Mika Songs – The fact files

suzie

I was thinking that we should probably collect all the facts Mika has ever said about his songs – with special focus on the circumstances of songwriting (place, time, influence) as well as the story behind the lyrics.

Let me start with something he mentioned at Sadlers Wells as most of you did not attend that gig:

He introduced Happy Ending as the song whose demo he recorded with Ida in Chiswick and they never thought how big it would eventually become...

so, collecting simple facts is what I mean .. if you like this thread we can gather quite a bit of info ... :wink2:

Edited by suzie
  • Like 1

Great idea for a thread. As long as we bear in mind that with Mika, some facts have a tendency to evolve:teehee:

I think that may be in direct proportion to how many times he gets asked the same question in interviews.:blink:

And so have you always liked Grace Kelly Mika?:aah:

Jodi Marr wrote "If half of what you said is true, and half of what I didn't do could be different, would it make it better?" in My Interpretation :thumb_yello:

And Mika said the line could never be written by him - a man, because men never could come up and understand something like that. :roftl:

Great idea for a thread. As long as we bear in mind that with Mika, some facts have a tendency to evolve:teehee:

I think that may be in direct proportion to how many times he gets asked the same question in interviews.:blink:

And so have you always liked Grace Kelly Mika?:aah:

But that's the fun in it... the more contradiction the better :biggrin2: ...

Ok, here is a second piece of info this time on GK as you mentioned it and also from a concert :

Grace Kelly – at the Berlin concert earlier this month where GK acoustic version was the last song he said he’d play it as it originally sounded like when he wrote it in his basement flat.... ( an of course he played that wrong note at the beginning:naughty:)

:biggrin2:

anyone to differ?

Edited by suzie

I was thinking that we should probably collect all the facts Mika has ever said about his songs – with special focus on the circumstances of songwriting (place, time, influence) as well as the story behind the lyrics.

Let me start with something he mentioned at Sadlers Wells as most of you did not attend that gig:

He introduced Happy Ending as the song he wrote with Ida in Chiswick and they never thought how big it would become...

so, collecting simple facts is what I mean .. if you like this thread we can gather quite a bit of info ... :wink2:

Did he say they wrote it together? I thought he said they recorded the demo in a garage in Chiswick...

Any Other World: Introduced by Raffa, where she says that she lost her eye and her fiancee in the same week. He was "struck" by her story because he realized how fragile reality was, and wanted to put it into a song.

Did he say they wrote it together? I thought he said they recorded the demo in a garage in Chiswick...

You must be right.... She is not credited as a writer, after all...

... so I have changed that post to avoid confusion:wink2:

Edited by suzie

And Mika said the line could never be written by him - a man, because men never could come up and understand something like that. :roftl:

He also said about the second verse that if he had written it, it would be much more vindictive, or something along those lines.

yes, he said it would be too complicated for a man :naughty:

Edited by mari62
correcting typo

Or a Cheese week, as he said in Paris. :boxed:

:roftl:

He also said about the second verse that if he had written it, it would be much more vindictive, or something along those lines.

...in other words, if he had written it, it would be a completely different song:naughty:

Hi! Mika told us about that at the Cirque d'Hiver the 11th of June, Ida and him recording Happy Ending in a garage in Chiswick.:thumb_yello:

• Like 1

Billy Brown is not autobiographical.

This is my favourite fact so far..:thumb_yello:

Here comes another one from me:

Grace Kelly : the pompous riff from the chorus of Grace Kelly was inspired by Figaro’s aria in Rossini's The Barber of Seville...

(well, OK, he said Mozart’s Marriage of Figaro but you'd never find it in there in a million years, so I thought I’d save you some time and write the correct fact on that :naughty: )

This is my favourite fact so far..:thumb_yello:

Here comes another one from me:

Grace Kelly : the pompous riff from the chorus of Grace Kelly was inspired by Figaro’s aria in Rossini's The Barber of Seville...

(well, OK, he said Mozart’s Marriage of Figaro but you'd never find it in there in a million years, so I thought I’d save you some time and write the correct fact on that :naughty: )

Yes I remember this!!

And the "clonk clonk" sounds in Grace Kelly are there as a reference to a film, but can't remember what the film was. Mary Poppins?

And the "clonk clonk" sounds in Grace Kelly are there as a reference to a film, but can't remember what the film was. Mary Poppins?

Yeah, it was Mary Poppins :wink2:

a youtube' link for this "klonk klonk" on Mary poppins??

i love it,but i don't know when it happen....:blink:

and,yes,ida and him was there a long time ago,didn't think about the popularity of this song(and of mika:naughty:),and just did it,simply...

but it was in paris the last time the sang together,she had to play in opera now(and more paid,as he said:naughty:)

Yes I remember this!!

a youtube' link for this "klonk klonk" on Mary poppins??

i love it,but i don't know when it happen....:blink:

Perhaps this one?

Chim Chim Cher-ee :wink2:

...from 0:46 you can hear the clonk clonk ...:biggrin2:

Relax was inspired by the emotional emptiness after the London bombings in 2005.

The full version (but not the acoustic one) credits Nick Van Eede as well, since the song (apparently unintentionally) takes a riff from I Just Died In Your Arms Tonight by the Cutting Crew.

• Like 1

Relax was inspired by the emotional emptiness after the London bombings in 2005.

The full version (but not the acoustic one) credits Nick Van Eede as well, since the song (apparently unintentionally) takes a riff from I Just Died In Your Arms Tonight by the Cutting Crew.

Were the London Bombings really 2005? :shocked: I'm sure it was 2006?