TOY BOY - Lyrics Discussion

Suzy

So here's what I think:

I think it's not about the sexual orientation and it's not a 'coming out' song. But it's just my opinion. I think he wouldn't tell it trough a song and with such riddles, he'd be far more upfront or he wouldn't make a joke out of the situation as he does.

Here's what my mom thinks and what I partly do too:

She thinks it's about a bit of childhood, and how the world treats people and how people treat each other, like objects and dolls, in relationships for example, how people use each other...But she thinks it's not quite clear and that you can consider the girl that treats him badly or the boy as the people on the outside of him, and even the public, to entertain it with the sexual orientation question and set them apart from the real meaning of the song...Wich may be how the public is related to him, how people see him etc. But it doesn't have to be the public of course, it can be anyone...

Just my opinion, remember...

Absolutely agree with Keti and Amber.

agree :thumb_yello:

I agree, I don't think it's about being gay at all actually. :thumb_yello:

:wink2:

The bolded part - agreed.

About the Georgia thing, I also thnk he chose it just for the rhyme or something like that :naughty:

But I really agree with what you said :thumb_yello:

:thumb_yello:

agree :thumb_yello:

:wink2:

:thumb_yello:

I'm glad I'm not the only one...:biggrin2: I thought people would criticise me because it's all revolving about the gay/not gay question and I've never cared about it so I always dig deeper.

I like your points of view!

The voodoo thing.

As I (and Amber) have already said, the mother was jelaous of the toy her son used to spend so much time with and take so much care about. Secondly, his mother thought it was wrong for her male son to play with toys (boy toys expecially, even though the picture of a son playing with a Barbie doll 'disturbs' me even more, but I'm sure it was just a matter of sarcasm); she tears him apart from his toy. The boy leaves his toy in Georgia.

Eventually his mother gets hold of it again somehow, using it to

a) destroy it because she can't stand a fact that her son loved the toy more than her

b) get her revenge for her ex lover she had a negative experience with.

As the toy says, she's the meanest hag that has ever seen. Doing the voodoo magic tricks and everything. Something like a witch, okay? Anyway - she dresses the doll up as her former lover, dresses him up in rags, he's looking so sour that you can't even look at him.

She threw him away in the box when she got enough of 'torturing' him; sticking the voodoo pins where his eyes used to be - now he can't see the light of the day - he got blind.

And now her son is afraid of her. Or the toy boy.

Edited by keti
typpos

The voodoo thing.

As I (and Amber) have already said, the mother was jelaous of the toy her sons used to spend so much time with and take so much care about. Secondly, his mother thought it was wrong for her male son to play with toys (boy toys expecially, even though the picture of a son playing with a Barbie doll 'disturbs' me even more, but I'm sure it was just a matter of sarcasm); she tears him apart from his toy. The boy leaves his toy in Georgia.

a) destroy it because she can't stand a fact that her son loved the toy more than her

As the toy says, she's the meanest hag that has ever seen. Doing the voodoo magic tricks and everything. Something like a witch, okay? Anyway - she dresses the doll up as her former lover, dresses him up in rags, he's looking so sour that you can't even look at him.

She threw him away in the boy when she got enough of 'torturing' him; sticking the voodoo pins where his eyes used to be - now he can't see the light of the day - he got blind.

Agree... But I think the mother being jealous of the doll is just the story he wants to build up... Your point makes a lot of sence but just looking at the song like it's a story and not related to him. I think when you interpret it as being something related to him it's completely different...

The thing I don't understand is why is everyone identifying this song with Mika himself? Why do you think the story HAS to be about Mika and/or some of his former experiences? I'm sure it certainly has got something to do with it (like in every of his songs), but NOT in the WHOLE song.

Mika is not the main character of the song, it's the wind-up toy boy.

That's the thing Mika always insists on, NOT to identify a poet with all of his songs.

If we identified the songs with the poets, well, it'd be hilarious. Check out Jim Morrison's lyrics anyway.

Wether you want it or not, your creations and everyone else's has bits of you... Aswell as the songs. I think he makes the lyrics out of experiences, even stories he mades up, things about him, situations.. But all of it is very subtle.

Agree... But I think the mother being jealous of the doll is just the story he wants to build up... Your point makes a lot of sence but just looking at the song like it's a story and not related to him. I think when you interpret it as being something related to him it's completely different...

Hmmmm where did you get that? I didn't even mention Mika having anything with this toy or Mika's mom... This story is a story for itself.

And he just DID build up this story, yes? That's what he was up to anyway, just to make it look more expressive and colourful using a lot of burlesque as well, like he always does.

Hmmmm where did you get that? I didn't even mention Mika having anything with this toy or Mika's mom... This story is a story for itself.

And he just DID build up this story, yes? That's what he was up to anyway, just to make it look more expressive and colourful using a lot of burlesque as well, like he always does.

I'm not saying things are just as I think or as I say, I'm saying it's an option. We can always explore many of them, and people have different opinions and points of view. We'll only know it for sure when he reveals it, wich I doubt he will completely. :naughty:

I like this exploring, really. As long as people aren't convinced it's just one thing or what they think it's all good!

Wether you want it or not, your creations and everyone else's has bits of you... Aswell as the songs. I think he makes the lyrics out of experiences, even stories he mades up, things about him, situations.. But all of it is very subtle.

Well yes, that absolutely stands for every artist. But the artistic result, whatever it might be, can't be totally equalized with their lives, personality or experience.

Artwork (no matter whch sort of it) always has universal/general meaning, not individual or particular.

I'm not saying things are just as I think or as I say, I'm saying it's an option. We can always explore many of them, and people have different opinions and points of view. We'll only know it for sure when he reveals it, wich I doubt he will completely. :naughty:

I like this exploring, really. As long as people aren't convinced it's just one thing or what they think it's all good!

That was so diplomatic. :naughty:

You're really such a philosopher. :thumb_yello:

Well yes, that absolutely stands for every artist. But the artistic result, whatever it might be, can't be totally equalized with their lives, personality or experience.

Artwork (no matter whch sort of it) always has universal/general meaning, not individual or particular.

I know...That's why I said it can be just a story or just something they came up with. :bleh:

I speak for myself, when I create things, they always have something from me, even if I try and extract every characteristic that might point out to something in me... But it always does have something. But that doesn't mean it's for everyone.

I know...That's why I said it can be just a story or just something they came up with. :bleh:

I speak for myself, when I create things, they always have something from me, even if I try and extract every characteristic that might point out to something in me... But it always does have something. But that doesn't mean it's for everyone.

Well of course... No one can run away from themselves. That's just a fact.

Well of course... No one can run away from themselves. That's just a fact.

Unfortunately:thumbdown:

I'm liking getting this puzzle pieces together on this thread... But it's like everyone has a different one for themselves and sometimes other people's pieces fit in and other times they don't... Sorry I'm not explaining myself well:roftl: I just love to analyze this in a deeper way, even psichological.

Unfortunately:thumbdown:

I'm liking getting this puzzle pieces together on this thread... But it's like everyone has a different one for themselves and sometimes other people's pieces fit in and other times they don't... Sorry I'm not explaining myself well:roftl: I just love to analyze this in a deeper way, even psichological.

You know what, it's pretty late here and this song is very hard to interpretate. It's hard because it has got lots of vivid and expressive images and descriptions of some situations which can't be interpretated in different way.

I also think one of the main problems here is the language - the linguistic structure of English language which allows him the undefinied position between the narrator (or poet) and the person who the lyrics are reffered to.

I think it's the best for us to stop now here and to continue tomorrow - I won't be as tired as now :roftl:

You know what, it's pretty late here and this song is very hard to interpretate. It's hard because it has got lots of vivid and expressive images and descriptions of some situations which can't be interpretated in different way.

I also think one of the main problems here is the language - the linguistic structure of English language which allows him the undefinied position between the narrator (or poet) and the person who the lyrics are reffered to.

I think it's the best for us to stop now here and to continue tomorrow - I won't be as tired as now :roftl:

Yep...

I'm already going so:bye:

:naughty:

:huglove: Night!

To me, this song doesn't even have any sexual innuendos at all.

"Billy Brown" does, this one doesn't.

It's just about emotional manipulation and rejection.

I agree with you!

Although the thing of having a boy and a girl as "owners" of the toy, may open other doors, if you know what I mean.

I also agree with Carlota when she says that Mika won't reveal the true meaning of this song (if there is one) so, we'll probably never know what it is about. :wink2:

Maybe it's just the way Mika found for keeping us busy while he doesn't release the album! :lmfao:

I agree with you!

Although the thing of having a boy and a girl as "owners" of the toy, may open other doors, if you know what I mean.

I also agree with Carlota when she says that Mika won't reveal the true meaning of this song (if there is one) so, we'll probably never know what it is about. :wink2:

Maybe it's just the way Mika found for keeping us busy while he doesn't release the album! :lmfao:

Yep:bleh: We might try on the way... Though we'll never know:naughty:

Just another one..:fisch: But this one is a good one! It'll keep me busy for sure.:roftl:

Yep:bleh: We might try on the way... Though we'll never know:naughty:

Just another one..:fisch: But this one is a good one! It'll keep me busy for sure.:roftl:

He knows us so well... :roftl:

I'm glad I'm not the only one...:biggrin2: I thought people would criticise me because it's all revolving about the gay/not gay question and I've never cared about it so I always dig deeper.

I like your points of view!

I figure there are enough people on the forum that there must be someone who agrees with you, so never be afraid to post your opinion. Besides, I have very....odd beliefs and ideas so I doubt you can surprise me :naughty:

The voodoo thing.

As I (and Amber) have already said, the mother was jelaous of the toy her son used to spend so much time with and take so much care about. Secondly, his mother thought it was wrong for her male son to play with toys (boy toys expecially, even though the picture of a son playing with a Barbie doll 'disturbs' me even more, but I'm sure it was just a matter of sarcasm); she tears him apart from his toy. The boy leaves his toy in Georgia.

She threw him away in the box when she got enough of 'torturing' him; sticking the voodoo pins where his eyes used to be - now he can't see the light of the day - he got blind.

And now her son is afraid of her. Or the toy boy.

I like it, I agree :thumb_yello:

exactly, the whole thing depends on soo many things if you really think about it. So no ones opinion can really be wrong. And everyone will twist the song to fit their own life/purposes:thumb_yello:

I agree with you!

I agree, that i can see him doing. :naughty: