Mika gigs 2006: Pics /Videos/Reports/Press

mari62

Thanks for this great article, Dani!

I especially find the bit about the thigh slapping funny, and...........What is this about Holy Johnny?

He was doing it already in 2005? I thought that he was telling us in 2007 that 'this is a new song' .... :fisch: :naughty:

the report refers to the performance of december 13th 2006, so maybe Holy Johnny was already done :wink2::thumb_yello:

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/music/gig-23352077-details/Mika/gigReview.do?reviewId=23378106

Mika

Reindeer Theatre, Old Truman Brewery

Brick Lane, E1 6QL

Stripped-down set from a rising star

By André Paine, Evening Standard 13.12.06

Mika

Based above a car park near Brick Lane, The Reindeer is a temporary venue and restaurant with a furtive feel. There's a thrill in going up the stairs behind the metal shutters and discovering the festive surroundings, including fake antlers as light fittings, which will all be gone after 24 December.

Flamboyant newcomer Mika seems certain to be a more permanent presence in pop. The 23-year-old Beirut-born singer moved to Britain as a child and found his place as one of life's outsiders. He was bullied at Westminster School and made music his escape, even training as an opera singer.

When he bounded on stage wearing gold shoes and a big grin, the bullying stories rang very true. But burgeoning success has clearly compensated for the name-calling, while a deal to be one of the faces of Paul Smith suggests that he is becoming a style icon.

As with Lily Allen, Mika's tunes have become MySpace hits ahead of the record company schedule. "I know I haven't released a single yet, so it's pretty amazing you're all here," he told the crowd. This was a stripped-down set with Mika - the surname's a mystery for now - pounding the piano alongside a friend on acoustic guitar and backing vocals.

But even nearly naked, the new single Grace Kelly was an irresistible slice of sassy pop, with Mika name-checking one key influence in the lyrics: Freddie Mercury. Like the Queen singer, Mika was supremely confident on stage and his emergence as a fully formed frontman feels like a rare occurrence.

There were shades of Robbie Williams on the mouthy My Interpretation, but he was at his best screaming falsetto on Love Today. It was a piano version, but the song's Seventies disco pulse was intact and Scissor Sisters fans will surely embrace it.

Sometimes he got a bit overexcited, slapping his thighs with pleasure at his own performance. However, the mournful Over My Shoulder was a surprising departure and he encored with a comical Christmas song, Holy Johnny. So while 2007 already appears to belong to Mika, his versatility as a songwriter suggests he can achieve longevity, too.

Nice and interesting article thanks!!

Is Holy Johnny a comical Xmas song?? :D

Hahahaha, Bob Pinciotti! XDD

About Ibiza, his first time ever there was in 2006 and he was at Manumission in a smaller room close to the Fat Boy Slim "gig?", and people ended licking speakers :naughty:

Edited by Queenie

WOW!! I knew that pic but didn't know it was from Manumission! :thumb_yello: there must be other pics around then ;)

here's the article, (on the site you can see the pics of the other bands that played there) just in case it'd disappear from the net in the future ;) :

----------------------------------------

<<The Manumission end game

Published on Wed, 6 Sep 2006. By the Mean But Clean Team.

Band photo special - the Automatic, the View, Klaxons, Futureheads, New Pony Club, Underground Heroes and the soon to be huge Mika.

Blurring the boundary between fantasy and reality is the Manumission mode of operation, but it backfired spectacularly last Friday at Bar M when a staged fight got out of hand and a brawl erupted, spilling out into the street. Oh dear, Manumission hits the front pages again.

But the publicity didn't stop a decent crowd turning out last night for to enjoy another night of communal new band appreciation.

The unknown, unsigned and Underground Heroes were first up, followed by the View from Scotland who got to number 15 in the UK single charts with 'Wasted Little Djs', and the Welsh Automatic, who've been gigging solidly and cracked the top five a couple of months back.

We're relieved to report that apart from a bit of beer throwing there were no violent incidents, tho Alex Pennie from the headlining Automatic thrashed his keyboard pitilessly.

Pennie (left) and Frost @ Bar M - September 4, 2006

His stage-stealing performance was the night's highlight, others included the rollicking cover of 'Gold Digger' by hip hop messiah Kanye West featuring a flute and three 'Mish bitches.

the Automatic @ Bar M - September 4, 2006

Pennie & Gabby @ Bar M - September 4, 2006

Ibiza Rocks @ Bar M - September 4, 2006

Goldierocks @ Bar M - September 4, 2006

Their final track was the paranoid smash 'Monster'. You know, the one with the dumb chorus that goes "What's that coming over the hill - is it a monster? Is it a monster?' which went down particularly well with the mixture of holidaymakers and workers let in to bulk up the crowd a bit.

Peter Reilly & Kyle Falconer (right) from the View @ Bar M - September 4, 2006

Earlier the shaggy and innocuous-looking lead singer of the View, Kyle Falconer (above right), startled all unfamiliar with his knock-you-down howl that rivals Zep legend Robert Plant's for sheer power.

Our congrats to the member of the unsigned Underground Heroes who just passed his GCSEs.

Underground Heroes @ Bar M - September 4, 2006

Three weeks ago Futureheads did a Doherty and cancelled their scheduled appearance but made up for it with a driving display on August 23.

Barry Hyde from the Futureheads @ Bar M - August 23, 2006

Futureheads @ Bar M - August 23, 2006

Support band New Young Pony Club have several hummable tunes, a hot chick on keyboards, a mouthy one on lead vocals, and a rhythmic one on drums, who along with the two less photogenic dudes on bass and guitar kept the audience diverted with their early set.

Lou from New Young Pony Club @ Bar M - August 23, 2006

Sarah from New Young Pony Club @ Bar M - August 23, 2006

Tahita from New Young Pony Club @ Bar M - August 23, 2006

Bar M also hosted comedy rappers Goldie Lookin' Chain last Wednesday (August 30).

Click here for a photo report in the Spotlight forums.

Later that night they did a reconnaissance mission to Privilege for the banging Meganite, presumably to prepare for their Friday appearance at the club night Manumission.

The success of Bar M's wonderful outdoor stage has slightly overshadowed the Box concept but they've been some notable successes. The Klaxons wasn't one of them - the audience consisted of the Spotlight reviewer, Peaches Geldof, Colin Peters, Skin and about 30 others who'd accidentally stumbled in on the under-publicised gig.

Klaxons @ Manumission - August 11, 2006

That didn't slow down the beach wear-clad lads however as they ripped thru an original set consisting of rave tunes served indie-style.

However the most amazingly staggering thing witnessed in the Music Box this year was the allegedly second ever gig from the fame-bound Mika.

Mika @ Manumission - August 25, 2006

Manumission - August 25, 2006

Manumission - August 25, 2006

Uncle Buck @ Manumission - August 25, 2006

The scepticism is justified based on the mesmeric stage presence of the born-to-lead singer which brought to mind the glory of the Bee Gees, Neil Diamond, Elton John, and Supertramp in their prime.

At the conclusion of his heavenly set consternation was widespread. A woman came up to the Spotlight Mobile Research Unit in a panic.

"Who is this guy?" she panted. "Where can I buy his record?"

It's not even like you feel you need to talk about him, he's clearly going global. He doesn't need your help, the world already loves him it just doesn't know yet.>>

--------------------

I can't understand whether the last sentence is referred to Mika or to Uncle Buck .. I think to the second one.

The venue was called "The music box"

Edited by mari62

Manumission The Ibiza Love Diaries Opening Party

At Privilege, Ibiza on 21 Jul 2006

Lineup:

featuring The Streets Soundsystem with Mike Skinner in the Music Box

This summer Manumission presents a hot and sizzling summer of pure Ibiza love.

A series of 10 breathtakingly burlesque soirees, based on the Adventures of Mike and Claire and The Manumission Girls as discovered in The Ibiza Love Diaries. Earth Angels by day, Disco Divas by night. The Manumission Girls hang up their wings Every Friday from the 21st of July to the 22nd of September for your entertainment and appear live on the Manumission Stage.

For 10 fabulous Friday nights only we bring you some of the worlds finest DJs,, Rock and Roll bands, Icons and superstars. Make Love not War in The Music Box...with THE STREETS, PACO FERNANDEZ, BABYSHAMBLES, KASABIAN, THE FRATELLIS, THE KLAXONS, THE EGG, THE AUTOMATIC,, MIKA, and THE HIGHLIGHT TRIBE with many more to be announced in the coming days.

With Electronic Treats and World Beats provided by the hugely talented Tom Middleton and the astounding flamenco of Paco Fernandez...guest starring James Lavelle, Justin Robertson, Adam Freeland,, The Wise Guys and guests from Mr Mark Jones and The ever Rockin The Wall Of Sound…

ENJOY YOURSELF at Trailer Park Trash in the Candy Bar with our delicious emcee, Antonio Glamour, with full complement of Candy girls, Teddy boys and Naked Transsexuals.

Music will be provided by Ibiza Rocks. With ZANE LOWE , The Riotous Rockers,Filthy Dukes ,Jagz Kooner, and sweeter than candy Mr Colin Peters will be back by popular demand...

In The Main Room DJs including Manumission Favourite The One and Only FAT BOY SLIM will also be helping to take us on a Journey with world music through The Evolution of Man, Music and Dance...

http://www.clubtickets.com/es/2006-07/21/manumission.jsp

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/music/gig-23352077-details/Mika/gigReview.do?reviewId=23378106

Mika

Reindeer Theatre, Old Truman Brewery

Brick Lane, E1 6QL

Stripped-down set from a rising star

By André Paine, Evening Standard 13.12.06

Mika

Based above a car park near Brick Lane, The Reindeer is a temporary venue and restaurant with a furtive feel. There's a thrill in going up the stairs behind the metal shutters and discovering the festive surroundings, including fake antlers as light fittings, which will all be gone after 24 December.

Flamboyant newcomer Mika seems certain to be a more permanent presence in pop. The 23-year-old Beirut-born singer moved to Britain as a child and found his place as one of life's outsiders. He was bullied at Westminster School and made music his escape, even training as an opera singer.

When he bounded on stage wearing gold shoes and a big grin, the bullying stories rang very true. But burgeoning success has clearly compensated for the name-calling, while a deal to be one of the faces of Paul Smith suggests that he is becoming a style icon.

As with Lily Allen, Mika's tunes have become MySpace hits ahead of the record company schedule. "I know I haven't released a single yet, so it's pretty amazing you're all here," he told the crowd. This was a stripped-down set with Mika - the surname's a mystery for now - pounding the piano alongside a friend on acoustic guitar and backing vocals.

But even nearly naked, the new single Grace Kelly was an irresistible slice of sassy pop, with Mika name-checking one key influence in the lyrics: Freddie Mercury. Like the Queen singer, Mika was supremely confident on stage and his emergence as a fully formed frontman feels like a rare occurrence.

There were shades of Robbie Williams on the mouthy My Interpretation, but he was at his best screaming falsetto on Love Today. It was a piano version, but the song's Seventies disco pulse was intact and Scissor Sisters fans will surely embrace it.

Sometimes he got a bit overexcited, slapping his thighs with pleasure at his own performance. However, the mournful Over My Shoulder was a surprising departure and he encored with a comical Christmas song, Holy Johnny. So while 2007 already appears to belong to Mika, his versatility as a songwriter suggests he can achieve longevity, too.

very interesting article! love the last sentence, so true:thumb_yello:

t4p dani:thumb_yello:

mika1zy7.jpg

nice pic:wub2: reminds you of acoustic gigs:wub2:

Edited by Louiza

this review was originally posted by titania in the news section but i think it desrves a place in this thread

mika01.jpg

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.ibiza-spotlight.com/image/night/club_reviews/mishendgame06/mika01.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.ibiza-spotlight.com/night/reviews/2006/mishendgame06_i.htm&h=563&w=400&sz=68&hl=en&start=7&um=1&tbnid=rK967fCTVP5xLM:&tbnh=133&tbnw=94&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dmika%26svnum%3D10%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN

Here's an old mini review of Mika from when he performed at Manumission in Ibiza on Aug, 26, 2006. ( The gig which I believe he always mentions in concert ... as one of the very first... where the people started ballroom dancing to Billy Brown by the end of that song.)

I just posted this because I thought it was interesting to read something old, so much anticipating Mika's arrival... I hope this is alright... if it's a waste of a thread, please let me know.:bleh:

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.ibiza-spotlight.com/image/night/club_reviews/mishendgame06/mika01.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.ibiza-spotlight.com/night/reviews/2006/mishendgame06_i.htm&h=563&w=400&sz=68&hl=en&start=7&um=1&tbnid=rK967fCTVP5xLM:&tbnh=133&tbnw=94&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dmika%26svnum%3D10%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN (scroll down)

published on 6th September, 2006

"However the most amazingly staggering thing witnessed in the Music Box this year was the allegedly second ever gig from the fame-bound Mika.

The scepticism is justified based on the mesmeric stage presence of the born to lead singer which brought to mind the glory of the Bee Gees, Neil Diamond, Elton John, and Supertramp in their prime.

At the conclusion of his heavenly set consternation was widespread. A woman came upu to the Spotlight Mobile research Unit in a panic.

'Who is this guy?' she panted. 'Where can I buy his record?'

It's not even like you feel you need to talk about him , he's clearly going global. He doesn't need your help, the world already loves him it just doesn't know it yet."

this review was originally posted by titania in the news section but i think it desrves a place in this thread

Here's an old mini review of Mika from when he performed at Manumission in Ibiza on Aug, 26, 2006. ( The gig which I believe he always mentions in concert ... as one of the very first... where the people started ballroom dancing to Billy Brown by the end of that song.)

I just posted this because I thought it was interesting to read something old, so much anticipating Mika's arrival... I hope this is alright... if it's a waste of a thread, please let me know.:bleh:

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.ibiza-spotlight.com/image/night/club_reviews/mishendgame06/mika01.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.ibiza-spotlight.com/night/reviews/2006/mishendgame06_i.htm&h=563&w=400&sz=68&hl=en&start=7&um=1&tbnid=rK967fCTVP5xLM:&tbnh=133&tbnw=94&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dmika%26svnum%3D10%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN (scroll down)

published on 6th September, 2006

"However the most amazingly staggering thing witnessed in the Music Box this year was the allegedly second ever gig from the fame-bound Mika.

The scepticism is justified based on the mesmeric stage presence of the born to lead singer which brought to mind the glory of the Bee Gees, Neil Diamond, Elton John, and Supertramp in their prime.

At the conclusion of his heavenly set consternation was widespread. A woman came upu to the Spotlight Mobile research Unit in a panic.

'Who is this guy?' she panted. 'Where can I buy his record?'

It's not even like you feel you need to talk about him , he's clearly going global. He doesn't need your help, the world already loves him it just doesn't know it yet."

Thanks Netina :)

It's already posted on previous page ;) but I didn't know Titania posted it on MFC earlier

Can you pls post the link, so I can add it to the 2nd post?

As for the article, I wasn't sure the highlighted sentences were referred to Mika, but now I think they are, so thanks for pointing them out :)

(I was in doubt, as they are under a pic, where its written "Uncle Buck" above)

Thanks Netina :)

It's already posted on previous page ;) but I didn't know Titania posted it on MFC earlier

Can you pls post the link, so I can add it to the 2nd post?

As for the article, I wasn't sure the highlighted sentences were referred to Mika, but now I think they are, so thanks for pointing them out :)

(I was in doubt, as they are under a pic, where its written "Uncle Buck" above)

here's the link to it

http://www.mikafanclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3890

i knew it was kinda familiar. i think the highlighted bits made me think that it wasnt posted before here.

The year he played Bestival, I was going to go, as The Scissor Sisters were playing.

But it was the year of my eldest nephews 30th birthday, and it was his birthday that weekend, and as much as I tried to get the family to have a weekend away in the Isle Of Wight to celebrate it, they wouldn't go for it.

And I remember seeing Mikas name on the website, thinking it was a female singer, and maybe checking her out!:roftl:

The year he played Bestival, I was going to go, as The Scissor Sisters were playing.

But it was the year of my eldest nephews 30th birthday, and it was his birthday that weekend, and as much as I tried to get the family to have a weekend away in the Isle Of Wight to celebrate it, they wouldn't go for it.

And I remember seeing Mikas name on the website, thinking it was a female singer, and maybe checking her out!:roftl:

too bad it was the same weekend as your nephew's birthday. you would have been in one of his earliest gigs! which was the first mika gig that you attended?

the article was originally posted here http://www.mikafanclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3890

this part of it talks about two of the 2006 gigs

Forget dingy nightclubs or tatty pubs: Mika's first gig was at Ibiza's Manumission.

It seems appropriate that someone who lists his influences as "Beck via Queen and Elton John with a touch of Rufus Wainwright" made his glittering debut at one of the world's most decadent superclubs.

"It was a true baptism of fire,"

he says. "It was at 5.15 in the morning. There was this naked lady on stage actually licking my arm. My mum was there too, probably thinking, What the hell is my son doing up there?'"

The outrageous gig signalled the start of his very first tour.

"Be prepared to see my triumphs and mistakes. I know it's going to be very hyper and very silly and I'll be drunk," he says.

Mika should blend into these shores perfectly. "Brighton is going to be fun as I've got a lot of friends and fans there. One group call themselves the Glitterbugs and they've promised to come along and dress up ridiculously."

The deliciously flamboyant performer is one of the most interesting acts to emerge onto the music scene for some time.

the article was originally posted here http://www.mikafanclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3890

this part of it talks about two of the 2006 gigs

Forget dingy nightclubs or tatty pubs: Mika's first gig was at Ibiza's Manumission.

It seems appropriate that someone who lists his influences as "Beck via Queen and Elton John with a touch of Rufus Wainwright" made his glittering debut at one of the world's most decadent superclubs.

"It was a true baptism of fire,"

he says. "It was at 5.15 in the morning. There was this naked lady on stage actually licking my arm. My mum was there too, probably thinking, What the hell is my son doing up there?'"

The outrageous gig signalled the start of his very first tour.

"Be prepared to see my triumphs and mistakes. I know it's going to be very hyper and very silly and I'll be drunk," he says.

Mika should blend into these shores perfectly. "Brighton is going to be fun as I've got a lot of friends and fans there. One group call themselves the Glitterbugs and they've promised to come along and dress up ridiculously."

The deliciously flamboyant performer is one of the most interesting acts to emerge onto the music scene for some time.

Thanks for posting it here Netina! :thumb_yello::D