MIKA @ Le Poisson Rouge, NY - June 23 2009 - reports, photos and videos

guylainem123

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh and when we thanked him for the gigs and the tour, he actually told us that it was great to have us follow him around, that he loves seeing our faces at the front all the time at the different places, and he actually told Mana and I that when he saw us there, "he knew that it would be a good one", hahaha! That must have been one of the sweetest things he's said, seriously. He's such a sweetheart, I mean, how can one not melt when he says things like that. Sigh.

I fully understand that... I think he feels secure when he sees familiar faces around him at gigs... :wink2:

I guess it is partly because you are kind of an additional security force and also because the core fanbase guarantees a great time ('you make them dance' :naughty:)..... I mean, he does not have to work hard to win the audience since you are at his feet from the start ....

:biggrin2:

OOh, we forgot to mention the restaurant.

After he came out, and had the brief chat with the line (it was raining, so he just went down sort of fast, though he did take his time to say something personal to all of us, and make sure that he stopped for a bit), we walked for what felt like 5 hours :roftl: in the rain, until we got to

Chinatown and found the restaurant that Mommylovesmika had recommended as the one place which was open 24 hours. At some point during this 'trek' we somehow managed to lose Suzy and hubby, and to this point I still don't know how or when they disappeared :roftl:.

Deb decided that she was not hungry, so she went off to hotel before we went to find the restaurant.

We just all sat there at this round table reminiscing about the day/night, and feeling really depressed about the fact that it was all over for now.

Oh, and some (:naughty: not pointing any fingers or naming names) were more than a little tipsy, so that was quite funny, but we shall leave it to them to explain if they want to :naughty:.

After dinner we went back on a treck to the hotel where most of us were staying, said our goodbyes, and here we are now feeling too high to go to sleep...

Sitting in our hotel room with Sunshine931 and Cassiopee, trying to gather our thoughts.

It's been ****IN AAAAMAAAAZING!! Seriously. The energy was incredible, we were like right on top of the tiny stage, it was very similar to the setup at The Roxy, and Mika was relishing it.

Queuing was fun, we spent tons of time doing the usual gossiping/chatting/moaning that we were tired :naughty:, and the icecream van was just an incredible touch.

We worked very well with the security and Team Mika, enforcing the numbers/time of arrival system, and it paid off. Of course you always get a few asses who try their luck at cheating the system, but luckily karma worked its magic and we all got the positions that we deserved based on the arrival time. I still can't get my head around the fact that some people are that selfish and bad, but I guess that at this stage in my Mika gig queuing career I should know better .

On another order of things, I can't believe that Mika actually fleeted that icecream van for us. It was also high quality ice cream, not just any crappy old thing. It was also very cute that, as Kate was saying, Mika's family kept coming over to remind us that we had to have some free icrecream, on Mika. So sweet.

The gig:From the start it was so clear that the crowd was totally up for it, and of course he picked up on this and it magnified his own energy.

We were to the left of the stage, practically on top of the piano (it was tiiiny), and got tons of eye contact and lovely smiles from Mika while he sung.

At one point during Rain, he smirked and pointed his mike at Mana and I asking us to sing :roftl:. It was hilarious.

A bit of a downer was the fact that some rude peeps were chatting away during Over My Shoulder, and Mika kept shushing the crowd, but of course some would just keep speaking and making noise throughoutthe song. Dan looked a bit bothered by that as well. It's just rude, and it upsets me.

We tried to make them stfu and of course these things don't really work, but hey, we tried :naughty:.

Anyway, the gig was absolutely fantastic. Fantastic. He just gave his whole heart, and totally lost himself in the music. He did an especially heartfelt performance of Lonely Alcoholic, which was incredibly beautiful, and Happy Ending was also particularly amazing tonight.

Since we got into the venue, and saw that we were standing right next to the celesta (spelling??) where Mika does Toyboy, Christine, Deb and I were super excited thinking: OMG, he's going to be standing here while we lean onto the instrument (we were literally squashed against it!!), so we were gleefully looking forward to Toy Boy :wub2:.

Little did we expect that, when he started, some over excited girls who were standing next to us started touching him whilst he was starting the song, and to be honest, I think that it was this and not the slight feedback problem that caused him to retreat back to the safety of the piano.

In any case, it was one of the best performances that I've seen of Toy Boy. In fact, I will say that, except for the one at The Roxy (which will always remain the best in my mind because it was the first time that he did it and you could tell how much it meant to him to see the audience's reaction), this was the best Toy Boy that he's done. IMO of course.

He was SO excited!! HE kept smiling and laughing and repeating that we were fooking amazing, etc, and you could just tell how thrilled he was. Obviously, so were we, so it was a great combination.

He told us that he had a cold/sore throat and he was losing his voice, but that we were the best crowd to lose it with, implying that we were helping him so much. It was really touching.

At one point I noticed that he kept doing this thing with his hand at us, towards the place where Mana and I were (really, the two of us are a TERRIBLE combination when it comes to front row fangurliness :roftl:) like saying 'come up!', but it was so subtle that I didn't quite know if he meant that he wanted us to go on stage or not...He kept doing it and then did it again for another song, at which point it actually looked like he was going to grab Mana's hand, so we just jumped on the stage because it was just really clear to me that he was asking us to do that.

I think that *cough* I may have been the first one to get up there *cough* , but in any case we had a full stage a few seconds later so hey, it was fun.

After the gig we were a bit worried that he wasn't actually asking for the stage invasion, so someone (I think Mana?) asked him if that was what he wanted, and he said that yes, that was what he was trying to do, to get us up there.

It was good to get the confirmation, as we've always had this conversation where some people think that he's clearly asking for it, and others think that he's not unless he specifically pulls people up. So, mistery solved :naughty:.

Oh and when we thanked him for the gigs and the tour, he actually told us that it was great to have us follow him around, that he loves seeing our faces at the front all the time at the different places, and he actually told Mana and I that when he saw us there, "he knew that it would be a good one", hahaha! That must have been one of the sweetest things he's said, seriously. He's such a sweetheart, I mean, how can one not melt when he says things like that. Sigh.

Ok, this is all for just now. Cassiopee has dropped off to Mika dream land so Sunshine and I will now see if we missed anything and post again if we come up with some new stuff.

amazing report sara:wub2: t4p

He was way more himself and free and comfortable than he was in Europe if you ask me.

at the end, a very special version of Love Today with a string orchestra.

aaaaah great to hear this!!!!

OOh, we forgot to mention the restaurant.

After he came out, and had the brief chat with the line (it was raining, so he just went down sort of fast, though he did take his time to say something personal to all of us, and make sure that he stopped for a bit), we walked for what felt like 5 hours :roftl: in the rain, until we got to

Chinatown and found the restaurant that Mommylovesmika had recommended as the one place which was open 24 hours. At some point during this 'trek' we somehow managed to lose Suzy and hubby, and to this point I still don't know how or when they disappeared :roftl:.

Deb decided that she was not hungry, so she went off to hotel before we went to find the restaurant.

We just all sat there at this round table reminiscing about the day/night, and feeling really depressed about the fact that it was all over for now.

Oh, and some (:naughty: not pointing any fingers or naming names) were more than a little tipsy, so that was quite funny, but we shall leave it to them to explain if they want to :naughty:.

After dinner we went back on a treck to the hotel where most of us were staying, said our goodbyes, and here we are now feeling too high to go to sleep...

So..... New York is obviously the town where you should be if you want to have a meal in the middle of the night!:roftl:

Not London.

Not Berlin.

At one point during Rain, he smirked and pointed his mike at Mana and I asking us to sing :roftl:. It was hilarious.

His faithful followers…. the love must be mutual!:wub2:

Told you so!:wub2::naughty:

Like I said in the other thread....he is a man who loves to have his family around...I think he consider you his little MFC family!:wub2:

Thank you Sariflor and Sunshine931 for a very interesting report!

I'm so happy to hear you had a great time!:wub2:

thank you everyone for reports and pics!!! :flowers2:

Ice Cream Truck was THE BEST ice cream. So nice. Mika's mom and brother kept coming out, telling us to get more. It was free.

aww!!! how sweet from them!!

Anyway, the gig was absolutely fantastic. Fantastic. He just gave his whole heart, and totally lost himself in the music.

how much do i love this man!!!! :blush-anim-cl:

BAHHH IT WAS AMAZING!!!!!

i have pounding headache from queuing since 11am.... so i'm going to sleep and i'll save the story for tomorrow

but i took lots of fabulous pics and videos.... and i'll be sure to post them tomorrow!!!!!

thats a promise! xoxo

and mika looked amazing! he was losing his voice because he said he had a sore-ish throat.... poor guy

That worries me a bit, that he is losing his voice, again...I mean, it also happened on his other tour...:blink:

Great to see reports and pics already here. Thanks guys!

Here is one I like...no watermark would be better.

88651440.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF19356863F2C054EB2667097927083AAFA62E30A760B0D811297

I love the shark teeth sleeves:wub2:

So who wrote to arjanwrites with the photos???

http://www.arjanwrites.com/arjanwrites/2009/06/mika.html

It's Mika on the mica!Mika returned to New York City last night for a stripped down acoustic gig at La Poisson Rouge, an intimate venue on Bleeker Street. The show is part of a small club tour that has taken the British pop singer to Montreal, London, Paris, Brussels and Amsterdam to warm up fans for his upcoming new full-length album. The yet-untitled LP is expected in September.

Fans lined up outside the theater early in the morning in full anticipation of Mika's gig. When the singer received word via Twitter about the fans waiting, he sent out an ice cream truck to provide some cool comfort in the afternoon heat.

Set against a fantastical silvery stage and backed by a full-string section, a refreshed looking Mika not only played his big hits like "Grace Kelly," "Happy Ending" and "Love Today," but he also performed some of his newer work.

He played tracks from his recent digital EP, titled "Songs For Sorrow," including "Lady Jane," "Lonely Alcoholic," "Blue Eyes," and the very orchestral "Toy Boy." He jokingly dedicated "Lonely Alcoholic" to Village Voice columnist Michael Musto who recently interviewed him.

While patiently ssshing the excited crowd once in a while ("ssshh... this is an acoustic show"), the singer also performed two songs from his upcoming new album, the touching piano ballad "

" and the playful "
." In true festive Mika fashion, glitters and balloons were blown into the crowd for set closer "Lollipop," that was followed by the gig's final encore, "Relax (Take It Easy)."

Check out more images of the gig here. (Images by Followthesound - Thanks to Mika fans for contacting me, You are an amazing bunch.)

:fangurl: = Arjan

Edited by Blue Sky

So who wrote to arjanwrites with the photos???

http://www.arjanwrites.com/arjanwrites/2009/06/mika.html

It's Mika on the mica!Mika returned to New York City last night for a stripped down acoustic gig at La Poisson Rouge, an intimate venue on Bleeker Street. The show is part of a small club tour that has taken the British pop singer to Montreal, London, Paris, Brussels and Amsterdam to warm up fans for his upcoming new full-length album. The yet-untitled LP is expected in September.

Fans lined up outside the theater early in the morning in full anticipation of Mika's gig. When the singer received word via Twitter about the fans waiting, he sent out an ice cream truck to provide some cool comfort in the afternoon heat.

Set against a fantastical silvery stage and backed by a full-string section, a refreshed looking Mika not only played his big hits like "Grace Kelly," "Happy Ending" and "Love Today," but he also performed some of his newer work.

He played tracks from his recent digital EP, titled "Songs For Sorrow," including "Lady Jane," "Lonely Alcoholic," "Blue Eyes," and the very orchestral "Toy Boy." He jokingly dedicated "Lonely Alcoholic" to Village Voice columnist Michael Musto who recently interviewed him.

While patiently ssshing the excited crowd once in a while ("ssshh... this is an acoustic show"), the singer also performed two songs from his upcoming new album, the touching piano ballad "

" and the playful "
." In true festive Mika fashion, glitters and balloons were blown into the crowd for set closer "Lollipop," that was followed by the gig's final encore, "Relax (Take It Easy)."

Check out more images of the gig here. (Images by Followthesound - Thanks to Mika fans for contacting me, You are an amazing bunch.)

:fangurl: = Arjan

hmmm bs.... montreal??? :shocked:

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe that's the same jacket that he wore at Sadler's Wells lol :naughty:

Glad everyone had a lovely time and thankyou for the pictures!!

He wore it in Amsterdam as well.

Thanks for all of the reports and pics so far!:thumb_yello: