TOY BOY - Lyrics Discussion

Suzy

Suzy, that is supersleuthing at its best.:thumb_yello:

So is the truck playing MIKA, or is Mika using the icecream man's song???:blink:

Edit: I tweeted them to find out.

I think it was Mika's song being played. A bit of a teaser that they wouldn't realise about till later, when they actually heard the song.

Suzy, that is supersleuthing at its best.:thumb_yello:

So is the truck playing MIKA, or is Mika using the icecream man's song???:blink:

Edit: I tweeted them to find out.

There is absolutely no need for you to twitter on that, just listen to it:wink2:

Edited by suzie

I thought it was there lyrics, which make more sense and are more relevant.

I’m a wind-up toy in an up down world

If you leave me all alone, I’ll make a mess for sure

I’ve a heart of gold in a smaller size(Meaning im just like you, only smaller.)

Leave me in the dark, you’ll never hear me cry

More than an illustration

Points of articulation

Come to life on a brass spring

Such a wonderful plaything

It’s a cruel cross that I have to bear

With all the little girls who want to pull your hair (Meaning all the little girls like him and want the doll, but he wants to stay with the boy)

More than just a toy in a patch-blue suit

Hold me in your arms I’m just a boy like you

But your mama thought there was somethin’ wrong

Didn’t want you sleeping with a boy too long

It’s a serious thing in a grown-up world

Maybe you’d be better with a Barbie girl

You knew that I adored ya

But you left me in Georgia

Toys are not sentimental

How could I be for rental?

She’s the meanest hag that has ever been

Pulled out my insides with an old safety pin

I’m the sorest sight, now I feel like trash

Clothes are made of rags and they don’t even match

So she dressed me up as the man she loved

Then threw me in a box when she had had enough

Now the light of day I no longer see

She stuck her voodoo pins where my eyes used to be

Accidentally tragic

Victim of her black magic

How’d a boy who’d so loved you

Now be so afraid of you?

I just think those are some key lines in teh song. Correct me if im wrong ;)

Ok, here was my take on it.

THE STORY IN THE LYRICS....

The toy boy is loved by and loving a little boy. But th emother doesnt approve of him playing with a boy doll, so she pursuades teh boy that its not good. So the boy leaves him "in Georgia" meaning just leaves him somewhere and moves on.

I didnt really think of Shes The Meanest Hag as the mum, i thought of it more like just any woman in general who took and had a relationship with toy boy.

LITERALLY, in real life terms, i got this.

Toy boy was in a relationship with a man, but the mother didnt approve. The two of them seperated, though Toy Boy still missed the man he loved. Then some woman, (i didnt necesarily get the vibe that it was the mother) took Toy Boy and changed him into something he wasnt. Toy Boy wasnt happy about it, and by the end he is completely different, having lost everything that the man from the begining loved about him and everything that made him just that....him.

Does anyone agree?

And I cant find the last few lines of the song after "on a long lost day when youre gray and old...."

For all you musicians out there, this song is really, really easy. It's just A, D, E over and over again. I've been messing around with it in my guitar.

I love how it sounds like a music box. :wub2:

It does doesn't it. It is magical:wub2:

For all you musicians out there, this song is really, really easy. It's just A, D, E over and over again. I've been messing around with it in my guitar.

I love how it sounds like a music box. :wub2:

THANK YOU SO MUCH!

quick question. or comment. whatever.

The whole...mum's toy thing, I dont see it like that.

Im jsut hearing it like Toy Boy meaning jsut that, a TOY little doll who happens to be male. XD

I dont think theres really that much that has to do with the mother behind it.

some might find this interesting... the word "hag" is a description my gay friends use to describe a straight woman that is always around them - either a good friend or obsessed female companion ... it is usually used with a word before it... though most hags prefer to be called fruit flies

some might find this interesting... the word "hag" is a description my gay friends use to describe a straight woman that is always around them - either a good friend or obsessed female companion ... it is usually used with a word before it... though most hags prefer to be called fruit flies

oh, yes. I can vaguely remember Boy George calling George Michael's girlfriend a 'fag hag' in the eighties....:naughty:

oh, yes. I can vaguely remember Boy George calling George Michael's girlfriend a 'fag hag' in the eighties....:naughty:

vaguely :naughty:

that's the exact term used :thumb_yello:... still very commonly used... even in 2009 :roftl:... and might be relevant to the song... in a way :naughty:...

it will keep some people entertaining in the guessing game...

:roftl:

So I've read throughthe lyrics multiple times and I don't understand where everyone seem this 'gay' thing coming into play.

i'm not getting onto the topic of is he gay or straight or whatever cause I have my own opinion and this isn't the place to discuss it.

I just want to know where and why everyone gets the 'gay' image because I'm not getting that from just the lyrics.

So I've read throughthe lyrics multiple times and I don't understand where everyone seem this 'gay' thing coming into play.

i'm not getting onto the topic of is he gay or straight or whatever cause I have my own opinion and this isn't the place to discuss it.

I just want to know where and why everyone gets the 'gay' image because I'm not getting that from just the lyrics.

Because you've got two boys here. The Toy Boy of the title (the singer compares himself to a toy, not his beloved), and the boy that the Toy Boy singer loves. Also: "I'm a boy just like you,"--the two lovers in the first part are both male, so, that's your gay thing.

--Jack

Ok, here was my take on it.

THE STORY IN THE LYRICS....

The toy boy is loved by and loving a little boy. But th emother doesnt approve of him playing with a boy doll, so she pursuades teh boy that its not good. So the boy leaves him "in Georgia" meaning just leaves him somewhere and moves on.

funny how it is the youngests here who first mention the original meaning of the story.. :blink:

I never evem thought about what the words mean literally ....:naughty:

I agree with you. I have analysed the song for hours and I can't see anything 'gay'.

I think people don't read the lyrics from the very FIRST line to the LAST line, which is extremely important.

I also think the lyrics of this song are way too dark and serious just to label them as 'gay', or 'involving gay'. How lame.

I will type my interpretation of it tomorrow as I can't right now due to tiredness :thumbdown: and my review and close reading of these lyrics will be posted tomorrow because then I'll have more time :thumb_yello:

I agree with you. I have analysed the song for hours and I can't see anything 'gay'.

I think people don't read the lyrics from the very FIRST line to the LAST line, which is extremely important.

I also think the lyrics of this song are way too dark and serious just to label them as 'gay', or 'involving gay'. How lame.

I will type my interpretation of it tomorrow as I can't right now due to tiredness :thumbdown: and my review and close reading of these lyrics will be posted tomorrow because then I'll have more time :thumb_yello:

I don't think there is a need to call anyone's point of view "lame" just because you don't see it in the same way...

I think the beauty of art is that it can be interpreted subjectively...

if you see it this way, good for you...

if others see it in another... then great...

that's what makes music organic...

and that's what makes mika's music even more entertaining... :thumb_yello:

I don't think there is a need to call anyone's point of view "lame" just because you don't see it in the same way...

I think the beauty of art is that it can be interpreted subjectively...

if you see it this way, good for you...

if others see it in another... then great...

that's what makes music organic...

and that's what makes mika's music even more entertaining... :thumb_yello:

Okay...not 'lame', but superficial. That's how I see it.

The other interpretations are welcome of course.

Don't take it so personal :thumb_yello:

Good for you :thumb_yello:

Okay...not 'lame', but superficial. That's how I see it.

The other interpretations are welcome of course.

Don't take it so personal :thumb_yello:

Good for you :thumb_yello:

I never take anything personal dear.... especially here... just respectful of others ...

Can't wait to hear your deep interpretation tomorrow... :thumb_yello:

I never take anything personal dear.... especially here... just respectful of others ...

Can't wait to hear your deep interpretation tomorrow... :thumb_yello:

Well of course you don't...

Good :thumb_yello: I bet you do.

Edited by keti

Because you've got two boys here. The Toy Boy of the title (the singer compares himself to a toy, not his beloved), and the boy that the Toy Boy singer loves. Also: "I'm a boy just like you,"--the two lovers in the first part are both male, so, that's your gay thing.

--Jack

alright, but I still don't really get the idea that being 'gay' is such a big part of it. maybe because I don't believe in sexual orientation, but it's just not fitting for me.

THANK YOU! thats it. can't wait to hear what you have to say.

with the whole 'gay' thing aside I agree with everyone else. He's being used...etc. The 'hag' thing is a little confusing to me too :blink: I'm not fsure what to make of it yet.

THANK YOU! thats it. can't wait to hear what you have to say.

The 'hag' thing is a little confusing to me too :blink: I'm not fsure what to make of it yet.

HERE.

A hag is a wizened old woman, or a kind of fairy or goddess having the appearance of such a woman, often found in folklore and children's tales such as Hansel and Gretel.

Take a look.

...She's the meanest hag that has ever been

Pulled out my insides with an old safety pin...

...So she dressed me up as the man she loved

Then threw me in a box when she had had enough

Now the light of day I no longer see

She stuck her voodoo pins where my eyes used to be...

....Accidentally tragic

Victim of her black magic...

You just need to read the lyrics. :wink2: