Do you put genders to numbers/letters/days of the week?

musicfreak

ha :naughty: yea I didn't realize you were from Stockholm (so it says under your username :blush-anim-cl:) and it took me a while to understand why you were so amused by "craploads" :roftl: there are lots of fun words people basically make up every day. With my friends, it's hard to keep up sometimes! :bleh:

P.S. I like the Strawberry Fields Forever under your username...viva los Beatles!:punk:

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ha :naughty: yea I didn't realize you were from Stockholm (so it says under your username :blush-anim-cl:) and it took me a while to understand why you were so amused by "craploads" :roftl: there are lots of fun words people basically make up every day. With my friends, it's hard to keep up sometimes! :bleh:

P.S. I like the Strawberry Fields Forever under your username...viva los Beatles!:punk:

Yeah, The Beatles are the best.:wub2:..then we got nothing for...40 years?

And then that Mika guy came along!:naughty:

I didn't read the whole thread but it's really interesting!!!

As a French speaker, I don't put genders to things, since we DO have genders for everything ^^. It's interested linguistically; maybe English speakers show a need of having genders, like in French or German... I should speak about that to my teachers ^^.

But I DO associate colours to numbers, letters, days and months ^^. I'm a very visual person.

I didn't know this phenomenon was called synaesthesia. I've learnt synaesthesia is the mixing of senses, like when you say "I can smell the taste of wine".

EDIT: I've read some of you associate colours to names. Well, I associate colours, not to the name, but to the person ^^. Weird eh...

Edited by Emerald

Wow, this is an interesting discussion. I didn't know that people do that. I was thinking along the same lines as zoots14, whether it had anything to do with which languages one speaks. I've studied several languages in which objects have a gender and even as a kid I thought the concept of it strange.

I wonder what implications this has for gender: does this affirm that it's a social construct because here is gender being applied to objects that clearly have no biological sex, or does it negate it because here are people applying the concept of gender involuntarily?

:shocked: i thought everyone puts gender to things like these.

i mean... i even give names to my stuff and every word i say or i hear has a different color and shape in my mind...

did i get this right? it's not normal to put genders/colors to days of the week, numbers and random objects you use? :shocked::boxed:

just for the record

my iPod is a classy boy and my keys are girls... it's not normal to think like that?

i didn't read all the posts as i am in a kind of hurry...so sorry if anyone explained it pages ago :blush:

Wow, this is an interesting discussion. I didn't know that people do that. I was thinking along the same lines as zoots14, whether it had anything to do with which languages one speaks. I've studied several languages in which objects have a gender and even as a kid I thought the concept of it strange.

I wonder what implications this has for gender: does this affirm that it's a social construct because here is gender being applied to objects that clearly have no biological sex, or does it negate it because here are people applying the concept of gender involuntarily?

For me anyway, it doesn't have anything to do with language. Neither of the first two languages I learned apply gender to objects. I can see the argument for this to be both of what you mentioned above - as affirming gender labelling as a social construct, but that I might have involuntarily assigned gender to objects based on repetition of association (ie. repeatedly seeing the colour "pink" on girls, along with anything curvy being feminine, etc).

Oh yeah, me too!! "Grace Kelly" is red, "Relax" is blue "Any Other World" is brown :D

hehe, "Grace Kelly" is red and yellow for me. :roftl:

to my surprise, "Billy Brown" isn't brown, but red!

"Over my shoulder" is dark blue, "Big girl" is turquoise, "Lollipop" is pink (who would have thought? :wink2:)

"Over my shoulder" is dark blue, "Big girl" is turquoise, "Lollipop" is pink (who would have thought? :wink2:)

Oh lool "Billy Brown" is not brown either, but green ^^, "Over my Shoulder" is dark-grey kind of purple, "Big Girl" is blue, "Lollipop" is red-pink, "Happy Ending" is pink "Love Today" is red ... lol it's really funny, but I think it happens just with Mika... But I haven't really thought about other songs so... :roftl:

Oh lool "Billy Brown" is not brown either, but green ^^, "Over my Shoulder" is dark-grey kind of purple, "Big Girl" is blue, "Lollipop" is red-pink, "Happy Ending" is pink "Love Today" is red ... lol it's really funny, but I think it happens just with Mika... But I haven't really thought about other songs so... :roftl:

it also happens with other songs, but with Mika's songs it's very...intensive! :naughty:

for me, songs have colours! for example, "Any other world" is black/dark blue, "Relax" is green etc. etc. i dunno why, it just appears!

I do the same !!

Any other world is brown, Relax is green for me too.:lol3:.

Grace Kelly is blue, Billy brown is brown and yellow 'Over my shoulder' is the same as yours and 'Lollipop' is pink too.:lol3:.

What is it called when you brain mixes up your sense of smell and taste? I'll be eating a tortilla chip with beans and all of a sudden it starts tasting like cake and sometimes the heat mixed with dirt smells like iced tea to me. :blink:

Anyone?:naughty:

:roftl: it's called UNIQUENESS.

and i thought i was weird. i mean sometimes the food i eat starts tasting like something else ... but not like that :bleh:

Great. :naughty:

I wonder if there's a scientific name for it....

Yeah, it gets really confusing.