TOY BOY - Lyrics Discussion

Suzy

I don't know if anyone has noticed this, but I have the SFS toy boy and TBWKTM toy boy on my ipod, and one song came after the other on shuffle and I noticed tha at the beginning of SFS toy boy is the like flute intro, but TBWKTM one doesn't have it. :dunno:

Weird, both my SFS and TBWKTM have the intro...

I love, love Toy Boy! :wub2: It's one of my favorite songs on TBWKTM.

I always want to animate a music video for it when I hear it. It inspires me and I'm not sure why, but I like it. :naughty:

Oh and both of my Toy Boys have the same intro as well...:dunno:

• 3 weeks later...

I think i'm a bit obsessed with trying to work out the meanings of songss, so i'm going to bed after this one:roftl:

I think it's saying how he's easily influenced, & a very open person because it's called Toy Boy. It's quite a patronizing song, as if he's annoyed that people don't take him seriously enough maybe? That, just because he's open to peoples opinions & views suddenly means he doesn't know enough, & this annoys him? & The fact he doesn't know who's being fake & real with him?

He's very dependant on other people too, but he's very lively & the people who know him most understand who he is. "I've a heart of gold, in the smallest size" meaning, that when he's noticed as who he really is, he's .. great? But it's small because people, like press & media only see one side of him. You never hear him moan about it, even when he's not noticed.

The prechorus 1 carries on saying he is who he is but other people see him & hear about him and DON'T KNOW him. He comes to life around the people he loves. Verse 2, says how he deals with it, that accepts the fact people are going to only see his stage, and singer side of him and he's alright with that because if people he doesn't love get too close, he's going to "pull your hair" suggesting he won't be very happy:teehee: Saying he's more than just a toy is saying he's more than just an artist, & that when you get to know him he's actually probably different & he's just like everyone else.

Then when he says "But your momma thought there was something wrong, didn't want you sleeping with a boy too long" I think that is about his sexuality, and because of it, he felt that some people were against or didn't like him because of it, even though it doesn't make him who he is completely. & Then it goes back to the patronizing bit about him, and the fact he is bi, & a well known singer, meant that he should have this lovely girl, that fits in & looks good on the front of a magazine.

"You knew that i adored ya, but you left me in Georgia, toys are not sentimental, how could i be for rental" Is about maybe his lost opportunities of finding someone because he's famous? Now he has become a succesful singer, he doesn't know how to find out who truly loves him. And the person who might, is going to be harder for him to find now he's this big. It's kind of saying how could people who don't even know him claim that they love him?

The next few verses are talking about someone he thought he loved? Or a previous relationship or something but is the evidence that they didn't really love him.

OOH. Yeahh because when it says "clothes are made of rags and they don't even match" that's saying he's not like her at all & they have nothing in common SO then he sings "so she dressed me up as the man she loved, and threw me in a box when she had had enough" it means, she's trying to turn him into something that she could love, but he wants to be loved for who he is. "Now the light of day i no longer see, she stuck her vodoo pins where my eyes used to be" finally means he trusted her, & thought he loved, & though she loved him for who he was but she hurt him, & now he doesn't know if he can trust again, & he doesn't see the light in finding someone.:shocked:

He's finishing with the last few verses, saying that someone might of loved him if he hadn't became so well known, but now they're afraid of him because of maybe what they could be hearing about him from media & not believing in hope of getting to know him.

Now he knows he's made the mistake of not getting to know someone for who they are, and thinking it would be that easy to find someone who truly loves him now he's famous. "When your oldest son's wondering what to be, tell him the story of a boy like me" basically saying, make sure people don't make the same mistake!

Reaaaddd it PLEASE:wub2:

Took me ages to think & write that,:biggrin2:

I think i'm a bit obsessed with trying to work out the meanings of songss' date=' so i'm going to bed after this one:roftl:

I think it's saying how he's easily influenced, & a very open person because it's called Toy Boy. It's quite a patronizing song, as if he's annoyed that people don't take him seriously enough maybe? That, just because he's open to peoples opinions & views suddenly means he doesn't know enough, & this annoys him? & The fact he doesn't know who's being fake & real with him?

He's very dependant on other people too, but he's very lively & the people who know him most understand who he is. "I've a heart of gold, in the smallest size" meaning, that when he's noticed as who he really is, he's .. great? But it's small because people, like press & media only see one side of him. You never hear him moan about it, even when he's not noticed.

The prechorus 1 carries on saying he is who he is but other people see him & hear about him and DON'T KNOW him. He comes to life around the people he loves. Verse 2, says how he deals with it, that accepts the fact people are going to only see his stage, and singer side of him and he's alright with that because if people he doesn't love get too close, he's going to "pull your hair" suggesting he won't be very happy:teehee: Saying he's more than just a toy is saying he's more than just an artist, & that when you get to know him he's actually probably different & he's just like everyone else.

Then when he says "But your momma thought there was something wrong, didn't want you sleeping with a boy too long" I think that is about his sexuality, and because of it, he felt that some people were against or didn't like him because of it, even though it doesn't make him who he is completely. & Then it goes back to the patronizing bit about him, and the fact he is bi, & a well known singer, meant that he should have this lovely girl, that fits in & looks good on the front of a magazine.

"You knew that i adored ya, but you left me in Georgia, toys are not sentimental, how could i be for rental" Is about maybe his lost opportunities of finding someone because he's famous? Now he has become a succesful singer, he doesn't know how to find out who truly loves him. And the person who might, is going to be harder for him to find now he's this big. It's kind of saying how could people who don't even know him claim that they love him?

The next few verses are talking about someone he thought he loved? Or a previous relationship or something but is the evidence that they didn't really love him.

OOH. Yeahh because when it says "clothes are made of rags and they don't even match" that's saying he's not like her at all & they have nothing in common SO then he sings "so she dressed me up as the man she loved, and threw me in a box when she had had enough" it means, she's trying to turn him into something that she could love, but he wants to be loved for who he is. "Now the light of day i no longer see, she stuck her vodoo pins where my eyes used to be" finally means he trusted her, & thought he loved, & though she loved him for who he was but she hurt him, & now he doesn't know if he can trust again, & he doesn't see the light in finding someone.:shocked:

He's finishing with the last few verses, saying that someone might of loved him if he hadn't became so well known, but now they're afraid of him because of maybe what they could be hearing about him from media & not believing in hope of getting to know him.

Now he knows he's made the mistake of not getting to know someone for who they are, and thinking it would be that easy to find someone who truly loves him now he's famous. "When your oldest son's wondering what to be, tell him the story of a boy like me" basically saying, make sure people don't make the same mistake!

Took me ages to think & write that,:biggrin2:[/quote']

Well I can agree with some of your points here, but not quite sure whether the plot of the lyrics is entirely connected with his autobiographical experience. It's partly involved of course as it always has to be. But the topic of fame isn't crutial for Mika to be loved by someone. Where it comes to relationship I guess that he mainly feels deeply inside like before he became "fame". The same emotional problems, insecurity, unstability IMO.:wink2:

Well I can agree with some of your points here, but not quite sure whether the plot of the lyrics is entirely connected with his autobiographical experience. It's partly involved of course as it always has to be. But the topic of fame isn't crutial for Mika to be loved by someone. Where it comes to relationship I guess that he mainly feels deeply inside like before he became "fame". The same emotional problems, insecurity, unstability IMO.:wink2:

Yeahh, yeah. I totally agree. But obviously everyone interupts songs differently, & this is MY INTERPRETATION:naughty: Thinkk i spelt that wrong.. but still. I think becoming that well known must have some sort of effect on your relationships with people though, and i thought that it wasn't really the fame that bothered him, it was what came with it. Which by the sounds of it, he already knew was coming?:teehee:

Yeahh' date=' yeah. I totally agree. But obviously everyone interupts songs differently, & this is MY INTERPRETATION:naughty: Thinkk i spelt that wrong.. but still. I think becoming that well known must have some sort of effect on your relationships with people though, and i thought that it wasn't really the fame that bothered him, it was what came with it. Which by the sounds of it, he already knew was coming?:teehee:[/quote']

Sure, right, the fame thing is something that could have underlinied the whole story about Toy Boy from the quite new perspective. Especially aftar "what came with it". For him/the boy/man at the first place and then for his supposed partner.

But I've got the feeling that this song is actually about the human manipulation with the fear to be loved and be in love with someone. Anyone.:biggrin2:

Sure, right, the fame thing is something that could have underlinied the whole story about Toy Boy from the quite new perspective. Especially aftar "what came with it". For him/the boy/man at the first place and then for his supposed partner.

But I've got the feeling that this song is actually about the human manipulation with the fear to be loved and be in love with someone. Anyone.:biggrin2:

Yeahh, i actually agree. I think the song has different meanings for different people though, & the first thing i noticed was the fame aspect + love in one song? Maybe, maybe not who knows:biggrin2:

Quite possible.:thumb_yello:But I was always wondering about the image of the "meanest hag" in this song and her identity. Could it be perhaps the mother figure? I mean in the autobiographical sense?:blink: Or some female who he knew very good ?

• 2 months later...
I think i'm a bit obsessed with trying to work out the meanings of songss' date=' so i'm going to bed after this one:roftl:

Took me ages to think & write that,:biggrin2:[/quote']

OMG .. Honey, I was just thinking the same.. And i wanted to write it here but i found this and i just said ... WOOW.... you can see what I have in my head? I´m scaaaared .... :blink: I think ur words are absolutely exact!!!!

Especially part "But your momma thought there was something wrong, didn't want you sleeping with a boy too long" and then "Maybe you´d be better with a Barbie girl" ... I think that he had a man he loved.. But people didn´t want to see him with a guy.. So he thinks that it would be better for him to have a girl... Maybe i´m wrong.. But it looks like.. :)

• 11 years later...

Because of the ghost talk in the chat box I went and watched Ghostbusters again. At a certain point of the movie, I heard some music in the background which instantly made me think of Mika. Yes, from a 1984 movie.

Watch this video from 1.18 for 9 seconds and pay close attention to the background music. Video quality isn't great so you might have to turn the volume up.

Then go and listen to the very beginning of Toy Boy, about 7 seconds in.

IT'S THE SAME PIANO NOTES!

I repeat, this movie was made in 1984, a year after Mika was born!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, TinyLove_CJ said:

Because of the ghost talk in the chat box I went and watched Ghostbusters again. At a certain point of the movie, I heard some music in the background which instantly made me think of Mika. Yes, from a 1984 movie.

Watch this video from 1.18 for 9 seconds and pay close attention to the background music. Video quality isn't great so you might have to turn the volume up.

Then go and listen to the very beginning of Toy Boy, about 7 seconds in.

IT'S THE SAME PIANO NOTES!

I repeat, this movie was made in 1984, a year after Mika was born!

You’re right, it’s very similar, but I do think it’s a different key. Either way, who knows! Maybe Mika watched Ghostbusters when he was a child (I know I did!) and it stuck. 

• Like 3