, but we don't do that with numbers.

For example, table - she, car - he....etc.

I've heard that people put colours to words. It has a medical name.

Like Tuesday being darkish yellow......

I have that!

I put gender to the colors!! hihihi I think everybody does!:naughty:

Me too!

But I don't really do these kind of things with letters or numbers.

I also do it with left and right. Left is salmonish coloured, and right is yellow:naughty:

Isn’t there anyone else who has colours for the numbers and letters?

And colours for names?

I’m really going to try to find that book, thanks for the tip!:thumb_yello:

You're welcome! And in that book, the main character (a girl who's like 12 or something) tells her classmates about her abilities and instead of thinking she's weird, they hound her with questions like "what's the color of my name?!?!" all obnoxious-like. But that is an interesting quesiton. For most synaesthetes (ppl with synesthesia) the whole name is greatly influenced by the first letter. Kinda like what people were saying about large numbers and how the first number was the leader.

To me, a large number like 2,473,545 is the color red for some reason, and if I just quickly glance at it, I think it's a girl... probably because the 2 and the 5 on the ends are both girls to me. But each number does still have a gender when I take a closer look at it.

Haha although I'm not a true synaesthete, I think it's fun to have this small quirk. It makes math a lot more interesting.... speaking of that I have craploads of homework to do! haha :bleh: