TOY BOY - Lyrics Discussion

Suzy

TOY BOY - Lyrics Discussion

I know this has already started, but let's move the discussion here. I want to know the words to his new songs! :mf_lustslow:

We should start a separate thread for each of them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXuYMSym-t4 .. Toy Boy

Christine's: Toy Boy:

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=56425071

FmBm's

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPkpmlhNtMA

-----------------------------------

Lyrics per Mikasounds.com

http://mikasounds.com/music/track/115/Toy_Boy

-----------------------------------

TOY BOY

I’m a wind up toy

in an up-down world

if you leave me all alone

I'll make a mess for sure

I’ve a heart of gold

in the smallest size

leave me in the dark

you never hear me cry

PRECHORUS 1:

more than an illustration

points of articulation

come to life on a brass spring

such a wonderful plaything

VERSE 2:

its a cruel cross

that I have to bear

if you come a little close

I’m going to pull your hair

more than just a toy

in a patched blue suit

when you hold me in your arms

I’m just a boy like you

but your momma thought

there was something wrong

didn’t want you sleeping

with a boy too long

It's a serious thing

in a grown-up world

maybe you’d be better

with a Barbie girl

PRECHORUS 2

you knew that

I adored ya

but you left me in Georgia

toys are not sentimental;

how could i be for rental?

VERSE 3

she’s the meanest hag

that has ever been

pulled out my insides

with an old safety pin

I’m the sorest sight

now i feel like trash

clothes are made of rags

and they don’t even match

so she dressed me up

as the man she loved

and threw me in a box

when she had had enough

now the light of day

I no longer see

she stuck her voodoo pins

where my eyes used to be

PRECHORUS 3

accidentally tragic

victim of her black magic

had a boy once who loved me

now he’s so afraid of me

VERSE 4

on a long lost day

when you’re grey and old

you’ll be there remembering

your old toy boy

when your only son’s

wondering what to be

tell him the story of

a boy like me

oooooooo

oooooooo

Edited by Christine

Ooooooooooooooh! Mika is a male doll! I get it now! :naughty:

Wow, you are a genius lyrical transcriber. There were heaps I couldn't get, but now thanks to you I hear them :naughty:

One little typo I noticed and that's it.

*urges Nono's internet/youtube to hurry*

The Georgia is a girl theory is interetsing, but he clearly says IN Georgia, and ... okay I don't want to think about how that might be techinically possible :lol3:

-------------

Hold me in your arms I’m just a boy like you

But your mama thought there was somethin’ wrong

Didn’t want you sleeping with a boy too long

It’s a serious thing in a grown-up world

Maybe you’d be better with a Barbie girl

Hmmm...sounds like someone got spited. but then it switches around. Hard to tell with this one folks.

-----------

The FIRST part of the song makes perfect sense. He (Mika/the narrator/whoever) is basically complaining about being used as a plaything by the man he loved--ie, not being treated as a serious relationship, but just a distraction to pass the time. He wants to be more than that, a boyfriend, but the guy's mother doesn't approve, and so eventually the guy ditches him.

And then it gets weird, because if the mother is the hag, why would she dress him up "as the man she loved" or put him away "when she had enough"? Unless this is REALLY twisted and the mom used him as her sex-plaything of her own, that can't be it.

So instead then let's take "you left me in Georgia" as meaning his boyfriend left him... ahem, well, let's have Georgia be a woman's name, and that lyric becomes the kind of initially-innocent-seeming but actually-dirty pun he likes so much. Then "How could I be for rental?" makes more sense too, ie, the guy basically pimped him out, or shuffled him onto some chick to get rid of him. (The only other meaning of that line I can figure is that he's complaining about being used as a "rental" by the guy--to play with and then return--but the question format of it doesn't quite jibe with that.)

Then, ok, Georgia used and abused him in her own turn, making him into what she wanted a lover to be instead of letting him be what he was. Still not sure why he's afraid of the guy at the end though (as opposed to being, say, angry at him).

--Jack

Hahah. A gold heart by itself, especially in the form of a picture, has nothing to do with prostitutes. But "a hooker with a heart of gold" is an established saying:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hooker_with_a_heart_of_gold

If the end of the song is "Had a boy once who loved me, now he's so afraid of me" as opposed to "How’d a boy who’d so loved you now be so afraid of you?" that makes more sense, ok. And I agree with Oakie that yes, the song is about being in love with someone whose mother disapproved and chased him off... but that whole hag/man she loved/had enough thing keeps puzzling me. Because yeah, if the hag's the mother, then... bizarre. Even aside from the general twisted factor of taking your son's boyfriend (!) why would Mika's character go along with that and allow the woman who broke his relationship apart use him as a sex toy?

--Jack

----------

Edited by Suzy

i thought that the only part referring to the mother were the lyrics with the barbie girl.

and then he moves on to the other person tho whom the song is addressed to. :blink:

this includes the last verse as well :wink2:

It is sooooo awesome being here to discuss the new album though, right? :biggrin2:

Okay, so we should really finish off the lyrics, I'm just stuck on one line :mad3:

(So this is mostly lovempls' fabulous work) (You can hear the last verse best in Nono's video)

Toy Boy

I’m a wind-up toy in an up down world

If you leave me all alone, I’ll make a mess for sure

I’ve a heart of gold and the smartest styles

Leave me in the dark, you’ll never hear me cry

More than an illustration

Points of articulation

Come to life on a brass spring

Such a wonderful plaything

It’s a cruel cross that I have to bear

Come a little closer I’m going to pull your hair

More than just a toy in a patch-blue suit

But your mama thought there was something wrong

You were that I adored-ah

But you left me in Georgia

Toys are not sentimental

How could I be for rental?

She’s the meanest hag that has ever been

Pulled out my insides with an old safety pin

I’m the sorest sight, now I feel like trash

Clothes are made of rags and they don’t even match

So she dressed me up as the man she loved

Then threw me in a box when she had had enough

Now the light of day I no longer see

She stuck her voodoo pins where my eyes used to be

Accidentally tragic

Victim of her black magic

How’d a boy who’d so loved you

Now be so afraid of you?

On a long lost day when you’re grey and old

Would you be there remembering your old toy boy?

When your *something*

Tell them the story of a boy like me

OooooOOOooOoOOoooOOOO...

.. I have some work to do now so let me write down my interpretation in brief

Part I: Toy Boy has his first relationship with a man who then throws him away like a toy

Part II: Toy Boy becomes a rental boy of a middle aged woman who tries to shape him to her taste...

He turns into a lifeless toy without a real identity:cool:

off to work now.

Thanks for the videos everyone:thumb_yello:

-----------

Ooh! *subscribes*

Okay, I'm all out of new ideas now :naughty:

Can anyone tell what that second last line is? :mad3:

It seems like it should be something about grandchildren or something, but I have no idea.

Oooooooooooooooh, didn't someone say that Mika said he went to an old people's home to inspiration?

I mentioned it in another thread yesterday that it might be the tune playing in the ice cream truck:

http://www.mikafanclub.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2233133&postcount=240

Video from lovempls:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuswJTGjmqQ

Suzy, that is supersleuthing at its best.:thumb_yello:

So is the truck playing MIKA, or is Mika using the icecream man's song???:blink:

Edit: I tweeted them to find out.

Edited by Blue Sky

Pretty much the entire discussion so far, in order:

Great job on the Toy Boy lyrics, lovemepls!

However, I gotta say... the only way the story of that song makes sense to me if "Georgia" is a woman and not a state.

--Jack

thanks for that !

It almost reads to me like a mother who didnt want her son dating another man

Thanks for the lyrics! The song makes a lot more sense now! I like the way it's written as well... It sounds oh so funny but the meaning behind it can be very 'darkish' idd

But your mama thought there was somethin’ wrong

Hmmm...sounds like someone got spited. but then it switches around. Hard to tell with this one folks.

maybe i'm generally interpeting too little - but, judging from the lyrics you wrote down, couldn't it be that the song is just written from the point of view of a male toy doll? anyway that's the first thing i see in it. the boy isn't allowed to sleep with his male doll anymore, he leaves it in georgia, then it is sold (?) to a girl who destroys it.

i think its written from a double point of veiw - from that of a male partner (mika?) and comparing his situation to that of a doll.

likewise!! I never expcted it. When I first watched it on YouTube I could only hear snippets, you could see Mika "flirting" with the lyrics "I'm just a boy like you..." "SHE'S THE MEANEST HAG THERE HAS EVER BEEN...." and this just made the song sound funny. But when I actually listened to the words it's actually really serious and you can tell that - whether this story to be fact or fiction - this person's feelings has been toyed around (literally) and really hurt. I love the whole metaphor for the song.

yes exactly. i'm getting genuinely excited for this stuff. My first impression was 'OMG, what is up with these lyrics/surprise that mika was saying he's gay/bi.

then seeing the lyrics written down - wow - and seeing the absolute playfulness of this song, but then with the lyrics, that are very very, dark.

you know what this makes me think of? lollipop, on a much better level. tune is even happier, lyrics even darker.

Even when I read the lyrics I felt bad for laughing lol but Mika tried to turn it into an amusing song rather than a serious one I think, judging by his actions and the way he sings some words live. But true, it is a serious song if you strip all that away.

Everyone's reading so far into it... it's like you're trying to make it about him being gay

I think the whole song could be about the same girl. They loved each other, but her mom disapproved. So the girl dumped him and he was distraught.

It could be that straightforward, too.

The FIRST part of the song makes perfect sense. He (Mika/the narrator/whoever) is basically complaining about being used as a plaything by the man he loved--ie, not being treated as a serious relationship, but just a distraction to pass the time. He wants to be more than that, a boyfriend, but the guy's mother doesn't approve, and so eventually the guy ditches him.

And then it gets weird, because if the mother is the hag, why would she dress him up "as the man she loved" or put him away "when she had enough"? Unless this is REALLY twisted and the mom used him as her sex-plaything of her own, that can't be it.

So instead then let's take "you left me in Georgia" as meaning his boyfriend left him... ahem, well, let's have Georgia be a woman's name, and that lyric becomes the kind of initially-innocent-seeming but actually-dirty pun he likes so much. Then "How could I be for rental?" makes more sense too, ie, the guy basically pimped him out, or shuffled him onto some chick to get rid of him. (The only other meaning of that line I can figure is that he's complaining about being used as a "rental" by the guy--to play with and then return--but the question format of it doesn't quite jibe with that.)

Then, ok, Georgia used and abused him in her own turn, making him into what she wanted a lover to be instead of letting him be what he was. Still not sure why he's afraid of the guy at the end though (as opposed to being, say, angry at him).

--Jack

Okay. Okay. I've got it now.

The story in the song is: A little boy has a male-doll that he loves, his mum thinks he is gay and dissaproves and tries to put a stop to it by taking the doll away and ripping it appart and hiding.

The story is a metaphor for: The character in the song/Mika (the doll) is a guy, who is dating a guy (the little boy), who's mother disapproves of him being gay and tries to break them up.

Yeah. Mika's right - you listen to a happy tune because it's catchy and makes you feel happy, and this song certainly has a nursery rhyme feel to it (boppy tune...reminded me of "ring-a-round the roses...sorta) and the snippets I heard were played in an amusing way...the way he sings SHE'S THE MEANEST HAG THERE'S EVER BEEN just makes me LOL...and when he sings about clothes not matching just makes it sound funny because, without hearing the rest of the words, makes it sound like he's just finding stuff to complain about being with this woman who he doesn't even want to be with...

"pulled out my insides with an old safety pin...."

On a first glance it's just funny. Sounds childish. But this song really IS like most of the nursery rhymes out there......they're all the same. Nursery rhymes and even the origins of disney storylines are dark and horrible.

Ring-a-round the roses, a pocket full of posies, atishoo, atishoo, we all fall down...

HELLO?? That song is about people dying LOL. I think. Or just becoming seriously ill.

1) Happy ending sounded like a love song but it was really about losing things.

I think I could write something along the same lines when I think of seeing a toy that could have been loved once, now the saddest sight.

Like an old teddy bear without much stuffing, no eyes and the fur all patchy, shoved in a box after it's owner got too old and got new toys they loved more.

Well the part in the end (which isn't the end I guess) I'm pretty sure he actually says "Had a boy once who loved me, now he's so afraid of me" which would make sense if it was the mother doing the voodoo and all

Reading through the Toy Boy discussion has been extremely interesting.

I just remembered that Mika said he was planning to get inspiration from other people's stories and mentioned he was going to visit an old folk's home. So if he did, did someone have a bizarre life story that intrigued him?

Btw, yes, I DO "left me in Georgia" exactly the way you're imagining. This song has a LOT of prostitution imagery (see, maybe the stripper was quite in line with his new direction)! Ie, "heart of gold" is usually used for hookers. The idea of people who can be picked up, used as "playthings," and then put away definitely goes along with that too. And not to mention the "rental" line... "rent boys" anybody? Plus you know, toy boy/ boy toy, etc etc.

--Jack

Gosh, you're right. Every way I look at it the mum ends up having a fling with the doll-character. Which is just TOO twisted for a Mika song. I hope But the "it's a girl/the kid's girlfriend" doesn't go for me, I'm just not seeing it.

ALTHOUGH. TITLE!?? "Toy boy"? Maybe it's not too twisted, maybe that is the mum.

Hahah. A gold heart by itself, especially in the form of a picture, has nothing to do with prostitutes. But "a hooker with a heart of gold" is an established saying:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hooker_with_a_heart_of_gold

If the end of the song is "Had a boy once who loved me, now he's so afraid of me" as opposed to "How’d a boy who’d so loved you now be so afraid of you?" that makes more sense, ok. And I agree with Oakie that yes, the song is about being in love with someone whose mother disapproved and chased him off... but that whole hag/man she loved/had enough thing keeps puzzling me. Because yeah, if the hag's the mother, then... bizarre. Even aside from the general twisted factor of taking your son's boyfriend (!) why would Mika's character go along with that and allow the woman who broke his relationship apart use him as a sex toy?

--Jack

.. I have some work to do now so let me write down my interpretation in brief

Part I: Toy Boy has his first relationship with a man who then throws him away like a toy

Part II: Toy Boy becomes a rental boy of a middle aged woman who tries to shape him to her taste...

He turns into a lifeless toy without a real identity

"She stuck her voodoo pins where my eyes used to be

Accidentally tragic

Now be so afraid of you?"

Actually, it does sound like Mika/doll character was swayed by the mother/girl to change as well.

I wish I could understand the last verse!

EDIT: Noooo. I just realised "How’d a boy who’d so loved you, Now be so afraid of you?" is talking about the boy being afraid of the mother/girl, not the doll being afraid of the boy. Now I'm just confused.

hehehe mika is very philisophical he actually really is i mean i dont know any other artist who can shape a song the way he does there can be a million and one different interpretations of them and all of them are valid...they are like stories

example:

people can think happy ending is a love story but mikas interpretation he always thought it was about homeless people

What is it with Georgia? In the other song: "Her name was Georgia and she was gorgeous".................

Oh' date=' AMP! That's what I meant to say at the start, but I forgot all about it.

WHAT IF ... the new album is a concept/story album? What if all the songs in the album relate to the same 'story'? And the Georgia in Good Gone Girl is the same one in Toy Boy?

IF the Georgia in Toy Boy is a girl and not a state, it seems odd for him to have randomly used the name Georgia in two songs.[/quote']

AND MAYBE GEORGIA IS THE GOLDEN DONKEY, and mika is even MORE perv then we were all thinking?

Sorry if this has already been said..but does anyone think Toy Boy is the 'cinderella' song from the second New Music blog? The lyrics and tempo fit that music. Or am I being totally obvious now.

:cheerful_h4h:

• Like 1

(lvempls lyrics)

Accidentally tragic

Now be so afraid of you?

But doesn't Mika sing:

How'd a boy who'd so loved me

Now be so afraid of me

To me it sounds more as Me rather then You...

• Like 1

(lvempls lyrics)

Accidentally tragic

Now be so afraid of you?

But doesn't Mika sing:

How'd a boy who'd so loved me

Now be so afraid of me

To me it sounds more as Me rather then You...

I agree, to me it sounds like "me" too

Oh so there is a seperate thread for the songs, good!:thumb_yello:

I have to say these lyrics really intrigue me for whatever reason. It can just be what it is, the point of view of a doll:roftl: but it can also be about some serious stuff. I love lyrics that are cryptical / use metaphors... We just don't know yet what it's truly about but it's fun to give your own little interpretation to them.:thumb_yello:

He was in such an inspired mood when he wrote it.

It is a meaningful sad song dressed up with catchy rhymes and rythm. Love it.:wub2:

I love the way you can make a hundred and more interpretations to this.

Thanks for the videos and the lyrics guys, they are all awesome!!! :thumb_yello:

Edited by Zsina

Let me extend my interpretation

Part 0 Prologue: another song TB feels lonely (The Only Lonely One)

Part I: Toy Boy has his first relationship with a man who then throws him away like a toy. (TB)

Part II: Toy Boy becomes a rental boy of a middle aged woman who tries to shape him to her taste...He turns into a lifeless toy with a fake identity (TB)

Part III: - another song following man who used to be with TB... He tries to overcome his feelings and 'become normal'.... (song not yet released.. title ... perhaps hmmm. Cold Heart or sg:naughty:)

Part IV: another song .... We learn that he now lives an ordinary life, has 2 kids, a dog and a cautionary wife....then.. you know the rest:naughty: (BB)

:cool:......

Edited by suzie

Let me extend my interpretation

Part I: Toy Boy has his first relationship with a man who then throws him away like a toy.

Part II: Toy Boy becomes a rental boy of a middle aged woman who tries to shape him to her taste...He turns into a lifeless toy with a fake identity

:cool:......

I find your part II very interesting! I didn't even think about that one! My oh my! Kinky stuff!:naughty:

It is a little bit difficult for me to understand all the subtleties of the lyrics because I am French :blush-anim-cl: but I already love this song:thumb_yello:

Thank you very much:wub2: