Mika Songs – The fact files

suzie

No more facts?

This thread is meant for newbies and I expected more of you to help but anyway, here is one more from me then:

Instant Martyr: He said he wrote it about the women in his family............... And I think wrote it at a relatively early age and released the original demo -his first ever demo and that is why it means so much to him.

It appeared on the B side of the Big Girl single.

Edited by suzie
  • Like 1

Just found this site: Songfacts.com

Newbies might want to check this out..

Here is one version of the story about

Any Other World

http://www.songfacts.com/detail.php?id=9820

"There is a little spoken introduction that many people may miss. It's about a family friend of mine who lost her eye during the war in Lebanon and I realized in everyone's life their comes one point, or several points where something happens and you have to completely change the way you have lived your life because of one event. And it really makes you readjust and rethink and rejudge parts of your life all over again. That happens to some people in a dramatic way like Rafa who lost both her eye and her husband within 6 months. Or it can be in a much quieter way like when you are 22-years-old and you finally leave university after being in education all your life or when you lose your job. I wanted to put that in the song, because when you're 68 or 14, it's still the same feeling and it's still just as hard. I wanted to try to capture that quite difficult period that people have to go through at least once in their life."

• Like 1

Any Other World

"There is a little spoken introduction that many people may miss. It's about a family friend of mine who lost her eye during the war in Lebanon and I realized in everyone's life their comes one point, or several points where something happens and you have to completely change the way you have lived your life because of one event. And it really makes you readjust and rethink and rejudge parts of your life all over again. That happens to some people in a dramatic way like Rafa who lost both her eye and her husband within 6 months. Or it can be in a much quieter way like when you are 22-years-old and you finally leave university after being in education all your life or when you lose your job. I wanted to put that in the song, because when you're 68 or 14, it's still the same feeling and it's still just as hard. I wanted to try to capture that quite difficult period that people have to go through at least once in their life."

I hadn't seen that before!

Everytime this thread comes up I try to think of something but can't., so I rationalise that he doesn't talk much about his songs. Then I see another post and think (usually)- ah, yes, wonder how I forgot that

Any Other World

I hadn't seen that before!

Everytime this thread comes up I try to think of something but can't., so I rationalise that he doesn't talk much about his songs. Then I see another post and think (usually)- ah, yes, wonder how I forgot that

There was a website a long time ago where he did similar statements for all his songs on LICM, but sadly enough I have lost it since my computer crashed some time ago!

Maybe another oldie will remember or have the site address saved?:wink2:

One thing I remember is, that about the song SITM he said that his thoughts and the story about it would remain a secret!:wub2:

MIKA ON 4MUSIC: 4PLAY: MIKA

Friday 02 February 2007

------

Mika talks to 4Music abaout some of the songs on his debut album "Life In Cartoon Motion" - interspersed by extracts of songs performed live.

--

LOVE TODAY

People have a hard time trying to place my music and they always ask me, you know, “What do you do?” and I always just to say I make Pop music. But if I had to sum up my sound, you know, in a phrase I would, you know, call it hyper-psycho-babble pop’. Yeah. (laughs) That’s as close as I can get to a description anyway.

I wrote ‘Love Today’ when I was really happy and it’s kind of a command for getting everyone to feel the same way that I was feeling. At the same time it tells really odd little stories about all these different kinds of people and everyone’s trying to trying to find love, and everyone’s trying to, you know, find love or sex. But whatever way they go about it, everyone’s looking for the same thing.

People have been comparing me with so many different artists. One name that keeps coming up is the Scissor Sisters, and people compared me to Queen and Freddie Mercury, which I think is an honour, but also terrifying. You know, I think Freddie Mercury was a genius, musically and technically.

I think the best word to describe my musical influences is “psychotic”. (chuckles) It goes a little bit everywhere. I’m the worst person to play music at a party because I’ll always piss off a certain group of people. I’ll play some really hip, you know Cornelius electro music from Japan and then the next track I’ll play will be some kind of vintage original Disney recording. And that’s kind of found it’s way into my songwriting.

LOLLIPOP

I had a lot of trouble at school when I was younger. It got to a point when it was really bad. That led to me being taken out of school for about 6 – 8 months. I didn’t have anything to do during the day so my mother found me a Russian singing teacher. Her name was Alla, and she would terrorise me into practising, and it was the best thing that ever really happened to me. It was really hard. She trained me like an athlete. I didn’t realise what was happening at such an early age. I was about 11 years old.

Within a couple of months of doing that I got my first gig, which was in the chorus of a Strauss opera at the Royal Opera House.

In this other world you didn’t have to deal with reality in the same way that everybody else did and all the weird things about you actually became special and so I kind of really took to that kind of atmosphere.

I first wrote ‘Lollipop’ as a message to my little sister, basically telling her not to go and have sex too soon and to stay away from the big, bad boys, because, you know, they only want to take advantage of you and you should be a lot wiser and, you know, it’s only gonna get you down.

I wanted to empower that message and make it really, really simple, and of course play with it and make it dirty by using he euphemisms, and I kind of did that by making it almost like a nursery rhyme.

It’s just kind of gone down so well live. I never would’ve thought that I would’ve been closing a gig with the lyrics “Sucking too hard on your lollipop. Hey love’s gonna get you down.” I mean, it’s ridiculous.

I worked on the artwork with my sister. She goes by the pen name Da Wac. I started working on the visual aspect of the record about a year before I actually made it. I hadn’t chosen a producer yet and I was walking into the record company and going “Look, this is what the album’s gonna look like and I’ve come up with cartoon characters that are based on my songs”, like Billy Brown is a little cartoon character and Lollipop Girl’s based on ‘Lollipop’. I’m fascinating with the way you can deal with subjects in cartoons.

The characters can deal with pretty much anything and get away with it because they simplify things. They make them funny and they make them accessible. I think that pop songs have a similar effect and can be used for the same reasons.

BIG GIRL (YOU ARE BEAUTIFUL)

I wrote ‘Big Girl’ at 2.30 in the morning and I wrote it in 15 minutes. I couldn’t sleep so I turned on Victoria Wood’s documentary about fat people in the United States, and she went to this place called the Butterfly Lounge, which is a real bar in Costa Mesa, just outside of Los Angeles and it’s the first size acceptance nightclub ever in the world, and I just saw the images on the screen. I muted the sound and I wrote the song ‘cos I felt like they needed an anthem and I really felt that I was the person had to do it.

GRACE KELLY

‘Grace Kelly’ - I wrote it a couple of years ago as a little ‘screw you’ song to the people that I was working with – this music company in London. They wanted me to write songs just like everybody else, so I was furious. I went home and I wrote ‘Grace Kelly’, as you know, as a rant against them, but about 2 years later to have it do so well and to have it released as my first single, we all know who’s laughing now. (smiles, raises eyebrow)

My album has a kind of coming-of-age to it. I deal with the law of transitions - transition stories in a way on the record, except I connect – hype them up to a level where they’re almost unreal, and THAT is the cartoon quality which I refer to in the title of the album Life In Cartoon Motion.

What’s in the future for me? I’ve absolutely no idea. I really wanna be in this for the long term. I think there’s so many fine musical things that you can do when you have the right support behind you and I hope that I can keep getting that support to make records with the same amount of freedom that I got to make this one with.

END.

• Like 1

There was a website a long time ago where he did similar statements for all his songs on LICM, but sadly enough I have lost it since my computer crashed some time ago!

Maybe another oldie will remember or have the site address saved?:wink2:

MIKA ON 4MUSIC: 4PLAY: MIKA

Friday 02 February 2007

------

:doh:

Thank you both for reminding me of this article in The Sun:thumb_yello:

... it is from March 2007 I guess and towards the end he talks about the songs.....Good that I saved it... ( I tend to save all the interviews and good reviews)

MIKA - Life in Cartoon Motion

Rating - 4

SO Mika, how does it feel to be No1 with Grace Kelly?

“Slightly surreal!”

How has your life changed?

“It’s all gone Willy Wonka!”

How would you sum up your sound and style?

“Psychobabble, schizophrenic, hyper-pop!”

To say that Mika is excited about the success of his all-conquering new single is putting it mildy.

But, as SFTW discovered this week, the tousle-haired dandy has also got his feet firmly on the ground.

“I would be lying if I didn’t say it feels equally scary and amazing,” he says. “Although it looks like things have happened quite quickly, they’ve been in the works a long time.

“I’ve got a lot of music to deliver over the coming months and that’s what I am looking forward to. Playing the album live through the rest of the year hopefully means there’ll be a few more people along for the ride.”

“It was weird when I found out I was No 1. It was like an unreal dream.”

Grace Kelly is an insanely infectious song that fits into a grand glam-pop tradition, a little bit Freddie (Mercury), a little bit Scissors, a little bit Elton.

Mika ... life has gone 'Willy Wonka'

“It’s funny because it’s a song I wrote on my piano at home in about 15 minutes and its still so weird and exciting to hear it on the radio let alone having other people buy it! It’s all got quite silly so I’m just going with it and having fun.”

Ultimately, the song the work of a singular, refreshing new talent, justifying “saviour of pop” claims. Furthermore, his debut album Life In Cartoon Motion (out Monday) is loaded with future hits.

There’s been much talk of the 23-year-old’s upbringing, first in Lebanon, then Paris, then London, but SFTW set out to get to the heart of his music.

What, I wondered, did he make of the comparisons with those greats of popular music?

“Actually, Harry Nilsson is my musical hero. I’m completely obsessed with his early work. Its often overlooked but its absolutely amazing, whimsical, funny, dark, childish yet fully grown up. He’s definitely an inspiration.”

As for being mentioned in the same breath as icons like Mercury, he says: “When you come from nowhere, people have to compare you to something and I’m just glad I’m being compared to people I really like.

“I aspire to the musicianship of a band like Queen, to be compared to Freddie Mercury in any way is a huge compliment. I’ve seen some similarities but I think its still early to make definitive comparisons.”

It all seems light years from the day Mika was rejected by Simon Cowell who even told him to stop writing. He has few regrets though:

“You really have to give him proper respect for what he’s been able to achieve. He’s a pop marketing genius.

“But would he have been the right person to make the record with me? Absolutely not! And I’m thankful I never had the opportunity.”

Another key aspect of the Mika package is the stunning visuals on his singles and album and on the official website.

Album ... Life in Cartoon Motion

He says: “I developed it very early on with my sister, pen name DaWack. I was inspired by artists who create their own visual world like Bowie and Prince. Back then album artwork was so important.

“These days you pick out albums and you can tell the artwork was designed to a formula — nothing to do with the musicians, just a means of packaging.

“I didn’t want it to be about packaging. I wanted it to be very much part of a whole visual world completely linked to the music.”

So was it Mika’s mission to shake the pop world up a bit? “My only mission is to have the freedom to make the records – I have no mission in terms of what other people are doing.

"The only thing I didn’t want to be when I started was another singer-songwriter looking at his shoes making nice music for dinner parties.”

Here, in his words, Mika guides us through the ten tracks of Life In Cartoon Motion.

Grace Kelly

I wrote this song as a little sticky to the music industry a couple of years back.

I was working with a big music company in London that wanted to mould me into what they felt would turn me into a commercial success, which was Craig David at the time.

They told me I needed to make a record more like what everyone expected pop records to be — and be like Craig David.

I knew that would lead to complete disaster. So I came back home and I wrote Grace Kelly that night. From that point on, I made a decision to write in the way I wanted to and not how someone else told me to.

Lollipop

This was a message to my little sister, telling her not to have sex too soon — because it would mean something very different to guys than it would to her — and so be very careful.

But I had a lot of fun getting my message across in the melody and lyric!

The little girl is my cousin, one of the most hilarious girls I have ever met. So when the opportunity came up to use a child’s voice in Lollipop she was the only person I had in mind.

I put her up in a snazzy Hollywood hotel and she was completely spoilt for about four days, like a true star.

Grace Kelly ... written in 15 minutes

My Interpretation

This is a break-up song. It’s hard to write this sort of song. They often sound quite fake or trite so I guess I’ve Mika’ed it up so it still sounds like a good song with a darker lyric.

Love Today

I was really happy when I wrote this and when I’m in that kind of mood I always hope everyone else feels the same way.

Everybody is looking for the same thing — to love someone and be loved back. Or just to get laid. It all depends on how you look for it.

Love Today captures that, the euphoric feeling you get when those things go right.

Relax (Take it Easy)

I always wanted to write a dance song that wasn’t a really full dance track, that felt organic. So when I came into producing Relax I made sure that most of the sounds we used were actually made by real instruments.

We used some great session musicians who had worked with Quincy Jones and Michael Jackson.

And we picked up the strangest pedal combinations to get all these weird sounds.

It’s really effective . . . you can’t tell if it’s a full dance track or really laid-back. It feels a bit weird electronically.

The organic-ness gives a more classic field to it. So it was one of the harder tracks for me to produce, but also the most rewarding.

Any Other World

There is a little spoken introduction that many people may miss.

It’s a family friend of mine who lost her eye during the war in Lebanon and I realised in everyone’s life their comes one point — or several points — where something happens and you have to completely change the way you have lived your life because of one event.

And it really makes you readjust and rethink and rejudge parts of your life all over again.

That happens to some people in a dramatic way like Rafa who lost both her eye and her husband within six months. Or it can be in a much quieter way like when you are 22-years-old and you finally leave university after being in education all your life or when you lose your job.

Singer ... obsessed with Harry Nilsson

I wanted to put that in the song, because when you’re 68 or 14, it’s still the same feeling and it’s still just as hard.

I wanted to try to capture that quite difficult period that people have to go through at least once in their life.

Billy Brown

I just thought it was a brilliant story to put into a pop song — the idea of a man leaving his wife for another man. I really don’t know why it hasn’t been done before.

When you’re writing songs, you always want to play with intrigue and you always want to pull certain strings. The point of writing pop music is that, in a way, you can write about anything.

And it’s amazing how many younger listeners really love it and really identify with this little character Billy Brown, this cartoon character.

A few of my cousins are all around 12 to 15 years old. This is their favourite song. They find it funny and sweet.

Big Girl (You Are Beautiful)

I was flying to Los Angeles and I can never sleep because I hate flying so much.

So I was watching trashy television, it was two o’clock in the morning, a Victoria Wood documentary on Channel 4.

It was about fat people in the United States and she visited a club called the The Butterfly Lounge, which was the first place of its kind, a club for larger women to hang out in.

Skinny women were not being allowed in. The women were amazing and I absolutely felt as if I had to write about them.

I muted the television and wrote it straight away.

I never expected it on the album, but a few weeks later we recorded it and it’s now there.

So it is one of my favourite tracks and brilliant to play live. Everyone sings along!

Stuck in the Middle

(Mika wanted the story of this song kept a secret but here is SFTW’s view).

With its honky-tonk piano and bouncy tune, perhaps the nearest song on the album to the work of Mika’s hero Harry Nilsson.

Clearly the lyrics are very personal to the singer, stuck in the middle of something turbulent but, for the listener, open to interpretation.

Happy Ending

It’s about a few things. In a way, it’s a kind of sad break-up song like My Interpretation.

But, at the same time, it’s about a lot of other things.

• Like 1

:doh:

Thank you both for reminding me of this article in The Sun:thumb_yello:

... it is from March 2007 I guess and towards the end he talks about the songs.....Good that I saved it... ( I tend to save all the interviews and good reviews)

MIKA - Life in Cartoon Motion

Rating - 4

SO Mika, how does it feel to be No1 with Grace Kelly?

“Slightly surreal!”

How has your life changed?

“It’s all gone Willy Wonka!”

How would you sum up your sound and style?

“Psychobabble, schizophrenic, hyper-pop!”

To say that Mika is excited about the success of his all-conquering new single is putting it mildy.

But, as SFTW discovered this week, the tousle-haired dandy has also got his feet firmly on the ground.

“I would be lying if I didn’t say it feels equally scary and amazing,” he says. “Although it looks like things have happened quite quickly, they’ve been in the works a long time.

“I’ve got a lot of music to deliver over the coming months and that’s what I am looking forward to. Playing the album live through the rest of the year hopefully means there’ll be a few more people along for the ride.”

“It was weird when I found out I was No 1. It was like an unreal dream.”

Grace Kelly is an insanely infectious song that fits into a grand glam-pop tradition, a little bit Freddie (Mercury), a little bit Scissors, a little bit Elton.

Awwww, Mika's life have become ME! :blush-anim-cl::biggrin2::mf_rosetinted:

This was the exact article I was reading last year while registering here, so when I was asked for a username...Willywonka seemed the perfect thing to use...

How i regret it now, when most people started calling me willy...:roftl:

• Like 1

Stuck in the Middle

(Mika wanted the story of this song kept a secret but here is SFTW’s view).

With its honky-tonk piano and bouncy tune, perhaps the nearest song on the album to the work of Mika’s hero Harry Nilsson.

Clearly the lyrics are very personal to the singer, stuck in the middle of something turbulent but, for the listener, open to interpretation.

My favourite song all times!:wub2:

And I love so much what he's been doing with it on the acoustic tour, all the playfulness!

great team work suzie, i remember that one too but could not find it in my upside down inside out hard disk!:roftl:

Oh I know!:blush-anim-cl:

I bought an extern memory, a cute little black box, and my goal for the summer is to make a nice and tidy organisation on it!

What's wrong with Willy?

I'm Swedish and I know noooothing about English slang!:teehee:

Awwww, Mika's life have become ME! :blush-anim-cl::biggrin2::mf_rosetinted:

This was the exact article I was reading last year while registering here, so when I was asked for a username...Willywonka seemed the perfect thing to use...

Would it make you feel better if I called you Wonka?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Wonkabar2.jpg

:naughty:

and there's a statement about Happy Ending being about loosing everything..and that the song came to his mind watching a homeless man in los angeles?:blink:

....yes, I remember that, too. Also, that we were discussing how the video for HE might feature homeless people....:blink:...

My favourite song all times!:wub2:

And I love so much what he's been doing with it on the acoustic tour, all the playfulness!

Oh I know!:blush-anim-cl:

I bought an extern memory, a cute little black box, and my goal for the summer is to make a nice and tidy organisation on it!

What's wrong with Willy?

I'm Swedish and I know noooothing about English slang!:teehee:

:mf_rosetinted:

Would it make you feel better if I called you Wonka?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Wonkabar2.jpg

:naughty:

:thumb_yello::biggrin2:

• Like 1

Any Other World

Hehe, I submitted that to SongFacts! =P

• Like 1

*imagines mika reading through thread*

' i said that? ooh, thats why i wrote that song.."

to clear up confusion about happy ending:

"people think its a break up song, but its not. its more about losing.. things.

After it was recorded i thought how its fits with the homesless - so yeah, if i ever make a video for happy ending i would like it to be about the homeless."

that was a radio interveiw in japan i think?

• 2 months later...

Mika On 'We Are Golden' and 'The Boy Who Knew Too Much':

"(We Are Golden) is such a good starting point for the story I'm telling on the record. It's about my feelings I had when I was a teenager, and no matter how bad anything got, I always turned towards music to make myself feel like I was worth something. My second album is about feeling comfortable with the fact that I write my kind of pop music, and not apologising about anything, and in the process enabling me to drop so many of the complexes I've had over the past few years, if I'm dancing around in a bedroom on my own for my music video, it's for a reason, especially if I'm in my underwear, it's for a reason, it's a statement on my part saying, "you know what? This is how I got here, and this is how I'm gonna celebrate the fact that I am here, and keep doing what I wanna do, for the reasons that I started doing them in the first place."

Mika on "Toy Boy":

'I read this interview with Paul McCartney once and he said how he always likes to combine dark lyrics with happy sounding music and he called it empowerment, and I clung to that theory and one of the people I'm really influenced by, Harry Nilsson, in a way to me is the ultimate master of doing that, very dark twisted lyrics, but with the most embrasive, almost nursery rhyme like meloldies, and it really hits you harder, it exaggerates everything really. I guess I like to combine quite dark or bitter sounding lyrics, lyrics that are quite tied down to realistic situations, but then combine it with really happy sounding music, really joyful sounding pop music, and it's that combination that I think is becoming a bit of my signature in songs.'

Source: The album's 'Making Of' interview.

Edited by Nollaig
  • Like 1

Mika On 'We Are Golden' and 'The Boy Who Knew Too Much':

"(We Are Golden) is such a good starting point for the story I'm telling on the record. It's about my feelings I had when I was a teenager, and no matter how bad anything got, I always turned towards music to make myself feel like I was worth something. My second album is about feeling comfortable with the fact that I write my kind of pop music, and not apologising about anything, and in the process enabling me to drop so many of the complexes I've had over the past few years, if I'm dancing around in a bedroom on my own for my music video, it's for a reason, especially if I'm in my underwear, it's for a reason, it's a statement on my part saying, "you know what? This is how I got here, and this is how I'm gonna celebrate the fact that I am here, and keep doing what I wanna do, for the reasons that I started doing them in the first place."

Mika on "Toy Boy":

'I read this interview with Paul McCartney once and he said how he always likes to combine dark lyrics with happy sounding music and he called it empowerment, and I clung to that theory and one of the people I'm really influenced by, Harry Nilsson, in a way to me is the ultimate master of doing that, very dark twisted lyrics, but with the most embrasive, almost nursery rhyme like meloldies, and it really hits you harder, it exaggerates everything really. I guess I like to combine quite dark or bitter sounding lyrics, lyrics that are quite tied down to realistic situations, but then combine it with really happy sounding music, really joyful sounding pop music, and it's that combination that I think is becoming a bit of my signature in songs.'

Source: The album's 'Making Of' interview.

:thumb_yello: :thumb_yello: :thumb_yello: :thumb_yello: :thumb_yello: :thumb_yello: :thumb_yello: :thumb_yello: :thumb_yello: :thumb_yello: :thumb_yello: :thumb_yello:

• 11 years later...
On 4/11/2021 at 4:48 AM, jodi marr said:

Jodi Marr here.. cowriter of GK. Actually..The line is actually from The Country Girl, starring Grace Kelly. In the movie it reads as "Last time we talked Mr. Dodd, you reduced me to tears.

@jodi marr

Thanks a million for posting the Grace Kelly Fact !!!:wub2:

Mika's "Grace Kelly" begins with the quote

"Last time we talked, Mr Smith, you reduced me to tears. I promise you it won't happen again."

The original line is slightly different:

"Last time we talked, Mr Dodd, you reduced me to tears. I promise you it won't happen again."

It's from the film "Country Girl", for which Grace Kelly won an Academy Award in 1954. Directed by George Seaton. Also starring are Bing Crosby and the ever so handsome William Holden.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3