I just saw that interview. I feel left out like I'm missing something special being British. I really miss the apple days.

Yes sorry that is some f*cked up sh*t making statements like that. It seems Mika has forgotten the apple days when Britain made him #1 and gave him the credibility and resources to go to France, Italy, etc. in the first place. I think it is childish to rewrite history and pretend that he is a victim of xenophobia instead of accepting that things just didn't work out long term or that heaven forbid he actually made a mistake along the way and is at least partially responsible for it. He used to do the same thing with the US - blaming his lack of success on homophobia. Because we all know there are no homophobes in Italy or xenophobes in France so that is obviously the only reason he struggles outside those countries. :rolls_eyes:

He never admitts to mistakes. Celebrate was a huge mistake and we told him what we thought. I read Sir Alex Ferguson's autobiography and he said that David Beckham never admitted to his mistakes always said he did nothing wrong, when he clearly did. I think Mika suffers from this too.

To say Britain isn't accepting of gay pop stars is ridiculous. Maybe if he was open from the beginning it may have been a different story. People like labels and if it's not clear they might be intrigued for a bit but will then lose interest. To think that your above labels or you are so different from others makes you unrelatable.

People need to relate and at the moment I can't relate to him at all.

He never admitts to mistakes. Celebrate was a huge mistake and we told him what we thought. I read Sir Alex Ferguson's autobiography and he said that David Beckham never admitted to his mistakes always said he did nothing wrong, when he clearly did. I think Mika suffers from this too.

To say Britain isn't accepting of gay pop stars is ridiculous. Maybe if he was open from the beginning it may have been a different story. People like labels and if it's not clear they might be intrigued for a bit but will then lose interest. To think that your above labels or you are so different from others makes you unrelatable.

People need to relate and at the moment I can't relate to him at all.

He has said several times that Celebrate was a compromise and not the song he actually wanted to start with. It looked (at least to me as an outsider) that he tried really hard in the UK at the time of TBWKTM. Maybe his music didn't match with the market, maybe promotion was wrong or simply not enough. After that, I guess it's easier to work where he is wanted and where he is asked to perform? Of course he would love to have success in the UK. I hope it will come with the fourth album.

It looked (at least to me as an outsider) that he tried really hard in the UK at the time of TBWKTM. Maybe his music didn't match with the market, maybe promotion was wrong or simply not enough.

Yes I think he did try hard at that time but a couple of key radio stations refused to play him. We can only guess why they didn't. Personally I think at least part of the problem was that he was gone too long between singles. Maybe if he was a different artist it wouldn't have mattered so much but in his case it almost wiped the slate clean for him and he was forced to start over. Maybe if WAG was another Grace Kelly it wouldn't have mattered but under the circumstances it did.

After that, I guess it's easier to work where he is wanted and where he is asked to perform?

That is fair enough but why doesn't he just say that? Why doesn't he just admit that he feels he worked hard enough when he was 23 and would rather juat go where the easy money is and where the press adore him than start over trying to be a famous musician outside a small handful of foreign markets? What purpose does it serve to moan about how he is generally treated in England as a foreigner?

The idea that the Brits are xenophobes or the Americans are homophobes just because they didn't hand him stardom after 6 weeks of promo is not only offensive but it makes him sound ridiculously entitled. Paolo Nutini toiled away in small bars from the time he was 15 years old trying to establish himself. Mika spent a couple of months performing a small number of dates as a touring musician before he had a number 1 single and a number 1 album. And once he finished touring LICM he virtually dropped off the face of the earth for almost 2 years as far as radio was concerned.

We were all disappointed when he couldn't come back and have another number 1 single after another few weeks of promo. But his extraordinary luck had run out and you would expect after 5 years he would have some perspective on that.

Yes I think he did try hard at that time but a couple of key radio stations refused to play him. We can only guess why they didn't. Personally I think at least part of the problem was that he was gone too long between singles. Maybe if he was a different artist it wouldn't have mattered so much but in his case it almost wiped the slate clean for him and he was forced to start over. Maybe if WAG was another Grace Kelly it wouldn't have mattered but under the circumstances it did.

That is fair enough but why doesn't he just say that? Why doesn't he just admit that he feels he worked hard enough when he was 23 and would rather juat go where the easy money is and where the press adore him than start over trying to be a famous musician outside a small handful of foreign markets? What purpose does it serve to moan about how he is generally treated in England as a foreigner?

The idea that the Brits are xenophobes or the Americans are homophobes just because they didn't hand him stardom after 6 weeks of promo is not only offensive but it makes him sound ridiculously entitled. Paolo Nutini toiled away in small bars from the time he was 15 years old trying to establish himself. Mika spent a couple of months performing a small number of dates as a touring musician before he had a number 1 single and a number 1 album. And once he finished touring LICM he virtually dropped off the face of the earth for almost 2 years as far as radio was concerned.

We were all disappointed when he couldn't come back and have another number 1 single after another few weeks of promo. But his extraordinary luck had run out and you would expect after 5 years he would have some perspective on that.

I never understood why he chose WAG and not Rain as the first single :dunno: It's not GK either but still.

I don't think he is getting easy money though, I think he works really hard.

About the US and the UK markets. I understand their meaning and importance in the center of international music business and I know that new success in those markets will definitely make him happy and proud of his music (and THAT will make me happy for him). Personally those markets mean me nothing different compared to any other country though. In my eyes he is international when he speaks different languages, knows different cultures and is popular enough to sell shows around the world (even we are talking about smaller tours like the Intimate Tour in the US).

Yes and no signs of it getting any better. The only time he mentions the UK is to moan about how the press is mean to him and that he feels more at home in Italy and France.

I saw that interview and felt very disappointed :shun:

I think that was a culmination of what he experienced on x-factor, because even early in 2013 he was still saying he considered London home and himself as British even though obviously there was the whole caveat about being a mutt etc... Now it seems he's shifted his perspective and in a sad way for me at least because I agree with you Christine, he owes his fame to Britain indeed and may have made some mistakes in that market along the way but seems to want to rewrite history :(

I don't think he is getting easy money though, I think he works really hard.

But he might have to work for several years in the UK to make as much money as he does working for 6 months in Italy. I don't mean he doesn't work just as hard on a day to day basis. Just that the money comes easier because he is better compensated for his time.

Personally those markets mean me nothing different compared to any other country though.

Again that is fair enough. But why the need to blame people in these markets for his relative lack of success? And in reagrds to the US tour...I'm sure he'd have no problem filling tiny venues in the UK either. He obviously just feels it's not worth the investment of time and money even though it would surely be cheaper than touring the US.

I saw that interview and felt very disappointed :shun:

I think that was a culmination of what he experienced on x-factor

The thing is if he neglects Italy to the extreme degree as he has been neglecting the UK they will also forget about him. He seems to get this with France and never leaves France for very long. And he goes out of his way to appeal to their cultural sensitivities. I don't believe for one minute that Mika ever had a serious interest in writing French music. He had 23 years to do it before he became famous in France and never did. He did it to gain their favour and make them love him.

But it's like he's so bitter about this UK rejection he just wants to spite the UK music industry by singing French songs in London and slagging them off in the press. I know it's not aimed at his fans but they are the ones who pay the price and it doesn't serve any helpful purpose.

• 1 year later...

Don't get me started. I gig and a total fiasco with the tickets.

I totally managed to get tickets. So great to know that there'll be much better tickets available tomorrow  :mf_rosetinted:

• Like 1