• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Determined Texas woman, 92, votes in ambulance

Buzz Up

Tue Nov 4, 4:22 pm ET

SAN ANTONIO – Betty Owen is 92 and after a stroke four years ago, needs a feeding tube and can't walk. But she was determined not to miss Tuesday's election. She arrived at her polling place on a gurney in an ambulance, where an election judge and support worker climbed aboard with an electronic voting machine and let her cast her ballot.

"And you have voted," precinct judge Sam Green said after Owen pushed the red button finalizing her choices. "You know, you look so pretty in that red dress."

Owen grinned, the San Antonio Express-News reported in Tuesday's online edition.

Her daughter arranged for the ambulance ride at the last minute after Owen failed to get an absentee ballot.

Owen, a Marine Corps veteran who served in World War II, cast her first ballot for Wendell Willkie, a Republican running against Franklin D. Roosevelt in 1940.

Couldn't she let someone else vote for her? Here in Holland you can give someone power to vote in stead of you.

AMP....aren't we going to sleep dear?:naughty:

i feel shattered...but i'm so curious!:blush-anim-cl:

if i go now...i'll have 4 hours and a half sleep!:shocked:

Hihi: no hubby at home, so: lonely in bed, and the 2 youngest girls have a day of tomorrow, so I don't have to get up early. Well, exept for Inge, but I can stay in my pj's int the morning.

In Holland we call them kiesmannen, choosing men.....mmmmm sound strange...

They vote for the candidaie who got the most vote in a certain state.

Yeah, we just say MP (member of parliament) But I do declare (*snicker*) we have a different voting system than the states, we go by votes they go by seats, i think. :P

At the exact second it was announced that Obama won, my dorm erupted into screams and cheers and people started running up and down the halls/stairs.... and now it sounds like people are going totally INSANE in the streets. My windows are closed and the sound is deafening :shocked::roftl:

I can hear people yelling in the streets!

I am so proud to be an American today!

we have a Chicagoan President!!!

they're setting off fireworks and I think I heard a gunshot!

at my grocery store I was selling Champagne all night long!

My friend just told me Obama won because I fail and didn't have the television on... but it felt like new year's to me, like I could just feel something change (even without watching the ball in times square drop :naughty:) CONGRATS.... to... AMERICA! haha :pbjt: